main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Creator of New Characters in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Cypess, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cypess

Cypess Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    I am writing a review of TFA for my blog. I make this statement,
    George Lucas brought to life a complex tale of open warfare fought on a galactic scale.I am referring to the original first three films in the paragraph. I try to be accurate and ask the forum members if this statement is correct. He is the creator of the Star Wars films.

For TFA, I would like to say who created the new characters. Is it still Lucas? Or is he only responsible for the original concept and known characters, not the new.

2. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
  3. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Writers create characters. All the new characters in The Force Awakens were created by Kasdan, Abrams, and Arndt, the credited writers.

Lucas did not write the new characters. He is credited as "story consultant" and "based on characters created by," which I take as a reference to the legacy characters Lucas created as a screenwriter.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    At most, Lucas had the idea for a young female Jedi, a "Jedi killer" and a few other odds and ends. Even that's not clear, though.

5. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    so if all the characters were new George wouldn't get credit? I find that hard to believe.

Didn't Roddenberry get a based on credit for deep space nine and voyager even though he was dead before they wrote those shows

6. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    "Based on Star Wars, created by George Lucas" or something similar.

7. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    But will Disney do this? Jim Henson didn't get credit in the newer Muppet movie. Instead they had a really weird credit "based on characters and situations owned by the Walt Disney corporation"

8. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    That is odd, I admit.

9. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    To a certain extent it's about showing respect to an "elder statesman" of the franchise. Hence the "based upon 'Star Trek' created by Gene Roddenberry" in shows he never worked on (and likely would have hated if he was alive). Lucas will probably get something similar if Star Wars enters a time with no OT or PT characters.

I wonder if Henson was booted because the Muppets are not subject to actor aging and death, and therefore his name would never fall off naturally?

10. Cypess

Cypess Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks for your responses.

11. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    If that is the case it is pretty shady. They should've honored Henson's memory. IMHO..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.