main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Create a banner for Census & Games! [always open]

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by TheBoogieMan, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I spoke with The2ndQuest about it a while back, and sent him a few banners for the SSSW forum for consideration, but no action has been taken thus far.

Also, I revised my current submission a bit in an attempt to rectify the feeling of emptiness that it seemed to have:

Clicky

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    It's a very good banner, graphically speaking. Congratulations on that.

I have two issues though - firstly, as Sape has alluded to, the theme is not very 'Census-y' and is probably more suited to SSSW. I really like my banners to have something to do with the forum, theme wise.

Secondly, you forgot the "and Games" in the banner. :p

3. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    [face_blush]

I'll work on a new one that's more suited to this forum soon.

4. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I appreciate your hard work. :)

5. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  6. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    It looks absolutely fantastic. Really, I love how you've done it. The art is great.

But again, how does it really relate to this forum? I don't know who a lot of those people are (not an EU fan here [face_blush] ) but I don't detect a common theme.

In the current banner, for example, you have a Senate theme, and thus a voting theme, which has obvious meaning for the forum.

7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    It's really quite simple.

1) The image of the Rogue pilot on the bottom of the sidebar - he is in deep contemplation on what choice he should pick on the latest poll. He's eliminated 7 of the 9 answers, but can't decide between Jaina and Daala on who the hottest chick in the galaxy is.

2) Grand Admiral Thrawn - he is staring us down, demanding that we choose the choice that he picked. He is very adamant that majority rules. We all know he rules, so he should have the majority on his side.

3) Luke Skywalker - he is attempting to use a Jedi Mind Trick and make us pass on his suggestion for a poll. What kind of poll it is is confidential information.

4) Maerek - He's getting ready to fight us over who's poll should be chosen in the suggestion thread.

5) Wedge Antilles and Tyria hiding from stormtroopers - The two are debating on which stormtrooper is their favorite, as they are in the latest poll.

6) Asajj vs. Anakin - Asajj was upset at Anakin's vote, so she decided to fight him over it.

7) Lumiya - she's here for the cake.

8) Grievous vs. Jedi - same reason as Asajj vs. Anakin. The female Jedi voted Human over Machine, thus enraging Grievous.

9) Koffi - same as the Rogue pilot.

It all depends on how you look at it. I never noticed the Senate theme, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense.

;)

8. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    LOL!

=D=

Change the wording to Literature and you have a brilliant banner there.

9. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    [face_laugh]

I'm not 100% sure I buy that. :p

10. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Aw, c'mon. That explanation was flawless!

:p

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Knock knock.

Just curious as to the progression of banners. :)

Not that I have any complaints, but I'm just checking in for dear Zebra. :p

12. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Here's a banner I've been working on.:)

http://obix1.com/CensusBanner06/banner_page.html

13. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Nice stylesheet. :p

Nice banner! You don't mind some thoughts I hope? :)

I very much like the theme of the banner. Good thought on that one. And I absolutely love the chance cube. Very fitting. :D

Some thoughts might be to add another small podracing person/spectator on Obi-Wan's left. I'm not sure, it just seems empty in a way on his shoulder. Not the most critical thing, though. The maroon colour down the side doesn't appear to fit with anything else in the banner to me, perhaps a simple black or beige may suit it better. I'm also a fan of distinguishable fonts in banners, something a bit more stylish than just plain text.

:)

14. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002

Thanks! And not at all. :)

Very good ideas, thanks for the feedback! I'll get to work on it right away. :cool:

15. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    Allright, here's an updated version:

http://obix1.com/CensusBanner06/banner_page2.html

What do you guys think? :)

16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
  17. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    Thanks for the stylesheet, dude! That rocks. :D

And cool deal, I'll work with the font some more. Maybe a "deeper" drop shadow and such would help. [face_thinking] :)

18. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Ack! This is the problem with sticky threads! I'm really sorry, I haven't been ignoring you guys, I just didn't notice any new posts in here! My most sincerey apologies.

Yes, I'm just fixing something for her before we upload it. After I've finished my essays (this weekend, or thenabouts) we should have it up, I'd guess.

OBIX1 - Great banner! I really like what you've done. It fits with the games aspect of this forum very well, while still being very original and creative. The chance cube idea is brilliant, and is executed very well.

Tyi, I love the stylesheet you did for it. It brings out the banner very well.

All in all, I'd say that with perhaps a little tweaking done on the text, this is a banner I'd be very happy to upload. My only quibble - the heads stick out a bit. I'm not 100% sure what you could do to fix this, and make them blend in better, but there you are. Perhaps (are you using Photoshop?) if you used a colour filter on them, or a mask with a gradient? Not sure if that helps, but all I mean is that at the moment the lighting on their figures makes them stand out a little too much from the background of the banner.

19. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    Thank you very much! I'm glad you like it. And no problem, I can work on the heads. I'm using PhotoPlus 6.0 (sort of a cheaper version of photoshop) but anyway I'm sure I can find some way to fix that up. :)

Oh, and here's some work on the text: (it's the same font as before, it just has some shading and such now)

http://obix1.com/CensusBanner06/banner_page2.html

You guys let me know if that makes it blend better. If not, I can play around with some different fonts. :)

20. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Thanks for that Boogie. :)

I noticed that about the heads as well, especially regarding Watto. But not being familiar with any form of Photoshopping abilities ( :p) it wasn't really a concern of mine.

OBIX1; The shading looks much better, yes!! :D Although, I happened to notice something when flicking between pages. For instance...

open this page (latest);

and then this page (what you had before);

...and flick quickly between them, staring at the text (and around it). Did something mess up there? :confused:

I wouldn't mind a play with the fonts as well, to be honest. :)

21. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    Allright, all issues should be fixed now. :D

http://obix1.com/CensusBanner06/banner_page3.html

What I did, was re-pasted the faces/heads on again, and changed the lighting. So, if they look just slightly different, that's why. :) (The only one I couldn't fix though was Watto. I tried, and it just looked worse. :()

Also, I'll get some more font styles up later tonight. :)

22. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
  23. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
  24. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    My pick. :D Different view.

(Sorry, was easier to see with the stylesheet on my test pages. ;))

Excellent work OBIX1! This banner looks great! =D=

25. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    Thanks! Yeah, I think that font looks good too. :)

Thanks again man for your all your help, and for the stylesheet! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.