main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Creating a Droid Army

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by jack_sogaard, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I have atm maya 6.5...i started learning it few weeks ago.

You should then learn MEL as well. The book Maya Secrets from the Pros v. 1 has a simple crowd script (crowd in a stadium), which you might be able to extend.

Is a space battle done differently or does the crowd effect still apply to ships?

The underlying basics are the same. You could create a particle system, apply some rules or flocking type behavior and then substitute the particles for geometry. Probably hero ships would still be better to do by hand.

2. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Yes hero ships can be done by hand, but a bunch of droid fighter would work great with that particle system idea. how to you change the particles into geomtry? or to the ships I should say?

~Rory

3. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    It's in your Maya manual. But basically you go to the Particles menu and select Instancer (Replacement). It's basic use is simple but I would recommend checking the docs.

4. Kchr1ss

Kchr1ss Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    Downloading, Niko, ur trailer...Ok nice, i see it works quite well, the red troopers well so realistic there...and the battle scene too but the animation of fighters were bit strange, the gravity wasnt or sth like that...i liked the music :)

I havent tried that battle thing yet... i did add a droid control ship, a planet for background and a legacy ISD and my pc coulnt handle it much, it was quite slow the editing... so i guess i cant deal with it until i get new pc :(...so i have to stick mostly with lightsaber scenes, or just smaller cgi scenes...

Kristian

5. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Try looking into layers and compositing my young apprentice. Put together much you can, using these methods you will.

6. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    ^ ^

Did someone just see Episode 3? ;)

7. DSinTX

DSinTX Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2005
    This tutorial is lightwave specific but may help.

8. Hart-Film

Hart-Film Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2004
    Wasn't there something called Blender People?

9. wildcat69410

wildcat69410 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2004
    Yep, here's a link.

It's actually not too shabby, especially consdering that it's completely free, and works for a completely free 3d program. It's pretty good in a few things, ease of use, presets, fast computing time, but there's not really a feature that stands out.

The site has several movies that the guy created, all of which aren't bad. I'm sure if combined with a few animations and such, it could create a somewhat believeable battle if viewed from a distance. However, most likely it would end in a waste of time and effort, as it would take SOO LONG to figure a way to hook up animations to those shapes, and get everything working. But it sure is fun to play around with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.