main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Critics' reviews for Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Palpadious, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Just watching Jeremy jahns review of the film and he was abit mixed on it but said he really had to watch it again to process it.

But he said something that i always thought would be an issue and that that if you are a long time star wars fanboy then you are more likely to look at the film and be more critical towards things that may be considered bold additions to the star wars lore

[​IMG]

2. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    I can only speak for myself, but I always watch these films as films first, and Star Wars films second. Rogue One was a very decent film even if it wasn't very Star Wars-y. The reviews seem to indicate it's an objectively good film and that really should over-ride our petty continuity/mythology concerns IMO. It certainly didn't bother us when the lead villain was retconned into the hero's father and the love interest was retconned into his sister. As I said on another thread, people have been crying out for an OT-level movie and a movie with crazy twists that change what you thought you knew.... that's what the OT does all the time. This is to be encouraged!

KembaSkywalker and Trikuza23 like this.
  3. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Of. Course they are opinions, not fact, but some like to believe they are intentionally lying to us (unless they hated it, which of course makes it fact)

Trikuza23 likes this.
  4. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Kristian Harloff (Collider) is a huge SW fan and he said that he really didn't like it very much after the 1st viewing.
    His opinion of the movie went way up after the 2nd viewing.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Because it's always fun to see what other people are saying and I've been doing this on here since Attack of the Clones was released in 2002?

6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Rotten Tomatoes has its consensus up:

"Star Wars: The Last Jedi honors the saga's rich legacy while adding some surprising twists -- and delivering all the emotion-rich action fans could hope for."

7. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015

I think a lot of hardcore fans' first impressions will be like this. Think about it: You spend 2 years theorizing and building all these scenarios in your head, that when the time finally comes, everything falls apart. After TFA, I left the theater overwhelmed and that affected my first impressions, but after all the anxiety has gone away, you can watch and enjoy the movie as it is.

8. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    Is it fun for u though? Cause u seem utterly depressed :(

Trikuza23 likes this.
  9. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    On par with The Dark Knight...

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

That's quick... They could almost have had it written months ago... [face_laugh]

MJ-100 likes this.
  11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Don't know what makes you think that? [face_dunno]

12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Best sense Empire.. LOL Ughh. Not again..:oops:

13. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

These reviews are amazing! Especially the ones that also point out the things they didn't like about TFA.

Xael, Trikuza23 and B99 like this.
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    "Best sense Empire.". LOL Ughh. Not again..:oops:

15. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Harloff said after first watch he wanted to give the movie 7.5/10

16. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    He didn't say that he didn't like it after only the first viewing, simply that he liked it more after the second. He said he would have probably given it an 7.5-8/10 after only the first watch and settled on 9/10 after the second.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I'm glad you'll give it a chance, but it's not cool to assert people have lost their critical faculties because you disagree with them. You just don't like the same things.

18. MJ-100

MJ-100 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    That is very true. I made my peace with Jedi!Finn and was rooting for Rey Random (even if I really wanted her parents to be sith - close enough) but I never expected them to put so much Reylo and it's really killing my anticipation. But like you said, we have to take a step back and try to enjoy what they gave us and let go of what we wanted to see.

Xael likes this.
  19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Swiss TV rating was similar

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Some of the reviews are very good. Unless things change at minimum this movie could hit $1.5 billion worldwide and will definitely become the number movie both domestically and worldwide for 2017.

21. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    That han 'yahoo' gif gets me everytime

22. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015

good sign. That was ESB for me. 1st time I watched it I was let down. It did not go how I wanted. By 2nd or 3rd viewing that completely changed.

Xael likes this.
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Even though I don't care what reviews think.. I'm happy that it's getting good ratings..

OK, i'm headed off spoiler forum till early Fri Morn(except TLJ Dec 15th thread). See ya'll in the afterlife..

24. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    And of course, a number of the reviews still can't resist inserting needless digs at the prequels.

The Phantom Menace was 18 years ago. Please get over it already, FFS.

25. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    It's understandable, really. So many ruined childhoods.