main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Creche Thread: New Topic- Cliffhangers: Necessary or Evil?- LISTS UPDATED 5-31

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Creche_Master, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
    how I write? ummm... is this about the procedure I follow when I write or an adjective describing how I write?

2. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    *lol*
    This is a strange coincidence. I was about to ask the same question, maybe in a seperate thread where everybody could present their own strategy.
    I am very curious how other people write, because I know msot do it completly different from me.
    Right now I am trying to work out some kind of 'schemeatics' that can be apllied to my way of writing. I am not very organised.:oops:

Everything starts with inspiration. It doesn't matter if it's just for a name (Nashara), a topic that's on my mind a lot (loss) or a sentence I want to hear said (Look at me!), or an incident I want to see happening (whacking Fett over the head with a huge bouquet of roses). All that has gotten me writing.

I think secondly I write a 'kernel' for the story. A few paragraphs I consider perfect. Those will kick uploads of questions and I seem to be taking things from there.[face_thinking]
    Strangely enough I tend to have a good idea about the length of a story even before I start it. 8-}

3. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Well, I usually start with a vague picture in my mind of where I want the story to go, whether it's multi-chapter or a one-shot. And Like MsLanna said, it really all does start with inspiration -often for me it's a specific lyric of a song, though not always.

I try to write a little bit every day. I usually attempt to update everything on a weekly basis, though often it's actually every nine or ten days, which still isn't too bad.

I like working on several pieces at the same time, as in, having two or three Word Documents open and typing a sentence in one, then in the other, etc. It sounds a bit strange, and I usually don't get as much done as when I'm working on just one story, but this way if I hit a roadblock in one piece, then I can just work on the other while mulling it over. Again, it sounds bizarre, but it works pretty well!

If I'm not working on two fics -and sometimes even if I am :p- I tend to have something else to distract me, too. Surfing through the YJCC, reading other fanfictions, or playing computer-pinball all help me think things over, and are very useful if I'm having difficulties on a certain part of the plot.

I have no idea if this is what you were looking for but... that's how I write! :D

4. LittleMissNightsaber

LittleMissNightsaber Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2009
    Music. When I listen to the right kind of music while I write a scene, I get an interesting scene. Like once I listened to ESB soundtrack, and I got a lot of good horror scenes. I was shivering while I wrote.

5. KotORBF2Female_Revan

KotORBF2Female_Revan Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 21, 2009
    I usually write when I get the inspiration to. Usually it starts out when I want to hear a line of dialogue, or if I imagine a scene. Then I write a story that can somehow include this scene or piece of dialogue. Other times, it's just a completely random idea that I get and write a story to go along with the idea.

6. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I usually have the weirdest inspirational moments. They pop into my head while I'm taking a shower or doing laundry or something really strange like that. When my mind isn't focusing then I get the idea.

Then I take the inspiration and run with it. I usually write everyday because that's what I do for a living. Practicing and keeping up with the ability to put the ideas together is something you really have to struggle to maintain. I just usually write in my journal if I haven't written a news story that day. Something just to keep the creative juices flowing.

I'm also a huge fan of sticky notes. Love to put title ideas on those and tuck them into my journal so that I can think about them and maybe even free flow some ideas into my journal.

I'm one of those who doesn't write on a computer most of the time either. I want to feel connected with the creation I'm making, so I write long hand. I really like to write that way and just feel the words on the page.

7. kikichan

kikichan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2009
    Hi ! I hope I can become a padawan

NAME: Kikichan, or Kiyumi (my real name)

LOOKING FOR: Master

ERA: The Saga, Beyond the Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: The Solos and Skywalkers (all of them) [face_love]

STRENGTHS: I think I am good at writing children ^^ I think I can handle emotion quite well too. And I get lots of ideas ^___^

WEAKNESS: keeping the plot coherent lol, space battles (not the sort of thing I'd write though), dialogue. And I'm from South Korea, so my english it's okay, not the best.

I LOVE TO WRITE: short stories. missing moments. cute family moments. romance. adventure.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: um, I don't know, something with mandos [face_not_talking]:p

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I'm a fanartist as well as aspiring writer (my art here) I'm a theatre student, I want to be an actress in Amerika or England ^____^ I have lots of siblings (four sisters, and my twin brother) and I live on a farm. (Farmgirl, lol ^^) I love big family gatherings and being with my family ! [face_love] My boyfriend Tim (from Amerika) looks exactly like Jag Fel !!! :eek: I followed him around like a crazy fangirl for a few days before he ask me out ^____^

I usually have the weirdest inspirational moments. They pop into my head while I'm taking a shower or doing laundry or something really strange like that. When my mind isn't focusing then I get the idea.

me too hehe ^^ when I'm in the shower, straighten my hair, or on the bus and I don't have my notebook :_|

8. ElvisTheCat

ElvisTheCat Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    NAME: ElvisTheCat, or just Elvis if you like.

ERA: Any, I guess. Most of my ideas are presently around the original trilogy timeframe.

FAVE CHARACTERS: Han is probably my favorite character, followed closely by Darth Vader.

STRENGTHS: I'd have to say my strengths are in sentence structure and character background.

WEAKNESS: Plot development is my biggest weakness. I can conjure up interesting characters almost on-demand, but finding the situations to make them grow and create an interesting story is difficult.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Character sketches. I love characters with a distorted sense of right-and-wrong.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Straight-laced characters. I find that a bad guy with a conscience is more interesting than some randomly flawed good guy.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: No relation to The King. I have two cats. Neither of them is named Elvis. I've written a few stories in the past, but this will be my first experiment with FanFic.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): I don't have a sample just yet.

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    What inspires me to write -- a song, a line of dialogue from a movie, something I read in a novel or on the boards, or random thoughts LOL Even those are mushy LOL Especially when they deal with particular adorable pairings! Very. Adorable! Droolicious. Pairings. :D [face_love]

How I write -- sometimes I write the beginning and the end, then the middle, sometimes the beginning to the end. I love writing to music--jazz especially. :D

When/if I turn my hand to short stories/epics, I'll use a written outline. :) I like to write ahead before posting--like 3+ updates so there's not a lag even when DRL get hectic. I know as a reader how frustrating it is when a story is in limbo LOL :p

10. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm happy to announce I've taken on ElvisTheCat as my Padawan. :)

11. ElvisTheCat

ElvisTheCat Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2009
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Congrats to Aiel and Elvis the Cat. That is a cute! user name! LOL

13. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    I'm in a writing slump, but looking to get back in the fandom. Perhaps a padawan will do the trick?

NAME:Myriad Daydreams, you can just call me Myriad

LOOKING FOR: Padawan :D

ERA: Any era, really. Nothing too pre-TPM or too post-NJO or I won't be very knowledgeable about the events.

FAVE CHARACTERS: Mara Jade, Luke, Obi-Wan, Shaak Ti, Qui-Gon, with a fondness for minor characters as well.

STRENGTHS: Description, outlining, characterization

WEAKNESS: Long stories, stories heavy with dialogue, intense action scenes, comedy

I LOVE TO WRITE: Oneshots, vigs, character analysis/introspection, emotional moments

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: I'll write anything, really.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I was a padawan to divapilot about a year ago, and I've been taking a TFN break for the past year or so. Time flies.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): All of my oneshots can be found here, check them out to see what my style is.

14. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    I'm in the same boat as Myriad! Darth Real Life hit real hard this past year, and I'm hoping to get back into writing.

NAME: Jaya Solo

LOOKING FOR: Padawan

ERA: Um... I mostly write Saga and Beyond. I actually wrote one story in Before so I'm very proud of myself for brancing out. ;)

FAVE CHARACTERS: In no particular order... Wes Janson!, Siri, Obi-Wan, Padmé, Anakin, Tahiri, Luke, Leia...

STRENGTHS: Humor, Dialog, Drama/Angst, Mush

WEAKNESS: Action

I LOVE TO WRITE: Fun, lighthearted stuff. I tend to write stories that are AU, and they're usually funny. Most of the time I write shorter things, but I've branched out into epics.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Nope, not tempting the plot bunnies by saying I'll never write something.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: Well, it's been a while since I've had time to be active. Seems graduating from grad school, starting a job, and getting married takes some of the free time away. I've trained a bunch of padawans (who are all kinda crazy weird like me), and I try to run the Fan Fiction Orientation Guide.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Geez... there are so many... so I'll put down some of my sillier or shorter things (one from each era):
    Mental Note: Next Time, Act First, Think Later. This one is a slightly mushy, Siriwan in the before time period.
    Palpatine's Blog. Um... I think it's self explanitory.
    Solo's Anatomy. It's a ?cross-over? with Jaina talking like Meredith from Grey's Anatomy.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Myriad :* :* You're back! [face_dancing] Congrats to you and Little Miss Nightsaber--a stellar team... I can feel it [face_dancing]

[face_dancing]

16. mujapple-juicey

Jul 21, 2008
    congrats to all the recent teams!

the current topic... um...

well, I just type...

17. SunriderJazz

SunriderJazz Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2009
    NAME: SunriderJazz, or Matt [my real name] [It doesn?t really matter to me!]

LOOKING FOR: A Master

ERA: I have somewhat of an ?obsession? with the KOTOR era so don?t be surprised if you see me posting a lot of my stories in the ?Before the Saga? board. I?ve attempted some post-Saga work, which has been disappointingly unsuccessful to this point, though there?s a lot to expand. As for ?The Saga?, I?ve never attempted to touch upon that era though I?ve had some ideas in the back of my mind for some fiction in that timeframe.

FAVE CHARACTERS: To tell you the truth, this is such a hard question to answer because the galaxy holds many an interesting inhabitant. BUT if you held a blaster pistol to my head, I?d say the loveable, crazy crew of the Ebon Hawk the first time they went on a galaxy-wide tour.

STRENGTHS: I have a strange knack for AU pieces. Maybe the way I describe people, places, and things could be put in here too? Oh, and I?ve written a few cool combat scenes [which then were lost within the destroyed recesses of my old PC?].

WEAKNESSES: I get an idea in my head of how to begin a story, then poof! What happens next? Basically, plot development. I have always despised writing romance scenes because I find mine always become too cliché.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Anything set within the KOTOR era, one-shots, stories that center around an original character, ridiculously long-winded descriptions of people, places, and things when opening a story.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: If you ever to ask me to write Anakin/Padme, I?ll most likely say no. I just have this really strange aversion to writing something centered on their relationship. No slash either, as that?s not allowed here on the Jedi Council Forums. Anything other than that, I?m game.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME
    : I?m eighteen, I?ll be a second-semester student attempting to double major [perfomance and music business] at a certain music school in Boston coming this January, and I hit the skins [translation: play the drums], along with some piano, for a living. Other than that, I write as much as possible for a college student, play a wide variety of video games, engage in craziness at the late hours of night with friends, and enjoy life as much as humanly possible.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Here you go! [Click here to read SunriderJazz?s ?A Lesson?]

18. mujapple-juicey

Jul 21, 2008
    welcome aboard, Matt!

(please fasten your seatbelt) :p

>(fish)

19. LouQuinn

LouQuinn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 14, 2010
    NAME: Lou Quinn

ERA: beyond the saga

FAVE CHARACTERS:
    Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade, Han Solo, Leia Organa

STRENGTHS:
    writing dialogues, banters and plot bunnies, grammar *smirk*

WEAKNESS: interpreting ideas into paragraphs *Gahh*

I LOVE TO WRITE: romance-comedy, angst-romance

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: slash of Luke/some other guy, Luke/Callista happily ever after, sad-ending fic

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I am sixteen with a lot on my plate to handle with. Currently studying for IGCSE, loves to do anything that has to do with art. Though I am not a native of english, I always score 10 out of 10 for grammar and pronounciation. But always got 8 out of 10 for listening session (which irked me to no end). I listen to a lot of music and got inspired by music everyday in everything I do. I have been a silent lurker of this site for 3 years or so, and had the guts of signing up just now. Though I'm a star wars fan, I'm not a geek (at all, surprisingly). But yes, I do envied the geeks, they always looked so cool when doing things they love :)

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5197124/1/Dirty_Little_Secrets) only the first chapter is available. the rest remained in my head, which is why i need a master

20. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Since the last one didn't work out....I thought I might try again.

NAME: Takianna

LOOKING FOR: Padawan

ERA: Saga era, maybe dabble in Before.

FAVE CHARACTERS: Captain Rex, Clones, Obi-wan, Anakin (When I'm in the right mood)

STRENGTHS: Random Clone knowledge and Characterization

WEAKNESS: Using pronouns too much and using the word THAT (I HATE THAT WORD!)

I LOVE TO WRITE: Stories about clones and how they really aren't like everyone thinks. I'm a sucker for a good romance, although I'm not that great at writing it. I have no abilities to write humor unless it's off the cuff comments.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Humor because I'm lame at it. Other than that I'll write about anything!

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I followed the band Def Leppard around on tour for almost two years. That taught me many things about how people act and how it's sometimes really hard to get along. I have seen them in concert 29 times and own their entire catalogue of music.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING:
    This War, Surrogate and While I Wait

21. Creche_Master

Creche_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Lists are up to date now.

And a topic that's near and dear to my heart:

Burnout

The story's halfway done, but you can't seem to find the inspiration to keep on to the end. Your readers are clamoring for more - or worse, have started to disappear. The characters have lost your attention, the plot has stalled before hitting its stride, and the words on the page are dull and lack-luster. You keep finding yourself in the JCC, or SFF, or wandering away to Facebook, PostSecret, and even ([face_shhh]) Texts from Last Night. What do you do? Give up the story? Find a way to breath new life into it? Rewind and revise?

22. cindrollic99

cindrollic99 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2007
    NAME: Dylan

LOOKING FOR: A Master

ERA: Well, I've Written in pretty much all the era's . . .

FAVORITE CHARACTERS: Don't have one, actually. Love them all. (Yes, even Jar-Jar)

STRENGTHS: Characters, Plotting, and Action.

WEAKNESS'S: Humor and light-hearted-ness.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Dark, personal stories. Character and interactions go above most things for me.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: A comedy. I'm not good at it, and I don't think/know if I ever will.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I'm 18, and the past 4 years of my life I have been reading Star Wars books exclusively. Up to 52 now. Only now am I expanding, becoming a growing fan of Dan Brown, Stephen King, and Joseph Campbell. I'm no longer afraid to say weather or not a book is good. (But I won't force my opinion down your throat) Even if there's 100 messages where people say it was great.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: http://www.fanfiction.net/~cindrollic Some of them are kind long.

23. LittleMissNightsaber

LittleMissNightsaber Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2009
    Don't I know it!

It's really hard when you get plot-bunnies for other fandoms. (Exactly what I'm going through) I just need to update that diary before Saturday! But I felt that way during NaNo. I wanted to stop, mainly due to the holiday and family being over. But I got through with the amount of words I wanted.

24. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    There are a couple different things I do. Sometimes I won't even try to write for that story for a week or two (or even for a month). During this time I'll work on other stories my muse has been bonking me over the head with (my muse can get quite violent when I ignore her). Then after time has passed, I'll go back to read the story I'd put aside for awhile. Sometimes this gets my muse to say, "Oh yeah, about that..." and it goes on from there.

Other times I try writing a different scene that is for a later chapter for the story. This way I'm obligated to write what leads up to it. :p

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Fortunately for my burnout and unfortunately for me, I don't have very much time to write anymore. That does mean that I get to take breaks and come back refreshed, but I wish I had more time to write.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.