main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

crossbones

Discussion in 'Literature' started by VILLIEMACE, Jan 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VILLIEMACE

VILLIEMACE Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2001
    Has Starfighter Crossbones come out yet? If so, could I have a review of it so I can see how Nym has got on since he was at the Battle of Naboo

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    It supposedly comes out today, but my comics ship monthly, so I'll probably get it early-to-mid february.

3. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I got my copy today. It was pretty good.

4. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    What an excellent, in-depth and insightful review, ska! ;)

I forgot it came out this week! :p

5. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    whats it about?

6. spicelord1

spicelord1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2000
    I forgot all about this coming out. My comic shop emailed me that it is in so I will get my copy tomorrow. Anyone have any spoilers? I am most impatient :D

7. skawookiee

Feb 12, 2000
    spoilers abound....

Ok, here's a slightly less insightful review than my last one. :) Crossbones is mainly boing to be about Nym, the alien guy in the Starfighter game and Single Cell. I have never played the game, and I understood it fine, although I feel that if I had played it, I might have grasped the character a little better. The plot is that there is a pirate attacking Trade Federation ships on the planet Maramere, which, as I understood it, is Nym's home planet. A lady from Maramere goes to the Jedi Council on Coruscant and talks to Adi Gallia about how to locate him. Adi has somehow attained a record that was recorded by Vena, apparently another person in the Starfighter game, and also the only person to ever arrest Nym (see Single Cell in Tales #7). It wasn't made clear in the comic why Nym didn't kill her, it just said he didn't. Either this is an oversight, or it's covered in the game and they didn't want to take time with it in the comic. After a little more background, they find Nym on Rodia, helping a clan of Rodians in a war against another clan. Interesting look into Rodian culture, even if it didn't always make perfect sense. Nym steals the treasure that went to the clan leader who he helped win, only to give him his share later. (Apparently, the clan leader somehow used the war to give Nym control and get more money out of it than he would have otherwise. The fish lady finds Nym after the battle, and offers him 50,000 credits to help liberate her planet from the pirate guy. Nym agrees and him and his partners (and I think the Rodian clan leader is going to end up going too) agree to go to Maramere. One thing I didn't get about this story is how it didn't quite fit in with Single Cell. Now, before you go and tell me that Tales is Infinities and Single Cell doesn't matter, I believe that Tales stories should at least try to fit into continuity when they can. Why are the Chandra-fan and Bith partners still with Nym? Didn't they betray him in Single Cell? Do they meet back up with him in the game? Is this a blatant discontinuity, or is it explained? The same writer wrote both of them, so I don't see why he would purposefully contradict himself. Overall, a good comic. I'm still looking forward to the rest of Stark Hyperspace War more, though.

8. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Maybe Single Cell happens after Crossbones ? That'd explain why Nym still got his 'partners'. I haven't read both of them, so I'm only speculating on what you said...

9. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Single Cell is before Starfighter, Crossbones 6 or 8 years after...I think...

10. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Okay, I tried... :D

Sorry, can't help. :(

11. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    It's written by the same author, btw.

Anyway, as Hayden Blackman is a fellow member of the SWFA, I had a chance to speak to him about the ending of Single Cell. He says its unclear, but the Chadra Fan and the Bith are indeed helping Nym break out of the prison he was in. They are his partners, after all.

12. skawookiee

Feb 12, 2000
    So, his partners posed as torturers in order to help him break out? It makes sense. It does make it clear that he was tortured before he got out, but perhaps not as much as he would have been if they hadn't been there to help.

13. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I still can't figure out if it takes place 6 or 8 standard years after TPM.

As to "Single Cell," I had no idea they were rescuing him. I assumed they were going to torture him, what with their Palpy-esque cloaks and all.

Anyhow, I'll pick this up later in the month probably when I get the next Ongoing.

14. skawookiee

Feb 12, 2000
    In the beginning of the comic it establishes that it takes place 6 years after the Battle of Naboo.

15. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    shhhh, Mav. we don't want them to know about that. ;)

16. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    We know stuff that you dont know! :p

17. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    The bith partner is his parner and wingman, in starfighter 1, he flies a airplane looking fighter(along with a toydarian as I remember). You find his rpg stats in one of the early gamer issues.

Single cell fit with the game rather well as I remember, and even answered a bit of a plothole in the game's story. Just like the gamer story also filled in on a few plotholes and background information.

If hayden chose to contradict it, which it doesn't seem people on these boards think he did, that was his prerogative.

Not to mention I think lucasarts.com advertised that comic in that tales issue as a continuity story for there game.

18. VILLIEMACE

May 15, 2001
    do you learn anymore background about nym in the comic? I will be buying the game soon so I will be keen to read the comic and learn about Nym. Does Nym get on with Adi Galia?

19. spicelord1

spicelord1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2000
    I picked this up and I am not too impressed by the story yet. It was kind of boring. It could be because I have not played the game that apparently ties into it. Just the plot made me want to groan. I am hoping the next issue is a bit better.

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually the comic ties into the game, not the game ties into the comic. Because the game is were the characters were invented first hand. The main story occurs in the games.

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    And will this lead in in any way to Jedi Starfighter, which also (co)stars Nym?

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, from what I read, it is setup as a prequel to the events that will be seen in jedi starfighter. Nym is one of the main characters, just like he was in the first one.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Is it me, or does that Neimoidian cruise boat seen on page #1 look exactly like a Protoss Carrier from Starcraft?

Here's a pic of one...

24. VILLIEMACE

May 15, 2001
    I have now got Crossbones and it is excellent. One question though. How did Adi Galia happen to have the jedi cube of vana sage? Do you see Nym leaving at the end of starfighter the game? there is one thing that confuses me. on the inside front cover it says that crossbones takes place 24 years before a new hope. However, the first panel says that it takes place 26 years before a new hope. which is correct?

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    maybe the inside because when a TPB is made the cover will much different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.