main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Critical flaw in AOTC?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Stalker, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Stalker

Darth_Stalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2002
    After getting the DVD and watching the movie without babling kids, people who forgot to turn off cell phones and so forth. I noticed something odd in AOTC that the Jedi's should have remembered from TPM...

Remeber when those lovely gungans were surrounded by battle droids on Naboo? The contrl ship gets destroyed and suddenly all the droids go limp and the battle ends.

Now let's suppose that our wise little master Yoda had remembered this and sent the Acclamators to destroy the half-exposed control cores. Wouldn't this have made all the droids go limp and leave about 30 jedis to gang up on Dooku and Jango?

If I missed some logical explanation along the way, please educate me.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    no way, we can't have an SW thread in our forum - its just not right :p

Its a good point you raise though !!!

I think the real answer is in the cinematics - it was nice in TPM to see the space sequence, and anakin destroying the droid control ship.

Similarly, the arena sequence in ATOC was amazing, and was also important as it allowed conversations between Mace and Dooku, and also allowed the subsquent duels between Obi, Anakin and Dooku.

(the "feeling-out" sequence between Anakin and Dooku is IMO of the best SW sequences).

Ok, how about an SW explaination !!!

Well, if you remember TPM, the Battle of Naboo occured after an invasion of 1000s of battle droids. As it was an invasion, perhaps they couldn't land the control ship due to its sheer mass. It would be easy and safer to control them from space.

In ATOC the jedi and stormies land on the planet where the battle droids are all ready established (its like their home planet if you will) so they are controlled on the ground.

I *think* there was a cut sequence with two jedi battling into a ground controller unit and destroying it.

Furthermore, I think Dooku and his buddies were trying to run a hush-hush operation - it would have looked kinda obvious that something dodgy was going on if there were huge ships orbiting the planet. (obi wan might have noticed them on the way in and avoided capture).

just my thoughts

malkie

3. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    they were controlled on the ground from the control cores which were also on the ground. You are correct about the cut seen. I believe that it was Ki Adi Mundi and Kit Fisto that were suposedly trying to make it to the control core but what about all the star destroyer type ships that could have easily opened fire on them and destroyed them? They had the forces available. For that matter, lets say that all of them were being controlled from the droid factory next to the arena, they could have attacked it also. The star destroyers weren't attacking ANYTHING. The more I watch it the more frustrating I find it.

4. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    Because of what happened at Naboo, the trade Federation had the Geonosions upgrade the battle droids so that they didn't need a control ship

5. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Kam is right. The Trade Federation learned their lesson in TPM.

6. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    that was the whole reason they were on Geonois. you notice they had a personallity in the battle arena, they backed away from the Ackley. TPM droids wouldn't have done this. they charged right into the gungans hurling the balls

7. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    hmmm...and where did you guys learn of this? Also, it still leaves me to wonder why the star destroyers never fired a shot at anything.

8. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    the star destroyer are meant for bombarding the ground. yoda isn't the kind to use bombard

9. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I don't know exactly where I read it. But you can probably get it from starwars.com somewhere. Check out the info on the Battledroids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.