main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Creche Thread: New Topic- Cliffhangers: Necessary or Evil?- LISTS UPDATED 5-31

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Creche_Master, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I write crossovers. :p Remarkable how many ways you can tie Star Wars into other fandoms.

2. AngeDechu

AngeDechu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2010
    I'm trying to make a fiction about the Clone Wars (that extends in the future) and I would like to have any insight on it, as English is not my first language.

3. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    First of all welcome to the forums! [:D]As to your question, you should try to find a Master who will give you more one-on-one advice for your story. On the first page of this thread there is a brief survey that you can fill out and post. That way you can give potential Masters a more specific idea of what kind of help you need. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

4. AngeDechu

Jun 6, 2010
    NAME:
    Angedechu

LOOKING FOR:
    Master

ERA:
    Clone Wars/Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS:
    Non-Jedis, Non-Mandalorians, normal people

STRENGTHS:
    A relatively complex plot

WEAKNESS:
    My poor mastery of english

I LOVE TO WRITE:
    Very complex plots/a perception of the force closer to Elfen Lied than Jedi Academy

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE:
    Anything romance heavy, as I suck completely

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available):
    I did wrote a full fantasy novel in French

5. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Oh, I'm terrible for this. Except that I don't end up with finished stories from the new fandom either. :p

I am attempting to manage this now by taking up crocheting. That way I will watch less TV and have more dishcloths. :)

6. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    This happens to me too, but the best "solution" I have found is changing the way I view the situation. Writing fanfic for me is always for fun, it's not a job, and so if I get "distracted" by writing in a different fandom, well, it's still writing. Often, by trying something completely new I'll get some more creative juices going, and I'll always eventually wander back to my initial fandoms. It just takes patience. Forcing myself to write for some genre I'm just not feeling isn't worth it - you can tell in the finished work that I wasn't feeling it. I'd rather have tons of unfinished stories (guilty!) than tons of stories that I'm unhappy with.

7. AngeDechu

Jun 6, 2010
    Oh, I forgot, my fiction.

8. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    I've taken TheFunnyLittleYoda as my Padawan!

9. Star_Bender

Star_Bender Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2010
    NAME: Star_Bender aka Sarah, Sarah Beth, or SB

LOOKING FOR:
    Master

ERA:
    Before the Saga, and during (usually between Episodes III & IV )

FAVE CHARACTERS:
    Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon Jinn, Yoda, Luke & Leia (it?s been so long since I?ve read any EU stuff that I can?t remember any characters)

STRENGTHS:
    Grammar, description, plot beginnings and ends.

WEAKNESS: Dialogue, combat descriptions, middle-ish plot.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Master/padawan stories (KOTOR era), Rebel Alliance stories, stories involving starfighter pilots

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE:
    Slash, gushy romance, something that?s solely humor

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME:
    I?m a 22 year-old college senior, majoring in creative writing. I?m also studying to get my pilot?s license. I?m engaged to married to a psyche major/med school hopeful. Sarcasm is my second language (my third is French). I have a sock named RogueSquadronFlygirl that I will never be able to use because I can?t remember which email I used. :p

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: There?s only one, and it?s VERY old and a bit embarrassing to my older self:

http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/20245997/p1/?89

10. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Name: Skywalker_T-65

Looking for: Padawan

Era:All though favorite is Saga.

Favorite Characters: The Skywalkers, The Solos, Obi-Wan, Siri, Qui-Gon, the KOTOR Characters (except the Sith).

Strengths: Plot, Characters, romance, long stories.

Weakness: short (as in one-shot) stories since I can't bring myself to not make it at least 3 or 4 chapters, grammar (working on it).

I love to write: Actiony stories, long (epic) stories, and crossovers.

No way will I ever write: Slash since I don't like that stuff at all (no offensise to people who do).

Random Facts about me: I am only 17 but already have 3 stories all of which are over 10,000 words long and still going in fact my second two could very well get to 100,000 words. I am free for most of the week to help if someone needs it but on Sundays (at least until I get a new computer) I will have no accsess to a computer so if you send me something on Sunday don't expect a reply till Monday (sorry about that) I am also a big L/M fan and really dislike the Legacy of the Force Books books since they killed off so many people. This is a recent thing, but I am the manager of the new Crossover discussion thread.

Link to a sample of my writing: Black Moon Jedi Here is the only real sample on theforce.net. Here are my other two stories both on Fanfiction.net, Change of Fate and Gundam SEED: The Rising Star. I have also recently posted Rising Star in the NSW forum, and personally I think it is my best writing, though the Fanficiton.net version is better.

11. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    NAME: Irish_Jedi_Jade aka Ashley

LOOKING FOR: Padawan

ERA: Beyond

FAVE CHARACTERS: Luke/Mara definitely! Also, Leia and Han

STRENGTHS: Grammar/technical stuff...brainstorming, thinking of a title

WEAKNESS: Mmm...I can get a little too into the story and not want to finish it, let it drag. Also coming up with an plot on the fly is rough for me

I LOVE TO WRITE: Mush is definitely my favorite. Also like action and humor, and I'm getting to really like angst...but always with a happy ending!

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Slash, torture of any type. Not really a fan of crack!ships either

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I'm in the military, I love things blowing up and all kinds of weapons. Recently married, and I can't bake (cake, brownies, etc) for my life! :p

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): Acceptance (angst) The Best Solution (mush)

12. Creche_Master

Creche_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Lists Updated: 9-16-10

NEW DISCUSSION: Time Management

As writer's I'm sure the inevitable Darth Real Life has stepped in the way of your writing more than once and there just hasn't been the time to update as regularly as readers would like. Time management is definitely something that can be very difficult, and I know this from experience. How do you make time for writing fics when life steps in the way?

13. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    For me it's not so much finding and setting aside time to write, it's more a matter of maximizing free time whenever it comes up.

My goal is to do at least thirty minutes of writing a day. Sometimes I can sneak this in during a lunch break on campus or at work or the half-hour before I go to sleep that would otherwise be spent surfing for silly videos on YouTube.

And on the subject of maximizing, it's important to make what little time you can come up with count. That's why in the last year I've really taken to outlining, especially with long-fics. If you have a good idea what you're trying to accomplish when you sit down in front of your notebook or keyboard you'll be shocked at how much you can bang out in thirty minutes.

Once you're in a groove, occasionally you'll be surprised when you start finding more and more time in your day to write. Suddenly watching Jeopardy! doesn't seem nearly as entertaining as writing ;)

Tl;dnr version, make yourself do some writing every day. Whether it be ten minutes or thirty minutes, just try to sit down and let your muse work for a while. Go into your free time with an outline or some sort of pre-writing so you have an idea of what you're looking to get done. Most importantly, keep at it!

14. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Well, for me I just make time to write whenever I can. I always write at least 30 minutes, but sometimes I get to much into it to stop it. My bigger problem is finding time to type, but thats another discussion entirely. So my advice is, if you want to write, then write, just don't push yourself too far.

15. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    As writer's I'm sure the inevitable Darth Real Life has stepped in the way of your writing more than once and there just hasn't been the time to update as regularly as readers would like. Time management is definitely something that can be very difficult, and I know this from experience. How do you make time for writing fics when life steps in the way?

I feel like scheduling time or making a quota for the day is exactly like work. I usually write in the evenings. It's like any other hobby. Forcing myself to sit down and write something usually turns out badly.

16. Raxacoricofallapatorius

Raxacoricofallapatorius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2010
    NAME: Cade

LOOKING FOR: Master

ERA: I enjoy the Saga and a little before. I haven't experienced much in the Beyond but I'm interested. :D

FAVE CHARACTERS: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Siri Tachi, Anakin Skywalker, and Niktas. I like Sith Lords. :)

STRENGTHS: Angst, hurting my favorite characters, and story endings. (And getting rid of my OCs in an unhappy way [face_laugh])

WEAKNESS: I get carried away with my stories but when a new idea pops in, I start on that one. You could say...I'm a procrastinator. I also try to cram in as much action as I can in a short amount of space, making the fun drain out before I can get to my point. [face_whistling]

I LOVE TO WRITE: Messed up missions where the charries don't complete their job and end up in the healer's ward. :D

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Sexuality.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME:
    I like horses and love sleeping on the floor. :D With a sleeping bag of course. I can do this thingee o_O and have fun doing it. I am a student in school and my favorite subject would be English. I like chocolate chip cookies. [face_coffee]

I don't have any samples onsite right now...I will soon. [face_peace]

BTW: I like using faces.

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'd like to announce that I've taken Cade_Cryocharger as my padawan!!

18. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I've been around these boards for over two years now, so I think I'm finally qualified to put my head in as a master.

NAME: SoA

ERA: Before, specifically, way before any of the Saga characters were around, TOR, KOTOR, etc.

FAVE CHARACTERS: Revan, Carth, Mical, R2-D2, Nomi & Vima Sunrider, Zayne

STRENGTHS: Probably OCs and character development, dialogue, world building

WEAKNESS: fight scenes, romance beyond puppy-love, evil characters

I LOVE TO WRITE: Adventure! OC stories.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Slash.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: No padawans yet. But other fun info: in college I studied math, Japanese, and a little bit of classical operatic training on the side. These days I'm living in India, and I still don't know how to wear a sari. Also, I really like pumpkin pie.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Under the Shadow of the Builders & Taninim and Leviathan

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Name: Jade_eyes

Looking For: Padawan

Fave Genres & Characters: Luke/Mara, Liz/Kyp, Jag/Jaina; mush, humor, drama.

Write in: Beyond the Saga and also Saga.

Writing Strengths: Romance, bantering dialogue, missing scenes, grammar.

Weaknesses: Battle scenes LOL

Will Write: One shots, songfics & roulette challenges. Am branching into the short story.

Will Never Write: Character Torture/death; Slash.

Fun facts: Love reading historical fiction & romances. I adore smooth jaaz, Dr. Pepper, chocolate, sushi. And another fandom: Star Trek, specifically 2009. Specifically Nyota/Spock. Drool dumpster please.

Link to writing sample:

Cherished Moments - Then, Now and Always

20. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Oh, why not? This looks like fun :D

NAME: Lane_Winree, preferably just Lane. Or "Hey, nerf-herder."

ERA: Mostly Beyond, occasionally the Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: Wedge/Iella, Tycho/Winter, Hobbie, Wes, Rogues, Wraiths

STRENGTHS: Action, drama, banter, missing scenes, OC development, plot outlining

WEAKNESS: Antagonist depth, occasional info-dump issues in longer narratives, prequel era characters

I LOVE TO WRITE: Pilot and military themed fics ala the X-Wing novels. Missing scene shortfics, character introspection shortfics, humor shortfics, action/conspiracy longfics

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Dark Nest era fic

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: Let's see, I'm a saxophonist and keyboard player for a local area band on weekends. During the work week, I'm a CWU computer science student and an IT professional for a Seattle-area food company.

Longfic
    X-Wing: Genesis of a Rogue - Post LotF era action/drama/conspiracy fic starring Syal Antilles

Vignette
    Next of Kin - Missing scenes covering the time between the Rogue Squadron comics and the X-Wing novels. Examines the friendship between Wedge Antilles and Tycho Celchu

Songfic
    Stolen Moments - An angsty romance fic set between the Hand of Thrawn duology and the Union comics. Set to Oliver Nelson's "Stolen Moments"

21. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    NAME: Hazel

FAVE CHARACTERSS: Luke/Mara, Corran/Mirrax, Solos, Booster.

WRITE IN: Beyond the Saga, maybe Saga.

WRITING STRENGTHS: Taking the reader into the story.

WEAKNESSES: Battle scenes, developing long stories, english vocabulary and grammar (english is my second language).

WILL WRITE: Whatever the bunny orders.

WILL NEVER WRITE: The death of my favourite characters for reasons other than old age, but never say never.

FUN FACTS: I'm portuguese and work with Geographic Information Systems for local City Hall. I was born the year the Saga started.
    I know how to make bread (the old fashioned way) but I never baked a cake.

LINK TO WRITING SAMPLE:
    Beloved Companion

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot!!!!

I & the very promising talent Hazel have teamed up [face_dancing] @};-

:D

Be on the lookout for even MORE L/M! Yayness!

23. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I've been wanting to do this for ages...

Name: Ceillean

Looking For: Padawan

Fave Genres & Characters: Kyp, Jag, Jaina, several OC's

Write in: Beyond the Saga

Writing Strengths: Romance, Humor, Drama

Weaknesses: Action

Will Write: Vignettes, Epics, Songfics -- anything really.

Will Never Write: Slash

Fun facts: I'm crazy, insane but overall a likable person. And I promise I don't bite. :p I love to read, I love to write, I would bathe in chocolate if I could

Link to writing sample:

Awakened
    pure romance AU

Bad Girlfriend
    written with the wonderful Kailene with a whole bunch of humor

Invictus
    what-if scenario

24. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Since KELIA, my Master, "retired" here we go again:

NAME: CPL_Macja

ERA: All but if I have to choose one, the Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: Wedge Antilles and any Mandalorians (especially the Fetts)

STRENGTHS: Character Development

WEAKNESS: Space Battles

I LOVE TO WRITE: About military fidelity, Alternate Universe, and Original Characters

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: About nothing

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I have seen and read everything Star Wars

Here are my WIPs:

Fics:
    The Saga - [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/29522058/r29632504/]Journeyman Knights - Revolution[/link]: Updated 4/06/10
    The Saga - [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/29784110/p1/]Legacy of the Republic - The Vaders[/link]: Updated 11/23/10

[hr]
    I guess what I am really looking for is someone to pre-read my posts to edit and critique them prior to my posting.

Let me know if there is anyone out there who can help me in my time of need.

25. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    This appears mildly diverting:

NAME: Mechalich

LOOKING FOR: Master (well, not really, but a beta-reader would be nice)

ERA: Saga, occasionally beyond the Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: OCs, I have no desire to inflict myself on the canon characters

STRENGTHS: Combat sequences, integration of obscure canon material, OCs

WEAKNESS: Believable, malevolent, three-dimensional villains

I LOVE TO WRITE: Stories involving the neglected parts of the canon and the galaxy, especially my little corner of the universe called the Kalat Arm.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Broad-scale AU, Crossovers, anything involving the Yuuzhan Vong

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I'm a semi-professional entomologist, and I love these freaky wasps you've never heard of.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING:
    The big one is The People's Armor.

26. Syryu

Syryu Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2010
    NAME: Syryu

ERA: The Saga and KOTOR era

FAVE CHARACTERS: Mace Windu, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, Lando, The Skywalkers. Darth Bane, Revan, Bastila, The Exile (male), The Handmaiden (Brianna), Atton, Jole, Carth, Mission Vao

STRENGTHS: Fight Scenes, Dialogue, Description

WEAKNESS: Punctuation, Several grammar rules, Actually finishing a story, fluff

I LOVE TO WRITE: Long action oriented pieces, Crossovers (specifically with Dragonball Z)

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Slash, Angst focused stories

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I'm a 20 year old college student whose spent a good portion of his life watching SW, action cartoons and anime. Which has a given quite the imagination and an itch for writing. Wrote my first fanfic when I was 12, which spawned into an 80 chapter epic that I didn't finish until I was 14 or 15. Since then I've started a bunch of stories but never actually finished them because they always spawn into some long epic tale. Go figure ^_^

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: http://www.fanfiction.net/~gammer (All my fanfiction)

Padawan Kakarot: Current SW story that I submitted here

Wrath of the Dragon King: An original piece I started, but haven't worked on in a while

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.