main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Crikey! There's such things as Sith Swords?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Excellence, Jul 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Okay, I've been researching Tales of the Jedi: Golden Age and Fall of the Sith Empires, in prelude to acquiring them. The cover fronts look very egyptian, harking back to the ancient-feel of the era they're in.

Then I saw lightsaberlike swords by the Sith wielders, and thought I've been hitting too much glitteryl lately. Haven't mastered the art of displaying pics yet---I'm working on expanding my repertoire beyond two emoticons---so I can only offer links as a visual reference.

Are they Sith swords, or am I mistaken?

http://www.theforce.net/comics/images/dhCovers/large/swfse3.jpg
    http://www.theforce.net/comics/images/dhCovers/large/swfse5.jpg
    http://www.theforce.net/comics/images/dhCovers/large/swgas2.jpg

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I'm no expert on that era but it looks like it

3. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yes, the Sith used very heavy and durable swords, like what you can see on the 2nd cover.

The other two covers show lightsabers, though. The only difference you can see is on the first one, where the power source is external, and linked to the saber via a cable.

4. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Yes, you're right. There does appear to be a cable powering that alien's sword/saber. I hand't noticed that before. Interesting . . .

5. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Not only the Sith use Sith Swords, Mighella a Dathomari Force Witch used a sith sword in to duel with Darth Maul even though Maul eventually destroyed it.

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Sith swords are alchemically enhanced.

7. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    And they're fairly lightsaber resistant too.

8. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    The ones in Golden age and Fall of the Sith Empire were crystal wiyh some wierd hoopajoop energy field.

9. snarf5181

snarf5181 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    When was that, mateo?

10. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    5,000 years prior to ANH.

And I like to think that the battery powered Sabers were a sort of fad myself. ;)

11. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    The early Sith used swords as I understand it because the first lightsabers were invented after the original Jedi-Sith split (25k BBY?).

12. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    It happens in the Darth Maul comic,the Force Witch is the bodyguard of a Dark Side Adept that controls Black Sun named Alexi Garyn,Maul kills them both and destroys most of black sun to prevent them from being a threat to Sidious's plans in the future,its set about 7 months before TPM.

13. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Satal Keto uses a Sith sword against Ulic in a duel in Dark Lords of the Sith. Notice the fact that Ulic's lightsaber strike's Satal's sword several times without slicing through it. I originally thought his sword was made from Mandalorian iron, but I've since seen something which says it's a Sith sword.

As for the images:

[image=http://www.theforce.net/comics/images/dhCovers/large/swfse3.jpg]
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/comics/images/dhCovers/large/swfse5.jpg]
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/comics/images/dhCovers/large/swgas2.jpg]

Check the Markup Codes Excellence.

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Thanks Knight. Much easier to see!

I have checked the links how to post pics, just never mastered the success of it. :D

15. Myaha

Myaha Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    they are enhanced crystal blades which the user surrounds with the Force... so a none force user would only have a heavy crystal blade to fight...

in RPG this is called Force Weapon...

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    in RPG this is called Force Weapon...

No, different thing.

Force Weapon is what a Force Adept does when they imbue a melee weapon with the Force. (RCRB)

A Sith Sword is a sword that is permanently, alchemically altered by Sith Sorcery. (DSSB)

Two different things.

17. Myaha

Myaha Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    okay, my mistake... two differnt things but same (?) effect...
    but I believe the Dathomiri in the Dath Maul comic used force weapon and not a Sith Sword...

18. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Force Weapon isn't permanent and fades over time, right?

Stuff done with sith alchemy is permanent.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Correct, Val.

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I think needing a power cable to feed those old sithswords is hilarious. A big bad warrior with magical power, commanding an empire . . . but you still gotta have that cable!

21. snarf5181

Apr 18, 2002
    that goes for jedi of that era also.

22. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    The Jedi themselves required powerpacks and cables to use their lightsabers during Golden Age of the Sith and Fall of the Sith Empire. Yet a thousand years later lightsabers were a self-contained unitl. Which goes to show you just how far the Jedi advanced their lightsaber technology in those years.

The first cover art is of a Jedi, the one who hosts the Great Convocation on Deneba in the third issue of Dark Lords of the Sith if memory serves. From checking out Fall of the Sith Empire several times, I don't recall seeing the Sith use lightsabers. Thus suggesting that it probably was not until Freedon Nadd before the Sith started carrying lightsabers.

23. snarf5181

Apr 18, 2002
    it seems odd that it took 20 thousand yrs or more to come up with batteries. maybe there was some sort of dark age shortly before the golden age of the sith.

24. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    It seems like it was more than just "batteries". Certain elements of the lightsaber had to be made even smaller. The lightsaber's focusing crystal in Fall of the Sith Empire is located outside the lightsaber handle, and seems much bigger than that used in the more traditional lightsaber design. The powersource had to be be shrunk and designed to recharge when needed, though it seems to hold it's charge for some time.

25. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Double post. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.