Critiquing of the Crystal Skull - What Went Right?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Jango10, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THX_1138biggs Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I've seen the picture 8 times and I love and enjoy every Second of it, yes, every second of it! I'm dying to see it again, and my next time might be my last time...sigh..

I just think you got to let go, let the movie take care of your imagination and you will definitely go along for a spectacular ride with fantastic charaters that you cannot find anywhere else.

Everything from the opening sequence, the campus chase, the creepy cemetary scene, the funny banter, Mutt Williams and Irina Spalko, and then to the intense climax, speaks fun and just pure awesomeness. :)
  2. starwarsobesses Jedi Knight

star 1
    indiana despite his still did great
    Marion' return
    Shia as Mutt

I enjoyed everything about this film.
  3. Spaceman_Spiff Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked the scene where Indy met Brendan Fraser's character from The Mummy series of movies. It was a nice little moment of acknowledgement about how much the latter owes to the former. It was cool how Rick O'Connell burst onto the scene and got punched out by Spalko. It was almost a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment.

Another thing I really liked is how they managed to get roles for every single character, main or otherwise, on the American version of The Office. They all performed very well, especially Creed. I really believed his agony when he was eaten by the ants.

*Watch Corner Gas on Superstation WGN.*
  4. GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Master

star 4
    The movie was spectacular. I loved the scene in the warehouse, especially when we see the Ark and John Williams let's the score transit for a few seconds to play the Ark theme. It was just like that scene in The Phantom Menace when we see Yoda and Obi-Wan talking at the end and he mentions how clouded Anakin's future is and we hear a very slight Imperial March. He still used the whip and the entire college campus chase scene was classic. The Jungle chase is up to par with the chase in Raiders when he captures the Ark. My favorite though was the ants.
  5. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    The final scene, which was a classic Indy moment, when Indy takes the hat from Mutt right when he's about to put it on.
  6. Solo_Watto Jedi Padawan

It seems to be something of a contentious issue, but I loved the nuclear test town scene. I?ve only seen the film once but this was the one scene that stayed with me afterwards.
  7. Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Knight

star 3
    That was the exact same look that Henry Sr. gave Indy during the motorcycle chase in Last Crusade. That was a great callback.
  8. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    Holy cow, I never thought of that. But now that you said it, it makes perfect since.
  9. GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Master

star 4
    After watching the film three or four times I have to say that I still stick with my opinion that I loved Crystal Skull. I don't know why but I love the beginning when Indy is about to crash into the other Russian car with Mac and all Mac can do is yell "You Don't Know Him" repeatedly. I love it. The brawl with the Greasers and the Jocks was classic. Greasers one, Jocks zero. A lot of people at my job were talking about this movie because I work at Walmart and it was in storage a couple of weeks before the release and they all mostly complained. I asked them why and they said because it was so over the top and that it was not an Indy film. I told them that if Harrison Ford was not in it then you could say it was not an Indy film and if they think that Crystal over the top than they most have hated Temple of Doom or other things that happened in the originals that were flat out over the top. Anyways I still say that this film was awesome and that if they do another one I hope that it turns out just as well.
  10. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

they all mostly complained. I asked them why and they said because it was so over the top and that it was not an Indy film.

wow, what reality are your co-workers living in? It's EXACTLY an Indy film. It couldn't have been MORE Indy.

I love all this "it was too over the top" stuff people are coming up with on this one.
    When Han Solo and Luke are being fired on by numerous stormtroopers, did they actually think THAT was realistic when they never got hit? Did kids walk out of SW saying, wow, that was so over the top and unrealistic. No, because it was fun and entertaining.

I don't go to movies for MORE reality I want LESS reality, I'm going for a heightened experience, an adventure to take me away from everyday life. Especially with an Indy film.

For me, that's exactly why Crystal Skull worked. It captured the old film's spirit perfectly. The problem is, a lot of people have developed a rather severe case of amnesia about what those old films were all about.

11. abbienormal Jedi Padawan

I found a couple of new amateur reviews I thought were interesting. One of them was clearly a fan of the series. The other one, more negative. Here.
  12. GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Master

star 4
    A lot of people complained about it being over-the-top and I told them did you not remember Temple of Doom in it's entirety? Do you not remember Indiana and his father driving a car into a tunnel as an airplane on fire goes past them? There's just so much to say but the truth is we could not have asked for more. This was the fourth Indiana Jones film and I love it. Harrison was still Indiana and that means a lot to me. Did anyone see Terminator 3 and even though it was Arnold feel that it wasn't the same Terminator we saw in the others. Granted the Terminators have their differences but he really was the the Terminator to me in the nineties.
  13. QuiGonJade Jedi Master

star 4
    Mostly wanted to bump this, "What went right" should be on page 1 if "what went wrong" is, IMO.

The transition to the 50's. I personally liked the fact that you got 3 old 50's rock songs. (Of course, Indy probably hates rock'n'roll, but oh well.)

The age issue was handled about right. He looks a lot older as a professor, but looks remarkably still like classic Indiana Jones when he's on the adventure. Fewer stunts (I'm pretty sure), in order to be realistic, but that doesn't make it less of an adventure.

Mutt mostly worked for me. I loved the "don't call me son" line, I don't know about anyone else.

The return of Marion also worked for me. She doesn't seem 27 years older any more than Indy does, and it took me back to that feeling of seeing Raiders for the first time.

I think El Dorado, the lost city of gold, actually worked as a goal or destination (or "McGuffin" I suppose) even a little more than the crystal skull itself.

I guess I'd sum it up like this. Raiders is the original and a classic. Temple of Doom is the scariest, Last Crusade has an excellent father/son story and the best humor. Crystal Skull seems to have a little of all three, and IMO it's also the best adventure since Raiders. It felt like taking the first 20 minutes of Raiders and expanding it into its own movie, and didn't you always sort of feel like that opening could've been its own movie if it wanted to be? Plus it adds a science fiction element, which none of the other Indy movies had. (Though all Indy movies have elements that rely on some kind of supernatural or spiritual or non-scientific theme.) Basically it was a well made escapism movie with a smart hero, like the other 3, I could see it appealing to either a new, young fan or an old fan who gets the added bonus of getting to go back 20 years in their personal Way Back Machine.

14. Grand_Moff_Jawa Force Ghost

star 5
    Any movie that starts with gophers is good in my book. [face_peace]

Seriously though, I liked seeing Indy's silhouette when he first puts on his hat. That was an Indy moment for me.
  15. Beirut Jedi Padawan

I loved this film, but it was nearly impossible to set aside all expectations on opening night. I'm sure we'd all built the film up in our minds over the past 19 years, adding various bits and pieces from the books, comics and games as we went along.

I think it works extremely well for the kind of 1950's B movie it aspires to be. You have the alien foreshadowing in the beginning- such as when Indy explains the legend, and we hear that eerie music play on the soundtrack. Then there's the talky second act, where all the exposition sets up the non-stop action of the final act. Lastly, we end the film with the hero walking off with the girl.

Nearly every major sequence in the film could be the cover of a 50's pulp magazine: Indy and the Atomic Cloud; Graverobbers vs. The Living Dead; Indy's Psychic Interrogation; A Fight Among Atomic Ants; Indy Encountering The UFO; etc.

The problem is that this type of romantic escapism is largely lost on today's filmgoers. Kids now expect "realism" in the form of something like The Dark Knight, and have little time for a movie where the hero survives a nuke by hiding in a fridge.
  16. StarWarrior77 Jedi Knight

star 3
    The whole film was great, but the best part was when Indy and that Russian dude(I forget his name) fight in the midst of the killer ants. I also liked Mutt's character and seeing Marion again was great. Indiana Jones can still kick butt despite his age and I am hoping for an Indy V!
  17. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Great observation. Never thought of it myself, but you're absolutely right. One of the things I really like about KotCS is how many touchstones of the 1950s they managed to squeeze in. The film is about the time period as much as it is Indy, more so then the other Indy films. I have a feeling this is because Lucas and Spielberg were kids during this period and it was very nostalgic for them.
  18. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4
    It's homage to the 1950s "B" movies, which was more fitting for a movie set in 1957, instead of a possibly outdated homage to the 1930s.
  19. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    People complain about all the bluescreened shots in the jungle chase, but all the live action shots are amazing. There's this one shot of a Russian soldier hanging off the back of Indy's jeep while he's got Mac in a headlock. The Russian gets on to the jeep and then Spalko is standing in her jeep alonside yelling at the guy to throw the skull to her. He does and then Indy knocks him off. All this happens in ONE SHOT.
  20. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9

Where was this?
  21. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm pretty sure Spike was kidding. ;)
  22. jedibri Jedi Master

star 4
    Spielberg is the master of timepiece movies. No one even comes close.
  23. darthvecron Jedi Knight

I've chats about this with my friends and the thing about Indiana Jones is that is cheesy and it revels in cheese. Seriously, you got the Ark, magic rocks, and a cup that give everlasting life, how does an alien skull NOT fit into this picture? The gags are cheesy, but so are the gags from the other three, though Last Crusade definitely has the best gags, mostly because of the chemistry between Connery and Ford. Everyone talks about how this movie doesn't make them feel the same way as they did as a child. Well duh! You're not a child anymore! I had an Indy marathon one day, watching the trilogy, and one of my friends saw KOTCS the day after and he said that he was glad he did, because he was able to see just how perfectly KOTCS fit into the Indy universe. I think that it's a great addition.

And BTW, I love the bickering scenes between Indy and Marion, especially in the sand pit.

And where is the O'Connell bit? I've missed that!
  24. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    The other night I watched KOTCS on DVD for the first time, after seeing it twice in the theater. Somehow on the big screen it had seemed odd, remote, different from the other sequels, enjoyable but not "Jones-ish" enough. Well, magically, on my HDTV it took on the same "Jonesy feel" as the others. I believe KOTCS is the best of the sequels, certainly better cinematically than ToD, and more entertaining and "epic" than TLC. The digital effects, in particular, are not as noticeable as such when viewed on DVD. And the character stuff is loads of fun, with really terrific villains, crackling dialogue in places, and an ingenious exposition scene (in the malt shop).

In short, I really enjoyed seeing the new movie on DVD, and as I slid the case in to the shelf next to the other IJ discs, I got a feeling of deep satisfaction.
  25. woj101 Force Ghost

star 1
    I loved the finale.

The Mysterious Cities of Gold was a brilliant cartoon when I was a kid and I'd started watching it again when I saw Indy 4, so to see that the big finale was based in one of those 'mysterious cities of gold', and to then link those cities with extra terrestrials was really exciting and done spectacularly.

I've only seen the film about 3 times so far, but the only thingthat actually gripes me is Ray Winstone's character and all that "Jonesy!" business.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.