main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT Crossing Enemy Lines-- AU. (L/M, etc) Complete: 01/16/16.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    /\/\/\ Still it could cause problems. You have a healthy man drop dead. Even if it looked like natural causes I would order a full autopsy and toxicology. Until those come through I would question all new acquisitions as to their location when the General died. I would see if there were holocam video of the crime scene. I would download the logs of every droid in the vacinity. If Luke gave the guy an aneurism he probably wouldn't get caught, but the death could cause a temporary lockdown. I assume Rebels are a paranoid bunch.

SiouxFan and Jade_eyes like this.
  2. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Already sorted out and almost finished

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

3. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    I agree with the rest. This is stupid move, because if he kills Madine, he will be the first, who gets under suspicion, given the fact that he is new here.

4. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    So it's undisputed agreement that Luke made a stupid movement, frankly I would have to agree. (yes, even though I wrote it) The next part should be up soon. Possibly by tomorrow. JE and I were just on a roll.

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    And we all know that Luke NEVER makes stupid decisions...except for Byss, and Callista, and jumping into Waru or maybe sending teens on a suicide mission, letting his son join GAG with his cousin that was never screened or treated for PTSD and let us not forget that Luke had a hot looking redhead that saved his life and he did not pursue her romantically. Other than all that, Luke doesn't make stupid decisions.

SiouxFan likes this.
  6. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Hey, so technically he's in character LOL

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] JL and Emerald!!! :oops: The worst of those blunders was Callista and not pursuing Mara romantically. No wonder I love fics where the first doesn't happen and the second does. [face_love]

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, I would say you are spot on. :p

9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Luke! You bad boy!

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi all: Thanks for the lively bak-and-forth and reviews. :) EJF and I streamlined and saved Luke's bacon [face_laugh]

Tagging:

Briannakin

JediFalcon

Jedi_Lover

SHADOW_MASTER_W

~~~~~

Just as he spoke the words, by luck of the draw, fate seemed to reward him. A loud commotion broke out at the end of the hall and Luke’s words were promptly drowned out. To make it even better, Madine had turned away from Luke to face the pilots who had been talking loudly and horse-playing.

“Soldiers!” He snapped. “ Have some decorum for kriff’s sake; this isn’t a playground. Don’t you have somewhere to be right now?”

The pilots saw him, froze and issued, “Sorry, General,” before leaving the area.

Luke grabbed a hold of his emotions and shoved them to the way side. His hard stare relaxed, turning to the soft clear blue. When Madine turned back to face him, he was in check once more.

“I’m sorry, Skywalker, the excitement of the victory is going to everyone’s head it appears. Now, you were saying you had a problem.”

He shook his head.

“It’s nothing, General, just some minor qualms about the state of my X-wing is all.” He tilted his head. “I was just wondering if it’s usual for an X-wing tech to make an oversight like that. It’s been…” He bit his lip. “...bothering me. If I didn't know better I'd think it was sabotage, at the worst, or incompetence, which I cannot believe."

“Sabotage, huh?” Madine mulled over this. “Don’t you worry; we have people looking into it.”

“All right.” He looked off to the side, the crowd had disappeared.

“Everyone is heading to the grand hall for the ceremony. I think we should too.”

“You’re right.” He responded. “After you, General.”

Madine nodded and turned away from him.

After watching Madine for a few moments, Luke followed after the man. He and the general walked in total silence neither man saying a word.

Given the circumstances, he really couldn’t afford to throw any more suspicion on himself. He knew that begging off for a second bathroom break would be noted as would any other excuse he might make. The distraction by the pilots had saved him; he had let his emotions get the better of him and had almost jeopardized his entire mission.

He could say it was because of his frustration with the inept technician who’d cleared him, or the failure of his mission, or even Palpatine’s constant haranguing. No, no matter what excuse he made, all were just that, mere excuses; scapegoats for his own inadequacy. It had been because he was unable to control himself and contain his volatile temper that he had almost blown his cover. He had forgotten every teaching the old lord had taught, and nearly destroyed his own future.

He would make sure it never happened again.

The hallways were empty as he and Madine made their way toward the ceremony. He would wager that the whole base was probably already there—and by the sound of the trumpets blaring away a second later, he confirmed that the ceremony had just started. The smuggler Solo would probably be given a medal, for rescuing the princess and aiding in the destruction of the Death Star. Darklighter would also be there to receive accolades.

A thought then occurred to him.

“General, wasn’t there another party besides Solo who went on to save the princess; Ms. Jade?”

Madine turned to him. “I believe so.” He frowned

Luke cautiously made his way to the side entrance. He looked over the scores of soldiers, techs, and other personnel from his spot on the sidelines.

“Then why isn’t she also up there?”

The general blinked, processing Skywalker’s query, and then stepped up beside the young man. He quickly scanned the crowd and didn’t see the Jade woman anywhere, but when he swept the crowd again he found her standing near the back with the techs, passively watching the ceremony.

The red-head was hard to miss in a sea of brown, black and blond.

“I don’t know,” Madine mumbled. “But we can’t help that right now, the ceremony’s already started and I’m due at the front.” He ordered, “Take your place with the pilots, Skywalker.”

Madine then made his way to where the officers were standing.

Luke followed Madine’s lead and slowly made it over to where the pilots were standing. He stepped in behind Wedge, murmuring a low apology for his tardiness. Princess Leia Organa was currently making some impassioned speech about valor and sacrifice.

Leia smiled at Mon Mothma's suggestion.

"Thank you. I'd be honored to present the medals."

Mon Mothma's glance took in Solo and Darklighter.

"They really were invaluable to us and our cause." She commented.

Leia scowled. "I'm sure that Solo hopes for some kind of tangible reward."

She silently added that she hoped he wouldn't cause a spectacle.

She had to admit he looked very dashing, however.

Although, that was completely irrelevant.

Do I really want to be part of this? Han grumped to himself. He wasn't in for long, eloquent speeches by those who enjoyed hearing themselves talk. Nor was he used to being the center of attention.

Chewie was not as forthrightly not looking forward to the whole ordeal. Being very accepting of it, as a matter of fact. Comes with the whole altruistic bit, he supposed.

Han wouldn't mind it, however, if the so unflappable Leia Organa wanted to thank him personally, although he doubted she would ever stoop to such a thing.

Mara had politely declined being one of the medal recipients. She wasn't instrumental in bringing down the enormous and formidable space station, as had Solo and Darklighter.

Leia and Mon Mothma were going to make speeches before presenting the medals.

"I hope this is not going to take too long." she muttered.

Mara was dressed in a pastel-colored blouse and gray slacks. Very utilitarian and comfortable.

She noticed one of the pilots, Wedge? Glancing her way appreciatively after that last comment.

Wedge, who was close enough and standing with the pilots, had indeed overheard.

"I, too, hope this won't take too long." He smirked. Mara Jade was a looker. No wonder Luke couldn't keep his eyes from her.

Mon Mothma, mercifully, did make her speech about heroics and freedom from oppression short and to the point.

Then Leia stepped up to present medals to Darklighter and Solo and his co-pilot.

Wedge watched the subtle nonverbals between the lovely and elegant Leia Organa and the suave Captain. The Captain had actually winked at Leia, and although she tried to glower, her lips had definitely turned up in a begrudging smile.

Unless he missed his guess, there was some unconscious sparks starting there.

Suddenly, there was a soft, surreptitious step as someone slipped in beside him.

“Sorry, I’m late,” A voice said.

Wedge turned to look at Luke.

“What took you so long?”

“I was talking to Madine, voicing my concerns about the fighter I was given,” He let a note of frustration enter his voice. “…took longer than I thought.”

“Ah, any resolution?” He murmured quietly, focusing part way on the stage.

“He says they’re looking into it.” A sigh.

He spotted Mara out of the corner of his eyes, on the other side of Wedge. “Hello, Mara.”

Mara smirked. “Nice of you to join us, Skywalker.”

“Of course. I wouldn’t miss it.” He smiled congenially.

“Then don’t you think it’s better if you have your eyes forward.”

He chuckled at her sarcastic remark and turned to face forward. The princess was concluding the ceremony, thanking each and every person there for their valiant efforts and encouraging they remain strong in the continuing battle against the Empire. Mon Mothma dismissed them and everyone began to file out in an orderly fashion, beginning at the back.

Luke broke rank slightly and stepped up beside Mara.

“Great ceremony, huh.” He said conversationally.

She smiled in return. “It was, now if only someone had been on time.”

“I made it just on time.” He countered pleasantly.

Underneath the surface irritation spiked. He shoved it aside

“So, what about that drink we talked about?”

On the edge of his peripheral, he was vaguely aware of Wedge, Hobbie, and Wes watching them. He knew later he’d probably be harassed to divulge all.

“Actually I believe you were the one who was talking about a drink.” She said with another smirk.

Luke waited patiently.

Mara smiled. Her work was finished, and Luke was interesting to her because he seemed to hold a great deal of confidence and poise, but he wasn't overly pushy with it. And he certainly was the best looking of the pilots. Those clear blue eyes reflected all his moods: challenging, thoughtful, and flirtatious.

They made their way over to the bar and ordered fizzy drinks.

"How'd you like helping out with the techs?" Luke asked.

Mara replied: "I was glad to have something useful to do that fit in with what I know how to do. There's nothing worse than feeling like you're only being included out of courtesy and then relegated to some trivial task. I know you were looking forward to showing your piloting skills." She shrugged in sympathy.

"Yes, well, I have to admit that malfunction was odd; even a bit troubling." Luke answered honestly. "It makes me question this whole operation frankly—a shoddy oversight like that.” He sighed heavily, and twirled the straw in his drink absentmindedly.

He thought back to his Master for a brief moment.

No doubt Palpatine felt the same frustration and dubiousness about him, and he couldn’t afford to push the Emperor's infamously short fuse any more than he had today.

The Emperor had no tolerance for anything that even hinted at ineptitude.

He shook it off and changed topics.

“So, you like it here so far. Everyone is treating you well?”

Mara nodded. “Yes, everything’s going well.” She did some reflection of her own, smiling. “I have to admit there certainly is an interesting mix of personalities in this group. I like Leia, and Solo and the other pilots seem decent enough."

Luke grimaced. "Wes and Hobbie ... even on short acquaintance, I can tell they're ... eternal pranksters. I have a feeling I’ll be pressed to “kiss and tell” after this.”

Mara sighed. "Just so they don't make me the brunt of one of their jokes, I'll be happy enough."

“Don’t worry, I’ll protect your good name.” He said jokingly.

“Is that so?”

They studied each other. He noticed the area was mostly empty and could feel a sudden heaviness settling over him. It took him a moment but he finally realized what it was; his body was slowing down.

He was tired.

"Looks like everyone’s gone.” He commented. “I guess we'd better turn in too. Who knows what will be on the agenda for tomorrow."

"Probably strategy meetings or some such." Mara replied. "Those will probably run long, to make up for the interminable speeches we didn't have to listen to tonight."

He chuckled.

“I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Guess so.”

SHADOW_MASTER_W likes this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Mara doesn't get a medal? Her and Chewie are both dissed. I never understood why Chewie didn't get a medal. He was up there on the stage and he is forgotten. That growl before the credits was probably him saying, "What the Hell! Where's my medal!"

Nice update!

Jade_eyes likes this.
  12. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Mara declined. And I was about to say. That's all you got out of the chapter lol

13. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I guess the Force did Luke a favor. And I bet Mara was wondering where Luke was to make him late. :p

Jedi_Lover and Jade_eyes like this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    The Rebels are different from the US Military. I never knew I was going to get a medal until I got it. And I was never allowed to decline the ceremony (that would embarrass the senior officers). Even if you do get out of the ceremony and refuse to accept the medal it is usually in your records. And yes, I stopped reading after that point. ;)

Jade_eyes likes this.
  15. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    You mean you didn't read the rest :eek::confused:

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Sure. I was so upset at the apparent sexism and human-centric discrimination within the Rebel Alliance that I quit reading out of protest and then I took my military medals and threw them on the steps of the US Capital Building to dramatize my support for women and alien rights and demand that the glass ceiling for these subjugated members of society be removed.

:rolleyes:

No, I didn't stop reading. I like Jade_eyes too much to do that. o_O I don't want her to stop liking me.

SiouxFan and Jade_eyes like this.
  17. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Ok I thought not. I was sure I misunderstood something. I really cant take a joke. Gees that's pretylty bad

Jade_eyes and Jedi_Lover like this.
  18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I even put in ;);) the little winking guys to help you out. You remind me of one of my Army roommates. She couldn't understand The Far Side. You ever try to explain The Far Side to someone?

Me: "Okay, you see these cows standing and talking like humans. Then one cow says 'Car!'. They go to all fours and eat grass. When the car is gone they get back up on two legs and start talking again. Don't you get it?"

My roommate: "No...why would cows be talking? And if they could talk why would they stop when they saw a car?"

Me: "Arrrgggghhhhh!"

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] Loved the cow joke. =D=

20. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Even id get that come on. Give me a little more credit . And in my defense of not getting it. I was up àll bight. Didn't sleep. One wink

Jade_eyes likes this.
  21. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Great update.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  22. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I have a question, where is Vader in all of this or was he killed early on?

More soon

23. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    That's a very good question. Vader hasn't had a big part at the moment. He will of course

24. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I don't know, most of the General's I've met (okay, I've only met two) see and hear more than you think...they wouldn't make General if they didn't.

Is it just me, or did their conversation seem a bit...forced? (Or is that Forced?)

25. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Not sure how you're hearing that. I trey to avoid writing forced dialogue

Jade_eyes likes this.