main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Creche Thread: New Topic- Cliffhangers: Necessary or Evil?- LISTS UPDATED 5-31

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Creche_Master, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    NAME: MsLanna

LOOKING FOR: Got a Master and a Padawan. :D But since I'm such a chatter box, I'll deal out free writing-talk to all who don't run away fast enou-, erm, I mean all who pm me.[face_blush]

ERA: Preferably shortly before Saga to before NJO

FAVE CHARACTERS: OCs, Clones, Thrawn, Jango Fett[face_love]

STRENGTHS: drama, humour and action

WEAKNESS: everything else :p I can't plot long stories, everything else I'm okay at.

I LOVE TO WRITE: OCs, crossovers, short stories, more OCs

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: NJO and after, A/P [face_not_talking]

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME:

I'm from Germany, so beware of the non-native speaker. And when I get emotional about a topic, I come across rather gruff, no offence intended. [face_batting]
    You might have noticed my addiction to emtoticons? [face_blush]

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING:
    When I Was Still Me Because it's finished.

All safe places For silly crossover humour.

Strictly Business Since I can do serious, too. :p

There's more in my profile or the Prolific Writer's Index.

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Oooh, first experiences!

What made you come to TF.N and want to join the FanFic community?

Nothing made me come to the TF.N; I kind of wandered in by accident. :p I wanted to join the FanFic community because of the wonderful, friendly atmosphere. [face_love] That's one of the things I love most about these boards -- you're able to share ideas and thoughts, discuss the aspects of writing with other writers and form friends. I haven't really seen this kind of atmosphere anywhere else.

What made you want to post your first story, labor of love that it is, here?

Ish became my master a couple days after I first joined the boards and though I wanted to post a story and she spent a couple months trying to get me to post. I was very nervous about the one I was working on at the time, an AU Dark Leia fic. That story never actually got posted, but eventually I got very frustrated with myself and decided to throw caution to the wind and just post the OC-centric, epic fic that I had just started. It was kind of scary, but the responses were all very kind and encouraging.

Which is another thing I love about this place. :)

3. jmsbndgrl

jmsbndgrl Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2004

Well I started reading fanfiction off the boards after AOTC, and strtd running out of fic to read so I went to the boards. I lurked on the boards for the longest time until I decided to be an active reviewer on the boards. I decided that if you didn't review then the author didn't know people were actually enjoying their story and they may quit suddenly on you. So I initially joined just to make sure the stories I was reading kept getting updated.

I had never considered myself as a writer, so when a couple of the friends I gained as my time as a reviewer started asking me about writing my own stuff I staunchly refused. However, after some prodding I did eventually post my first story. Of course, the understanding was that I would post one story and that would be it. Of course, to date I know have: 2 WIP Epics, 3 Completed Epics, 4 short stories, 9 vignettes, 4 songfics, and at least 3 plotbunnies that have yet to be written. So much for stopping at just one story! :p

I think the thing that had kept me writing is that TF.N is such a friendly community. I actually post my stuff on two other sites, but TF.N always gets my stuff first,plus some exclusives. I get better feedback here and apparently encouragement to make all my statements about not writing anymore false. ;) Maybe it also helps that since joining the Fanfic community over here, I've met a lot of interesting and new people many of which I am glad to call my friends.

I don't know if I would call it a "labor of love." Maybe I did think that at one point, but I really hate the story that was my "debut" fic. It wasn't that it was a bad story its just that I know I could have written a better story and it did not turn out the way I wanted it to. I think I posted because I was morbidly curious if I could actually pull off writing a story. I had come up with a plot bunny and the idea sort of took off in my mind which drove me to write it down. Looking back on it, I wish that plot bunny had died a horrible death! [face_devil]

I did get some encouragement to post from a friend of mine, darksideyesplease, actually I derived the plot bunny from one of his stories, "The Dating Game," so maybe we should blame him for my moment of insanity. :p All kidding aside though, I really should thank darksideyesplease [:D], since posting my first story I've found that I really enjoy writing and it has definitely become a hobby of mine. He's always been a good sounding board when I needed someone to talk to whether it was about a story or some other issues.

I actually still have my first story linked in my profile. Yes, I despise that story, but it was my start into fanfic writing, and therefore important. Either that or I'm trying to remind myself not to write something like that again. [face_laugh] It's been over 2 years since I first started writing and posting More to Life an extremely crazy Anakin/Padme story. However, for anyone reading this reply, I recommend you don't click on that link, it's scary! :p

4. HyperionRising

HyperionRising Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2007
    NAME:

LOOKING FOR: Master

ERA: Beyond the Saga, Before the Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: Jaina Solo, Jag Fel, Luke Skywalker, LSF Revan, LSF Exile, Atton

STRENGTHS: Thinking up story concepts. Action. Characterization, I think. Details, I'm told. Humor.

WEAKNESS: Finishing stories. Revising.

I LOVE TO WRITE: AU

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Obidala, other non-cannon pairings. I'm a cannon you-know-what.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I had another account here but I can't for the life of me remember the user name. I started reading the Young Jedi Knights in second grade and "The Courtship of Princess Leia" was my first adult book. I stopped reading, and, for a while, writing, Star Wars because of how much Jaina's treatment in the Dark Nest Trilogy upset me.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available):
    The Shattered Galaxy: My post-RotJ AU featuring just about everyone except the Ewoks.
    What My Mother Taught Me: My most reviewed work to date. A humor piece.
    The Shadows of the Rim: My KotOR 3 piece.

5. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    First off, lists are updated. [face_dancing] Are you all looking for potential pairings? :p

I also figured I should answer my own questions. :D

Way back in the dark ages... no, I kid. A buddy of mine who's also a huge Star Wars fan directed me here. He was more interested in the YJCC forum, but I was frightened of that place. Still am, as a matter of fact. [face_worried][face_mischief] Unfortunately for him, I found the FanFic forums and since then have rarely been dragged out of it. I was shocked to find that the stories I wrote with the SW characters actually had a category and that so many other people did it too!

[face_blush] My first story here was, frankly, a plotless piece of bantha poodoo. I posted it though, to see what other people thought and just in the general excitement of finding other people who loved writing as much as I did! I probably could have done well with a Master - or at least a beta. Fortunately for me, I got involved in some round robins, as well as being informally taken under another writer's wing, so I quickly improved my writing - and wisely let that first story sink to the abyss of the Classic forum.

6. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    What made you come to tf.n and want to join the fanfic community?
    I found the site on a Google search, and I've pretty much been here ever since. I had been writing fanfic for several years previously, and when I found other people who wrote fanfic, I decided to stay. I had originally been drawn here by the Literature boards, but now the Fanfic boards take up most of my time. The idea of getting feedback on my ideas from other people who understood Star Wars sounded great to me.

I wanted to see what other people thought. The first story really didn't work, and I refuse to name it. I took a hiatus from fanfiction then, and when a plot bunny suddenly bit me a little ways afterwards, I started on a story that I actually wanted to put some effort into. And I've been writing ever since. I think it was the people here, who were willing to read and critique. It was nice to share stories!

I have always enjoyed learning more, and I would like to put my name in as a potential Master.

NAME: SithGirl132, Raquel, Rocky- I've had a lot of funny name manglings.

LOOKING FOR: (please indicate Master or Padawan): Padawan

ERA: Primarily Beyond, especially the NJO/LOTF time

FAVE CHARACTERS: Pretty much the whole Solo/Skywalker clan. I also love Vergere and twisting my brain around her philosophy. Iceheart and Daala are also fun to write.

STRENGTHS: Convoluted plots, angst, speculation, AU

WEAKNESS: Humor, OC's. Speling. Remembering to update things. Getting off the computer at 3 AM when I have to be up for work at 8:30. Doing homework on time. Coffee!

I LOVE TO WRITE: Anything painfully angsty. Anything with Dark Jacen or the threat of one. Vergere. Crossovers. Dark Jaina. Action, drama, and intrigue. Wild AU. L/M, V/P are my favorite pairings! The more drama, the better.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: I don't want to say never- you never know what will happen! but I'm not good at mush- it always deteriorates into drama or things that are not appropriate on this site.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: (number of current Padawans for all Masters!): I am here a lot- lurking when I'm not posting. I'm a college sophomore studying geology, environmental policy, and geekiness of all sorts. I have a major caffeine addiction, like all the science majors at this school. My soul probably belongs to my school's Science Fiction and Fantasy Society. I'll stop procrastinating tomorrow. Though I am a science major, I spend too much time doing musical things as well. I am a vegetarian. Every time I try to write something, it always goes darker than I'd expected. I had a bio professor who reminded me of Vergere. I own a completely inappropriate amount of books. I love cats, dragons, dinosaurs, and reptiles. Someday I'll learn not to take languages: so far, I've studied Spanish and Italian and I'm now taking German, and I have a general reading knowledge of French since I've taken too many other languages. I am a walking dictionary and SpelCheck, though I don't know anything about English grammar. I have one Padawan, though I haven't heard much from her in a long time.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): All of my fics are in the Prolific Writers Thread. But the one that I like best as a writing sample is Lightsaber and Amphistaff, my 2007 NaNo project.

7. Creche_Master

Creche_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Lists are updated. :)

8. Lightsaber123

Lightsaber123 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 31, 2007
    NAME: Lightsaber123

LOOKING FOR: Master

ERA: Beyond the Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: Tahiri Veila, Bastila Shan, and Jagged Fel

STRENGTHS: Yuuzhan Vong. Developing Stories out of plotbunnies.

WEAKNESS: Lack of will power to rewrite after first draft is done.

I LOVE TO WRITE: AU, and Time Travel. Far future.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Jahiri, Valiri, and any other unusual Tahiri pairing. N.B. I consider Beniri canon.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: [face_plain]

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING
    Please look in my bio for stories.

9. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    Lists are updated. :)

10. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    I really need to check this more often...

I decided that I wouldn't mind being a Master for someone who preferred the Before the Saga era. If you could change that for me, that'd be great. Sorry to make you update the lists again :(

It's a long story but ultimately I googled "Kyp/Jaina Fanfiction" and found the K/J thread. I thought that the K/J thread was the whole website and that there wasn't anymore to explore. Whenever I wanted to read more, I would just google the same thing and read 'em. I did that for a few months. Later on, I googled "Star Wars song parodies" and found the Humor section of TF.N. Eventually I realized that they were part of the same website. I didn't realize how huge and awesome TF.N was for a long time. I've been around since December but didn't sign up til June.

I think that this is a great website and that the people here are really cool. Reading other people's stories made me want to write my own. A few years back I wanted to be an author but wrote myself off as being bad at it. I decided to just try it. I wanted to write a K/J for my first story but I still haven't posted one. My very first story I ended up deleting but the rest of them turned out pretty good.

11. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    :eek: Sorry I missed that, MarasFire! And no worries, it only takes me a few moments to update. :p Which they are now. :D

New Topic: Creche Writing Prompts

This is more for my own reference that truly creche-related, but you're at my mercy. Hah. [face_mischief] Seriously, though, are writing prompts something you are all interested? Is anyone working on the writing prompt? Is this the kind of thing you newbies find helpful to post some of your work to the boards? Or would something else be more useful to you? Remember, this is your creche, and your opinion counts! :D Any suggestions for activities like this for the creche?

12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    In the spirit of the writing prompt, let's talk about first experiences here. What made you come to TF.N and want to join the FanFic community? What made you want to post your first story, labor of love that it is, here?

My sis posted here a couple times, and I followed her over. It was just so awesome -- I adored the stories and decided I wanted to write one of my own.

13. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    FYI for newbies: Jaya Solo has posted a prompt over in the FanFic Orientation Guide, so you all should check it out. :D

And the bold is me pretending to be in Creche_Master mode since I didn't want to switch to the sock. :p

14. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I like the writing prompts. Even if they don't spark a bunny right away they're always something to fall back on to. And I just like reading things that might give me ideas. Keep them coming.:D

15. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    [face_laugh] Love the Qui-Gon example!

n the spirit of the writing prompt, let's talk about first experiences here. What made you come to TF.N and want to join the FanFic community? What made you want to post your first story, labor of love that it is, here? Or, if you haven't posted any of your work here yet, what is intimidating about that first step?

I think I'd heard of TF.N from... um... I don't remember where. FernWithy/JediGaladriel, possibly. I figured the PG rating limit wasn't something I'd really have problems with, and it looked like a good place to try posting once I started wandering into Star Wars fic.

It was intimidating because I always feel uneasy when first moving into a new forum or other venue, I guess.

:eek: You have one too!

Well, I really like your first writing prompt. :) I've been ridiculously slow about getting anything written at all lately, but I'd kind of like to write something for it all the same. I do find that sometimes challenges are a good way to get started, if they're particularly inspiring, and this is a nice one -- specific enough to be interesting, but broad enough to leave a ton of room for people to apply it to their favorite characters and ideas.

*sigh* Speaking of being out of one's element, I finally filled out my application to be a Master... and let it sit for a little while... and realized that I'd lately made a few discussion posts around this forum and others (or started to make them) where I wasn't remotely confident about whether they were well made, whether making them at all was good judgment, or whether I wanted to deal with the follow-up debates. So I'm adding "social advice" as a weakness and sitting on it for a bit longer.

16. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    :eek: Persephone_Kore:eek:
    I am not alone with my craziness?
    Amazing.
    but your story is locked, and it only just started....

17. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Mine was only ever supposed to be a silly one-shot, actually. It started as a ficlet prompt over in Livejournal -- I listed potential fandoms to request in, and one person's request was along the lines of "I'd like to see this or this or this or this" so I kind of jammed them together. I have sort of a concept for a follow-up plot for it, but not one I'm really interested in writing.

18. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Bringing this back up to encourage more people to post on this topic. :)

19. Lightsaber123

Aug 31, 2007
    Greetings,

Let it be known that I am honoured to have Kidan as my Master.

Thank you for your attention.

20. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Aye, I've agreed to lead Lightsaber123 to a better understanding of the joy of destroying characters physically and/or emotionally. I'm certain we'll get along wonderfully, and please remove my name from the list. Thanks! :)

21. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    Done and done. :) Congratulations to Lightsaber123 and Kidan!! [:D]

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Congrats, Han and Saber!!!

Saber, you better watch out, no character is safe when Kidan is around! ;)

23. Lightsaber123

Aug 31, 2007
    Thanks [face hug]

Hugs Wynssa Fel doll closer, mutter to self: Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you... Not as long as Daddy's around...

24. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    thanks Tahiri!

And that's not entirely true... there's characters I've not killed... err.. uhm... [face_thinking]... WEDGE!! I haven't killed Wedge yet!

I think...

25. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Great job Creche_Master(s), keep up all the great work!

NAME: correllian_ale

LOOKING FOR: Cocoa fetching intern, er, I mean Padawan.

ERA: Yes please.

FAVE CHARACTERS: Han, Chewie, Yoda, Darth Vader. EU: Skirata & Omega Squadron, Thrawn & Pelleaon, Jos Vonader, Jag Fel

STRENGTHS: Original Characters, dialogue, scene progression, epics.

WEAKNESS: short stories - I can't seem to keep them short; description/adjectives (I either too much or not enough it), speedy responses for Beta :( (unless you say: I need this by XX/XX date).

I LOVE TO WRITE: Variety of different stories and missing scenes (especially ones that can't be proven DIDN'T happen).

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Slash, or 'ship fics. Or crossovers.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: (number of current Padawans for all Masters!) No padawans, everytime I take one they disappear...[face_worried] *shrugs*. Maybe it's my sarcasm, but I prefer to think I'm saucy.

At one time I used to manage local rock/heavy metal bands, but frequently was "released from duty" for being the outrageous rock star.

Any potential padawans should be prepared to sing the lyrics to Oscar the Grouch's "I Love Trash" and/or Kermit the Frog's "Rainbow Connection". [face_devil]

Oh. And I like Star Wars. :p At a company trainging session, as part of a "getting to know you" excercise, I was asked what my favorite movie was and why. I said "Star Wars", and if you have to ask why; well then, I can't stay here.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available):
    Some very short stories just to give you an idea of what I like to write variety-wise:
    I Am Still the Master
    Used to Love Her
    Aruetii

[b]What made you come to TF.N and want to join the FanFic community?[/b]

I just came across the Forums when browsing through TF.N's main site looking for spoilers for
    Episode II. I had been gobbling up their stories in the archive section, and decided to lukr here for a while.

Previous experiences with message boards and chat rooms kept me distant, but while reading a fic by [b]VaderLVR64[/b] where Qui-Gon lived past TPM and trained Anakin; I thought, "I gotta' comment on this" and joined. I loved the sense of supportiveness and community I saw, an felt at how right away. [face_grin]

[b]What made you want to post your first story, labor of love that it is, here?[/b]

Just to fling pasta to the wall and see if it would stick, I posted my first fic, and the response was so good, and the passion from a group of strangers over a hobby I loved was so strong, I just posted again. And again. And again. [face_tongue]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.