Critical Discussions of Star Wars (with spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by Zepo, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zepo Jedi Knight

Some people have suggested a forum thread for critical discussions about ATOC and other Star Wars films.

This thread is the forum in which any poster can post critical (either positive or negative) views on any of the Star Wars films.

This thread is meant to invoke meaningful discussion between Star Wars fans on a variety of topics. We hope that you will all visit and put in your two cents worth, and not be offended by opposing opinions or ideas.
  2. Zepo Jedi Knight

I would love to start this discussion by asking everyone, what their favorite Star Wars film is, and WHY.

Please include the reasons you like a film more than another.

Here is my reply:

My favorite film is "STAR WARS". (I do not refer to it as "A New Hope" because that subtitle was only added in the 1979 theatrical re-release of the film, rather than originally a part of it).

The reasons why I care that film over any of the others is because the film combines all the so-called "Epic" elements in a single film and as such it can stand on its own completely.

Some of the epic elements that Star Wars includes are:

-Luke's development as a hero (from farmboy to hero of the rebellion)
    -Leia and Luke's love story (Luke decides to try to save a beautiful woman he has only seen a picture of)--farm boy win's princess's heart.
    -Han's journey as the anti-hero. (From criminal to saving Luke and helping the rebellion-see he's not all about money).
    -The threat to the entire universe. The deathstar can blow up whole panets.
    -The student surpassing the master (Obi-Wan gives his life, so Luke can beat Vader in the end).
    -The triumph of good over evil.
    -The concept of the force and the idea that there is a power of good (and bad) regarless of your own religious or mystical beliefs.

...and more.

Anyone else have any opinions? :)
  3. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I told you not to do this. And once again, Zepo, you've gone over my helmet.

This thread will be locked. Please post your reactions to AOTC, critical or otherwise, in the appropriate thread already in progress.

Critical discussions of the original trilogy and TPM can go here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.