main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Critical reception

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by FryingpoorGreedo, Jan 2, 2013.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    LOL [face_laugh]

Good point-I mean, Isn't that crazy?! GL will end up being bashed either way, whether directly or indirectly!! If he's involved, it's HIS fault if it's bad. If he's NOT involved, he's bashed passively by saying it's "great cos he didn't do it!"

o_O

Hilarious. GL just can't win...

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I won't take any stock in what the critics say. They judge movies differently from me. What matters is your own opinion. I always find that I always like things that the critics hate. If its entertaining and I had fun I like it. There needs to be a blend of comedy, adventure, good relatable, believable characters and relationships etc.

Echo-07 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  3. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    All of the prequels were "fresh" on RottenTomatoes, until 3D TPM ruined that...

FryingpoorGreedo likes this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I really think that's how it's going to play out. If people love/hate it, George Lucas will get the credit/blame for it. The writer & director really have thankless jobs.

FryingpoorGreedo likes this.
  5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think your right in your assessment. What's really funny is that no one in America is immune to Star Wars. You're either a fan or you have a fan in your family. Anyway, the media, be it news or entertainment isn't about journalism anymore. It hasn't been for a long time. It's about fantastic propaganda for ratings and forming public opinion. They're NOT about truth or reality.

I don't know how this movie was rated or criticized, but I just watched Prometheus last Friday and had the damndest time trying to stay awake. Thought it was utter gharbage. And I'm a fan of Scott and the writer Damon Lindeloff (HUGE LOST fan.)

6. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    That movie was an epic fail, mostly because it had so much potential and ended up so mediocre

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Wait- history has been kind to ESB, but it was NOT well received by critics when it was first released, it opened to very mixed reviews. Interesting that people on this site don't tend to be aware of this (or at least don't acknowledge it).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/movies/review97/empirestrikesbackmartin.htm

kainee likes this.
  8. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    I was meaning now, I was aware it wasn't well received at the time

9. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Wow what an ignorant, elitist review. As shortsighted as any critical piece on TPM, in print or online.

Lee_ likes this.
  10. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Wow what an ignorant, elitist review. As shortsighted as any critical piece on TPM, in print or online.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I thought that too.

I think the critics who wrote those kind of reviews in 1980 have egg on their face now though; history looks on ESB as a truly great film.

That is true of a lot of great artistic works, the critics were too shortsighted to appreciate breakthrough, innovative greatness, and panned them initially. Led Zeppelin's early albums got panned by critics; those critics look like morons now, with Zep's music being hugely influential to this day, especially the early albums that got panned.

kainee likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I never read critics' reviews of films. If I want to determine ahead of time what I might like, I talk to people I know who generally like the same films I do or who at least have an idea of the types of films that I like, rather than reading reviews by strangers who do not know my taste.

I don't know how critics will review this one but if anything I think people are harsher with Star Wars movies.

eht13, kainee, Echo-07 and 3 others like this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree with that....But I'd think, even further, GL will STILL get blamed somehow, even if he's NOT involved, saying "it was good BECAUSE he didn't do it." That is maybe passive bashing, but bashing nonetheless.

And if he's involved in even a tiny way (like a creative consultant ;) ), he will get ALL the blame, and the people who are actually responsible for what they didn't like about Ep. VII will be overlooked, and get off scot-free.

14. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    This thread is actually more simple than you think :

If the movie is good ( regardless of TPM or AOTC hate for George Lucas whatever ) it will get a good reception & redemption ,

If the movie is not that good then look out it will be thrashed from all corners - the hate will go crazy ,

15. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    She referred to Billy Dee Williams as the "one black". [face_hypnotized]

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, times have changed since 1980. I think she would get some grief for that these days. She sounds like a real witch.

17. Spam Bot

Spam Bot Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 16, 2012
    Difficult to see, the future is....

kainee likes this.
  18. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    ...for one day you may yet again bring glory to the republic.

kainee likes this.
  19. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    What is a critic, other than a lard ass, that get's paid to sit in a cinema all day, who eventually lose sight of their job and say any old **** to get attention.

20. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    language?

21. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm worried: Episode VII is presently at 0% on Rotten Tomatoes!!!

;)

22. Abernati

Abernati Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2013
    at leas ti's not -60%

23. Fettcrom

Fettcrom Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2004
    Amen

24. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    [​IMG][/quote]

25. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Though I agree with this, I would also say that even if the film is "good," by either industry standards, or by the rating/box office success from general public (non-fans), there will still be much bashing from hardcore fans - JUST like what happened when TPM first came out - due to the ridiculously high expectations that I'm sure will be placed on episode VII-even more so than TPM. And on top of that, the film will undergo even more scrutiny due to the fact that GL will not be involved in the same ways as before, so there's that side of it too which will affect the level of expectations....

I for one am just looking forward to seeing new SW movies! As far as how good it is, I've come to the thought that, if they give the same continuity attention to this new trilogy as they do with The Clone Wars tv series, then it will be great, and will fit in well with the saga. So if TCW series is anything to go by, then I am excited!