main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Critics' reviews for Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Palpadious, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I dislike it and am also making observations about hypocrisy and inconsistencies in others' arguments.

2. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002

So, have the people you've seen praise TLJ actually made arguments against the prequels for the same reasons they enjoyed TLJ or are you generalizing the criticisms made against the prequels? The post I initially quoted, and the other posts of your's I've happened to run across, are generalizing which completely destroys any point you're trying to make. You're assuming that people who disagree with you on TLJ disagree with you uniformly, which is not a safe assumption, and you're attributing strawman arguments against the prequels to this people.

Even if you found a person who said they didn't like the prequels because of X but they do like TLJ which has X, that doesn't really mean any hypocrisy or contradiction is going on. Films are often greater than the sum of their parts. Just because someone disliked, for example, TPM for reason Y doesn't mean he has to dislike TLJ for that same reason. Perhaps Y was done better in TLJ; perhaps the rest of TLJ was good enough to overcome any negatives from Y while TPM was not. Opinions are very rarely formed in a fashion where people list elements of a movie and compare it to what is "good" or "bad". In my experience, people often form an overall opinion first and only then go back and analyze different pieces to justify their opinion.

Finally, in the end, even if you did have some point and there was some inherent and specific hypocrisy between people who liked TLJ and disliked the prequels, your posts, at least the ones that I've seen, have come across as petty retaliation against people who have criticized the prequels. You got yours when the prequel hating bandwagon was at full speed and now its time for you to return the favor now there's a Star Wars movie you're not a fan of. Its not a good look.

3. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016
    I think what we are really seeing is what corporations powerful networks colossal capitalist enterprises have been doing since the industrial revolution which is stamps it's influence in the media..Talk about rockefeller,JP morgan,Thomas edison. Disney over the last 20 years has has adopted the same philosophy of controlling the opinion either they buy you out or pay to influence the narrative to their agenda.

https://www.filmfad.com/is-disney-paying-off-movie-critics-for-good-reviews/

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLN...-stop-stop-disney-paying-critics-controversy/

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/06/media/disney-la-times-boycott/index.html

4. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015

lol. really? So what your saying is you think TLJ is not good? And to make you rationalize how your opinion could be so different from others is that clearly there must be some conspiracy behind it.

My take? Most of the reviewers are looking at the movie objectively where as on these forum we are dealing with A. Trolls B. People who wanted it to be one way, and it is not that way C. Some who genuinely did not like it.

1 more hour for me. Then I can join in the discussion. Who knows, maybe I wont like it. I have no presumptions about how I think the story will go.

5. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    We begin with the conspiracies of X buying reviews

6. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    As someone who doesn't like either of the films in the sequel trilogy so far, I agree with the bolded sentiment. There are a ton of narrative and structural flaws that you can point out if you actually take the time to analyze what's on screen without having to resort to InfoWars-level conspiracy craft that tackles inferred nonsense that has nothing to do with the content itself.

7. Ellythrion

Ellythrion Jedi Knight

Jul 3, 2013
    I'm a freelance Film & Theatre Critic in the UK who regularly covers releases with Disney, and my reviews go live across 14 different regional newspapers online. Being freelance and in charge of my own content, my reviews are allowed to be a little more in-depth and detailed than a lot of other papers in particular, so I'd be very curious to see what you all think of my appraisal of the film (which I gave 4 stars):

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/15774078.STAR_WARS__THE_LAST_JEDI___Film_Review/

Dame sans merci likes this.
  8. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    I don't think professional critics in the Internet era have any value.

People are clinging to a bygone era.

Sleepy76, dan1210 and jimtalkbox like this.
  9. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Well golly gee--you know, if I didn't already know that all of the repetitive and hyperbolic negativity swirling around here lately is merely the side effect of honest and genuine discussion, I'd say that the source of your endless tantrum-like "commentary" on Episode VIII is some immature notion of revenge. Because you think the mass excoriation of the prequels was unfair.

10. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Here comes the armchair psychologist. On another note, have you even seen the movie. I haven't seen much "commentary" from you on the actual movie, just complaining about others' complaining. Or are you just another one of those who have convinced themselves into liking it before even seeing it. Very immature.

11. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015

well in this case they were right. At least to me the movie was a homerun.

Strongbow and rorow1 like this.
  12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Proves yet again critics are worthless if you yourself don’t like something.

13. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    What's interesting is that the critics' tomatometer score 93% while the audience score is only 62%. Feels like there is a disconnect between critics and the audiences this time.

14. Contreras1991

Apr 18, 2017
    Like I said critics reviews the movies as they are not as i want them to be, that's the difference between a critic and a user review

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So now we have TLJ RT critics score on 93% and the audience score sinking to 56% - That actually places TLJ under TPM and AOTC with it's audience score at RT! :eek:

Metacritic seems to show a similar scenario with the Metascore coming out at 86 while the user score comes out at 5.0.

Whichever way we cut it TLJ is being received very badly with it's audience...

Sleepy76 and gezvader28 like this.
  16. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    IMDB has a user score of 7.9 (vs. TFA at 8.1). Cinemascore has it at “A”. Fandango has 4/5. It’s not clear to me that metacritic and RT haven’t just become the place where people know to pile on.

17. Contreras1991

Apr 18, 2017
    ok i understand that there are people that doesnt like the movie but this is too suspicious ( i checked that by myself)

[​IMG]

Darth_Accipiter and Eternal_Jedi like this.
  18. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Vanity Fair - Just How Seriously Should We Take This Star Wars: The Last Jedi Backlash?

I do find it interesting -- and somewhat suspicious -- that TLJ's audience rating is getting hammered on Rotten Tomatoes (around 56%) and Metacritic (4.9), but it's been hovering around 8 on IMDB user ratings (currently 7.9) and 80% with Google Users all weekend. And we've all seen references to an "A" audience rating from CinemaScore exit interviews.

The angry comments inevitably filter to the top on Facebook and Twitter, but those are poor measures of general satisfaction, as those who are feeling angry and "betrayed" are always the most vocal and persistent in making sure that their opinions are heard.

There is no doubt that there are a lot of disappointed and angry fans right now, and of course many of the negative ratings are genuine. But this would hardly be the first time that disgruntled fans try to tank the rating of a movie, video game, etc. The sizable gap between the RT and Metacritic ratings and those on IMDB and Google suggest to me that the former are more susceptible to bots or other techniques for spamming negative ratings.

It's no more of an insane conspiracy theory than the idea that Disney paid off all of the critics.

Sleepy76 and Contreras1991 like this.
  19. Contreras1991

Apr 18, 2017
    I dont know what these people wins doing this

20. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017

I don't think there's any conspiracy.
    It's just that people that didn't like the movie... are very vocal this time.
    Because somehow they felt personally touched.
    I'm not talking about headcanon, but the way people see/feel SW.
    But when you take the risks they've took, I think you have to accept things - at least partially - may not go how you hoped for.

ezekiel22x and Darth Smurf like this.
  21. Contreras1991

Apr 18, 2017
    Not conspiracy, but people that have a lot of time in their hands xD

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  22. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
  23. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    Critic's are being paid,conspiracy theorist are the new supermodel/Sports star/movie star,Bots are running amok,nothing is true and every thing is fake,Myth's are fact and History is fiction,UFO are the new god and it's bible is Ancient Astronauts on the History channel,People hear some one say one thing but believe another and say it was edited/twisted/misquoted......Life is in fact Death and the Holy Grail is but a cup made out of dirt.This is the sad truth of our times,no true Hero's,no black and white,all is grey and we must decide what to believe.

I here by declare myself the God-Empire of Earth and once in Future Son of the Sun.

24. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Really, the amount of backlash on youtube and social media coupled with the metacritic and rotten tomatoes score is more than enough to tell you theres a lot, a hell of a lot of fans who hate this movie. Theres nothing fishy about it, some people are deeply offended by it, i saw it coming from a mile away. This is going to get a lot worse.

25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    dan1210 likes this.