main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Crossguard Lightsaber on GIMP?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Imperial Reject, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    has anyone figured out how to to Kylo Ren's Crossguard saber effects on Gimp? as you know his blade is more unstable then normal I can do a normal saber effect just fine though

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

I am a GIMP whiz, what's the issue you're having with the effects? :)

3. Imperial Reject

Dec 6, 2012
    well his blade is more flame-y and electrical looking how do I get that effect?

4. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012

I'd suggest using multiple layers, once you have the base saber effect. Once you have that, you can then add "wisps" and ripple (using the smudge tool) to get that flame effect. The red layer definitely is very important, as it has the flame like curls. So I recommend putting that at 50% opacity or so and messing with the smudge.

It takes some practise, and I'll see if I can put up a couple of pictures to help in the next few days.:)

5. Imperial Reject

Dec 6, 2012
    ok cool thanks

6. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012

So I have spent the last little bit experimenting. What you are going to want to do (no pictures yet, but if you need them, let me know).

1. Start off with the crossguard hilt.
    2. Pick an orange-red colour for the base colour, create a new layer (name it red-base or whatever), and draw the base blades.
    3. Shape it into a rough point, like the saber has. Don't worry about making it perfect yet.
    4. Duplicate this later a bunch of times (you'll probably need 4 or 5, plus the untouched original, in case you screw up somewhere).
    5. Take two of the layers, make them white (colorize, no saturation, full brightness). Shave them down so they are thinner and can fit inside of the blade.
    6. Duplicate that if you wish, in case of errors. Then set the red and white layer aside in case you need them (I like to drag them to the bottom).

First, gaussian blur the first white as desired. 10-15 usually works best.

Second, gaussian blur one red layer excessively. It should look like a very faint glow. (I'd name it faint-glow or something!)

Third, gaussian blur two more layers until it looks fairly blended. This could be 10-20, depending on the size.

Fourth, duplicate "faint-glow" and one of the blended layers . Take your smudge tool, size it appropriately, then ripple first the faint-glow layer. Then, use the smudge tool on the blended layer to get the "flame" point effect.

Fifth, ripple one of the white layers carefully. You don't want to overdo it, since we already have the ripple effect from the above step.

Sixth, you can find stock images or attempt to draw your own sparks. If you draw them, I recommend using a very slight motion blur effect as well as a gradient effect to achieve the "fading from bright to dark". You can also use the lighting effects tool individually on each spark.

Finally, you can make any last adjustments to the layers. You can two tone layers (make one dark red, one orange-red) or anything to add more dimension, if you feel it needs it.

Hopefully that helps!