main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Creature Mask/puppet materials - easy to get hold of outside movie industry?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lizardmonkey, Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizardmonkey

Lizardmonkey Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2002
    I have been yearning to make a creature puppet and full-head mask of my own as well as Star Wars creations.
    I think the material I am after would be foam rubber latex, but I can find it nowhere.
    I think I have a fair idea that a clay sculpture would have to be made first, then cast in plaster and the plaster used as a mould for the foam rubber. I know where to get the clay, where to get the plaster, but I am convinced foam rubber is possibly only obtainable by the entertainment industry.
    Am I correct?
    Also, are there sites that show, in detail 'Behind the Scenes' creature effects documentaries don't have, a step-by-step process of a creature from sculpture/concept to completed, manipulateable/wearable appliance - puppet or mask?

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    It's a bit more complicated than that... you'd need foam latex which is a) expensive, b) smelly as hell c) Fickle as all get out) but NOT impossible to obtain by a long chalk.

Also, yes you would need plaster, (both regular casting and plaster bandgages) and a partner.

Plastacine insted of regular clay. (it needs to stay felxible)

There are lots of brilliant books on technical make up (I would suggest the library first as such books can get expensive too).

Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send you a piece that I did.. an articulated wolf mask...

Edit

With a little bit of searching, I found one site that may have some good info for you...

here

3. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Monstermakers.com has everything you'll ever need for something like this.

But...

Yes, foam latex is what is used by the pros. But aside from what DarthBreezy said, it also requires baking. And from what I hear it isn't very forgiving stuff. Besides that, it deteriorates pretty fast. This is why you'll never see the original Jabba the Hutt puppet. It turned to a puddle of goo in less than a decade. All that's left are his eyes.

However, slush latex (also called mask latex or slip latex) is what latex Halloween masks are made of. I made the gloves at the bottom of this page with this kind of latex. So I would suggest that. The hardest part is sculpting. The rest takes lots of time and patience, but isnt hard at all. But don't be discouraged if you mess up. Everyone does. Be prepared to redo things sometimes. lol

But yeah, you're basically right. Sculpt it in clay (oil-based clay or plasticine), make a 2-part mold (you don't need plaster bandages, I don't know what he was talking about), clean out the clay, and cast it in latex. Paint it and voila. Piece of cake.

Of course, that's the short version. lol

Slip latex is cheap. I got a quart (about $12) and used about an eighth of it to make a pair of gloves. One mask shouldnt use much more than like half a quart. You'll need an ass-load of plaster though. That's probably the biggest expense besides the clay (which is reusable of course. Yay for that)

Ok, I'm done. PM me if you're curious about my experiences trying to make those accursed gloves. :)

4. studiocreations

studiocreations Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2000
    You can get the Plaster, either ULTRACAL-30 or Hydrostone, from a local Pottery/Ceramics Supply House, or a mom and pop Hardware Supply Store. The Mom and pops are not against ordering 100pound bags of the stuff from "US Gypsum", the leaders in plaster for the USA.

I agree about MonsterMakers.com , Phenomenal products adn service. I recommend their $400 Mask Makers starter kit. It has everything a first time mask maker needs. A bIt pricey, but the one-stop-shopping is worth it if you can afford it.

If you cannot afford it, i still recommend buying their $10 Online HOW TO MAKE A mask instruction booklet. Worth every penny. Full of detailed picts and insite into making a Slip Latex mask.

5. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.