main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Creating wear and tear

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by fireresq7, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone knew how to make something(my interactive r2 unit) look like it is a little beat up like this ...any ideas?

~Rory

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Besides dragging him around Tatooine, getting zapped by Jawas, almost shot down in an X-Wing over the Death Star. and dealing with mud on Endor you mean? :)

Partially I think it depends on if you want this to be permanent or able to clean up.

If you are going for permanent you could try using very very thin black paint brushed on it to create a wash. The paint will creep into all the nooks and crannies and give it a fairly used look. You can get more ideas by doing a search on "weathering" models in Google I'm sure.

If you want something a little more temporary (don't we all want a nice and shiny Artoo unit sometimes afterall?) I'm not sure what to try.

Actually in either case I would suggest asking the guys at the Artoo builders group for suggestions.

I know 2 of the "local" builders have adapted their Artoos from dirty to clean and even switched paint jobs on one.

3. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    You may also try working with stains (ie woodstains or leather stains...) Woodstains are mostly oil based, and leather stains are water-based acrylics mostly. By "painting" it on to create corosion/rusting effects, and wiping off excess carefully, you could likely achieve the look that you want.

You might check with some of the Troopers (ie Stormtroopers...) who opt for the SandTrooper look...basically looking like "dirtied up" white ABS armour...that would be similar to the above mentioned staining method.

Of course, dragging it around Tatooine might work too...

~Kai Rhann

4. buniculaAIM

buniculaAIM Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2003
    when i've built model kits, there have been a few really common tricks i've used to make things look beaten up.

first is doing a wash of black / rust paint. i REALLY recommend trying it on something cheaper than your R2 to get it down... you use pretty thin paint, and brush it over the entire area, then use a towel to gently wipe it off. the paint will collect in cracks and corners, giving the idea of dirt building up in those areas. there's a bit of a balance between wiping too much and not enough, and how long to let the paint set up. if you use too watery a mix and wipe to soon, you won't get any buildup. if you let it sit too long, it can stick where you don't want it. get some cheap white model kits and some paints and play around with it until you get the feel of it.

the next is dry brushing a metallic paint on. i use testor's model enamel in "steel". take a somewhat large brush (maybe 1/2" head), dip it slightly into the paint. daub it on a paper towel until just about all of the paint is gone. then lightly brush it over corners and edges. it will leave a slight trace of the metal, making it look like the white / blue is paint over something else, and the edges have worn.

If you look at the head of the dragon hand here, you can see it:
    http://www.diabolis.net/~bunicula/models/Nataku_144_scale/nataku03.jpg

or on the body here:
    http://www.diabolis.net/~bunicula/models/deathscythe_hell_custom_-_144_scale/dh144-02.jpg

last is to use a really thin marker (0.005 or so tip) from an art supply store to trace the lines. since the R2 is much larger than most of these models, i'm not sure how that would work.

http://www.diabolis.net/~bunicula/models/w-gundam_zero_perfect/009-finale/07050004.JPG

i traced the lines on the wings, and then smudged them a bit while the ink was still wet. similar to the wash, but more precise. i've got one of those R2s, and i'm not sure this one would work anywhere, but i included it anyway.

5. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    thanks guys that was very helpful...copy/pasting it all...
    but hey, couldn't I just stick my hand under my car and rub the grease on him too???LOL
    ~Rory

6. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    To make rust by washing, I use several shades of brown. Don't mix them, use them in layers. Take a container and put in about 1 part paint and 3 or more parts water, depending on how thin you want it. Then drip it where you want the rust.

One of my favourite methods is dry brushing. Dry brushing is the opposite of washing. Dry brushing gets paint on all the raised areas to enhance the details. I use this for rust, tarnish, or to give detailed objects with boring paint colours a used look.
    For example, If I painted a gun plain black and I want it to have a gun metal look, I put a tiny bit of silver paint on my brush and wipe most of it off on a piece of paper (use an old crappy brush) until almost no paint comes off. Then brush it on your gun/prop.
    [image=http://www.ww2modelmaker.com/articlepub/wizstoned/5sandgreen.jpg]

Also if you are looing to make some sand and dirt stains on him, dry brush and very lightly mist different shades of brown spraypaint to give the desired effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.