main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT Crossing Enemy Lines-- AU. (L/M, etc) Complete: 01/16/16.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    A civilian probably would think it was a normal conversation, but military personnel would think it was odd. A lowly pilot doesn't go and make a complaint to a General. That would totally irritate all the members of the chain-of-command between Luke and Madine. And Luke wouldn't be questioning the General. Maybe things are different for Rebels, but usually nobody gets around a General Officer without first going through his Aide.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Holy grits and gravy JL and SiouxFan. You sure are pointing out some interesting stuff/differences that those of us not directly in the military would never even think of. :rolleyes:

3. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Ah yeah. Well ive never been in the military. Truthfully the rebel alliance never struck me as very military despite having ranks is all. I do appreciate your candor though

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

4. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Sorry, I didn't mean it as a critique per se, but even in a civilian company you wouldn't just to to the CEO and gripe about things. True, the Rebel Alliance would be a bit more relaxed, but remember, most of these soldiers were once in the Imperial Navy/Army, so the 'chain-of-command' would still be enforced on a basic level.

My point was really this: even though Madine didn't hear what he said (although, if I were a betting man, he heard more than he let on to and was letting Skywalker off the hook a bit ;)) Luke is still going to raise suspicions just by the very act of walking into the General's office. All the other pilots are going to think, 'Who the hell does he think he is?' Again, think of it as working for, say....Wal-Mart. Just because you're an employee doesn't mean you can walk into Sam Walton's office in Bentonville and gripe.

I don't mean this as an attack, just something to keep in mind as your story progresses.

5. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    He wasn't in Madine's office.

6. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Mara smirked. “Nice of you to join us, Skywalker.”

“Of course. I wouldn’t miss it.” He smiled congenially.

“Then don’t you think it’s better if you have your eyes forward.”

[face_rofl][face_rofl] Tell him, girl. Love that little exchange!

Jade_eyes likes this.
  7. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Thanks! I enjoyed writing it!

8. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks to everyone for keeping up with this! This has been enjoyable! Next chapter estimate of posting.....either later tonight or tomorrow.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: Jade note. Thanks for the lively and interesting reviews. @};- The introspection at the beginning should help with some of the "what?" over Luke's prior actions. ;)

-----

EJF and I worked to set up the next situation which will show L/M working together as part of ateam, among other things. :cool:

---

Tagging:

Briannakin

JediFalcon

Jedi_Lover

SHADOW_MASTER_W

~~~~~

It had been two weeks since the "incident". He was surprised at the relaxed nature of the Alliance despite its military facade--though it was more disgust if he was truthful. He would have been sure that Madine would have either recalled his words somehow or reflected on their conversation--if you could call it that--about the fighter. He figured that he would have been called out after speaking so forthright, but he had not been, and that was what fueled his disgust.

The Rebellion was an incompetent, lax bunch; a rag tag band of Rebels that acted like they were a true military instead of the traitors they really were.

He chewed on his lip; an odd habit of his and looked across the way. Mara Jade was seated on the other side of the shuttle. He and Jade had gotten rather close in these past weeks and they had taken to hanging out frequently, though truth be told, he really didn't try to form any type of relationships beyond her and the pilots.

A big surprise that had come right after the battle; Solo had stuck around despite his self-centered persona earlier on and even had taken to finding time to talk to him frequently. Luke didn't mind the smuggler much, he was a little brash and egotistical, but there was really nothing particularly wrong with him. Plus, it was amusing to see the famed Leia Organa's feathers ruffled by him.

The person he least tried to reach out to was Organa--even though he should have. Oh, he had frequent talks with her but it was more of a superficial level. She was generally congenial toward him given the fact that he was obviously becoming friendly with Mara--how friendly they wouldn't know.

What he could say, was Mara was indeed warming up to him. Maybe she wasn’t falling for his charms like any other woman; she saw through him all too well. She didn’t voice it but he could tell from her tone and body language that she wasn’t easily ensnared. That’s when Luke decided he would have to tone it down and try a bit of truth.

The truth being that he did indeed find her enthralling. Mara was good-looking and had a feisty personality that intrigued him.

Organa was seated next to him, dressed in a gray jumpsuit going over the dossier.

“Now, does everyone know what we’re doing?” She asked, eyes regarding her group.

Han was sitting across from her, arms behind his head. “Why exactly can’t we take the Falcon? She’s the fastest ship we’ve got.”

“Also, the most known, Han.” Leia responded. “Or do you want Jabba to come after you?”

He winced at the princess’ retort.

Chewie woofed out loud.

“Laugh it up, fuzzball.” Han said , looking irritated at his co-pilot.

“Anyway, the Falcon is not suited for our mission. We need to look professional for the people we’re meeting, an actual delegation.”

“Then why is it that it’s you, me, Chewie, Jade, and Mr. Sunshine over there?” Why isn’t Madine here or Mon Mothma?”

Luke raised his eyebrow at the nickname. It had been brought on by Luke’s mostly serious demeanor.

“First of all, it’s General Madine. Second, both are needed to run the base. I was given authority by Mon Mothma and Madine to head this mission and to choose my own team. Now, as annoying as you are, Han, I have to acknowledge your skills.”

Luke saw Mara smirk and flashed her a knowing look.

“I saw that.” Han said, sliding a glance between the two. “Meanwhile, these two make kissy face.”

“Luke and Mara have proved that they work well together. Luke is a competent pilot, he follows Orders well, and Mara is good with technical matters.

Mara chuckled at the exchange between Han Solo and Leia. She caught Luke's eye during it.

Now he was something altogether different. He joked around with the other pilots during off-time, but he didn't become engrossed in their livelier pranks.

She studied Leia out of the corner of her eye.

Leia was courageous and resilient and very attractive. But Luke didn't flirt with her, that Mara could tell.

He seemed to be all wrapped up in Mara herself.

The pilots were very friendly, but they seemed to have gotten the notion that she and Luke were an official pair. This last thought made her roll her eyes.

"What really do we know about this contact?" Han was now asking Leia.

"Elan represents Adumar as an envoy. Their governor wants to offer us a location for a Rebel base. We need all the allies we can get." Leia responded.

"But did you at least check her creds?" Han persisted.

Leia frowned. "In case of what?"

"Do you think she's a spy?" Mara asked, curiously. "A plant by the Empire?"

Han scowled. "It's not so farfetched, is it?" He demanded.

"Adumar has nothing to gain by allying with the Empire." Leia countered.

“No, she was only used as a place for exiles from the Republic, Princess. Doesn’t look too good.”

"Contrary to your belief, Han, we did check Elan out as to if she was who she claimed and from where." Leia answered.

"That kinda thing can be falsified, you know." Han answered. "You should've checked deeper ."

Mara had been one of those tasked to do the checking. Nothing strange or glaring had popped up on the scopes or tingled in her Force sense.

Luke chimed in: "Yes, even I know that. Maybe, just in case, we need to come up with a back-up strategy in case things get chaotic and unpleasant..."

"I agree." Mara said. "We may not have the luxury once we meet up with our contact."

Leia gave Luke an interested look.

“So what exactly did you have in mind then?”

“Me?” He said.

“Mm”

“Well, if you’re asking me…and you are, I’d like us to do some searching of our own. We meet the Ambassador Elan’s delegation in three days time; whereupon we will start the first cooperative talks with her and her group, correct?”

Leia nodded.

"Up untill now, we haven't even heard of this planet; you say it exists, but I'd like to think of myself as pretty worldly--and no i'm not being conceited. For all we know we could be walking into a trap. Now, after we have the first talks we’ll probably be shown to our rooms.” He looked at Organa as if waiting for her to confirm.

“Most likely, yes.” Leia nodded.

“I say, we use the time in between talks to split up and do some investigative research.”

“You mean slicing.” Leia said in an accusatory tone.

He winced. “All right, slicing, spying. But yes, I propose we find a database and slice into it.”

“Anything they have will probably be encrypted.”? She pointed out.

“Most likely.” He conceded. “But if they really are innocent then they have nothing to hide do they?”

“So, why don’t you just ask them outright then?” Solo interjected brusquely. “It’s sure as hell better than sneaking around.”

Mara rolled her eyes.

Luke sighed. “Look, Solo, I don’t know what you’re definition of discrete is, but it obviously isn’t the same as mine. If you go making it obvious you don’t trust them, if they do have anything to hide they’ll automatically start deleting files, which we don’t know.” He snorted. “Any idiot knows that.”

“So, who do you propose we get to do that, Smartguy?”

Luke looked to Mara.

“Me?” She said, looking surprised.

“Yes, you.”’

“I don’t know a thing about slicing.”

“But you do know decryption, and I guarantee you that any system worth its weight is encrypted to preserve its files. It’s the basic tenet of a slicer: to break through the coding."

Mara frowned. "In my technical courses, we did learn something about slicing, just enough not to set off alarms and get unmasked by the guys we were tracking. Like you said, if they know you're looking at their information, or for their best-kept secrets, they'll dump the files or set up automatic programs to do that. I've never done it in a real-life situation like this, but I had to know the basics for the exam at the end of the course."

Leia smiled. "That's more than the rest of us, Mara." She assured.

Luke nodded. "We don't need a deep comprehensive probe, just enough to see if they're being up-front with us and to probe the layers of their story, to see if there are gaps or loopholes."

Mara considered. "I could start with public databases that don't have software booby traps, to see if there are discrepancies between how they're presenting themselves to you and what their real motives might be. Then, only when or if that doesn't work, move on to the deeper searches."

Luke gave an approving nod, and Han looked relieved that she wasn't going to push their luck too far, too fast. He liked taking chances, but not walking into a trap without a way or several outs.

"That first step will more than likely be enough." Leia remarked, hopefully.

Mara smiled, suddenly. If there was one thing she liked it was a challenge to test her mettle. "All right. I'll do my best."

Six days later, the Rebel Defender came out of hyperspace in the vicinity of the Surd Nebula; which was located in the Carrerras system. The system was on the Outer Rim and contained mostly backwater planets. The meeting spot was unconventional so it served as a perfect rendezvous point for them and the delegation from Adumar. Given the distance between Adumar and Carrerras system, it was highly unlikely the Empire would catch on to them.

It gave the Alliance less to worry about given the circumstances.

“I still don’t like this.” Han grumbled. “Why meet us so far away from Adumar?”

Leia frowned. "Maybe we should start calling you 'Mr. Sunshine.' You are starting to sound as pessimistic and dour as 3PO."

Han gave her a wounded look. "Please, Your Holiness. There is no need to be insulting. But don't you think it's the least bit odd?"

Luke lifted his head, opening his eyes. “Likely, it's fear.”

“Of us?!” Mara asked. "Why?"

“Of the Empire.” Leia corrected. “I don’t blame them; it’s the logical thing anyone would do in these circumstances. The Adumari are sticking they’re necks out offering us this. That…can’t be easy—they’re taking a huge risk.”

Han snorted.

“They are living in fear.” Luke commented. “But their bravery is admirable; when you're pushing for something that makes you stand out against the majority, not many have the true will to step up and face the odds.”

Mara glanced at him, impressed by such a profound statement. Luke was surprising her more the longer she knew him.

"I think Luke's right. It's much easier to go along with what's safe." Mara assented.

Leia glanced at her wrist chrono. "Well, let's head over to our arranged meeting place." She suggested. "It's best if we arrive first."

Han had to agree with the tactical wisdom of that suggestion.

++++++++

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Great chapter. I loved the banter between Han and Leia.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  11. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I really liked Luke's thoughts about the rebels in the beginning, and the banter in the rest.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice update...but didn't you promise me there was going to be some L/M bootknocking at some point? [face_thinking]

Jade_eyes likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    JL [face_laugh] Woot! Don't tempt me. [face_dancing] [face_mischief] [:D]

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I will tempt you. Give me some L/M smut and you get cookies. Maybe I should write a missing scene. HA! Shine it up. :p

Jade_eyes likes this.
  15. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    Nice interaction between Han/Leia!

'...we use the time and do some investigative research.' ------ '...you mean slicing.'

Spying--slicing--Same thing. As Obi-wan said, it's all point of view.

'There is no need to be insulting.'---[face_laugh]

I got a chuckle out of Luke's double-standard. '...he was a little brash and egotistical...' says the guy who is deriding the Rebellion's operating policy and thinks of Mara'...she wasn't falling for his charms like any other woman.' Nope, no ego there!

Good stuff.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  16. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Touche. But the thing is....Luke doesn''t think of himself as egotistical. His perception of reality in that case is a little bit skewed.

SiouxFan and Jade_eyes like this.
  17. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    Ha! Words to live by! No one ever thinks of themselves as being a jerk! It's like the joke: "If you can't find the jerk at the party...look in the mirror."

Jade_eyes likes this.
  18. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Then again he does work for the empire and the emepror so his way of thinking...is kind of natural

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Jade_eyes likes this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I agree with EJF. He coudn't or wouldn't survive or succeed in the Empire without a large, huge dose of ego, even in those instances when he's not feeling it. After a while, it becomes like a mask you're comfy wearing. [face_thinking] Mara's, and the others' task will be to cause a transformation, eventually, which is what he did for her, incidentally. Hers just took longer, :rolleyes:

SiouxFan likes this.
  20. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    True...and one doesn't become a fighter pilot without huge amounts of ego (trust me, I've met more than my fair share) it's just funny that he's pointing it out in someone else.

I'm not sure about hers taking longer....Mara's had pretty much died off after Last Command, but we all know how well LFL does romance. 'Wait....that is leading somewhere....we can't have that. Quick, pair her with Lando.' Ugh.

21. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

The difference between Han and Luke...Han has known to openly brag,(and he's Corellian doesn't help lol), Luke is only stating things he considers based on his abilities. He knows where his abilities stand, he doesn't see it bragging but stating only pointing out his skills. Notice he's never once put himself openly on a pedestal per se. (meaning actually voiced) Now, I acknowledge there could be a few instances which could be perceived as such.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Hey when you are hot looking Luke (like on the Japanese Book covers) you have every right to be vain. :p

23. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    Would you be able to tag me please when there are updates?

24. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Most definitely! I am happy that you are enjoying the story so far.

25. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    thank you! [:D]