main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cringe-Inducing Lines

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by NorCalBirdz, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    >>>>We were discussing this past weekend that the balcony lines might be a little cringe-inducing, but more noteworthy is the fact that Anakin hasn't seen his wife in 5 months and still has all of his uniform on instead of his night clothes...

He has a zipper in those Jedi robes doesn't he?
    What more would he need, Sapes....?

....I'm guessing that Padme's hair brushing is of the post-coital variety.

Lots of matting going on there....

;)

-JR :)

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    :eek: - JR!

[face_laugh]

Yeah, she did have a few tangles there. But he still had on the glove, was all that we were talking about, really...erm.[face_blush]

Another cringe-worthy line for me (I loved this film though, I'm not picking it apart) was Sam's..."A Sith Lord?"

But this movie also had some that will go down as the best in the saga...

"Hello, there." [face_love]

"This is where the fun begins."

"Your arrogance blinds you, my little green friend."

"If so powerful are you, why leave?"

"Well then you are lost!"

"No loose wire jokes."

Just to name a few. :)

3. OBIWAN-JR

Oct 25, 2002
    The "Anakin, you're breaking my heart." line is just bloody fantastic.
    I loved it in the trailer - in fact it was the first part of the trailers which brought tears to my eyes, and made me realise that I was going to sob for England whilst watching ROTS. In context it is even more powerful. Especially as it is followed by the line:

"You're going down a path I can't follow."

[i]-- Padme Skywalker, ROTS, 2005[/i][hr][/blockquote]
    :_|

Soooooo sad.
    That whole scene is just brillliant, IMHO.
    I am always crying by the time that Obi-Wan says: [i]"You have done that yourself!"[/i]
    Natalie and Hayden are both excellent in it, especially Natalie.

And the fact that it has [i]Anakin's Betrayal[/i] playing behind it, just tops it off for the sob factor.

4. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    The music really underscored the emotion in this one, that's for sure. I loved the Mustafar stuff, and I certainly wasn't looking forward to it before hand.

5. OBIWAN-JR

Oct 25, 2002
    >>>> :eek: - JR! Yeah, she did have a few tangles there. But he still had on the glove, was all that we were talking about, really...erm.

Well there is always the chance that the glove had a hand(!) in that matting, Rhond.
    Depends which way Padme was facing on the balcony, when her hubby first arrived....

6. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I think Haydens most awesome line was either "Liar!" or "I hate you!"; as much as i love his good Anakin, Hayden just excells at the conflicted/evil side of him.

Or when he goes "We can rule the galaxy!" and he smiles while saying it; that was really insane and i loved it. Also when Padme says "I don't believe what i'm hearing...Obi Wan was right, you've changed" - that's the first and only time that she really seems disgusted by her husband.

Hayden/Natalie and Ewan really gave their all in the Mustafaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr scenes.

- O_F

7. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    JR, I'm not touching that one with a ten-foot pole... :p

I loved "Liar!"

You could see where ahe would feel betrayed in his dark side twisted thoughts at that point, and Hayden pulled the line off so well. It catapulted Anakin to the rage that kept Obi on the defensive most of the time, he was just insane.

Me and my friends always talk about how when she says "Obi-Wan" and Vader says, "I do not want to hear anymore about Obi-Wan", we would have shut up at that point. [face_mischief] Vader was downright scary when he said that.

8. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    After seeing ROTS eight times none of the lines I originally mentioned really bother me anymore. Well, none of them besides "NOOOOOO!!!" which is an embarassment to the movie.

9. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    I should have known the Jedi were plotting to take over.

Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil!

From my point of view the Jedi are evil!

Well, then you are lost!

I find this a very clumsy exchange when the dialogue theroughout Mustafar and after tese 4 lines were very good.

10. OBIWAN-JR

Oct 25, 2002
    >>>>I think Haydens most awesome line was either "Liar!" or "I hate you!"; as much as i love his good Anakin, Hayden just excells at the conflicted/evil side of him.

Yes indeedy, Frans.

And also when he says: "You turned her against me!" and: "You will not take her from me."

First class.

>>>>Or when he goes "We can rule the galaxy!" and he smiles while saying it; that was really insane and i loved it. Also when Padme says "I don't believe what i'm hearing...Obi Wan was right, you've changed" - that's the first and only time that she really seems disgusted by her husband.

Yep. That's the moment that Padme realises that everything he has done, it isn't all for her, afterall...

>>>>JR, I'm not touching that one with a ten-foot pole...

:D
    Rhond, I reeeeeeeaaaally wanna answer that one.....but as this is a family show, and as I have already waaaay overstepped the mark, I shan't mention Anakin's ten foot pole....

11. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    i thought the tpm lines were just bland, but aotc and rots dialogue was just awful! although ewan and ian had some ok lines, but it was still not very good and ians hamming it up kind of tarnished my love for palpatine

12. Lord_Spooner

Lord_Spooner Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2005
    Anakin: (to Padme) "Have faith my love".........ughhhhhhhhhh:oops:

13. poodookoo

poodookoo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    What? That line was awesome! Not to mention hilarious!

The second time I saw ROTS I enjoyed that part so much I was cackling along with Sidious :)

14. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    There was surprisingly little dialogue in the picture that I found to be "cringe-inducing." Each of the "Star Wars" films has managed to induce my "cringe-reflex" at some point, but I didn't find the dialogue in "Revenge of the Sith," while stilted and formal, to be overly problematic. That said, the colloquy is not perfect, and the following represents what I found to be most banal:

"No, it's only because I'm so in love with you." - While others have complained about the "Hold me as you did..." line, I actually find it to be less irritating than the one I have just cited, as the latter dialogue is at least consistent with the flowery interlocution of the glossy, saturated, Hollywood melodramas which serve as an artistic template for the romance portion of these films. The former piece of dialogue is, to me, simply clunky, and had it been excised from the film, or replaced by an alternate line, the heavily-maligned "hair-brush" scene would probably have been more palatable for most audiences.

Apart from that, there wasn't anything particularly bothersome, although passages of the (political) speechifying were perhaps a little dense. arabiansanchez mentioned some of Mace Windu's dialogue as being "cringe-inducing," and though I would tend to agree with the more pedestrian aspects of this character's lines, I do wonder to what extent the pronounced banality is a result of some routine acting from Samuel L. Jackson.

i thought the tpm lines were just bland, but aotc and rots dialogue was just awful!

I disagree. The dialogue in the previous two pictures, while not "great" writing by any means, is heavily stylized, the cadence, structure, and delivery of which is drawn from a very specific aesthetic seen in studio melodramas that span from the 1930s to 1950s. The fact that the ?Star Wars? pictures are conceived using a particular aesthetic that does not conform to ?realism,? gives them free reign to go off into whimsy and deliberate technique; in other words, the fantastical nature of the films helps to contextualize the clunky speech by placing it squarely within the saga?s overwrought pulp trappings. It?s no different for other films. Consider two current releases, Sally Potter?s ?Yes? and Miranda July?s ?Me and You and Everyone We Know.? Both films are heavily stylized, and employ affected dialogue in order to tell their respective stories; in ?Yes,? all of the characters speak in iambic pentameter, whereas ?Me and You and Everyone We Know? uses rich poetry and quasi-profound philosophical musings in its ?commonplace? colloquy. I can imagine quite a few audiences having difficulty with either one of, or both, of the aforementioned techniques, but those two films have properly established the ?unreal? aspects of their fictional artistic planes, and as such, have earned the right to explore these rather esoteric diction. Whether or not it is done well is a matter for debate, I suppose, but it?s important to remember that these films are not ?Prince of the City,? a movie in which such operatic dialogue would not be congruent to the story, acting, or milieu; remember the old adage, ?a film is not about what it is about, it is about how it is about it.?

although ewan and ian had some ok lines, but it was still not very good and ians hamming it up kind of tarnished my love for palpatine

The only scene in which I felt that McDiarmid went into grotesque exaggeration, was in Palpatine?s transformation scene; his ?No! No! No! You will die!? along with the kabuki-like delivery of the subsequent ?Power! Unlimited power!? was just atrocious, I felt, despite the fact that I have a theory which might explain, but not excuse, the first bit. True, the brilliance and insinuation of Palpatine disappears once McDiarmid make the transition to Darth Sidious, but I think the character?s malevolent glee makes a certain amount of sense once you consider the greater trajectory of the saga. If you observe the Emperor?s movements in ?Return of the Jedi,? you will notice that he is lacking in precision,

15. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    While I agree that it could have perhaps been reworded, I think it sets up the rest of the dialogue in the scene, the retort by Padme that love has made Anakin blind which is I believe meant to be humorous and at the same time ironic.

This was indeed Lucas' intention to make it a 40's style Satuday matinee serial wasn't it.

16. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    i think all people describing Sith dialogue as clunky or cringe inducing should be banned for a lack of originality. Christ almighty.

17. namnlos

namnlos Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    That "Have faith my love" line is delivered in a rather creepy way [face_worried]
    (But it's also interesting, as she dies still having faith in the real Anakin, which Luke inherits from her - just like Vader's statement that "love won't save you", when in fact it's the very thing that does save Anakin [face_thinking] )

18. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    Actually, not sure if this was mentioned in a previous post, but I thought Yoda's lines when he is rescued by Bail were rather weak and unexpected.

Something to the effect, "Into exile, I must go".

Yoda already knows that at this point? I would be just intent on escaping but he already knows that he needs to exile himself completely? I would have thought that that line should have been used on board Bail's ship.

Any line from Portman. I find her to be an absolutely horrid actress. Its disappointing because she's so beautiful.

I think Lucas' propensity for poor dialogue is clearly evident by what his employees say is his mantra, "Its good enough."

George.....it isn't.

19. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    how long was the Palps/Anakin opera scene.

20. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    it's hilarious, but its impossible for me to take seriously though. thats why I have a problem with it.

21. strider24

strider24 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2005
    Don't get me wrong, I think Ian Mcdiarmid is the best thing about ROTS, but doesn't anyone else see a slight Mr. Burns similarity in this film, especially when he walks. I know he is more hunched over in Jedi because of age, but the whole scene of Vader being brought to the medics, and their whole processsion with Sidious strolling along just like Burns, was really amusing to me, I kow this is of subject, but I didn't find another recent topic to post this particular observation. As far as lines go, the whole balcony scene at Pdme's apt with her brushing her hair is just awful. It makes me cringe just talking about it. There were literally cries of ughhhh and eeehhhh when she turned around with the hairbrush, and then the snickering ensued once the dialogue began.

22. SpaceFunk

SpaceFunk Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    "I saw your ship."

Why is this line even in the movie?

23. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    lucas should get some kind of award for brain washing people with these two lines , 'its in a style reminiscent of the 40's' and 'the ot was good because everyone saw it when they were kids', instead of just admitting his dialogue is crap and stop with the excuses. and i wish the fans would stop quoting his crap since they don't know even theyre doing it

24. So_Be_It_Jedi

So_Be_It_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    No, no, no

25. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Have faith my love reminded me of Gollum talking to himself. i think i laughed out loud on that one. i also hated the, "Is it PAAS-ible to learn this PAA-wer?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.