main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT Crossing Enemy Lines-- AU. (L/M, etc) Complete: 01/16/16.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Who helped her? [face_thinking] Excellent update!

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    “Ms. Jade...”

This stopped her.

“Tell the Princess…I’m taking care of things. She doesn’t have to worry anymore.”

She moved to speak but he had already darted back into the passage, the door closing behind him. Mara stood there, her mind reeling, left with unanswered questions and the sudden news he had left her with.

What in the name of the Sith had he meant?

She shook her head and headed for the transport. She’d deal with it at another time; she had to take this opportunity that was given to her and escape.

“Thank you…” Mara whispered.

Then it suddenly dawned on her that she hadn’t gotten his name.

Oh well….

_+++++++++

I have an idea. But I will not tell, until I find my suspicions confirmed.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I loved Mara's fire in this conversation.

Well the mystery character is described as 6 feet tall and dark eyes -- Han Solo would be my guess -- in some lighting his eyes look brown --- but I believe they are hazel.

And earlier when Mara could find no panties in the room --- I can't wait for that conversation between her and Luke about that one. Luke's in trouble.

4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    crawls through thread, update please :D

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes, an update! [face_dancing]

Hope you guys enjoy! :)

Juliet316 Gemma Falcon

Jedi_Lover AzureAngel2

~~~~~~~~~!!!!!

Mara input the transponder code and the destination into the navcomputer and settled back in the pilot's seat. The transponder code was that of an inconspicuous personal transport-style vehicle, like that which a family of moderate means would be able to afford.
    The navcomp was programmed to make micro-jumps out of the Coruscanti system. Mara would then slip in a code and destination of one of the last known Rebel bases. She found out that Imperial Intelligence was the source of this latter bit of information, which her mysterious rescuer had been able to include in the data-chip.
    With Director Isard running Intelligence, Mara had no doubt it was as accurate as probably a few weeks or months.
    Mara took a deep breath and let it out slowly. The adrenaline rush was finally starting to fade.
    With a few minutes to take stock, she found her mind pondering how or whether she would see Luke again.
    How would she spin his actions when she met up with the Rebels again?

This point was definitely something she had to decide beforehand, Mara realized. She could admit he was an Imperial agent who now wanted to defect and that he was sabotaging the Empire's plans now, or should she just leave Luke's motives and loyalties completely out of the picture and let him straighten that all out when he returned?

She bit the inside of her mouth.
    Whatever happened, it wasn’t going to be pretty.

Halfway through her journey, Mara had a brief stopover on a much-frequented access point for hyperspace traffic. She stopped at one of the spaceport's cafes for a drink and then stocked up on more supplies--foodstuffs and charger packs for her holdout blaster.
    She saw a sleeve holster that would fit the weapon perfectly and purchased it using the credichips her erstwhile rescuer had provided under her assumed identity.
    Apparently, it was tied to a source of funding for just such a need.
    This thought made her conclude that he must be some kind of double agent. He must be very clever, to stay undetected by Vader and the Emperor...She thought.

Her speculating was cut short by a tingling at her danger sense. She didn't quicken her pace so as not to alert the one who was obviously trailing her that she had noticed a tail.

She surreptitiously turned and caught sight of a gentleman with two weapons on his belt. She glanced aside quickly so as not to hold eye contact long enough for him to take issue with it.
    He suddenly picked up his pace and activated a comm unit strapped to his wrist and slunk off in another direction, giving off waves of frustration through the Force.

Mara grimaced in relief. She wasn't his target, after all.
    She made it to her docking pad without further ado, loaded up, and exited the system without incident.

In a system four jumps out from Coruscant, Mara decided it was more or less safe to send out a friendly hail.

A familiar presence was the one to intercept it.

“Princess, we’re receiving hailing from an incoming vessel.”

Leia looked up and headed for the comm officer. Their flagship had been lurking nearby, surreptitiously watching comm traffic to see when the best time to move in would/might be. The schematics of the ship wasn't familiar but the signal was on the approved or friendly list. The scrambled passcode for verification was also valid.

Embedded in the code was "It's Mara. I was able to break out of the Imps' clutches."

"I wonder if Luke's with her." Leia mused aloud. "If not, there'll still need to be an extraction."

Han shot her a wink.

"The way Luke and Mara were cozying up, I can't imagine he wouldn't be with her."

“Of course.” Leia said, trying to muster confidence.

Deep down though, she was unable to dismiss the uneasy feeling welling up.

She gave the clearance to bring Mara onboard. Hopefully her fears would be put to rest once she got Mara’s briefing.

When Mara finally came aboard, Leia and Han both scrutinized her carefully for signs of ill-treatment. They brought her into one of the briefing rooms and after the warm greetings, got down to the intended purpose. Through the update, Mara remained silent about Luke’s ‘disappearance’—a point which frankly had them puzzled. They pressed her on whether he had been captured, would need to be rescued, or was strategizing his own escape.

"Well, as to that ..." Mara shrugged. "He was not exactly forthcoming on any of his own plans. Guess I'm just lucky he was able to get me out as relatively smoothly as he did."

Mara frowned as if recalling something.

"He has help, though. The same person that helped me get out." She paused. "He told me to tell you not to worry anymore and that he's taking care of things."

The ensuing silence was heavy with perplexity as Leia frowned. Who could that be? A sudden flash in her mind, a tall, imposing man dressed in the blues of a palace guardsman.

But the last time, she’d seen him was….two years ago.

Luke had been so certain. In his mind, he calculated the exact moments Mara would be making her escape. He hadn’t however accounted for Palpatine. Stupid.

He kneeled before his Master, his hands behind his back placed in binders. Sweat soaked his forehead and his skin was on fire from the pain. Palpatine stood paces away as the guard rained down another blow on his back.

He’d almost succeeded. Where had he messed up? Where?

He remembered faintly entering the audience chamber, kneeling before his Master. He’d reported glibly on how Mara would soon be under his control; that she was utterly in love with him. Palpatine had cackled with glee and gloated how she would be the Rebels’ undoing.

When Palpatine invited Luke to dine with him, that’s where he should have felt something was off. He’d been far too cocky. He recalled the condescending tone the Emperor had used, looking down upon him, the guards holding him in place. They’d used binders especially honed toward Force user.

Force suppressing cuffs.

He had felt suffocated the moment they had been clamped around his wrists; tightly and mercilessly with the intent to inflict suffering. No doubt the guards had enjoyed that-taking him down a peg or four. When he had struggled one had struck him in the head.

His stomach soured at the memory. Being subjugated like some lower life form. It was humiliating! If he’d been able to, he would have crushed their minds. He would have completely obli-!

His inner simmering was cut short when another lash fell upon his shoulder. He stiffened, but did not cry out; he wouldn’t give Palpatine the satisfaction.

“Did you think you could truly fool me?” Palpatine rasped. “You are hardly a spec in the Dark side compared to me.” His face screwed up in disdain and disgust. “Your arrogance is pitiful; you are far too overconfident for my liking.”

When Luke didn’t respond, he continued:

“Did you think I would not know your plans? You cannot mask your true self with me no matter how pitifully you try. To think you ‘fell in love’,” He sneered condescendingly, then cackled in amusement. “No doubt you planned this from the very start. You dashed in like a white knight intent on saving the woman.”

He grabbed Luke’s chin in his gnarled hand, digging his cracked and yellowing nails into the Hand’s flesh. Luke body stilled fully aware that he was at Palpatine’s mercy. He knew that if the Emperor chose, he could send lightening into his brain—killing him instantly.

It hardly mattered. He wouldn’t talk no matter what Palpatine did to him.

The door slid open behind Palpatine and a figure loomed in the door way.

“Your Highness…” The officer ventured tentatively.

Palpatine never took his eyes off of Luke’s face.

“Your Highness.”

“What is it?” Palpatine snapped.

“The prisoner is not in her room.”

“Then find her!”

“We have already conducted a search, Emperor.” He paused as if dreading what he was about to reveal. “The South hanger reports a private transport made its way out of the palace fifteen standard minutes ago.”

“And you let it go!”

“The clearance checked out…we were…told.” The officer’s voice faltered.

Luke could see rage boiling in Palpatine’s eyes. He would have let out a sigh of relief had the Emperor not still had a firm grip on his jaw. He could feel it tighten as his Master turned back to give Luke his full attention, simultaneously ignoring and dismissing the man. If it had been Vader, the officer would have been dead. Palpatine, however, wasn’t one to lose control so easily in such a case.

“So, she has escaped.” He narrowed his eyes. “How wonderful…” His tone was acerbic and mocking. “It shall, however, be short lived.” He paused. “But why catch the small fish when I can catch a larger one, eh?” He tapped the hollow of Luke’s cheek. “I think, I shall keep you alive. You may still prove useful to me…”

Mara’s anxiety had not lessened after the briefing. In fact it seemed to ramp up, her brain firing rapidly as the impending sleep cycle approached. She wondered how Luke was proceeding with his own plans and how soon, or if, he would be meeting up with them?

After he had successfully gotten her off planet with minimal problems, there was no doubt in her mind that he was handling things well.

She bedded down for the night and, with a bit of effort, was able to drift to sleep. Despite this, her night was far from peaceful. She had left her worries to the conscious world, but her subconscious did not live by this dictate, as soon was evidenced by a chilling dream.

Mara's restful sleep suddenly became filled with a nameless, faceless threat. She was instantly on guard and felt an abrupt onslaught of pain. She winced as she heard a maniacal cackle.

Who the krell was that?

It wasn't Vader, certainly. The Emperor, then?

Mara awoke with a startled gasp. As if propelled by fear, she was jerked back into reality. She clawed at the sheets, coated in sweat.
    The pain had been intense and vicarious all at once, as if she were sensing someone else's …

Her heart plummeted.

Luke!!

Her gut clenched with anxiety and trepidation over Luke's fate.

“Luke…” She whispered. “You should have come with me…” Oh, if only he'd been able to leave with her ... “You should have got out ...” If she hadn't been captured at Bespin in the first place, none of this would've happened!

Mara spared a moment to wonder how she had been able to pick up something like that through the Force. Either the 'broadcast' was strong, or additionally, what she and Luke had shared had forged some sort of burgeoning link between them. She only hoped if the last was the case, it would prove useful in the end.

Later in the ship's day cycle, she, Han, and Leia met for a planning briefing. Han and Leia noticed Mara's preoccupation and air of distraction.

"I didn't sleep all that well." She told them in answer to their concerned glances. She hadn't been able to fall asleep after that terrible awakening.

Leia consulted the console in front of her.

"Mara, we received a message from Alliance Command after yesterday's briefing. We've heard rumors lately, which some spies have been able to verify, of heightened Imperial activity in this sector," She highlighted a position on the map on display. "Two of our operatives were able to send us this much information. We're planning a strike force at this location."

Han continued:
    "We're going to try to coordinate that, if possible, with Luke’s extraction. Hopefully dovetailing the missions at the same time will divide the Imps' attention."

Hope leapt up in her. Yes, they’d get him back…everything would be fine. Whatever was happening, they’d deal with it then. But for now…

No, a silent voice reprimanded her.

She tried fighting against it. Everything in her demanded that they rescue Luke…but she knew that the voice was right. She understood the meaning.

Luke had set her free, he had risked himself for her. If she dove back into the fray…if they did, his efforts would be in vain. They needed to focus everything on their larger objective, even if it meant at the cost of their friend.

Her heart remained heavy, and tears burned the back of her throat. She had to do his…

Mara forced the words out around the icy lump in her throat:
    "I think Luke would want us to focus on the Alliance's major objective."

Leia frowned.
    "Are you sure?"

Han shot Mara a confident glance.
    "I still don't know why we can't do both."

She knew the Rebels would welcome the challenge and simultaneously not want to turn their back on a friend, but with what she must assume were Force-nudges, Mara had to try to dissuade them.
    If they went ahead anyway, she didn't know what the outcome might be ... for any of them.

_______
    TBC ...

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Poor Luke, Poor Mara...

7. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I feel so bad for Mara. And Luke's still stuck and he's in trouble. And who was the guard who helped Mara escape??

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Poor Luke and Mara. I can't stand Palpatine...but I guess that is why he is the villain. Nice update!

9. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    "The way Luke and Mara were cozying up, I can't imagine he wouldn't be with her."

That was very well put. They are indeed warming up for one another.

10. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    interesting update, more soon

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Note: This long-awaited update is smooth, real smooth and got a great bunch of umph, if I do say so myself. :cool:

2 Months Later

It had been months since Luke had gone missing. Oh, it wasn’t that she had misplaced him; she knew exactly where he was—with Palpatine. His fate, however, was unknown to her. Other than that brief initial sensing of him she had gotten, she hadn’t sensed anything in a long while. It was like the other end of a comm unit going dead and Mara was left without a means to reach it. At times, she truly feared the worst had happened.

The Alliance opinion had been vastly different; it was even fair to say they were opposed to Luke now. Most of them anyway. Oh, there were a few that still held onto the faith-Mon Mothma among them—but the majority of the officers had since shown a great distrust for him. Madine had even proposed that Luke was a traitor, or perhaps had been from the very start, and quickly wrote the man off.

She knew right then that no help would come from Madine to rescue Luke. Mothma had looked at her apologetically. She could tell the woman did not share Madine or the other officers’ views, but she knew that her hands were tied. As a leader, Mothma had to put the Alliance’s overall objective above nor man’s safety.

Especially one whose loyalties were unknown.

Tears stung her eyes. “Luke...” She murmured.

“Did you say something, Mara?” Leia asked.

“Hmm. No, it was nothing.”

Mara brushed the tears from her eyes, ducking her head. She couldn’t let Leia see her cry.

“Are you sure?” Leia's eyes studied her closely.

Mara turned to her, rising from her seated position.

“I’m fine. I’m going to go grab something to eat; tell me when the briefing starts.”

She could see Leia frowning out of the corner of her eye.

“I will.”

Mara could tell the princess didn’t entirely trust her word, but thankfully she let it be.

She made her way down the hallway, heading in the opposite direction of the mess hall. She didn’t need food, she needed to get away. The last few days she had felt the base gearing up for something grand, she’d heard whispers among the chief staff. Whispers that they had a definite plan to destroy the Empire once and for all. Spies and locations.

She’d dismissed it merely as rumor until now. Now, she was sure there was something to it. More a reason to get away and think.

Whatever the mission's details, Mara was certain it would not only effect the Alliance and the galaxy, but would affect Luke. Not to mention herself. She knew that her thoughts weren’t exactly selfless and that there were bigger things than herself… but...

She loved him.

And she couldn’t so easily dismiss that and him. A man who had willingly gone after and helped her get away couldn’t be bad. A man who was a traitor would have let her rot.

Absentmindedly, she cycled through files on her datapad of worlds. Searching, searching. Searching for what she didn’t, but something suddenly caught her eye.

Endor...

Mara then felt something - was it a Force nudge? -as she glanced at the coordinates.

She had never been the kind of person who believed in tantalizing visions or flights of intuition. She'd sooner let the situation dictate her choices in lieu of searching the Force for guidance.

A message from Leia suddenly caught Mara's notice: the briefing would be starting in 15 minutes.

Mara settled next to Han and Leia at the long conference table and followed the schematics that were currently displayed as Mothma filled them in.

"The forest moon of Endor is the precise location of the Death Star." Mothma told the assembled members of the potential strike team who would need to take out the shield generator.

Endor. Mara thought, her emotions spiking.

She felt someone jostle her--Han--and snapped back to reality.

He was leaning back to speak to Wedge behind him. "Who's up for this crazy venture?" Han whispered.

"If the odds are stacked, you can count the Rogues in." Wedge replied.

"Mara, your slicing skills and Rogue Squadron as well will be instrumental in the successful completion of our objective." Mothma was saying.

She looked around the table for volunteers. Leia wanted in, naturally, and Han wasn't about to be left out, either

Well, Mara thought, it looked like she had her answer.

Aboard the recently acquired and refitted Imperial shuttle, she confided her Force premonition to Leia. The princess brightened at the revelation.

"I have to believe that's a good sign." She told Mara.

"I hope so!" Mara responded earnestly. "I can’t be sure, but I have a feeling that something’s about to break - good or bad, is anyone's guess."

Han chimed in: "So, what'dya think it'll take to take down this battlestation?" He frowned. "Another lucky shot?"

Leia sighed and answered: "That won't work again this time. They've certainly beefed up the hardware. There won't be such a vulnerable point of entry again."

One of the strike team members interrupted. “We’re about to find out, ma’am. Approaching Endor now.”

Then, the navcomputer pinged and the shuttle reverted into realspace over the lovely moon of Endor.

The strike team landed upon the forest moon after their clearance code was subsequently being approved. Mara knew their objective, but she had one too. She looked to Leia who gave her an uncertain look.
    She whispered: "Are you sure? Mara, you don't even know he's here or if he's what you think he is."

"He's here. The Force is moving me to this." She glanced skyward. "He released me. Despite what high command thinks, he's not evil."

"I never said he was..."

"I'm not sure why he's with them... was.... but it can't be for any reason than something beyond his control. You know what Han told us about his brief stint with he Imperial Naval Academy. He told us what the Empire is like.”

"Yes but.."

"Leia he openly defied the Emperor's orders for me, and he..." She stopped short, images flashing in her mind.

Bodies writhing, intertwined, cries of passion.

Her cheeks almost heated.

"He's good." She finished lamely.

"Everything all right? Han asked, hand on his blaster.

Mara gave him a reassuring smile.

"Everything's good."

He looked at her with discerning eyes. He wasn't fooled so easily.

"This have something to do with Luke?"

Mara slid a glance to Leia who remained silent. Han frowned.

"It does, doesn't it?" He looked around. "Do you feel him or something?"

"She's not sure." Leia answered, when Mara didn't respond.

Han narrowed his eyes.

"All right. Just tell us if you're getting any.... vibes."

She smiled nervously. "You'll be the first ones to know."

She'd said it, but she wasn't sure she believed it herself. The situation with Luke was very delicate, and truth be told it wasn't really anyone's responsibility but her own. This was her mission. Her battle. They could not fight it for her--even though she was sure they would be glad to do so.

"We should get going or else we won't make much headway before sundown."

"Yeah," Han jerked his head. "Let's roll out boys. We've got a ton of ground to cover before the shield generator."

They had been walking for a good thirty minutes, and waves in the Force seemed to grow stronger. They battered against Mara, prodding and pushing. She knew something precipitous was going to happen. Whether it would change her life or the tides of the entire war, she was unsure.

She looked skyward where the Death Star hovered somewhere in orbit above the Forrest Moon. Was Luke up there? She released a heavy sigh which drew the attention of Leia. Mara shook her head and willed herself to focus. She couldn't be spacing out. Not when danger lurked around every tree. She had to push on.
    Then she could find Luke. She was going to find him!

"All right...we'll break for five minutes" Han announced suddenly. "Take this time to rest, eat, whatever." He pointed to two strike team members. "Except you guys; I want you two scout ahead then report back."

The men nodded and headed out.

The strike team returned from their recon and reported a nearby major Ewok settlement.

Mara pondered aloud: “Should we seek them out or avoid them altogether?”

Han responded, "Clandestine is what I always go for, with back-up strategy just in case we're discovered."

"We have nothing to hide." Leia objected. "I would opt for the forthright approach."

Han scowled and Mara gave this thought.

"No need to make things more complicated than they need to be." Mara finally decided.

Han replied with approval, "Yeah, if they happen to join the party, that's soon enough to work out the details."

"You're such a cynic." Leia replied.

After they had walked for an additional thirty minutes, they stopped for a second time. The sentry outposts were clearly marked on their maps, so they had steered clear of those, in addition to the Ewok settlements.

Han and Leia were scheduled to coordinate strategy one last time with the Rogues and the commanders onboard Home One.

When they were finished, Leia turned to Mara. "Are you going to come with us?" She asked.

Mara shook her head negatively.

"I feel a bit restless." She admitted. "I want to walk a bit, and I'll set up camp while you're gone."

Leia nodded.

Mara continued, "Don't forget to encrypt and scramble your chatter with Home One. You don't want the Imps to triangulate to your location."

"Thanks, Mara. We'll see you in a bit." Leia said.

"Don't move off too far." Han cautioned.

"Okay. And I'll be careful." She promised, and they parted ways.

Mara waited till they were gone before she started to prepare.She began by making sure
    she had her holdout weapon and spare charger to hand.

Things were about to get dangerous and she had to be prepared.

She’d felt something tugging at her since their arrival, but had been unable to pinpoint it.
    She soon realized as they got closer, that it was a distant Force signature muted by an unknown amount of separation, but still tantalizingly familiar.

Luke was here?

She didn't know whether to be relieved or alarmed.She had no idea what his standing or position with the Emperor was at the moment. Was he biding his time or back to being a willing servant?

Her thoughts turned to Vader, suddenly. How did he figure in all of this? Was he aligning himself with Luke or the Emperor, or pitting one against the other for his own unknowable ends?

Mara scowled to herself. She wanted desperately to go after Luke, but it would be the sheerest folly to walk into the situation not knowing what were each of the players goals. She also knew that she would likely have little or no time to think on her feet. She would be swept along by events... Still, she couldn't just sit idly by and do nothing. She reflected ruefully that she and Solo had that much in common.

Now, instead of an aimless stroll, Mara had a goal in mind. She was going to seek Luke out, and perhaps save him like he had saved her.

Somehow, she felt she had just made a crucial, life-changing choice...

And an even greater misstep.

Mara was so deep in concentration that she didn't hear the stealthy footsteps approaching. Nor had she realized she had inadvertently gone dangerously near a sentry lookout post.

A brusque voice stopped her in her tracks:

"Stand your ground! Who are you, and what is your business?"

Mara froze.

She had to think fast. This was it; the moment she’d been waiting for.

Gathering up her wits, she stammered out a convincingly befuddled response, secretly glad that all was going according to her plan, even as the binders slid securely around her wrists.

The door to his cell door slid open and Luke raised his head slowly, his eyes bloodshot, and winced as the pain in his muscles renewed with a vengeance. He was exhausted; both mentally and physically. He had fought the man for hours, but now…he feared he no longer had the will to resist him any further.
    He trained his blurry eyes on the door, watching as Palpatine entered the cell, his gait slow and purposeful. A taunt resounded with every step the man took.
    He moved a few steps forward and stopped in front of Luke.
    “Now, Skywalker, I trust you have had time to reconsider your recalcitrant ways?"
    His heart heavy, Luke responded wryly, “Yes, my Master,” and cast his eyes down.
    Palpatine gave a pleased cackle. "Good. It begins and we shall crush the rebellion once for all." His hand then cupped the Hand’s chin, turning his face upward. “Rise, my Hand.”
    ++++

Tags:

Falcon Jedi_Lover Gemma

Juliet316

EGKenobi

Briannakin

----

If I missed anyone, or you no longer want tags, let me know.

AzureAngel2 and Gemma like this.
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Juliet316, that is the response we were looking for! so glad you enjoyed that twist! mwahaha

14. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Poor Luke, he should lie just to get out

can't wait for more

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Poor Luke! :_|

Nice update!

16. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I hope Mara can rescue Luke soon. He sounds beat.

17. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    eeeeeeeeeeeek. I read this the other day, but with Nano I am having a hard time keeping up with responses. That ending is scary, and I hope that Mara can intervene before things go too crazy. I think seeing Mara might be the balm that Luke needs...

Gemma, AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    AN: A long-awaited update. [face_dancing] Perfectly timed LOL since the boards are loading fine! :D

ginchy

Gemma

AzureAngel2
    Jedi_Lover
    Juliet316
    Falcon
    Briannakin

Mara eyed the guards surreptitiously on either side of her as they made their way to the landing pad. She had successfully convince them of her surrender, and they had taken her blaster and lightsaber without her offering any objection.
    Now, she could only hope that this would lead her to Vader, which in turn would lead her to Palpatine then perhaps to Luke.

Within a few minutes, the tall landing pad loomed before her and the Stormtroopers brought her up to the access hatch. It slid open easily, revealing an Imperial officer standing just inside. He eyed them all with a concentrated look.

"And this is...?"

"We found this one roaming around." One trooper explained. "We believe she's a rebel defector.."

Mara put on her most defiant expression, with just the right undercurrent of trepidation.

The Imperial officer scowled. "I will bring her to Lord Vader. He will dispatch her after a due interrogation, I am sure." He leered.

The trooper nodded and strode off down a side corridor.

The Officer gestured for Mara to follow and they entered the turbolift.

During the all-too swift ascent to the main deck, Mara pondered what this meeting with Vader would ask of her ingenuity and what on-the-spot decisions she might be forced to make. Her contemplation was unfruitful, as the lift came to a smooth stop and they exited to face the imposing figure of Darth Vader.

The latter gave the Officer a cold measuring glance.

"This had better be important." The Dark Lord rasped.

"This my lord is a defector." He thrust Mara forward by the arm, handling her most roughly.

She gritted her teeth, resisting the urge to strike out.

"I see." Vader seemed to contemplate her without giving away anything.
    She supposed that ratting her out to his lessers would have served no purpose.

"She was armed with these items." The officer passed over the compact blaster and lightsaber.

"I see." He accepted the lightsaber, twisting the hilt in his hand, but disregarded the blaster. It was no interest to him. He waved it off and the Imperial officer pulled it back.

"Very well," The man cleared his throat. "I believe there may be more of them out there, My Lord...Should I..."

Vader cut him off: "Have a search of the area conducted. Find them. I shall deal with this one." He gestured toward the young woman.

"As you wish." The man clicked his heels and turned to leave, the Stormtroopers flanking him as he left.

Vader gave her only a momentary glance; his meaning obvious. He felt a stirring in the Force and sensed the resolute stare burning into his helmet.

Something was indeed amiss.

A Rebel defector? Vader could have scoffed openly at this notion.

No, the woman had an angle and Vader was determined to ferret it out. Could he enlist Jade's assistance in his own plans? If they went along with hers, doubtless she would.

He needed to uncover the objective behind her walking voluntarily into the enemy camp. This was easier said than done. She was securely barricaded behind strong mental shields.

No. A direct assault would gain him nothing, Vader concluded.

For her part, Mara met the unyielding glance of the Dark Lord unflinchingly. Her expression gave nothing away of her intent or inner state.

He had to see how far she would keep up this facade.

"I know what you hope to accomplish." He rumbled, hoping to rouse her. "But it will not go as you plan; he cannot be swayed. He is merely the Emperor's puppet. A sightless, spineless doll--though he claims differently, he was easy enough to break." He couldn’t help but taunt her--he had to see how firm her resolve was.

Nor could he help sounding disappointed, because in truth he was just that.

He'd known the boy despised him, but he hoped that his actions toward Jade had held him above the Emperor's sway. It had been disappointing that Skywalker had been so easy to break. He’d hoped for so much more from him, had had great plans for him. And so he set his sights on the woman.

She was the key to all of this...to Skywalker...and Skywalker was the key to his own plans. He needed her..needed the boy.

He had to reach her before the Emperor had a chance to sink his claws into her. If Palpatine had had his way, she would perhaps be another one of his Hands or some broodmare. Vader had no doubt that Palpatine intended to replace him with Skywalker eventually. Having their offspring--an endless supply of power--which he could control, had most likely been a part of his plan's all along.

Wouldn't it be ironic if that were to happen?

He looked over to his prisoner who walked resolutely next to him.

"It would be beneficial to cooperate with me, Ms. Jade." He tried again.

Mara's eyes snapped toward him.
    "I doubt that very much. You're no better than Palpatine." She said with clenched teeth.

Vader gave Mara an inscrutable look. "You are welcome to think so, but we - neither of us - have cause to wish your Rebel friends to be defeated and to fall into the Emperor's less than merciful clutches."

Mara frowned. She couldn't forget her main objective, besides reaching Luke. It would be the worse kind of failure and betrayal if her action or inaction led to harm to her friends/allies and the ruin of the Alliance.

She paused in her step and shot Vader a considering look. "Okay... I'm listening."

She finally said, her tone cautiously wary but at the least receptive.

Vader stifled an instant's worth of surprise and gratification for her capitulation.

"But first before we go any further, tell me what's in it for you." Mara said in a tone that communicated clearly that she would not budge on this point. Her cooperation was contingent upon information.

Vader grimaced inwardly. He should have known Mara would press for his motives rather than blindly going along.

"Because this galaxy deserves peace. It deserves stability." He informed her. " I had high dreams of that happening, but the Clone Wars dashed them--to be more precise Palpatine did. I was supposed to protect her but I failed. I failed to make the galaxy safe for her and our child."

He waited for Mara's response and was not disappointed when a wave of shock came over her.

"Child?" She managed.

"Yes, mine and Padme's, but I killed them both...or so I thought. The Emperor lied of this." He said this last part on a hiss.

"And what does this have to do with me? With the Alliance?"

"Because the child is the key. If Palpatine were to have his way, all would be therefore lost...again."

"Lost?" Mara asked, sharply. "You said earlier that Luke was under the Emperor's thrall, again, perhaps stronger than before." She rushed on before he could reply, her resolve in her voice and eyes: "I don't care if you just think so or if Luke is... I have to rescue him."

Vader seemed to regard her interestedly.

"If that is how you feel."

"Yes, it is." She said tightly.

He nodded, motioning her to keep walking with him. "Good, I would have expected no less. The boy chose well."

Mara wasn't sure whether to be flattered or insulted of being thought of in such a way.

"Thanks, I guess." She managed. "Now, how do we go about this? Yellow Eyes isn't going to let us near him so easily."

There was a spike of surprise from Vader.

She smiled saucily at his reaction.

"The Emperor believes that you are in love with Skywalker."

Mara noticed that Vader never further alluded to Luke being his child.
    "So?"

The turbolift door at the end of the hall slid open and Vader stepped inside the lift. Mara followed closely after. When the door closed, he turned back to her.
    "I believe we can use that knowledge to our advantage, Ms.Jade." Vader paused meaningfully. "Along with the fact that the Emperor is unaware of your Force-sensitivity."

Her eyes widened.

"One does not reveal one's hand so easily. "

"I see." She wrinkled her brow, pondering his words. "You think he'll let me near Luke because...Luke will turn me."

"Precisely."

"That will never happen." Mara stated, pausing herself. "But...I need to make him think it would."

"Correct."

She looked up at him with resolve in her eyes. "All right, I'll do it. But not for you."

*~*~

Meanwhile, Han and Leia had discovered Mara's absence upon their return from the brief meeting.

"She headed off in this direction." Leia said. "But who knows how far she went, and there'sno sign she came back?"

Upon questioning, R2 informed them that he hadn't been aware of Mara's return, either.

Threepio commented: "Perhaps she got captured by the native Ewoks. And I am not there to negotiate her release--oh dear! Who knows what might have happened!"

R2 tootled a reply.

"I am fluent in Ewokian!" Threepio retorted.

Han got the topic back on track.

"She took her weapons with her on her walk, as I recall." Han said. "There's no sign of a struggle either."

"So whatever happened it occurred before she came back here!" Leia said, her expression full of concern. "We need to run a sensor sweep from Home One. Doing it on the ground is too risky."

"You don't think she got it into her head to do something reckless?" Han asked.

"Like what?" Leia answered. "Besides, that's your specialty, hotshot."

He laughed and replied: "You know it, sweetheart."

Leia rolled her eyes and hid a smile of her own.
    She picked up the remote comm-transceiver and plugged it into R2. "Scramble this please, R2, so any Imperials won't be able to pinpoint the source?"

R2 booped an affirmative. The signal went through.

After a brief exchange, Leia frowned. "They were keeping track of our bio-signals and traced her to somewhere near an Imperial garrison, then nothing."

"Oh my!" Threepio exclaimed.

Han scowled. "Those are heavily shielded. She probably is inside the outpost. Was she so out of it that she lost track of where she was?"

"I think she probably went after Luke." Leia said. "That wasn't an innocent stroll she was taking, after all. I should have known."

Han shot her a look that said: "And you think I'm reckless?"

Leia felt a knot form in the pit of her stomach. "Attempting to rescue Mara adds a whole new complication to the main objective of taking down the shield generator, for personnel and completing the mission we were sent for." Leia said. "But we can't just leave her there, either."

"I'm straight out of ideas, for once." Han admitted, reluctantly.

Leia gave a contemplative look. "I think we'll have to let Mara handle this for now. Our main objective is the shield generator."

"All right, if you're sure."

"Not really but its our only option right now." She responded dejectedly.

+++++++++

Gemma, AzureAngel2 and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Why do all of the plans in the GFFA involve walking into the enemy's clutches? :rolleyes: Let's hope Mara can rescue Luke.

20. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    "I think she probably went after Luke." Leia said. "That wasn't an innocent stroll she was taking, after all. I should have known."

Han shot her a look that said: "And you think I'm reckless?"

Mara does top Han for reckless behaviour, she is after all a Jedi ;)

Mara knows the truth about daddy dearest, now they're working together to get Luke away from Palpatine's clutches and yet they're using each other. This should be interesting to see how it all turns out.

More soon

21. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Well, Luke did it first so of course Mara would follow course in this version.

Gemma and AzureAngel2 like this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Mara and Vader tag teaming against Palpy to save Luke. That'll be.. fascinating.

23. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Vader and Mara have one thing in common finally. They both love Luke in their own way & want him save!

Brilliant EU idea and jolly well written! =D=

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  24. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I agree this should be interesting with Mara and Vader working together --- I like how she played her hand out to Vader -- so he gave up info too.

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Note: A pivotal confrontation and turning point!

Tags for:

Briannakin Falcon Juliet316

EGKenobi Jedi_Lover Gemma

The Emperor stared at his pet.
    “Now, Skywalker, are you ready to fulfill your destiny?” Palpatine rasped.
    “Yes, Master.” Luke intoned, head bowed.
    The aged Sithlord smiled grimly.
    “I believe we might have a guest soon.”
    “I have felt her.” He murmured low.
    “Have you now?” An eyebrow raised then cackled. “It matters not…she will come and bring forth a new generation. Yes, she will suit my plans nicely. You will surpass Vader and become my right hand, and she…will be the brood to a new legacy.”
    Luke did not respond to this, leaving his head low.
    “Come, we must prepare for your love’s arrival.” He said mockingly. “She will soon see her dreams crushed to dust.”
    Luke finally spoke, “She will not go willingly, Master.”
    The Emperor smirked.
    “I had not anticipated she would…but I think this will be no feat for you.”
    He said nothing at first, but simply lifted his eyes and stared past his master.
    “I will break her.” He said, trancelike.
    A brittle cackle soon followed his words: the dry cough like the rattle of death.

The shield generator was sealed behind a blast-door. R2 plugged into the exterior door's computer socket and scanned for override codes. Once these were input, the strike team entered and took out the guards in a quick volley of blaster fire.

"Were they able to get off an alarm signal?" Leia asked.

"I don't think so. But let's slag the comm-board just in case." Han suggested.

A flurry of activity outside alerted them to trouble.

They exited hurriedly to find a squad of Rebels engaging stormtroopers with assistance from a bunch of Ewoks.

R2 tootled as 3PO emerged from behind a clump of nearby bushes.

"The leader of the Ewok troop says they've been lying low waiting for rescue from the stars. It appears there's some ancient prophecy at work." The droid related.

Leia frowned. "We need all the help we can get. I only hope Home One is making out as well."

Mara scowled to herself in perplexity as she and Vader made their way to the Emperor's Throne Room. She had no idea what Vader's explicit plans were, and how things would play out if things came to a crisis. Would he leave her twisting in the wind once he felt his own objective was reached?

And how definite was she anyway that she could get through to Luke? Perhaps the things he had claimed to feel for her had all been a sham, at the worst, or at the very least - expendable and less intense than her own feelings.

There was a lot riding on this bold move, Mara realized. A lot more than just her and Luke's future together.

The Alliance's victory versus defeat hung in the balances, as well.

For his part, Vader scrutinized Mara carefully as they made their way through the phalanx of Royal Guards to the throne room. Her outward calm masked a tumultuous jumble of emotions, but she was determined and resolute. He felt a begrudging admiration for her fortitude.

He touched the door release and strode purposefully into Palpatine's audience chamber, Mara close behind.

Mara and Vader entered the audience chamber, with the Jedi trailing behind him. Decked out in her camouflage outfit, her wrists cuffed in front, with measuring eyes, she looked very much like the defiant rebel misfit the Emperor assumed her to be. She cast her glance up and her eyes fell upon the dais. She could barely make him out but she saw him, an aging figure in a hooded cowl. She tried not to project her loathing.
    Mara glanced at Vader’s back briefly as she followed his lead, crossing the bridge which hung precariously above what appeared to be a reactor core. She almost laughed. Seriously, what sort of idiot put a reactor core in their chamber? It was almost as stupid as leaving a two meter opening in the middle of a massive station of death.
    Now’s not the time. She chided herself, snapping out of her private joke. Vader had already made it to the stairs and was beginning to mount them. She followed suit and tried to keep pace with him. He didn’t slow down but she could feel him making sure she was keeping up. Not through the Force though. As far as Mara knew, Vader was holding Mara’s ability close to his vest. They needn’t tip the Emperor off and that was fine with her.
    When she and Vader finally made it atop the dais to face the Emperor on his throne, Mara caught sight of something that made her heart almost stop and her breath still.

It was Luke.
    He was kneeling beside the Emperor, not out in front, but to the side with eyes cast downward. It was as if he was some dog awaiting his master’s command. The image was further cemented by a gnarled hand laid on the man’s bowed head. Mara could barely see Luke’s eyes, but she did see a brief glimpse of them when he flicked them upwards.
    They were vacant. Dead.
    This time, her heart went cold in her chest.

Luke...

She took an involuntary step forward, a choked exclamation almost escaping her.

"Lord Vader," The Emperor rasped, "Are you bringing me a new trophy?"

Vader's voice was as cold as the deepest glaciers on Hoth. "What my purposes were in coming here, Your Majesty, I shall keep to myself." He gave Luke a measuring, contemptuous look. "Your invaluable Hand is little more responsive than a deactivated droid. He is of little use to anyone in this deplorable state."

"What I do with my servants is no concern of yours." Palpatine snarled. He leveled a glare at Mara who had barely collected herself. She met his odious look straight on. He cackled. "This one has spirit, my Hand." He commented to Luke, who had barely seemed to be aware of what was going on, or even of the undercurrents in the chamber.

Luke's eyes finally settled on Mara, with barely a hint of recognition.

"What have you done to him?" Mara said, barely registering that she had spoken.
    "Done?" Palpatine parroted. "I have done nothing. A wayward child has simply seen the error of his ways."
    She faught back the urge to yell at the man.
    "Not him. He would never break so easily."

The Emperor let out a raucous cackle, clearly laughing at Mara's blind faith.
    "He was broken way before you came into the picture, child." He curled his fingers on the arm rest, then pushed himself steadily upward. "He will do as I command--as always. And if I commanded him to kill you, he would."
    Mara stiffened. Not because of the thought of death, but the reality of how twisted the man was to inflict such suffering on Luke.
    "But that is not in my plans...I have greater ambitions for you."
    She went cold, a feeling of dread snaking through her.
    Mara didn't like the sound of that at all--but she tamped down her feelings lest the Emperor be able to sense them.
    "What're you talking about?" She demanded firmly, eyes narrowing.
    He chuckled, ignoring her question. "You are meant for far greater...." Palpatine paused for a moment then concluded, "Ms. Jade." He said it almost as if he had plucked it from her mind.

Yet, Mara suddenly arrived at a different conclusion, altogether. The Emperor had gotten that bit of information from Luke! Perhaps as early as her "rescue"/escape... She had believed Luke when he declared his love for her, with actions and words. But perhaps he'd been playing her, toying with her for his own dark amusement and the Emperor's own despiccable goals!
    Her blood seethed. Never, ever again. She vowed. She'd never be so gullible.

Vader, for his part, was watching and listening behind his inscrutable mask.
    A broken Luke ... no! That did not fit in with his plans, at all. He stifled a scowl. This changed everything.
    He cast Mara a sideways glance. It would not do anyone any good if she succumbed to the anger he could feel roiling beneath her outer calm.
    He had no illusions that the Emperor wanted her capitulation and participation in some scheme to populate the next generation of Force users - Sith-centric Force users.

Mara's outrage would lead her to forget her friends and her lofty goals of the restoration of peace and liberation for the peoples of the Galaxy.

Palpatine drummed his fingers against the arm rest then turned to Luke.
    “Rise, my pet.” He gleefully rasped.
    He knew he had to change the flow of this moment, but all he could do was watch as it slowly unfolded.

Luke pushed himself up from his kneeling position “Yes, My Master.” He murmured, very trance-like.
    Mara could only watch emotionlessly, a cold feeling like ice sliding through her body. She clenched and unclenched her fists. Time seemed to stand still.
    She didn’t know what to do, all she felt was a torrent of emotion rolling through her, crashing inside. She was cold and hot all at once.
    Mara felt dread at the reality of it all of where it had left them all. Had she doomed the Alliance through loving such a man?

Skywalker is not to blame…
    Mara almost jerked at the voice in her head. It was Vader.
    Who is? She thought desperately.
    If Luke was not the kind of person who could betray her, because she felt deep-down that he had meant all that had passed between them, she could feel angry because of his not being strong enough to resist the Emperor's machinations.
    “You misunderstand.” He said allowed, startling her.

Time started to move forward again, as Vader took control of the situation.
    What was he doing?

"You think to trick me." Rasped the Emperor. "You think I do not know when I'm being deceived. You plan to rule in my place...but without Skywalker your plan is for naught."
    "What?" Mara said.
    Vader felt a cold, startled chill go through him. Somehow...he'd known he'd felt it.
    "Yes, you knew didn't you. You sensed it." The Sith lord said gleefully. "It was but an easy task to keep the child hidden from you. Obi-Wan and Yoda thought they could hide them from me."
    "Them?" Mara was ignored once again.
    "Twins.." He offered. "Separated at birth...but twins none the less. She will soon see her rebellion crushed to dust...and you will have seen the completion of it." He leveled this at both Mara and Vader.

"She will soon know despair when her only brother destroys all she holds dear."

Mara was still unable to process the Emperor's words. Her Luke.was Vader's son...and Leia...his daughter, Impossible. Improbable. Her mind reeled.
    Wait...I can't do this now. I have to focus, have to get Luke back.

The Emperor's plan wouldn't succeed if Luke were out of his grasp. She had to reach her lover.
    All the while, Luke knelt hearing but unable to voice any words beyond his Master’s deamnds. He felt trapped in his own body, completely terrified yet unable to free himself. Sister…Father… He blinked slowly, focusing his gaze upon the red-haired siren that had ensnared his heart and surely still did. Mara. He thought, but couldn’t do anything more.
    Was this what he had become in the end? Nothing but the Emperor’s docile pet? He hadn’t wanted this! He avoided it at all costs. He served the Empire not the Emperor himself regardless of what the man thought. He focused on Mara once more.
    But…what did she think?

Mara decided it was best to give the Emperor what he would doubtless not be expecting.

Taking a long stride forward, Mara laughed boldly. "If you think I have any interest in that limp rag of a minion," she goaded, "You're sadly mistaken. And if you think that I'd even think for a split second to bring your filthy Sithspawn into the galaxy - you're sadly deluded." Her disgust was unfeigned towards the Emperor. She winced at the thought that Luke seemed so far out of it that he didn't realize she was defying the Emperor for a reason, that her antipathy towards Luke was just for show. Apparently, Vader was also taken off guard.
    She could feel Vader's incredulous eyes upon her as if to say loud and clear: "What are you doing?"
    Trust me. She sent the thought to him, not in so many words but conveying the request nonetheless.

Palpatine gawked at Mara in undisguised approval. He liked an adversary with fire, made their downfall that much sweeter.

"So, Luke," Mara turned to face Luke straight-on, "Tooka got your tongue? Maybe you don't care about me or the rest of the Alliance, but you certainly cannot sit idly by and watch your sister be destroyed!"

She braced herself. Hopefully, that last dig would suffice...?

Mara. It wasn't true. It's NOT true. He insisted, trying to reach her.
    Luke could have started at her audacity. He felt the loathing in her words--and the challenge as well.
    She must've thought him such a pet...a pawn. But he was no one's pawn.No one's pet. And certainly not anyone's tool.
    Not Vader's and certainly not the Emperor's.
    "Mara...it's not true." He finally said, finding his tongue at last.

He felt Mara reach back, breaking into his consciousness.
    Good. She seemed to say. I thought you had more starch in your spine than that. There was a biting playfulness. Now, c'mon, Luke. I can't do this without you.

Luke was not beaten by far. He gave a silent assurance.
    Pushing through the fog that was his mind, he reached out for her tendril of Force energy-a power that burned brightly and so fiery. Upon, touching her, his consciousness broke through the prison of his mind.

++++++

:cool: A post with real umph [face_laugh]