main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Critics' reviews for Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Palpadious, Dec 12, 2017.

1. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

That goes for the other way around too. Fans or even regular folk in general put too much emphasis on their personal feelings with the film, regardless.

2. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

To be honest, Europeans have different standards and they have more umm..."Unique" movies.

Calling TLJ a masterpiece already sets some high expectation that isn't needed.

3. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Thanks for the info!

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  4. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    It's not like some people have gone as far as claiming that a Star Wars film they didn't like "raped their childhood"...

5. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    Well internet is a place of hyperboles where something can be the second coming of christ... or it could be the worst thing ever since the downfall of the Roman Empire

6. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    :p

Actually I wouldn't be too surprised if GL's stepping away may have been the start of the issues wit Straggs, since he started in 2015 and GL stepped away around that time. Iger was the one that got him to sign over the rights and make the deal since both had been friends for a long time and previously Iger was the COO and was still running the post until he felt that Staggs could take it over. However he was only there for one year before they split, so with regard to how the movies recently have been shaped (including Marvels) I have a feeling that a lot of issues were coming out of what this guy wanted. Possibly to make the Star Wars line more geared towards boys over a all access family thing. I know I heard some rumblings about some debates going on in the upper management of LF and with the COO a while back but that seems to have vanished since around the time that Straggs left.

7. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    I think what is fair that everyone, including the critics, have their own view. Its unfair to assume that because someone liked it or not that they are being bias, and not being honest in their own right. And that includes the critics.

If all it took was some Disney wining and dining, then how do any Disney movies get poor reviews?

8. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    A good review from the Los Angeles Times, who crossed swords with Disney a short while ago:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-star-wars-last-jedi-review-20171212-story.html

And a mostly positive review from Richard Brody of The New Yorker, who savaged the previous two Disney Star Wars films. His one one caveat is that Johnson should have been allowed cut loose completely and not tethered to some of the formulaic requirements of the series:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/star-wars-the-last-jedi-reviewed

Imagine the gnashing of teeth and caterwauling had Johnson been given complete freedom.

9. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015
    Well, just came out from the movie and.... wow! Thats a lot to digest. It really did many things outside the SW norm, like non-force flashbacks and really inventive visuals in some sections.

The biggest accomplishment in my opinion is that I now have no freaking clue how ep 9 is going to go :eek: I mean, people were worried that JJ will rehash ep 9, but after seeing 8, that's kind of impossible haha.

Anyway, I definetly need to see it a couple of times before I rate it among the other SW movies. Initial reaction: wow!

10. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    At the moment is 94% in rotten tomatoes and 86 in Metacritic

11. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    At the moment, RT 95%!

Trikuza23 likes this.
  12. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    well, as of right now TLJ is on a roll at RT. 40 straight fresh reviews has pull it up from a low 93 (92.6 rounded up) to a 95.

13. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I guess we can change some of the lyrics of the "12 Days of Christmas" to represent the current RT score.

Instead of "11 pipers piping", we can use, "11 crappy critics". [face_clown]

14. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    That is rather high. If I am not mistaken if this holds this will be the highest rated SW movie upon its initial release.

15. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    I really never thought it would beat TFA's score. It's now looking pretty certain that it will, or that it will at least match it. There aren't that many reviews left (probably about another 100) and what with the sample size of reviews now it's becoming harder and harder to swing that score around.

16. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    This is an odd situation with very favorable reviews by critics (94-95% on RT) compared to the more polarized reactions by the fans in the fan reaction thread.

Are we in the upside down from Stranger Things when the critics may like a Star Wars film more than some long time fans?

17. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    Same, i didnt think it would beat TFA score either. i thought it would drop down a little more to 90-91 percent. Awesome to see it holding at 95, though!

18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Fan reaction is a bit more mixed at this point than I expected based on my viewing. I think, however, we might see more positive reactions as the film opens for general release, and some folks come to terms with the more challenging (for some fans) bits of the movie.

19. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I think in a lot of cases the Critics are looking at this from a Film makers perspective rather then a serial as it should be looked at. Just as people were not looking at Nolan's batman films as a super hero comics story, they were seeing it as a delving into the mind of a man that was full of depression that went on a vigilante rampage in a way. I'm pretty sure that we'll see a change of pace later on. Look at the numbers in regard to the reviews regarding the PT and OT.

Star Wars is at the top with 79%
    Revenge of the Sith is at 68%
    Empire Strikes back
    The phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Return of the Jedi

I'm pretty sure The force Awakens will probably sit some where between Empire and Revenge or Phantom and Empire, while the Last Jedi will either go between Revenge and Empire or Empire and Phantom. I can't see it topping Star Wars, it might end up in the top 5 but that depends on how views change over time.

Shadao likes this.
  20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It will be the best rated movie!

Why?
    *sees there is a new Star Wars movie and it is totally cool at the moment to see a Star Wars movie from the Looper guy*
    *sees the movie with a lot of boom, comic and blasts*
    *during the boring Canto What sequence thinks about where to get a new quick exciting blunt kick afterwards*
    *goes out from the movie and gives a rating just to give a rating to have seen something cool to link this rating to facebook, instagram linkedin and whatever*
    *starts tinder, makes a date and calls uber*
    *makes a selfie and avoids thinking too much*
    *steps out of the uber taxi and looks to facebook friends accounts to give some likes and to see if there is a party for him to join after the date*
    *does not remember what he saw 4 hours before but it was for sure mega cool*

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  21. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    RT score currently at 93% 8.2/10

The ratio of reviews is 209/15

22. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Yeah, im not buying it for a second, i will be very interested in mark kermodes review when it lands...

23. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002

Not sure if I'm missing some context, but as is this seems incredibly condescending and rude.

catmom46 likes this.
  24. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I saw some guy say that the scene where Admiral Hondo or whatever her name was, the one with purple hair, made a spaceship go BOOM was the best scene in any Star Wars movie. I remember when the prequels were accused of being nothing but mindless explosions and that those who liked them only liked them because of the lighsabers. But I guess CGI effects with no substance are cool now. Huh.

25. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002

I can't tell if you actually dislike this movie are just looking for reasons to make jabs at people who disliked the prequels.