~~Creatures Wild, Creatures Tamed~~ Obi-Wan/Anakin adventure fic, pt. 9, updated 11/30

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by JediShampoo, Sep 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediShampoo Force Ghost

star 1
    Eh, a little short, but I like some of the description in this one. :)

Part 7

Anakin sank his head into the cushions of the overstuffed pilot?s chair, letting his outstretched fingers tease the hyperdrive throttle. A gentle bong sounded throughout the cabin, alerting him that their ship had crossed the invisible line between the Coruscant-controlled system perimeter and open space. Before the last of the tone had even dwindled away inside his eardrums, Anakin?s finger slid the throttle down with a gentle tug, sending them to lightspeed without even a shiver, smooth as water over glass.

Anakin closed his eyes and blew out a sigh of pure pleasure. He was definitely in love with this ship. He wondered if it would be legal to marry it.

Not that he?d even yet had a real chance to put it through its paces. Coruscant traffic was among the most tightly controlled in the Galaxy, so it had taken several hours to get clearance for launch and to then fly the prescribed distance away from the planet?s gravity well and spacelanes. Anakin had chafed against the speed restrictions, but had amused himself by exploring the neon-shiny technological marvels of the Expedition II?s control-board.

Besides being fast, the ship was armed. Its weapons ports boasted two pairs of heavy ion cannons, two laser cannons, and a concussion missile launcher. They certainly shouldn?t need those on their current errand, but Anakin felt happy knowing they were there. A flick of his finger, and anything Anakin didn?t like the looks of could be blown to space dust. Other glowing knobs and buttons controlled the ventral fins and outboard wings, which could be slightly retracted or extended for added atmospheric maneuverability. With those and a private music selection and personal library added to all the regular ship?s instruments, it made for an impressive control-bank.

For a while Obi-Wan had sat in the copilot?s chair, downloading information about Galverry from the Temple Archives and reading the logs out loud to his apprentice. When Anakin had casually mentioned that they still had at least thirty-two hours until they reached the planet, Obi-Wan had taken the hint and had gone off to put away their things and explore the rest of the ship.

Eyes still shut, Anakin grazed his fingers over another knob, dimming the cabin lights. The forward viewport arced outwards from ceiling to floor and bulkhead to bulkhead, covering one end of the slender, cylindrical ship like a lens on an old-fashioned telescope. So, as Anakin had suspected, the view that greeted him when he finally opened his eyes was spectacular. Pink, blue, white and canary starlines scattered from a point in the distance, swimming through black space overhead, some sliding past to disappear in his periphery. Anakin enjoyed the sight for a few moments, until the swishing of the door behind him made him turn.

?Ah,? his Master said, sliding sideways through the door into the darkened cabin. He crossed his arms and leaned against the co-pilot?s chair, but didn?t sit. His eyes seemed to glow silver in the darkness as they watched Anakin. ?I thought we?d gone to lightspeed. You didn?t warn me.?

?I didn?t need to,? Anakin retorted, then wished he hadn?t said it so sharply. He didn?t want to spoil their current camaraderie by being impertinent. ?Sorry, Master. I meant that this is a luxury ship. It has the jump-dampeners built in. That?s why there are no seatbelts. Rich people don?t like to spill their drinks when they make the jump to lightspeed.?

?Mmm-hmm,? Obi-Wan said with a small smile at the joke. ?Which reminds me. Did you know there?s a bar hidden under the game cabinets in the common room??

?Stocked??

?Of course not,? Obi-Wan said matter-of-factly. He seemed to watch the starlines for a few moments, and then slid into the seat next to Anakin. ?What?s our route??

?Corellia to Tynna, then I set us to cut to the middle of the Rodia-Galverry route. I?m saving us a few hours by not going all the way to the Rod
  2. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    Another great post, Shampoo. I really like your description of hyperspace, and the details you put in about the ship, too.

Anakin closed his eyes and blew out a sigh of pure pleasure. He was definitely in love with this ship. He wondered if it would be legal to marry it. [face_laugh]

Also, that boy makes far too many trips to the Chancellor's office if you ask me. It looks like it may get them in trouble on this mission.

Again, well done. :)
  3. JediShampoo Force Ghost

star 1
    Hey, K_A, thanks again! You are most wonderful.

Strangely, I wondered if starlines would indeed be the same color as the stars are...but I'm no physics major. Thanks for saying you liked it.

So you have your story finished and another started, hey? I better go check those out soon... it ain't easy being out of internet commission because of ::gasp:: jobs!

:)
  4. JediShampoo Force Ghost

star 1
  5. JediShampoo Force Ghost

star 1
    Hellooooooo....

:) Just a smallish part, with a dream sequence because I loooove to write dream sequences. And little Obi-Wan/Anakin things, which I love as well. (more of that in the next part; Oh, will she ever get to the action?)

A few hours later, Anakin still wasn?t ready to give up the novelty of the ship?s controls, so Obi-Wan took the first sleep-shift. His Master left him with a reminder to review the maps of Galverry City. Anakin agreed, because it would give him something to do while the ship flew itself through hyperspace. Anakin read and read, until he was sure he could walk through the city blindfolded while reciting a list of each continent?s major exports.

Obi-Wan slept for a long time, and by the time he returned, freshly showered and dressed in plain clothing, Anakin was tired. He offered only a token resistance to releasing the controls. The Force could have kept him awake much longer, but Anakin wanted to be rested when it came time to land.

Obi-Wan sent him off with a reminder that he had flown ships before Anakin was even born, a reminder that Anakin ignored as he stumbled off. Four cabin doors lined the corridor, but his Master had only prepared one of the rooms. Anakin shuffled into the first and toppled over into the same bed that Obi-Wan had recently vacated. The mattress was warm and ridiculously soft, and Anakin fell asleep almost immediately.

After a while, he dreamed.

Anakin sprawled in a small, rickety boat that hovered on a vast, green sea. Crimson and orange clouds swirled overhead, in a sky tinged with the merest hint of blue and dominated by an ancient, angry red giant.

?This place is dying,? thought Anakin, and then he heard a desperate noise, a cry for help.

He didn?t recognize the voice, but it was female, and sounded frightened. His eyes scanned the green and red horizon, and he caught sight of a small form in the water, some meters away, he couldn?t tell how far.

His fingers scrabbled for paddles but there were none, so he launched himself from the boat. He broke the surface coughing green slime. The water wasn?t water, it was heavy, viscous, its molecules warped by the pull of the red giant?s mass. The glutinous fluid kept him afloat, bobbing him about the surface, but it was nearly impossible to move. Anakin waved his arms and legs through the sluggish morass, trying to swim to the wailing figure.

He paddled closer, and saw the voice belonged to a dark-haired woman, but her face kept evading his recognition. Sometimes the features that slipped above and below the waves were his mother?s, other times, Shmi?s visage slid off to be replaced with Padme Naberrie?s, looking as she had when Anakin had last seen her in the news holos. Then it transformed into someone unrecognizable, changing personae as easily as flipping the pages of a picture-book.

He?d almost reached the figure when he felt a sinister tug at his ankle. Anakin reached down through the goo to feel a metal cuff encircling his leg, chaining him to the boat. The water was too heavy. He couldn?t drag himself and the boat through the bog, but he was too tired to swim back?

?Anakin! Real-space!?

Anakin started awake at the familiar call of his Master?s voice. He dragged himself to a sitting position and gave his head a shake, focusing his blurry eyes on the bedside chrono. He jumped to his feet when he saw the time, not believing he could have slept that long. It seemed he?d just closed his eyes moments ago. He also hadn?t felt their slide back into real-space.

Anakin forced his rubbery legs to navigate the corridor. The cockpit door stood open at the end of it, and through it he heard Obi-Wan call again.

?Galverry, Anakin!?

?I?m here,? Anakin mumbled, and leaned forward to rest his elbows on the back of the pilot?s chair. He took a deep breath, gathering the Force, trying to clear his sleep-muddled brain. Familiar calming power surged through him, energizing him. He blinked, and glanced up at the viewport to see a tan
  6. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    Been meaning to post comments, but haven't got time, so I'll just give this a quick UP. :)
  7. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    OK, comments.

Great vivid discriptions of Anakin's dream. I don't think I'll ever think of a slimed over lake the same way again. One of the little things I liked that you put in that post was when Anakin shook the pilot's chair to indicate that he wanted to drive, er, fly. :) And that landing time restriction has got me curious, too.

Once again, great post, JediShampoo, and I too can't wait for you to get back to the action. :D
  8. JediShampoo Force Ghost

star 1
    Thanks for your comments, K_A!

Oooops, unfortunately the action is not coming for a while! :) I like the fluffy stuff. Talking, shopping, eating, talking, etc. is so much fun to write. I'll leave the space battles (where I can't tell what's going on anyway) to Aaron Allston and the like.

But when the action does hit, it will hit hard! Heh heh heh.

Thanks again!
  9. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
  10. JediShampoo Force Ghost

star 1
    OK, this is two-ish parts, because the first was so short. Still no action. Not for loooongo time. Me love introspection and describing planets and streets and other crap like that. ;)

Creatures Wild, Creatures Tamed
    Part 9

Anakin took a shower, which made him feel immeasurably better. He then sat cross-legged on the bed and closed his eyes. His mental fingers reached out for the Force, which was always there, always waiting for him. He gathered it in invisible but tangible handfuls, carrying them back and pouring them over his physical body. The universe around him sharpened, bringing his immediate environment into searing and exquisite detail.

He sensed Obi-Wan through the Force, as clear as if Anakin could see him, playing with the cockpit?s music controls, and trying to do it quietly. Anakin smiled to himself and considered his Master?s presence, and his advice, which often turned out to be good.

Anakin always referred to Obi-Wan as his foster-father of sorts, but his Master was much too young to be that, no matter how he tried to hide it. He frustrated Anakin sometimes with his ways, old and staid beyond his years. Qui-Gon had not been so for the short time Anakin had known him. From what little he?d seen of his two Masters as a team, Qui-Gon, despite his advanced age, had seemed the younger and more vibrant, disputing the decisions of the Council while Obi-Wan followed them religiously.

Anakin knew that Obi-Wan had accepted him as an apprentice only because of a promise to Qui-Gon, but that was old news and it didn?t bother Anakin any more. They had moved beyond that stage into acceptance of each one?s role in the other?s life. Anakin also knew that Obi-Wan tried not to think of his apprentice as the Chosen One, but simply as someone who needed his guidance. And being the Chosen One was a burden Anakin didn?t mind shedding.

He envied Obi-Wan?s strength. Not his physical strength, which Anakin had since surpassed, but his strength of purpose. If Obi-Wan was ever plagued by emotions or doubt-- and he was, sometimes, Anakin knew?it didn?t affect his direction, his knowledge of who he was and his place in the universe. His duty.

Anakin knew it was not so with himself. ?Your focus determines your reality,? Qui-Gon had told him, but Anakin?s focus wavered from place to place, a slave to his emotions. He knew that as soon as he could control those, he would be ready for the Trials, and the universe would be his. The Trials were all that stood between him and freedom, and Anakin was prepared to do just about anything to an independent state, the first of his life.

The meditation was relaxing, but the minutes flew by and Anakin realized that in a quarter-hour it would be time to land the ship. He uncurled his limbs from the sheets. He also realized that his tongue was stuck to the roof of his mouth. The ship?s recirculated air was dry.

On his way to the front, Anakin stopped to pour some water into two wobble-cups he found sitting in the cabinets. The wobble-cups were ideal for space-flight. They were weighted on the bottom, and when filled with one?s liquid of choice, would sway on a flat surface but never spill. He took one to Obi-Wan, who accepted it with a grateful look.

The orbital traffic was light. The Expedition II received its landing clearance at exactly 1300 hours, and not one second before. Anakin slid into the pilot?s chair to experience the true joy of floating this ship down to the surface.

While Anakin brought them in, Obi-Wan watched their landing through the forward viewport. A thin film of clouds gave way to a vast panorama of mottled beige and deep blue. As they dove closer, much of the tan expanse sharpened into the squares and lines of civilization. Galverry City crawled along a coastal desert, bounded on one side by rugged mountains and on the other by the sea. Soon, Obi-Wan could make out individual buildings, then the numbered bays of the spaceport.

Anakin?s piloti
  11. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    Another great post, JediShampoo. From Anakin's observations on his Masters, to the vivid description of Galverry City, to the revelation of Anakin's reluctance to come to a city with "provincial desert charm," and (my favorite part) Obi-Wan fiddling with the "music controls" in the ship's cockpit, it was all fantastic. :D

Great job of describing "crap." [face_laugh] ;)

And, by the way, I vote for Our Heroes to do Plan B to see the senator. ;)

Well done.
  12. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
  13. copaceticradio Jedi Padawan

This is a fantastic story! I've truly enjoyed each part you've posted and I think you've done an excellent job of pacing. There's a small piece of the puzzle revealed in each chapter, but only enough to move the story to the next chapter... which is ideal for the sort of 'mystery novel' atmosphere you're developing.

Great characterization of Anakin and Obi-Wan... they're both quite likeable.

Can't wait for more!
  14. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
  15. Dagobah_Y Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow just found this. I love the characterization. I hope you haven't given up on this.
  16. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    Sigh, just another monthly up, folks. Sorry. :(
  17. diamond_pony2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    This is great! Keep going with it! UP!
  18. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
  19. Knight_Dilettante Jedi Master

star 4
    Excellent! Please keep going. Please keep posting. Please Please. You've got a great Anakin and a great relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan and I really want to know where that poor animal came from.

And a heartfelt thank you to Knight-Ander for pointing me to this story. Stop by the action writing thread I started and give us the benefit of your wisdom if you are feeling generous. Your action scene to start was great.

KD
  20. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    UP because it's a bad habit of mine. :)
  21. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, JediShampoo! You logged-on in October and didn't say "Hi!"

*waves*

Hi! :)

And here I thought you were dead! ;) :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.