main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

creating really Black Eyes

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by LordBender, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordBender

LordBender Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2002
    i like to make a scene with a person who has black eyes like the ones in 'the x-files' when the persons get infested with the black oil. they have then this really black eyes.
    my problem is the reflection that is on an eye and i have no idea to make that look real.
    if someknow how to make it, plz tell me :)

thx

2. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Best bet's probably to use contact lenses on-set instead of trying to do it in Post. Easier all around.

3. LordBender

Jul 26, 2002
    i thought about that but that's the problem. i get then problems with my eyes. they hurt and that's not funny

4. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    you could get a mask of the character's face with eye holes and put a black shirt inside of the mask

Edit: If you have photoshop you could get the file into an .flm and on each frame paint over the eyes to make them black. I've heard that MSP has a frame-by-frame image editor too.

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    If going with the filmstrip-in-Photoshop route, it would be quite simple to select only the eyes in each frame and darken the colors accordingly. You wouldn't want to just paint black over them, it would look beyond silly.

Rick McCallum loves you!

6. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Contacts probably aren't good enough, I'm afraid. If you want the whole eye, and not just the iris and pupil, to be black, you'll need full-on scleral shells. Those cost out the yin-yang, alas...

7. Alcobra

Alcobra Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2002
    The cheapest method if not the funnest (yes I know funnest isn't a word) would be to roto the eyes out in Photoshop. However, if you just filled in the eye area with a matte black, it would look kinda silly. It would take a little work, but you could use the tutorial from phong as a base so you could have a reflected image.
    Check it out and see what you think....well, I can't seem to get to it right now, but you can try at Phong.com and do the reflective sphere tutorial. Obviously you wouldn't have to make it so detailed, but you could get the general idea.

Another thing that I have done, is in filmstrip, you make selections of all the eyes you want to use and render clouds with cool colors that compliment your actors look. With a little tweaking here and there, this can be a great look because it looks like the clouds are moving in the eyes instead of just being blank. Let us know what you do, and post some screens.

Insatiable Alcobra

8. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Here's a bit of lateral thinking (translation - stupid idea)

How about getting the guy/girl to close their eyes, and then just paint their eyelids jet black.

Sure they won't be able to see, but it's a heck of a lot easier than rotoing out eyeballs all of the time. Maybe get them to open their eyes quickly if needed, then close them again, and just roto out these small moments of 'eye-openness' Paint them carefully and no-one will know the difference (except maybe on ultra-tight close-ups)

9. LordBender

Jul 26, 2002
    i give the toturial from phong.com a chance because this was something i'm looking for. i'll post a test pic soon and you guys can tell me what you think about this.

thx for the tipps :D

10. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    good luck, I have a feeling you are going to need it... oh and A LOT of patience too!

11. LordBender

Jul 26, 2002
    here is a little test pic i made. i used a picture of angelina jolie :D :D :D and make her eyes black.

black eye test

ps: in the phong tutorial was told that you must click on the 'Preserve Transparency' button in the 3rd step. i use ps7 on mac os x and i couldn't find that damn button. if someone knows where it is, please tell me.

thx

12. Npoz1

Npoz1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    looks good, maybe a little blurring around the egdes of the eye would help with the harsh transition. I feel sorry for you that your gonna have to do this frame by frame, good luck!

13. LordBender

Jul 26, 2002
    the pic was done in ps7 but the film will be made with after effects. it'll be easyr than doing it with photoshop.

14. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    how does that guy from LimpBizkit do it, he has totally blacked out eye's sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.