main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Critical reception

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by FryingpoorGreedo, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    It will probably get good reviews from some, bad reviews from others, and the RLM will come and ruin it for everyone.

2. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    [face_laugh] [face_shame_on_you]

3. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I think it will be a mixed bag.Because even if it looks like The OT there's still gonna be tons of CGI,they are not going back to models and full practical effects,so that will always turn some people off.Then there's peoples hatred for just about everything SW no matter what,so there never gonna be please.But I do think having Luke Skywalker in there {hopefully} might get some to lighten up and if it turns out to be a great movie then all the haters will become lovers again and lets be honest there not real SW to begin with anyway,so it's gonna be a mixed bag no matter what.

4. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    I've gotta admit that I'm a little curious as to what Roger Ebert will have to say about the movies. He's one movie critic I do like to read even if I end up disagreeing with him because his tone always allows for disagreement and he's always clear that it's only his opinion that he's offering up, unlike some other critics who then go on to extrapolate that just because their job title is "Movie Critic" that means they're the arbitrators of all that is good and true.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes. Ebert is the only one I ever actually read at all-he seems to be the one critic that understands the nature and expectation of a "summer popcorn flick..." The other critics don't get that. Especially the ones that write for Entertainment Weekly-those writers all expect EVERY movie to be the groundbreaking cinematography and writing, thought-provoking and controversial nature and overall caliber of a movie like Brokeback Mountain, or Schindler's List or something. ..EVERY action/sci fi/fantasy movie gets a "C+" or less grade from them. Even the ones (like SW) that end up being by far the highest grossing movies that year...:rolleyes:

6. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    I'll take a friends recommendation over a critic's any day.

7. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. There will always be the CG haters out there-and you can be SURE they're not just gonna make this whole new trilogy with a bunch of models and puppets...

(I'm putting myself out on a limb here-forgive me:) ) I have always been annoyed with people that complain about CG-not BAD CG, just the fact that it's used. (like my dad...;)) I mean, what? Do they expect that all movies in history will have to lock themselves in to an old, dated method of special effects, and forego the use of advanced digital technology on principle, JUST because they grew up with muppets and stop motion animation!? Now I love puppet Yoda and all that...but we have the technology-it's not worse looking, it's better! So let's use it! CG has also made some great advancements in realism and quality over the last few years, anyways-movies like The Avengers and The Hobbit looked better than anyone could've imagined 20 years ago...even 10 years ago!!!! That's a good thing. But some people will never accept anything but matte-boxed model shots, claymation and puppets, and will continue to bash the ST for going against their outdated, obsolete preferences for moviemaking and SFX. :rolleyes:

okay, sorry-I'm off my soapbox! :p

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly, 3D re-releases of any of the movies will only serve to bring down the RT rating. It's not as if a 3D rerelease of anything is going to make it's RT score go up, y'know? Just a chance for anyone who had X-problem with a film beforehand gets a chance to trot it out.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Siskel and Ebert used to review opposite each other when Siskel was alive, just to provoke thought.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    :D:D:D:):):)[face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][:D][:D][:D][face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized]:*:*:*

11. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    pick one.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Define what the hell "pick one" ever even means, guys!!!!!

13. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    like this

:D:D:D
    or
    :)

14. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I think it'll be a mixed bag of reviews. No matter how good or bad it turns out to be there will always be bashers out who will ***** and moan over every little thing that they can. When Episode VII, and later Episodes VIII and IX, comes out all I'm really hoping for in the end is to be entertained for roughly 2.5 hours. Anything else is just the icing on the cake.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes...I liked that. And no other movie critics did it that way!

I miss Mr. Siskel....[face_sigh]

16. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Of course they will, if it sucks they will pick apart the flaws in the movie in a three hour special, simply because it gets views and sells their products. If it's a great movie though, RLM will put up a three hour review praising it and bash the PT and George Lucas, and explain how he's a terrible person. All of this of course will be laced with crude humor.

Critical reception is key, Disney clearly wants this to be a good movie. Every move they've made has indicated as such, like Arndt writing the screenplay, for example. Their recent movies give me high hopes, no other company could handle this better. The better the reception, the higher the profits. That's simple economics. A better word of mouth spreads more attention, and especially if it's from critics who viewed the film in a special screening before the movie came out to theaters.

17. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. Everything I've read so far "assures" me that Disney and the teams that will be putting this together are not interested in just a quick, thrown together cash grab. They seem to understand what's at stake here...the magnitude of this project. They have mentioned several times about how important it is to them that they want to make this good! I mean there were even directors/writers who turned it down, simply cos they are nervous to do something so huge! IIRC, The same things were said about the attention given to The Avengers, and look how well that turned out! From what I've read so far, especially from Kathleen Kennedy-who's practically in charge of how this movie is produced-It just...feels like they DO realize what this means to SOOOO many people-and they're taking heed to that. That makes me excited!

kainee likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And at least 20 misogynistic, homophobic or racist stereotypes.