main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Cricket - Phil Hughes dies after being struck by bouncer

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rebel_Padawan, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    It has been reported today that Phillip Hughes has passed away in hospital two days after being struck by a cricket ball on the head.

Phil, who was reportedly in contention to regain his spot in the Australian Test Team, was batting for South Australia against New South Wales at the SCG, looking in good form on 63 runs, when he miscalculated a high ball which subsequently hit him on his head in an area not protected by his helmet. Phil collapsed face-forward to the ground in an unconscious state after initially trying to compose himself.

Medical staff were quick to attend to him, resuscitating him in the middle of the field and he was rushed to hospital in an ambulance in a critical condition.

All who have played cricket are aware that there is a small amount of danger when batting, but this is truly saddening and shocking.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends in this sad time.
    My thoughts also go out to the bowler Sean Abbott who bowled the ball to Hughes. It was an accident. I hope he is able to pull through.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    For our American friends, this is like say Jack Johnson being killed by a routine check.

It's shocking and sad.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Im sure Tunick would know for sure but I can't recall a MLB baseball player dying from a pitch and they happen every year. Are the helmets different?

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  5. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Chapman

6. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    It's much the same in cricket. Batsmen actually get hit all the time, but Phil got hit on just the wrong spot. Completely freak accident.

Truly tragic. My heart goes out to Phil's family and friends, and to Sean Abbott.

7. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    RIP Phil Hughes :-(

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=2945798&src=desktop]The[/url] latest was in '07, in the Minor Leagues... a base coach died after being hit in the head

It doesn't happen every year, quite rare in fact.

Obviously, heartbreaking news about Hughes.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

My mistake. I meant shots total,not to the face. I still remember that Sports Illustrated cover shot of the guy getting hit square in the face back in the 80s when I was a subscriber. Its a classic terrible shot.

RIP cricket star.

10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    A tragic fluke accident. My thoughts are with the family, and also with Sean Abbott, the bowler. I couldn't even begin to imagine how he is feeling.

SithLordDarthRichie and ShaneP like this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    From what I heard the ball hit him in the neck and crushed one one of the main arteries to the brain. The area hit wasn't protected by his helmet.

I saw on the news that Lord's Cricket Ground in London put its flag at half-mast today since he spent time playing for Middlesex.

Condolences to family and friends.

12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Apparently the helmet he was wearing was an older design, which had less protection than newer models.

Very sad. RIP.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Nice gesture from Lords.

I also feel for Sean Abbott. Photos have peppered the media of him looking, as expected, like an utterly deflated and heartbroken man.

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    For those interested, it appears what happens is he was struck directly over an artery, which compressed and then split, leading to massive bleeding into the brain. These injuries are usually fatal at the time of injury. Hit at the wrong spot at the wrong time.

There are only ~100 recorded cases of this injury in worldwide medical literature, apparently, and only 1 from a cricket ball.

15. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003

An amazing tribute from Australian Cricket Team captain Michael Clarke to his "little brother"

Draconarius likes this.