main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Creche Masters - A young Obi-Wan fic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi_Daphne, May 15, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Daphne

Jedi_Daphne Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2000
    Qui-Gon paced his quarters anxiously. I never thought the boy would run away. I wonder if he took that stuffed bantha with him.... What are you thinking Jinn? Did it look like he had a stuffed animal with him?

The sound of the closing door jarred him from his thoughts. "Master."

Rising, he shook off his reverie. Xanatos stood before him expectantly. "Yes, padawan?"

"Is there something wrong, Master?"

"No, nothing's wrong. I was just deciding that I shouldn't take another apprentice. I'm not the best with children."

"That's true master. I don't think you should take another apprentice. After all, you're not a young man."

Nodding in agreement, Qui-Gon watched as his apprentice dressed for a night out at the clubs. Trying to pass the evening and ignore the voices haunting the back of his brain, Qui-Gon eventually surrendered. He gathered his robe before trudging down to the creche.

Thinking that he alone would be awake, he was surprised to see Daia sitting in the chair by the door. Seeing him, she sat up. "Have you been out searching? Did they find him?"

Stuttering Qui-Gon told her that no, he hadn't been out searching.

"Then why are you here?"

"I... I wanted to apologize. It appears I was at fault for Initiate Kenobi's sudden disappearance."

"WHAT?! THEN GET OUT AND FIND HIM!"

Ducking the small blur hurtling towards his head, Qui-Gon barely had time to realize she had flung Obi-Wan's bantha toy at him before he was force puched out the door.

That certainly wasn't a very Jedi-like performance. And they let her teach the children?

Scratching his head, Qui-Gon wondered if he ought to help search. But what good would I be? I barely know the boy.

2. JediCandy

JediCandy Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    "Incoming banthas, duck!!!"

Come on, Qui-Gon, get the lead out at get looking.....gosh dern it!

JediCandy

3. Jedi_Daphne

Apr 30, 2000
    Qui-Gon wandered through the streets. What do you think you're going to find, Jinn? Surrendering to the elements, Qui-Gon stepped into a nearby cantina, drawn by the knowledge that the feeling at the other end of his training bond was most likely a drunken padawan. No one will think twice. Of course I had to stop searching - I *am* responsible for my apprentice.

His eyes adjusted quickly to the lashing lights of the dance hall and the smell of rich smoke filtering through the air. Crossing the room, he pinpointed Xanatos' location. Spying his padawan dancing with three Twileks, he made mental note to have another *talk* with him.

Out of the corner of his eye, he glimpsed a flash of grey disappearing through a side door. He would have simply filed it away in the back of his mind, but the force had other ideas. Danger screamed through his mind as he pursured the vanishing figures. Stepping out into the alley, he knew without question what he was seeing.

Obi-Wan.

4. Tenel'Ka

Tenel'Ka Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2000
    poor Obi! And I like your idea of what Xanatos used to be like! MORE!!!

5. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Like the way Xanatos was added in the story, hope we see more of this naughty little apprentice. Now Qui-Gon you must find Obi fast, he is in deep, as usual!!!!!!!

6. Tigris

Tigris Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2000
    Isn't it sad that even when he's that young we still find it in our hearts to torture the poor kid?

(Actually I'm not one to talk- I spend my free time thinking up ways to further torture Obi-Wan! tongue.gif )

7. Keyla_Kenobi

Keyla_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2000
    Poor Obi!! Qui-Gon you better get Obi back to the Temple or my lil' friends and I will have a *friendly* chat with you! =D
    Hey, great story!!! Is IMPRESIONANTE!!! (I couldn't think in any word in english to describe it =)

8. Keyla_Kenobi

May 24, 2000
    Poor Obi!! Qui-Gon you better get Obi back to the Temple or my lil' friends and I will have a *friendly* chat with you! =D
    Hey, great story!!! Is IMPRESIONANTE!!! (I couldn't think in any word in english to describe it =)

9. Keyla_Kenobi

May 24, 2000

10. Keyla_Kenobi

May 24, 2000

11. Keyla_Kenobi

May 24, 2000
    *Wet puppy eyes*
    No post?

12. Kelly Kenobi

Mar 23, 2000
  13. Kaylla Norn

Kaylla Norn Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2000
    I'll add my K to the current list. Please post soooooooon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Jedi Shali

Jedi Shali Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2000
    so far I have been a silent follower but I can keep quiet no longer: Please post soon!. ME loves this vewery much.

hmm, I wonder what kind of *fun* Obi-Wan would have gotten into at Xanatos' age!

15. Jedi_Daphne

Apr 30, 2000
    The three men turned at the abrupt noise behind them. A green light cast a pall over their faces. Exchanging looks, they eyed the beam of light held in the hands of the stranger.

Qui-Gon sent a small prayer into the Force that they would just set the boy down and run like any other Jedi-fearing group of thugs. Unfortunately, this trio was either too dense or too foolhardy to do anything of the sort.

As blaster fire filled the alley, Qui-Gon watched helplessly as the young initiate was being spirited away. //Padawan! Get out here and help me!//

In frustration, Qui-Gon sent a blaster bolt straight to its source. As the hooligan tumbled to the ground, the side-door of the cantina swung open. A beam of red cut through the dark night blocking the path of the kidnapper.

Now obviously outmatched, the two men obeyed the directive to put down their weapons and put their hands up.

Qui-Gon restrained the two before walking over to his padawan. Sighing he eyed the boy. Lightsaber still glowing in one hand, and a glass of... is that Correlian firebrand... in the other.

Noticing his master's attention, Xanatos shrugged. "I didn't have time to drink it before you called and I wasn't going to just give it away."

Too tired to argue about proper procedures, Qui-Gon decided the best mode of action was to just ignore it. Continueing Xanatos gave in to curiousity. "So who's the street rat?"

The Jedi Master turned his head to see the small bundle huddled in the street where he'd been dropped. "He's one of us padawan."

"Not if this is how he fights." Qui-Gon turned to comment, but his padawan had already disappeared into the lighted club. As the planetary patrol arrived to take care of the arrests, Qui-Gon wondered what he was going to do about the small grey bundle of boy crying in to street.

This isn't my job. He's not mine.

16. Jedi_Daphne

Apr 30, 2000
    What? Did I lose all my readers?

17. JediCandy

Mar 24, 2000
    We are here! Don't give up on the story. It might take a bit for everyone to realize that the problems with this thread are taking care of---after all, it did go "blank" for a while there.......

Great story, keep it up.

JediCandy

18. RogueJai

RogueJai Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2000
    *forces Quigy to look into future* See? He IS yours!!!! Now go help him!

19. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Don't forget your lurkers too.
    Plus the site has been going bonkers!

20. Ejedir2

Ejedir2 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2000
    *joins RogueJai in pressing Quigy to see the future* GO HELP!

Great story! POST MORE SOON!

21. Kelly Kenobi

Mar 23, 2000
    I'm still here!!!!! I would never abandon one of my favorite threads. By the way Qui he is yours and the sooner you realize that the better!!!!

22. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    MORE! MORE! MORE! MORE! MORE!

I really want to slap Xanatos for calling Obi a street rat!

23. JediCandy

Mar 24, 2000
    Xanatos calling Obi-Wan a street rat reminds me of Disney's Aladdin. Aladdin was called a street rat when, in reality, he was a "diamond in the rough." So is Obi-Wan.....

JediCandy

24. Saeed

Saeed Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2000
    Okay, here it is: my Blender thread...

For people who don't know me, I'm the guy who made 'Star Wars: The Terran Conflict' which recently premiered on TFN in their F/X Projects section. I've done a bit of 3D modelling and animation, but in my quest to do more and better things I quickly realised I would have to find the definitive software to use, one which would meet my needs without me having to switch to a different package again at a later date.

There are many considerations when choosing any software, such as cost, features, and ease of use - the trick is to get the one that is right for you and the kind of work you are interested in. Up until now, I've mostly been using Infini-D because we have it at work, but since then, I have accumulated a number of free packages.

This topic is primarily dedicated to one of those packages: Blender. It's a program with an unusual interface, but enjoys a large user base and offers a massive feature roster, so is certainly worth serious consideration.

Over the next few weeks (months, even) I will keep adding to this thread as a kind of diary of my progress learning how to use the software. Anyone should feel free to add to this thread with tips/questions or indeed any comments relating to Blender and/or 3D software in general. My hope is that together we will all learn from each other and the collective process will be very rewarding...

Saeed TTC

PS Lokmer - if you're reading this, now would be a good time to post your usual description of Blender's features...

25. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Saeed, I'll read anything you write!

Blender's features:
    1) FREE! Total installed program size is under 2MB!
    2) Modelling features: Virtually seamless integration of polymesh, S-Mesh, Nurbs, Berzier, and B-Spline. Does Lattice deformation, Proportional mesh editing ("magnet" tool - very useful I just discovered this one yesterday), and all of the other standard stuff.
    3) Extremely versetile texture engine installed. Progressive texturing, animated textures, mirrors, transparency, environment mapping (static and dynamic), radiosity, mists, starfields, UV texture mapping, theoretically infinite textures on each object.
    4) Animation: Keyframe and scripted, Sophisticated IPO editing (100% customizable). Path-based animations. Every aspect of a scene (incl. textures, materials, empties, cameras, lenses, and lamps) fully animatable Relative vertex keys, IKAs, Skeletons, inverse kinematics.
    5) Scene layers for isolated lighting schemes. Shadow casting. No raytracing (which is a benifit for render times but makes for more effort to light the scene correctly).
    6) Imports and exports .DXF and .VRML. Plugin available (free) for import/export of .3DS files.
    7) Python script plugin authoring and architecture. Currently there are 35-40 plugins available, all free, which do everything from subsurf functions to movable focal points to character animations to read different file formats.
    8) Network render deamon (new this version).
    9) Sophistocated particle system capable of respawning particles, generating bubles and shrapnel, making waves, and pretty much everything else you can think of.

I may have missed some things, but those are the basics.

The one major drawback to Blender is that it takes patience and a creative mind to learn it (it is a Linux-native program ported to Windows, and it was developed as a proprietary in-house animation suite for NaN animation studios in the Netherlands). Everything in it is done with buttons and hotkeys, so there's a lot of rote learning involved. On the upside, once you get the hang of it it moves very efficiently.

There is a wide user support base, two major newsgroups, and over one hundred online tutorials for learning this piece of software. If you have the patience, it's worth the time to learn.

*End of Advertisement*
    -Lokmer

[This message has been edited by lokmer (edited 06-24-2000).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.