main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT Crossing Enemy Lines-- AU. (L/M, etc) Complete: 01/16/16.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Hmm, I wonder how long the truce will last...

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Hopefully nothing goes wrong at dinner (like say a certain Sith Lord showing up or something)

Ahsoka_Tano_11 and Jade_eyes like this.
  3. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Somebody please stop all the innuendos or we're going to have to get JL another cold shower! ;)

So....who's spying on who? The Empire already has a spy keeping track of what Leia is doing on Adumar (Luke), so it doesn't make sense to have an electronic plant, it was the Adumaris idea to meet at a neutral location, and you haven't introduced any third parties...have you? ***checks back***

Yep, my paranoia is ratcheting up some more...thanks.

4. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Its not my fault. Lol you'll see...Okay, correction...still more intrigue..things didn't go as I planned lol

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Tags:

Briannakin

Ahsoka_Tano_11

Juliet316

Jedi_Lover

JediFalcon

SHADOW_MASTER_W

Jade Note: This chapter deepens the mystery somewhat and also advances the countermeasure. ;)

They had left promptly after their brief meeting to join the Adumarian delegation in the salon of the Rogue Defender. Leia took the seat next to Ambassador Elan, while Han sat next to her.

A large man had taken his seat at Elan’s left; he was tall, well-muscled with dark brown hair and grey eyes. Luke made no movement to seat himself. It was Mara’s turn; taking it upon herself, she strode over and took a seat next to the man. Luke was the last one to sit down; he had chosen not to sit close to the woman but across from her on the other end of the table.

Mara noted no one else from Elan’s party was joining them. It only appeared to be her and the lone...bodyguard?

Leia also seemed to have noticed this.

“No one else from your party is joining us?” Leia asked.

“No, I prefer a minimalist approach.” She said, raising her glass to be filled with wine. “Most of the people joining me were… bodyguards more than anything else. Aside from myself,” She took a delicate sip, looking to the dark-haired man. “Nikolai is the only personnel required at this moment. He is a captain of my personal retinue.”

“A captain?” Leia repeated, waving off the wine as it came around. “Military?”

“No, Ma’am. Security.”

“Nikolai is being modest. His family is known for its military background; not to mention it’s hand in politics.”
    Leia noticed that the captain was served a different type of wine then the rest of the table. He picked it up and swirled it before tasting it briefly.

“Thank you, Ambassador.” He said then put down his glass. “For this mission though, I am here on the governor’s behalf and to see all goes well without a hitch.” He looked at the princess meaningfully. “I am here to add my input and to observe these proceedings to their completion.”

Elan smiled, hiding it behind her glass. She obviously thought she had been discrete, but Luke caught it.

“He will, of course, be attending tomorrow’s meeting.” Elan informed.

“Of course.” Leia bowed her head slightly. “It’s a pleasure Captain Nikolai…” She hesitated; well aware she didn’t have his last name.

“Verdere. Nikolai Vedere.”

“As in Governor Los Vedere?”

“That’s correct.” He offered nothing more.

Elan sighed heavily. “The Governor is his father.” She smiled ingratiatingly, her eyes scanning over the table. “Nikolai prefers his family ties not to influence people’s perceptions of him.” She turned up her chin up a centimeter, her green eyes in the light as she turned his way.

Taking up the challenge, Luke smiled tightly. “It is important to be judge by your own abilities.” he said agreeably. “Versus your family’s background—but a bit of background doesn’t hurt.”

“Agreed.” She murmured.

The door to the far side opened and three servers came out with dinner being pushed on small hovercarts. That had been fast, Luke mused silently. Fast and efficient. Ambassador Elan certainly knew what was important. She obviously wanted to get the meal out of the way quickly, so she could focus on other things. Truth be told, so would he. There was little he could do when their minds were all preoccupied with food.

He studied her intently as she graciously thanked the server. He noticed that she didn’t take time to seek him out; almost as if she was afraid she’d been found out.

The meal went off without a hitch, they all exchanged comments of pleasantry while they ate. Han commented on Elan’s ship and she encouraged him to have a look around with one of her staff. An open invitation as if to say, ‘look around I have nothing to hide’. Clever. He noted that the ambassador ate minimally and drank only what was required at such a meeting.

He had to give her props for that. She shied away from deliberately impairing herself with liquor. Solo had indulged himself in Elan’s food as well as her drinks. He frowned inwardly, if she didn’t know they had found out about the tracker, she was certainly doing a good job to impede any progress they would make.

“So, I hear you’re an ace fighter pilot,” she said, directing her statement obviously at Luke.

“Well, I wouldn’t say ace, Ambassador,” Luke said as he placed his napkin on the table. “Good, but certainly not an ace; I guess you can say piloting is in my blood.” He tried to downplay his skills as much as possible. He poured forth the modesty into his voice. “I’m sure there are others more qualified than I that have been with the Alliance longer.”

“And yet you were chosen to come on this mission.” She pointed out. “Obviously Princess Organa has much confidence.” She looked at him pointedly.

He tipped the side of his mouth up, tilting his head. “You have me there, Ambassador.”

She gave him a glance under her lashes, a very inscrutable one.
    “Please, call me Elan.” She finally said, her voice warm, but her eyes still watchful.

Luke’s eyes widened in surprise.
    “All right,” he said, regaining his composure. “Elan, it is.”

Mara watched these proceedings between Elan and Luke carefully. She knew it was part of the overall game plan, but she was picking up subtle undercurrents beneath the words, in the expression and tone of voice.

She caught Han's eye as the party at the table broke up.

"She said we could look around." He told her, falling into step beside her. "How convenient is that?"

Mara chuckled, watching Luke and Elan move to a secluded corner near a viewport behind a decorative plant--she couldn't tell if it was real or artificial from this distance.

“Luke will work on Elan and we’ll work on splicing into the system and figure out how to redirect that tracker.” Mara said.

“Sounds good.” His eyes followed Mara’s. “He certainly made an impression on the ambassador.” He said, smirking. “Can’t blame the guy though; I mean, with the way that woman looks, he’d be dumb not to play his hand now.”

“Oh, cut the shavit, Han.” Mara scowled.

“What?”

“You think I’m jealous of that woman.” Mara accused.

“Are you?”

She looked aside, muttering, “No,” before bringing her head back around. “There’s nothing between Luke and me for me to be jealous anyway.”

Mara didn't know what to feel when she stated that last: regret? Was it true on her end? She frowned. Now wasn't the time to think of such things.

“Heh, yeah right.” Han answered, in disbelief.

Mara glared at him, clearly annoyed.

"Well, I guess there goes your romantic notions," Mara said triumphantly, "She just beckoned Leia over to joint them."

Han shrugged it off. “So, Jade, are you ready to go…take a look around?” Han asked.

“Yeah, but she said with her staff.” Mara pointed out.

Han cursed, suddenly remembering.

“Yeah, my sentiments exactly.”

"Let's take a brief tour then for about a half-hour to 45 minutes, then we'll say we want to turn in for the night."

"Then make our way to the control center and do the splicing?"

"Sounds like a plan."

It was three hours later when they met up.
    They headed toward the control center, making sure that the corridors were nearly deserted or that they presented a casual demeanor to any passersby.

They had the trusty R2 in tow for technical aid and to serve as a cursory lookout, until needed.

"I'll be comming Leia a message when we've completed the programming." Han told Mara.

Mara and Han had been situated for a couple hours at a side-panel, while R2 provided a screen as to surveillance.

From what Mara grasped, it was something wherein subroutines masked their true import and data-bytes seemed to be in one place one moment but if a deep scan, they would actually appear elsewhere, so that a tech would conclude he/she had seen something illusory.

Han said when they finished: "Now, to test it out ..."

"No cold runs, or sims," Mara observed.

He shot her a grin. "No, right in the thick of the action."

She laughed. "Just how you like it."

"Nothing much gets past you Jade."

"Hmmm. I knew that much about you pretty much right away."

Luke turned his head to the side and glanced at Leia standing on the other side of the ambassador.

When the other two people in their party had dispersed, the three of them had ventured to the portside observation window that looked out upon space. Elan had invited the Princess to join them as well. He had to give it to her; she certainly was making all the right moves. Or maybe she was just who she said she was.

It didn’t matter. It would not hinder his plans.

Elan briefly looked to Leia then to Luke. “I really do appreciate your coming here.” She thanked the princess. “You could have easily turned down our offer to meet out here. We wouldn’t have blamed you if we had.”

“It’s our pleasure; we must do all we can to help each other out. The Alliance greatly appreciates your cooperation and aid.”

“Yes, but there is no greater foe for both of us than the current one, is there?” She glanced briefly at Luke. “Forgive me, but I couldn’t remember your name earlier.”

“It’s Luke.”

She touched her forehead as if thinking. “Skywalker. That was it. Luke Skywalker.” She turned to him. “You really shouldn’t sell yourself short.” She lifted a hand to her mouth.

Luke almost narrowed his eyes at the sentence.

Had that been deliberate? Or was he just inferring things that weren’t really there?

He smiled disarmingly as if to say “what’re you gonna do”.

“Yes, I suppose we all have our own petty grievances,” He laid his hand against the window, letting his shoulders sag. “I try not to let mine bother me; life tends to be too short to worry about such thing.”

“That’s very admirable.”

“Thank you.” He leaned against a nearby bulkhead. “But I prefer not to talk about myself at the moment; there are other things far too more important than myself.”

A comlink went off as he finished speaking.

“Oh, excuse me, Madame Ambassador,” Leia excused herself. “Yes, Leia here.” Leia frowned. “I see. I’ll be “ She turned to Elan. “Please excuse me once more; it seems our little R2 unit is acting up.”

“I hope it’s nothing serious.”

“Probably not, but I’d better go nonetheless, Captain Solo isn’t the most patient dealing with droids and I fear he may try to do harm to poor Artoo.”

“Very well. I will see you tomorrow then.”

Leia nodded and disappeared from sight.

Luke watched the princess depart, very much doubting that it had anything to do with R2 and the ex-smuggler and everything to do with Mara and Han’s work. He turned to eye Elan, noticing she had focused her gaze on space outside. She was fighting with the cuff of her tunic. He had noticed her dress earlier but hadn’t had time to examine it. She had switched from a stately gown to a smart burgundy tunic and grey pants. Suitable for the evening. He had a feel she was a woman that got into the thick of things.

“You don’t have to stay with me if you don’t want.” She said, eyes fixed on him. “One might think you stayed for nefarious reasons” She chuckled. “You’re obviously here for some reason, I would have a reason why…or do you not trust me?”

He studied her with critical eyes. Yes, he decided with finality, it was most indeed an “act”.

All right, he’d play along.

“Trust?” He raised an eyebrow. “The thought had crossed my mind.”

“Yet, you go along with their plans.”

“It’s not right to question my superiors. I am but a lone cog, Ambassador.”

Her lip twitched. “Out of all people to be…paranoid I would expect that from Captain Solo. I sense that he is a very distrustful individual. Is he always like that?”

Instead of answering her question, he smirked slightly. “You certainly do ask a lot of questions.”

“I like to get to know my allies.” She responded smoothly her hand rested near his. “I also noticed for a man who is so distrustful, you seem to want to stick around me…and not ask a lot of questions. “

Luke could see in his peripheral vision Elan edging closer.

As she did Luke caught the whiff of something that he hadn’t noticed before. Perfume. It floated past his nostrils; a mixture of spice and floral scent. It was an odd arrangement, but that was enough for him to train his nose to its particular fragrance.

It was a scent that half induced him to vomit.

He could not forget it.

_____

:cool:

6. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Hmm.. Curiouser and curiouser.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  8. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I see you caught up! Good good so glad

Ahsoka_Tano_11 likes this.
  9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hmm. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  10. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Now I'm wondering what the perfume has induced him to remember.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  11. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I'm so glad that this part his brought about curiosity

12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Interesting!

13. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Jade Note: Did mega-tweaking and brainstorming. Elan+Nikolai -- woohoo! All Emerald =D= =D=

Tags:

Ahsoka_Tano_11

Briannakin

ginchy

JediFalcon

Jedi_Lover

Juliet316

SHADOW_MASTER_W

If anyone wants on/off the tag-list, just ask.

____________~~~~~~

Luke excused himself from Elan’s company on the pretense that he was starting to feel tired. She graciously nodded and murmured something about enjoying his stay. He snorted. As if this was some sort of five star cruise.

He headed directly to his stateroom, not wanting to draw attention to himself despite what he had just discovered. The question was now, what to do with the information he had just found out. He palmed the keycard and used it to access the room. When he stepped inside he took a look around then after a moment, slipped the card back into his pocket. Luke knew there was no way he could possibly tell the others what he had learned. To do so would only reveal his identity to them and blow his cover.

Especially if the Rebels find out who Elan really was.

There would be far too many questions.

He sighed. He would have to wait it out. Perhaps even deal with the woman himself. Nothing serious, of course.

The possible harm coming to an ambassador would arouse suspicion in her entourage. Not that she would be easy to get the drop on anyhow.

He dropped down on the bed, remembering that condescending way she voiced about selling himself short. The Princess Organa hadn’t been able to detect it, but he had. The witch.

If she was here, no doubt it was a trap.

What was she doing there anyway? He pondered this.

He knew he could have easily confronted Elan there right then and there, but Luke figured it was better to keep it to himself. He would be able to catch her off guard later.

After all, it was better to hold your cards close to your vest than to reveal your hand.

Stifling a yawn, he finally deemed himself truly tired and ready to sleep.

Mara was a mid-morning riser. She liked to get her day started early, but not at the literal first rays of daylight. However, being all keyed up made her awaken early and she decided to go to the observation lounge. Incidentally, it was the very one Luke had been to the prior day to watch the nearby nebula.

Upon entering the lounge, she heard low murmured voices. Tourists, she thought. Mara stopped short, her breath catching in her throat.

Ambassador Elan stood at the viewport, but she wasn’t facing the nebula, in fact she wasn’t even paying attention to it. Perhaps it was because of her current companion. The governor’s son was standing beside her with his hand resting low on her back. He was looking at her with a mixture of concern and longing.
    What were they doing here?

It was obvious they thought they were quite literally alone and unobserved. She strained her ears, hoping to catch what they were saying.

“You worry far too much.” Nikolai was chiding her.

“I think not. He’s smarter than you think.”

“But he didn’t recognize you.”

“I’ve masked my presence carefully…and while my eyes are eye-catching, they’re no dead giveaway.”

“What about…” He raised his hand and wiggled his fingers.

“That’s what I meant by masking my presence, Nikolai.” Their fingers had now become entwined. “He would have never anyway, it would blow his cover—but there’s no sense in not having insurance.” She paused briefly. “I threw out enough barbs to keep his suspicion at bay, but I fear he may come nosing around again—he always managed to do that.” She could hardly keep the irritation out of her voice.

“So there’s no love lost?”

Elan frowned visibly. “What?”

“You just seemed to stare at him a great deal.”

She smiled slyly, parroting, “You worry far too much.” She slipped into his arms. “I’m just playing with him. It’s all a part of the plan.” As she said this, Nikolai tightened his arms around her body, pulling her to him in a heated embrace.

I just hope he doesn’t smarten up too soon.

Mara glided away even more silently than she had come. She had to alert the others. There was no denying it now, there was definitely a conspiracy going on. If the tracker hadn't been enough this was certainly proof.

There had been a thought in the back of Mara's mind, probably in all of theirs that Nikolai had been suckered in by the Ambassador.

Now that supposition had been laid to rest.

“Mara?” Leia had opened the door to find the younger woman standing outside of it. “Is something wrong?”

“Wrong?” She cast a quick look around. “You might say that, I think you might want to call Han and Luke here.” She walked past Leia, entering the room.

Leia didn’t seem all that startled by Mara’s intrusion.

“It’s that serious.” Leia turned away. “I’ll comm them.”

Mara nodded and took a seat on a small chaise lounge. Leia went to find her comm and came back.

“It’s done...they should be here in a few seconds. Han might take longer. He was up late last night playing sabacc with some of the crew.”

Mara snorted delicately. “Figures.”

Leia smiled. “Well, just as long as he can focus I’m not that concerned with whatever he does during off hours.”

“Just as long.” She agreed.

The door chime went off. She moved to get up, but Mara held up a hand indicating she would get it.

She walked over to the door and let in the other two. Luke entered first, smiling. Mara was half attempted to ask why until Han followed.

He looked positively dog-tired, with his hair unkempt.

“I’m so glad you find this enjoyable.” Han groused.

“No one told you to stay up past your bedtime.”

He glared at Luke, ignoring him. He looked at Leia. “Now, what’s going on?” Han inquired.

Leia turned to Mara. “I believe Mara had something she wanted to tell us.”

Luke and Han focused their gazes on her.

She nodded, took a deep breath, “It’s like this…” Mara then began to explain what she’d seen. By the time she was done, her face was flushed. It hadn’t been a long tale but her emotions came through rather clearly when she’d told the story.

“I guess there’s no wondering now if they're on the up-and-up.”

“But what did she mean, she masked her presence….?”

“I don’t know. I couldn’t hear everything. I could make out though they were concerned about Luke.”

“Why?” Han interjected, looking fairly interested.

As two other pair of eyes turned to Luke, he assumed a relaxed pose and elegantly shrugged his shoulders.

“It’s possible, she suspects I suspect her. My line of questioning might not have been as subtle as I’d first perceived. It’s obvious she’s intelligent.” He pondered. “Though as to what she has to gain is anyone’s guess…” He trailed off.

Luke sighed. He wondered briefly about his options. He could easily confront her right now; but what would there be to gain? Was there any point in revealing himself to her? Did she know who he was...or did she only suspect?

He wasn’t lying though, she was intelligent. He’d have to be a fool to think she didn’t know.

Was there a problem with her knowing though? Should he tell them? What would he tell them? And why?

Again, he had no answers, and that frustrated him.

One thing he did know, however, was the woman was not here by any coincidence, it was obvious she had been specifically assigned here. Now whether it was directly or her own elaborate plan…that was another thing entirely.

The governor’s son was apparently in cahoots with her, but to what extent? Did he know who she truly was? Was this being done with the governor’s knowledge or behind his back? If so what did the son gain by allying himself with Elan.

There were so many questions.

“I think we may have to deal with the possibility that Elan is not what she seems…”

“Or who she claims to be.” Han inserted.

“You think this is the Empire’s doing don’t you?” Mara asked.

Leia looked to the younger woman. “I don’t know. It’s a possibility...though it could be some other factions.”

Luke watched the proceedings. Yes, they were smarter than anyone gave them credit for. Maybe he didn’t have to say anything at all.

“Or it could be the Empire.” He countered

“It could.”

“Still, there is the question about Luke. Even if she thinks he suspects her, why would she even give him the time of day?” Han smirked, levity in his voice. "Then again as paranoid as the Imps are, I wouldn’t be surprised if she thought someone had been sent to check up on her. I mean the kid is pretty anonymous; doesn’t have a name for himself.”

Luke looked irked at this statement.

Leia rolled her eyes. "That's not helping. We need constructive suggestions, if nothing else."

Luke decided to play it light. "No, Leia, Han maybe has something. I mean, maybe I am the long-lost twin of one of the Empire's most trusted operatives."

Mara smirked. "Right down to the cleft in your chin?"

Luke winked at her. "Glad you noticed."

"I don't miss much."

“I can’t tell if you’re mocking me or not.” Han grumbled.

Luke’s eyes widened.

He wasn’t fooled one bit by the kid’s innocent act.

Han knew what Luke was capable of. Despite his demeanor with others, he had a clearly calculating mind and was smarter than he would first appeared to be. He had a great deal of smarts for a common pilot. If Han was truthful, he found this a tad suspicious, but he also had to admit in the long run, Luke’s intelligence had helped them on more than one occasion.

He frowned. "You two flirting isn't doing us any good, either." Han commented.

Luke shot him a "Do you blame me?" look, and the mood lightened and turned to the more constructive.

"Well, kark it all, I suppose the talks are out." Mara observed.

"Hmmm. There may be a true opportunity behind all the subterfuge, in case Nikolai is playing both ends against the middle." Leia objected. "We should put out feelers to see how things truly lie with Governor Vedere."

Han broke in with a laugh. "Yeah, let's see how many quick and smooth answers Daddy's boy has then!"

Luke said after a thoughtful moment: "Yes, Organa's right. Let's not decide anything until the meeting."

Leia gave Luke a considering look. "We are working together, no reason to be formal outside of a briefing ... when we're not in the middle of some official function, call me Leia, please."

Luke was surprised, but relented. "All right. I'm Luke, then.""

Leia gave him one of her rare smiles, and then they headed for breakfast.

+++++

:cool:

15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Great update! Sorry I don't have time ATM to write more!

Jade_eyes likes this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Getting interesting. Nice!

Jade_eyes likes this.
  17. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    =D= Love it!

Jade_eyes likes this.
  18. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Very cool updates! Keep it up girls.

EmeraldJediFire and Jade_eyes like this.
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Luke's life gets complicated by the second.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  20. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Wait it wasn't aalready? Lol

21. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    great updates and it's getting more and more interesting with each post. Can't wait for more :D

EmeraldJediFire and Jade_eyes like this.
  22. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    So if Elan is who I think she is, what is the Empire playing at? And....if this is AU, would there be any reason for the Rebels to know who she was?

BTW, I'm curious about the perfume...that only happens to me when I smell jet exhaust. (Long story)

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Jade note: Blimey, the last post was ages ago! :eek: EJF was on vacation & now has returned, so buya! Except now she's under the weather. Yikes, so this half of the collab team is going through edge of seat-itis too [face_laugh] @};- So hang tight... Huggles!!!!

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Jade here: EJF is feeling much better, so we're back in biz again [face_dancing] Working steadily on the next post. :D

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Note: EJF and I tweaked and re-tweaked. :) I totally love the finished product. :D

----

It was time.
    The moment of truth; as one being had said. Luke walked in contemplative silence with his companions as they made their way back to the salon. They had all agreed attending the meeting was the best possible decision. They were all aware that they could have easily gotten away and foiled Elan’s trap, but Leia wanted answers. She still had hopes that the negotiations could be salvaged—if any were there.

“I have to know.” She said. “Nikolai is in league with Elan; she might be involved with the Empire, she might not. The point is what does Nikolai gain from betraying us? How does it benefit his planet and home system?”

“And is the Governor himself in on this.” Mara pointed out.

“That’s what we’ll have to find out.” Luke chimed in.

“Great; and while we’re at it, why don’t we ask how the galaxy came to be.” This came from Han.

Leia shot him a withering glance.

Mara grinned.

“I’m just saying we’re going to have a tough time getting them to confess. They’ve been hiding it so it’s not like they’re going to be so forthcoming with that particular information.”

“We won’t know unless we try.” Leia countered.

“Try.” Han muttered. “It’s not like any of our other attempts have worked...” he slid a glance at Luke.

Luke refused to rise to the bait.

“I wasn’t able to assess her fully enough.” It took all I had to keep from vomiting anyway.

“What we need to do is turn up the heat.” The ex-smuggler suggested.

Leia shook her head.

“Princess, we tried it yours…and Luke’s way. Nothing has worked. I know people like Elan; trust me on this.”

She turned her head to look at Han. She focused on him for awhile before releasing a breath.
    “All right, Han.”

He grinned victoriously.

“If no further attempts on mine or Luke’s part are successful. I give permission to result to more direct methods.” She looked at Mara then Luke. “Understood?”

Mara nodded. “Sounds like a plan, Boss.”

“Let’s make this count then.” Luke added quietly.

They entered the salon to find it bereft of their host and the governor’s son.

“This is starting to look bad already.” Han muttered, stepping past Leia.
    “Maybe they’re onto us.” Mara murmured.

“You think you were spotted?” Luke asked.

She shook her head. “No, I’m sure I wasn’t.”

"I apologize for my tardiness," A voice interrupted, "It does not reflect on my sincere desire to come to an agreement. I was unfortunately detained by a suddenly arisen crisis."
    A man strode into the salon, flanked by many men and women. He was large and imposing, bearded and dressed in immaculate formal clothing.

“Governor Vedere I presume.”

“You would be correct.” He came to a stop in front of her. “You are Princess Organa?”

“Yes,” Leia gave him her most diplomatic smile. "Much has happened and I feared our meeting had gone wrong. I’d like to thank you The Alliance wishes to come to a mutually satisfying agreement as well; however, there is ..."

It was then that Nikolai and Elan came sauntering in, looking for all the worlds as innocent as newborns. Han rolled his eyes and nudged Leia.

She smirked and, for once, had to agree with Solo's silent commentary.

His father gave his son a most pointed look; Nikolai looked defiantly back, or tried to.

“Good morning, Father. I hadn’t expected your presence for this meeting.” Nikolai said cooly. “I was under the impression that you’d been detained by matters of state.”

Leia noted the cool tone in Nikolai’s voice that he was trying to disguise. It was obvious that he had not expected his father and was not please with the older man’s arrival.

“The crisis was averted sooner than I thought.” He turned back to Leia as if to say, I’ll deal with you later. "I have anticipated this meeting a long time, I am glad to be able to offer practical assistance against such an oppressive regime."

Leia smiled warmly.

"We welcome any and all genuine help." She answered.

Luke said sotto voce to Mara: "Unless and until Ambassador Elan and Nikolai throw a hydrospanner into the works."

He cast a glance at Elan and Nikolai, noting their body language, briefly looking into their eyes for any subtle emotions. He wondered what would come of the sudden presence of Governor Vedere. What moves would Nikolai make? How would Elan explain herself if at all?

“Father…”

The Governor raised a hand, silencing his son. “I believe Princess Organa has the floor.” He said, in a deep rumbling voice.

Nikolai bowed his head, but even Leia could tell he did so unwillingly.

“Of course, Father.”
    The governor turned back to her. “Princess.” He gestured.
    “Thank you, but before we begin the talks, Governor Vedere, I believe there is a matter which must be attended to.” Leia cast a glance toward Nikolai. “One of our party saw your son, Nikolai Vedere in close conversation with Ambassador Elan, the time and location of which is irrelevant." Leia said, at her most regal. "However, from what we have gathered it appears that their agenda is quite different from the one that has brought our two parties together.”

Elan did her best to look unimpressed and unruffled by the Princess’ accusations, while Nikolai studied his nails absentmindedly. He gave off a cool demeanor, but his father’s presence had obviously put crimp in his plans and he was nervously chomping at the proverbial bit.

“In fact, Governor, I am wondering if these talks are at all possible, due to the nature of these current arrangements.” She looked at him pointedly. “Now, granted these could be very well going on behind your back; however, it calls into question the Adumarian’s stance. That being said, I think an explanation is required, don’t you?”

He looked to his son.

“Quite so.” Vedere paused. “I assure you, Princess Organa, that the Adumarians are most sincere in their offer to the Alliance—and that any indiscretion on my son’s part does not reflect the current government at hand.” He glared at Nikolai “Nor have they gone entirely unnoticed. The Chief Magistrate of the Financial District came by inquiring into your personal datafiles and private messages,” It was obvious he was addressing his errant son now.”Of course I was reluctant to believe that one such as my son could be under suspicion of anything heinous. Not when I’d taught him so well. I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, Nikolai, but in light of such new circumstances, your trustworthiness is hence forth being called into question.”

“I assure you, Father,” Nikolai objected, trying to remain unruffled. “I had no idea Ambassador Elan was anything more or less than she claimed to be. I was assured this was all with the permission of the Adumarian government.”

“Do not lie, Nikolai.” His father barked. “I’m well aware that you have come out here hoping to subvert my mission. There is no one on Adumur known as Elan Donyei, she wasn’t created until six months ago, but I’m sure you’re well aware of that.” His eyes searched for Elan this time. “You hoped to ally yourself with her. What did she offer you?”

The room darkened suddenly, the power going out. Leia stood from her spot, searching in the dark blindly.
    “Powers out.” Han grumbled. “I knew it.”
    “Search for the source of the power.” Vedere growled.

Luke sought out Elan’s presence in the dark but found it lacking. He gritted his teeth. It was not going to go that easy.
    “Here.” A man’s voice called out—one of the dignitaries. “I have a glow rod.” A faint green glow appeared.

Within moments, the power was restored.

Elan was nowhere to be found.

“She timed it.” Mara murmured.

“She’s gone!” The Governor stood up, bellowing. “GUARDS! Search for the she-devil! I want her brought in for questioning! Unharmed if at all possible.”

He looked to his son. Nikolai was flushed, his cheek twitching, obviously Elan giving him the slip had not been in the plans.

“It seems your cohort has hung you out to dry, Nikolai.” Vedere said, frowning. “I think this nullifies any excuse you can give me, don’t you?”

Mara suddenly noticed they were missing another of their party.
    Luke.

Elan didn’t do running scared but she had to get out of here before they noticed she was missing—which was about now. The power came back on, bathing the ship in light. She cursed. She’d been able to find her way through the darkened corridors with night-vision goggles.
    She stopped at a nearby trash chute, hurriedly stripping off her gown and wig. She shoved both articles down the chute, now dressed in a grey jumpsuit, with her hair still under the wig cap.
    She’d deal with that later. Right now, she had to get to her ship. She’d be home free as soon as she made it to the orbital space station.

“Going somewhere, Elan…or would you prefer I called you Shira?”
    The voiced stopped her in her tracks and she pivoted, eyes scanning the nearby area.
    “Luke.” She purred menacingly. “It’s good to see you.”
    Luke walked into view casually, as if there wasn’t a squad of guardsman about to converge upon their location.

“I wish I could say the same, but I’m half wondering what you’re doing here.”

She shrugged. “Just business.”

“Vader?”

“Perhaps. What gave me away?”

Luke frowned inwardly. He didn’t like the thought of being snooped upon; whether it was Vader’s doing or the Emperor’s.

“It was the scent of your perfume.” He replied. “It always amazes me why you choose to wear such a hideously scented smell. It makes you stand out like a Hutt in the sun.”

She gave a mocking smile. “Always the charmer.” She stopped, straining her ears. “So, are you planning to reveal me to your little playmates?”

Luke snorted. “As much as I would love to, I’m afraid that wouldn’t be all too wise now would it?”

Shira gave a shocked look. “I do believe you’re right.”

“Palpatine knew about the Adumarians, didn’t he?” Luke questioned.

“You know our Master.” She could hear approaching feet. “I believe that’s my cue to leave. Do you want to go with “plan zeta”?”

Plan Zeta was Shira Brie’s code word for her knocking him out. The things he had to do…

“If you don’t mind.”

“It’ll be my pleasure.”

“And, Shira, tell “the dog” not to interfere with my mission again…”

That was, of course, the last thing he recalled before he woke up on a medbay bed, inside Governor Vedere’s starship. He had a thundering headache—it appeared Shira had done her job too well. No doubt the woman had enjoyed it. His head felt like it had nearly been split open—undoubtedly due to her well-placed blaster hilt. He moaned loudly, fluttering his eyelids, and reached up to touch the crown of his skull.

Oh, yes, she had indeed done a number on his cranium.

“Luke?” Mara’s voice entered his conscious awareness. “Thomas, can you go alert Princess Organa. Tell her that Luke Skywalker is awake.”
    “Certainly, Ma’am.” A voice assured, and Luke heard the door slide open then close.
    He moaned again as if trying to catch her attention once more.

“Luke? It’s me, Mara. Can you hear me?”

“Mara?”He murmured, slightly dazed.

“Yes, it’s me.”

“What-what happened?” He murmured.

He knew perfectly well what happened—he’d engineered it all, and Shira had carried it out beautifully. He’d be feeling this for awhile no doubt. He could hardly employ Force healing techniques. It would raise too much suspicion. That was the price he had to pay, he supposed.

“We found you lying on the floor of the hangar. You were knocked out…we think it was Elan.” Mara stroked his forehead. “She conked you pretty bad.” Sympathy radiated in the Force and showed on her face. “What were you doing..?”

The door slid open once more and Luke blearily turned his eyes toward it.

Leia stepped into the medbay, followed by Han and the Wookie. Concern was showing on her face.
    “He looks still out of it, Mara.” Leia commented, coming up beside him. She gestured for Han to find her a chair and the ex-smuggler did. He remained standing while Leia pulled up a chair next to him.
    “He can talk.” His companion said defensively.”A bit...”

Even Han looked a bit concerned.

“Are you all right, Luke?” Leia asked. “What made you go chasing after, Elan? What were you doing there? That was very reckless.”

Han chided. “Easy, Princess, the Kid’ll be lucky if he doesn’t have a concussion.”

“I agree.” A woman stepped in looking stern. “Mr. Skywalker needs rest. He’s in no condition to answer any questions at the moment.”
    “And you are?” Leia asked, getting up.

“Savanja. I’m the Chief Medic aboard this vessel. If you need to question your companion, you shall do so after I have cleared him. Is that understood?”

“Of course.” Leia agreed, getting up from her seat. She walked toward the door, nodding in Savanja’s direction. “I leave him in your hands. C’mon, Han, Chewie..” She stopped noticing Mara lingering near Luke’s bed. “Mara?”

The red-head was looking into Luke’s eyes, studying him. She lifted her head. “I’ll be there in a minute.” The look she gave the medic said she wouldn’t be argued with. “This will only take a moment.”

“A minute.” Savanja reiterated.

She withdrew, but only to retreat to a medical prep table. Mara shrugged, taking what she could get. She turned back to Luke and sighed.

“I agree with Leia, that was a very stupid thing. You could have gotten killed.” She whispered fiercely.”

“But I didn’t. I’m…”

The word ‘fine’ died on his lips as soon as he saw the tears welling up in her eyes.

“Mara…are you…crying?” He asked, slightly stunned.

“Of course I am, you di’kut.” She muttered, wiping them away. “Don’t you think you’re worth it?”

“That’s not it, it’s just…” He winced.

She shook her head. “Don’t. You just get some rest.”

He attempted to speak once more and she put her two fingers to his lips. “Shhh.”

It was then that it happened. It took Luke completely unaware, and for a moment he was able to ignore the pain.

Mara kissed him softly on the lips; the kiss lasted only for a moment, but he could feel the torrent of emotion behind it.

When she pulled back, he could taste the saltiness of her tears as well as the sweetness of her lips on his. He lay their stunned by the entire moment; his brain still trying to process the suddenness of it.

Mara smiled once more and stroked his head once more.

“You take it easy. Don’t give the medic a hard time, okay?”

She straightened up, leaving the room without saying another word.

Well, he thought in a daze. He hadn’t planned for that.
    ________

Tags:

ginchy JediFalcon Jedi_Lover Briannakin Juliet316

SHADOW_MASTER_W likes this.