main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cricket World Cup 2007

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Kyptastic, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    6/322, but rain stopped lay until tommorrow. I wouldn't write the West Indies off, especially if Gayle and Lara can get going.

I agree to an extent on Tait, but he has more of an X-Factor than Lee, with that low slinging action, and can be a threat.

2. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Tait is rubbish.

This rain is really becoming a problem. If only they learn't to share the rain with us here in Australia, there wouldn't be so many delays.

3. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I still can't get over the fact that Clark isn't playing. He is much better than Tait.

Huh, a rain delay, imagine that. Very interested in how this pans out. With some of Australia's bowling as of late, the Windies certainly have a chance.

Excellent work, Hayden.

4. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    What besides the actual sport o_O

really is a bit of a niave statement to make.

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    But sadly there is a ring of truth to it as well LOL

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Can someone explain how the super 8 works? According to the BBC table, they've already all played a game.

7. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I'll explain it off the top of my head.

Now that we're down to 8 teams, each team plays every other team. However, because these teams have come from four different groups - which means there are four pairs of teams that have already played each other - not every match is now played (i.e. no teams play against each other twice before the semi's). So, each team now only plays six matches; foregoing the seventh match against the team from their group which they have already played.

But, that match which they have already played against one of the other Super 8 teams still counts. Especially the points. It is this match for each of the eight teams which you see that they've all already played.

Make sense?

The Aus / Windies match is being continued right now. The Windies are batting their fifty overs, and are already 3/85. It's basically halfway, too, in the 25th over. Not so good, eh?

:D

8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Windies = overrated. their bowlers have always been suspect but their batsmen haven't done the job today. i think the final 4 is pretty conclusive at this point.

also, the fact the stadiums are half empty probably aren't helping in regards to the whole home support thing. can't imagine any home game in a home WC in the majority of any other major nation being half empty.

9. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Sri Lanka all out for 209.

Great fielding and bowling from the S Africans. Fantastic run out by Gibbs. It's a must see -- almost exactly like the famous Jonty Rhodes run out in the 92 world cup.

I wonder if South Africa will chase successfully. Great batting line-up but they're up against quality bowlers on a pitch favouring the bowlers.

10. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Big win for Aussie!

And SA only 17 runs away with 5 wickets and plenty of overs.

Super 8 is made up of the top 2 teams from the 4 pools. The top team from each of those pools takes 2 pints into the Super 8 from winning the match against the 2nd placed team in their pool. Once in the Super 8 each team plays all the other teams EXCEPT for the other team from their pool as they have already played them. At the end of these games the 4 teams with the most points play the semi's. :)

11. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    SA choking big time!!!!!!

Were 193/5 now 207/8, chasing 210 to win, classic SA at the World Cup, always good for a choke!!!!!

Malinga HAT-TRICK!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Make that a DOUBLE HAT-TRICK, four wickets in four balls!!! 207/9, still 3 runs needed

Edit: 208/9, 1 to win 2 to tie!

Edit: Maiden over from Vaas, this is TENSE!!!

Edit:

48.2 Malinga to Peterson, FOUR, Peterson does it for SA with a edge past the slip. Fullish, outside off stump, Peterson drives, gets a outside edge and it runs down to third man boundary. SA have won. They choked at the end but have pulled it off. Peterson jumps in the air, pumps his fist and then smashes the stumps down at the other end. Immediately apologises!

SA WIN!! .....just

12. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Wow. Malinga just went nuts. South Africa got home in the end though.

13. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Nice work Aussies! :D

Wow, I would love to see those four balls. That ending of the other match sounds like it was a beauty.

14. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    lol @ SA

3 runs required, 5 wickets in hand, Kallis at the crease... what price a loss? 1000/1? only SA...

NZ need to win today. can't let Australia be the only remaining undefeated team!

Fleming elects to field...

15. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Bond strikes!!

1 down.

16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    They're not showing it on TV. Only the Aussie matches get that it appears. :p

After about 40 overs, Windies are 6/155. Not that impressive to be honest, but if they're sharp with the ball you never know what will happen. They should be able to get enough to force NZ to play their hand, and play it well they had better.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    11 required of 75 with 7 wickets in hand.

[face_dancing]

Easy win. Top of the table = with Aussie on 8 points.

18. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Actually it's 4 points JP!

Yeqah super win, great bowling preformance put together, and another great chase of a low toatl depsite a few gitters early on :cool:

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Oh, of course 4 points it is.

20. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    No probs :p

Wow could my spelling be ANY worse in that previous post...so ashamed [face_blush]

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  22. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Great catch that was indeed! ANd it was the bowlers FIRST ball at the World Cup!

23. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Maybe I was wrong about the West Indies, especially if the Captain is overruling the coach and selection committee when putting the team together.

It's almost down to a four horse race now. I can't see Bangladesh and Ireland doing much more damage. West Indies are dispirited. England are the dark horse and can probably pull out a surprise or two, but I see it now being Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and Sri Lanka in the Semi Finals.

24. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I never backed the Windies from the start. Great stuff NZ! I'd love if it an Aus vs NZ grand final came about in this tournament. [face_dancing]

That's awesome. [face_laugh]

Do you have one of Malinga's rampage?

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.