main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Creche Thread: New Topic- Cliffhangers: Necessary or Evil?- LISTS UPDATED 5-31

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Creche_Master, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    For clarification: the survey is intended more to be an ice-breaker between a new Master and Padawan pair, if you're having trouble getting things started amongst yourselves or aren't sure what to say to your new partner. That's why it's recommended to be done over PM. It is, of course, completely optional. I picked it because it seemed like it would have a number of things to prompt conversation, like favorite books or places you want to travel.

Clear as mud? :p

Congrats to AF!! [:D] You will make a fantastic Master, if you should so choose. :D

I agree with what other people have said; being comfortable is definitely the most important thing. Most people find that to be easier on a private level, using email or PM that I've experienced. Since being a newbie can be rather daunting, as barriss31 said, what kind of things do you think a Master can do to help ease that feeling? Does having them beta something you want to put up help? Or just the comfort of knowing you have a 'go-to' person should you have any burning questions?

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    No, I was referring to the one about the Master one that goes like this:

NAME:

LOOKING FOR: (please indicate Master or Padawan)

ERA:

FAVE CHARACTERS:

STRENGTHS:

WEAKNESS:

I LOVE TO WRITE:

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE:

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: (number of current Padawans for all Masters!)

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available):

3. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Oh! Yes, that one absolutely needs to be posted here, so that people who are looking at you for a potential Master (or Padawan, as the case might be for others) know something about your writing style/era preference/strong points/etc. If you're already on the list, it's up to you as to whether you repost; all the links above should work, so it's optional.

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    NAME: DarthIshtar

LOOKING FOR: Padawan

ERA: The Saga or Beyond the Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Anakin, Leia, Han, Wedge Antilles, Stacey (from Pink 5 and canonized in Allegiance), Wes Janson, Darth Vader, Palpatine.

STRENGTHS: Angst, drama, lightsaber duels, dialogue, fight scenes, legal procedure

WEAKNESS: Hard-core mush.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Hard-core Alternate Universes.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Mary Sues or Princess Bride knock-offs.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: 1.5 current Padawans (Idrelle_Miocovani and RK_Striker_JK_5, both of whom aren't really calling on me right now). I'm a Bostonian who is within spitting distance of the end of her longest-ever fic. I write everything, from war crimes trial stories to the official backstory of the Pink 5 fanfilms. I'm also very patient as a tutor.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: This is my favorite of my humor pieces
    This is the 600-page monsterpiece that I'm trying to finish at the moment.

5. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Logged out too fast. [face_blush] Lists are updated. :)

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm curious -- is there a difference between the people whose names are in blue and the people whose names are in green, or is it just a nice colour combination for the list? :p

7. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Looks great!! :D

I couldn't find my info in the other thread, so here it is again:

NAME: Trace (nickname) or Traci (real name)

ERA: Beyond the Saga (some Saga)

FAVE CHARACTERS: Mara and Luke are the heart and soul of my fanfic fandom. I dabble in writing other characters/pairings (Cade, Ben, Talon/Shada, Barriss, Vader and the occasional OC) but my interest always returns to L/M.

STRENGTHS: Spelling/grammar. Plot/pacing/narrative. POV. Dialogue.

WEAKNESS: Angst and mush. (I don?t think I do well with extremes, lol.)

I LOVE TO WRITE: Humor. Romance. Drama. Action.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Incest. (Even the related-by-marriage kind.)

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: (number of current Padawans for all Masters) No current padawans.

Note: I'm happy to beta but my time is limited and I'm slow; so if you?re looking for someone to beta your epic retelling of the NJO as seen through the photoreceptor of R2-D2, then I?m not the best choice. ;) I CAN help with posting stories, learning the ropes around the boards, and general TFN etiquette and norms.

Random facts: I love music and musical theater. I was a band geek in high school (clarinet and Field Commander) and met my husband while performing in the musical stage production of Narnia. I have two daughters: the oldest tolerates SW but the youngest is planning to marry Anakin Skywalker when she grows up, lol.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Linked in my profile.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I was a band geek in high school (clarinet and Field Commander)

I had this instant image of Trace screaming "Charge!!" and the band going into battle with their instruments. I think I'm still tired. ;)

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    NAME: Kelia

ERA: Before or the Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan and Yoda

STRENGTHS: Pacing, suspense, humor, drama

WEAKNESS: Action

I LOVE TO WRITE: AU's - it's very rare for me to write anything else

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: There's not a lot that is allowed on the boards that I won't write.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I have one current padawan and even he doesn't know I actually like Jar-Jar Binks :eek: [face_shhh]

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): I have everything linked in my profile but one of my favorites is: Padme The Matchmaker

10. barriss31

barriss31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I am reposting the survey I posted in the older thread as this one now becomes more active:

I am going out on a limb contrary to my usual cautious self, but I have wanted to write for some time and have not known how to go about this so here goes..........

NAME: Barriss31

LOOKING FOR: (please indicate Master or Padawan) Master

ERA: The saga and beyond.

FAVE CHARACTERS: Obi-wan, Luke, Mara, Kyp, Jaina, Jar Jar Binks (just kidding, never in a million years)!

STRENGTHS: As a writer, cohesiveness and clarity.

WEAKNESS: Ongoing plot development. I seem to do better with short vignettes than long novel length works.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Drama. Yet, I seem to have a thing for wry humor.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Never say never but I do not see myself writing battle scenes.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: (number of current Padawans for all Masters!) As a child, I dragged my mom to all the Star Trek movies. I actually did have a real stuffed ewok toy that someone gave me for my birthday the year Return of the Jedi came out. There was a debate between my parents as to whether it was a squirrel or a monkey.........19 years later I saw Attack of the Clones and came to the Light Side of the Force.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): Nothing posted as yet, just some random ideas I typed up.

11. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    NAME: TheOnlyJediPrincess

LOOKING FOR: Master

ERA: Beyond the Saga / AU

FAVE CHARACTERS: Jacen, Luke, Jaina, Kyp, Jag, OC

STRENGTHS: concepts, and adding my own twist.

WEAKNESS: lots, Grammar, spelling, format. I also have a little hard time with describing emotions.

I LOVE TO WRITE: to write fairy tail romance.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: smut

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I work at a coffee shop. I have a cat sitting on my lap right as I?m writing this. You can also find me over at the art forum or on deviant art. I love to draw what inspires me. I have had this on going story in my head for years now. I thought I was odd because of it, so I never shared my ideas. Then I found the world of Fan Fiction and realized I?m not alone.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): I don?t have a sample of my work on sight. But just PM me and I can send you one.

12. Creche_Master

Creche_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Sheesh... I leave you guys alone for an evening, and look what happens! I think I got everyone onto the lists... As always, let me know if I missed someone.

And Idri, there's no difference between green and blue names. It was just the way Zonoma did it before me, and I didn't see any reason to change it. :p I suppose I could also make it so the Padawan list is one color and the Master list another.

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I was a band geek in high school (clarinet and Field Commander) and met my husband while performing in the musical stage production of Narnia.

Oh dear, that sounds exactly what I'm doing right now -- band geeks united! Except that the version of Narnia that we're doing is the stage play, not the musical. :p

And Idri, there's no difference between green and blue names. It was just the way Zonoma did it before me, and I didn't see any reason to change it. tongue I suppose I could also make it so the Padawan list is one color and the Master list another.

LOL, okay. I thought it might have been something like "the master in green already has a Padawan, but is able to take on more while the master in blue has no Padawans" or something silly like that. 8-}

14. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    I hope I can find a Master, and I'm so mad I didn't find this thread sooner! Here goes!.....

NAME: You can call me Myriad

LOOKING FOR: Master

ERA:
    Beyond the Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS:
    Mainly Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade Skywalker, but would also like to try/improve Leia, Jaina, Jag, Han, and others

STRENGTHS: Description!!! I live on adjectives and thrive on breathtaking visuals! Give me an idea, and I'll spend the first hour just writing an introduction!:p

WEAKNESS:
    Dialouge. Moving a story along. Characters who have personalities very different then mine. Oh and... ACTION! I cannot write action at all!:_|

I LOVE TO WRITE: Mush and angst[face_devil]

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE:
    A HUGE epic like a bajillion chapter story.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME:
    I am very laid back most of the time, and worry that I am too annoying or insecure. Basically I'm here because I love Star Wars and writing, and combining the two is like heaven! :D I hope to really improve my writing, and find a master who is friendly and will put up with me. :)

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING : Late Nights on Nirauan and Can't Say Goodbye

PS. I am NOT afraid of harsh betas! I want people who read my stories to be HONEST, not nice. I would like my master to be honest with me about what I need to work on, or when a fic is just plain terrible.:p Just thought I'd throw that out there, as something I want a potential master to know. I promise to be thick skinned!:)

15. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I'd like to announce that I have taken Marani as my Padawan. :D

Creche_Master: You can take my name off the available list. Thanks!

16. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    Congrats to Jedi Trace and Marani! [:D]

I also have redone the list colors because of paranoia induced by Idri :)p) and because it makes my life much easier in the editing.

Lists are updated. :D

17. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    NAME: Aiel

ERA: Any

FAVE CHARACTERS: Han, Leia, Luke, Ben (Skywalker.)

STRENGTHS: Romanace and Alternate Universe.

WEAKNESS: Heavy Action and darkside fics.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Romantic pairings, (H/L, L/M and some A/P,) and AU's.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Really dark fics.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I'm a pop culture junkie, particularly anything retro and campy is right up my alley. (Old t.v shows, bands, cartoons you name it.) My favorite band of all time is Queen, I am the second youngest of six daughters and the third youngest of seven kids. <Might explain why my fics are both so wordy and family orientated. ;) >

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING:

A Slight Disruption

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm happy to say that Barriss31 is coming to the proverbial Dark Side and has agreed to put up with me as a Master.

19. barriss31

barriss31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    You beat me to it![face_blush] Here is to a happy and productive apprenticeship.[face_dancing]

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    :) Good news is worth sharing. ::Hubs.::

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Congratulations!!!

22. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Hey, I know I already have a Master, but just wanted to say this looks great! Congrats on a great job, and the Master/Padawan system is really great for learning to write better and meeting more people.

23. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Congratulations AnakinsFavorite on your knighting! =D=
    And the place looks great! Good luck to all the new masters and padawans.[:D]

[b]NAME:[/b] Divapilot

[b]LOOKING FOR:[/b] Padawan

[b]ERA:[/b] Beyond

[b]FAVE CHARACTERS:[/b] Luke, Mara, Ben, Jaina, Han, Leia, OC?s (original characters). I?m also fond of Ghent. Not so strong with Jag, Kyp, Anakin, Tahiri & the NJO kids.

[b]STRENGTHS:[/b] Writing strengths: rospections, plotting, grammar & mechanics.
    As a potential master, my strengths are experience in beta?ing and giving critiques to
    others. I am also a very thorough reviewer.

[b]WEAKNESS:[/b] Writing weaknesses: writing anything pre-Saga, writing duels and dogfights, writing technically detailed scenes (i.e., describing how a hyperdrive works. Beats me.)
    As a potential master, my weaknesses are that I may not be able to respond immediately because of my working schedule.

[b]I LOVE TO WRITE:[/b] Angst, humor, romance

[b]NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE:[/b] out-of-character behavior (ex. incest) or gratuitous violence.

[b]RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME:[/b] No current padawans, but I do have a commitment as a beta for a very prolific fanficcer.. I am a high school writing teacher and a mom. I?m also a Boston Red Sox fan (helps me write angst[face_cry] ).
    [b]
    LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING:[/b] You can find links in my bio [link=http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=1228453]here.[/link]

24. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    Congrats to Ish and barriss31!! [:D]

Lists are also updated. There are plenty of Masters and Padawans to go around, so take a keek at the profiles and maybe send out some inquiries. :D

25. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm very happy to announce that I've taken on TheOnlyJediPrincess as my new Padawan. [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.