main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Criteria for Jedi fading upon death- Speculation into the death of Jimmy [SBS Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterAaron, Nov 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Hey everyone,

Well, I was talking with -Vergere- last night about this, and decided to post a topic about it.

Since you're here reading this thread you've obviously finished SbS and know that Anakin Solo dies. But he doesn't disappear. Does anyone else not find this odd? The last Jedi that we see die and fade away, is Daeshara'cor in Ruin. Why did she disappear and Anakin didn't? For that matter, why do Yoda, Ben, and Anakin all disappear, but Qui-Gon doesn't? Just what exactly is the criteria for a Jedi disappearing anyway?

I also think this is the main argument supporting those who feel that Anakin may not be, in the words of Billy Crystal from The Princess Bride, "All the way dead." He may be only "mostly dead". Nobody can deny that Anakin died the truest death a Jedi Knight can die. He perished sacrificing himself so that others may live. Then why on EARTH didn't he disappear? Is this just an inconsistency amongst the authors? Or is this part of something larger? Could Qui-Gon not disappearing have some sort of significance as well? WILL JIMMY BE BACK?!

Well, what do you think?

JMA

2. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Good question, JMA, I'd like to know myself if anyone has any light to shed on this! ;)

3. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    In reality, George Lucas said he will deal with this issue in EPII and EPIII, so I think he make a very strict rule that no Jedi in EU will disappear after death.

In the sense of EU, it is said that to fade after body deceased is a special Jedi technique that only certain Jedi mastered. And since Luke don't know how to do it, and found no lore about it, none of his student can pull this trick.

4. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    But, ForceAlly, if Luke couldn't teach any of his students how to fade away, how did Daeshara'cor manage to do that?

My personal opinion is that each one fades away when they have a specific purpose. For example, in the movies, we have seen Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin Skywalker all reappear as "ghosts" (or whatever). Since they haven't focused on Daeshara'cor's death since then, we don't know if she has appeared to anyone.

Perhaps she had some purpose in the Force to need to reappear and Anakin doesn't. He may have fulfilled his purpose already.

5. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    In TOTJ: Redemption Ulic Qel-Droma fades upon death even though he has no connection to the force. I think either Nomi or Vima Sunrider explained that only a jedi master could fade upon death. So, that would make sense that Anakin didn't fade upon death. Still, Daeshara'cor was a character of Mike Stackpole. Not that I have anything against him, it's just that he's been known to have a few incongruencies in his stories. For example, he stated in I,Jedi that Kyp was 18 during the JAT, which he was NOT because KJA stated he was 16 in plain terms. So now a whole bunch of people believe Stackpole is right just because he stayed true to the entire "Kyp is 18" thing in the DT duology by making him 32.
    So, the way I see it, Daeshara'cor shouldn't have vanished upon death according to the rules set during the Tales of the Jedi series. Lets just call that a fluke and get on with it. Ani ain't coming back! :_|

Jae Angel

6. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    Very interesting.

Could Daeshara'cor possibly speak to Jaina, and maybe even Alema Rar, as one who attempted to touch the Dark Side and realized it was wrong?

JMA

7. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Cor disappeared because an editor messed up.

wk

8. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    How can you be sure? Did an editor verify that he or she messed up in letting Daeshra'Cor vanish?

A goof-up would be one explanation though.

9. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I think to fade away one must love and understand the Force. It has nothing to do with how powerful someone is, how they lived, or how they died. The Force knows its own, and accepts them.

Anakin was strong in the Force, and died in perhaps the best possible of all ways. But he had no particular love or understanding of the Force. To him it was a tool to use like any other, like a blaster or a communicator. And so when he died, he did not fade. He was willing to die using it, but not to give himself or his life over to it completely.

10. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Another explanation I would accept.

11. Tchewbacca

Tchewbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2001
    Yeah I was wondering abut Qui-gon not fading also. Maybe it means it isn't totlay dead like they said from the Princess bride.

12. Kyptonite2

Kyptonite2 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2001
    Jedi disappear when they accept their death ahead of time. Qui-Gon had no idea that he was going to die before Maul finished him. Anakin didn't give himself to the force, nor was he at peace completely when he died, like Da...Cor was. This is a relatively simple concept.

13. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    But does that mean that they can't return in visions?

14. Kyptonite2

Kyptonite2 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2001
    Yes,

Jedi who don't disappear cannot return in visions.

15. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    COME BACK, ANAKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!! COME BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. AurraMouse

AurraMouse Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 1, 2001
    Actually, my friend and I have a theory on this. We say that it has something to do with the whole nature of Anakin Solo. There is/was something about him we dont know, which explains why he glowed with the Force, and 'faded back into it' upon death. Another part of the theory is that when Anakin started glowing, his body was already dead, but his spirit through the force kept him alive.
    The theory concludes with the idea that a jedi dissapears when their spirit has no place to pass to. Anakin's spirit has passed into some one else.
    ***Aurra

17. Holom

Holom Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2001
    I heard from someplace a long time ago that the the technique was made during the clone wars, so if a Jedi were to die, his body could not be cloned and used for evil and such. I am sure this isnt true, but its a cool concept.

18. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Interesting.

19. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    That would indeed be a most interesting solution...

JMA

20. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    -snff-... so if he does come back, he'll be evil? -snff-... poor Tahiri...

21. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    All interesting suppositions.
    I think the simplest answer is the offical one. Del Rey and the authors have had there hands tied with the whole Jedi fading thing by GL.
    Instead of the very non-NJOish alternitive of not having anyone die until GL works it all out, they have just kept his body where it is.
    The D..cor fade was possible something that slipped through...Mike Stackpole and co wrote the book before the ban etc.
    Any way it goes, Del Rey will make it all seem to fit when they find out what the deal with Jedi fading on death is. but in reality they don't even know yet.
    my 0.02 credits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.