main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Crossover Index and Discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diamond_Revelation, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    if the Empire launched a ship towards our Galaxy, and it arrived around now.

Well, we'd be fragged. The Lando Calrissian trilogy had an Earth-type planet called Renatasia that got visited and completely fragged over by an ISD in such a one-sided manner that I see no creative drama to be had.

I'm not familiar with StarCraft, so cannot say anything about it.

The SW/Galactica one sounds the most likely one to go with, if you purely want to choose based on genre vs genre.

However, most of my crossovers were started because something was bothering me, and I wanted it resolved, eg. getting the USS Voyager crew home at bit faster than the 75 years they were mooting, rather than as a sort of interdimensional football match.

Also, if you are new to crossovers, choose something that can be resolved in a day or so. You bring a Star Destroyer to Earth, and you are talking bombardment, invasion, pacifying the native population, a whole can of worms.

What was the Star Wars/ Star Trek one?

Mm. Just had what you peeps refer to as a 'plot bunny'. Russian Roulette for Borg. A borg cube faced with six trans-warp conduits, five going to some safe region of space, perhaps in need of assimilation; and one going to the second Death Star.
    You could go with that?

2. Diamond_Revelation

Diamond_Revelation Jedi Master star 3

Feb 25, 2003
    New story added!

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Where?

4. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    They are all under letters that I have gotten to already! I am trying to get round to the other letters but I have been really busy with uni work! Hopefully my weekends will be more my own now!

Anyway three more new stories added! Two under B by BrentusofGath and one under E by EmilieDarklighter .

5. skywalker64089

skywalker64089 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    [face_thinking] That hasn't been done before at all, now has it? ;)

And masterfully done, I might say.

I'm actually trying to cross high-tech futuristic earth (not ST) with NJO SW. I haven't gotten to the actual cross part of it yet, but I've already detected several things that I'm going to have to deal with. Not the least of which is that the universe I'm crossing with does NOT have the reactionless drive. It uses projected gravitonic plates sandwiching the ship causing forward motion. This should prove to be an interesting ride.

S.

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Heh. Thank you for that, dude. I tried to write it well.

And that sounds quite interesting, too. Good luck with that.

7. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    projected gravitonic plates sandwiching the ship causing forward motion? Sounds like the Impeller drive used on ships in the Honor Harrington novels. Crossing SW and the Honorverse could be tricky as despite the quote they keep using on the back of the books of ?SW as it might have been written by C.S. Forester? (which is wrong since C.S. Forester and David Weber write quite differently) they are so different. Good luck if that is what you are doing.

(And if that is not what you are doing then good luck anyway :p)

Crossing something over with Star Wars can be tempting a lot of the time, sometimes just so you can drop a Star Destroyer on some annoying set of ?bad guys? but sometimes because you have an idea about how Star Wars and the other thing can cast fresh light on each other. I think that unless it is a vignette or a drabble that you do need more of an idea than ?wouldn?t it be nifty if?? (or the classic ?Universe versus Universe Deathmatch!?) to keep the story going.

A good example is RK_Striker_JK_5?s Decepticus Rex which has the ?cool? factor of having Transformers fighting the Yuuzhan Vong made cooler by trying to figure out how the Transformers look with their SW alternate forms and how they would transform. It has the ?smash annoying bad guys? factor with the Transformers having little trouble reducing Yuuzhan Vong to component molecules. Finally it has the ?cast fresh light? factor since the Jedi can feel that the Transformers truly are alive and so not only is this challenging the Jedi preconception that Robots are not alive and not part of the Force but would make them the ultimate blasphemous abomination to the Yuuzhan Vong.

Another idea, which in some ways is similar, would be to cross new-Battlestar Galactica with Star Wars. The new-Cylons would be in some ways the opposite of the Yuuzhan Vong as rather than wanting to destroy machines they might want to free them and let the droids achieve their potential. How effective the Cylons would be in subverting SW technology would be debatable, the fact SW ships are decentralised into droids rather than having centralised computers might be similar to how the Galactica has separate computers and deliberately low tech. On the other hand droids do all receive instructions from the main computer at regular intervals so the subversion could spread.

One way to create the ?cast fresh light? factors might be to have this be Rebellion era and have the Empire have problems. Their droids undergo memory wipes at regular intervals and so do not develop significant personalities beyond their default programming. This could make them more vulnerable and so the Cylons might be able to subvert Imperial ships both because the droids have less resistance and because if they all have the same personality then learning how to subvert one would teach how to subvert all those of that type.

On the other hand the Rebels are less inclined towards memory wipes and although it is rare for droids to reach the level of eccentricity of Artoo and Threepio they would be closer to that than to the Imperial standard. Cylons try to subvert Artoo, he?d just make a very rude noise at them. :)

So you would have the ?cool? factor of Star Destroyer versus Base Star and X-Wings in formation with Colonial Vipers, the ?smash annoying bad guys? factor of when the Base Star runs into Home One and finds the subversion attempt unsuccessful, and a ?cast fresh light? factor of whether the Cylons are alive and the morality of memory wiping droids. Could also be some nice debates as trainee-Jedi Skywalker tries to argue that the Cylons are alive (if they are) and the Colonials argue they aren?t, and so it is okay to torture them and throw them out airlocks?and the Imperials agree that torture and spacing non-humans is a perfectly laudable course of action. :p

So to sum up, since I seem to have suffered from typing diarrhoea (a similar malady to verbal) with the SW-(new)BG idea, I think you need the ?cast fresh light? factor as well as the ?cool? factor for a good crossover. You al

8. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    I think you're right, thinking about how one fandom can shed light on another apart from the cool factor is really crucial... when I was doing my Bladerunner/SW crossover, I really wanted to explore clones/androids/etc and how they were perceived, so I turned Coruscant into a partly Bladerunnerish place and enmeshed Deckard up in SW politics...

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Most crossovers have been somewhat 'played out', for lack of a better term. The really good ones I remember do have a 'neat!' factor going on for them.

And _JM_? Thanks for the kind words about Decepticus Rex.

10. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    Ok a new story added by VaderLVR64

I will only be adding stories that have been emailed to me until December 11th as I am really busy with work.

I will then spend some time getting all the archived stories I know about put up.

11. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Upping with plot bunnies for adoption:

What if the Ranma gang got landed in YJK land and got the YJKs into their huge, complicated mess? What if the YJK's somehow end up in China, fall into the cursed waters of Jusenkyo, and begin to turn into animals?

And here's a Heralds of Valdemar/SW crossover bunny:

When Prince Kris and his twin sister, Princess Lyra were about twenty, Talia, the Queen's Own Herald, died, so Rolan had to choose another to replace her. He chose Kris, so Lyra became the heir. One day, when they try to Gate somewhere, the two accidentally exited in teh SW universe, preferably sometime after Legacy and end up realizing that the Force is what they call magic in their land. They traded knowledge with teh Jedi and in the meantime, the people of Valdemar, especially their older half-sister, Elspeth, got worried sick (and you really don't want to worry Elspeth) about the two because Queen Selenay was dying and they needed both teh Queen's Own Herald and the Heir. Kris, Lyra, and the Jedi ended up fighting Sith in the GFFA and then, somehow, they all went back to their homes to fend off some enemy there.

BTW, if you want to see Canon x-overs, check out the StarTrek section of teh local bookstores 'cuz they got a book about X-men teaming up with StarTrek people.

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I've read that ST/X-Men crossover, Sil. Quite a good read, but I feel they didn't explore the meeting of the two groups enough, instead having them go help that planet with the emerging metas.

13. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Really? I guess I'd better pick it up, then, even though I didn't get past page 1 the first time around thanks to my attention span.

14. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    New story up from VaderLVr64 :)

15. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    Ok I finally had some time free from writing essays and I have managed to update the index to half way through S with old stories! I will hopefully have some time tomorrow as well!! :D

16. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    New story added in L from LilyHobbitJedi :D

17. jpauln

jpauln Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2005
    Is it considered a crossover if the SW universe collides with ours? I only ask because I noticed a lot of the fics in this index involve Earth but not a particular Earth based fiction. If that is the case, my stories Polar Beings and its sequel Polar Forces deals with the Empire coming to Earth and its neighboring systems.

18. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    In Writer's Challenge 7 - The Crossover Challenge I had written up a SW/A-Team crossover.

I've been thinking about expanding it into a larger tale.

Reading this thread thus far, I have to wonder if what I've written can actually be called a "crossover", since this A-Team wasn't plucked from Earth, per se, but is more like the SW equivalent. In other words: they have the same names, similar background, etc, but set in a SW envrionment.

19. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    New story under L from Idrelle_Miocovani

Also in answer to the two posts above - If the characters from the SW universe come to earth or vice versa I am counting that as a crossover. If the characters from one show are placed in the circumstances of another I guess that counts as a crossover too. It would be great if you guys could PM me with the info on your stories using the format at the beginning of the first post of this thread. It saves me time and it means that I don't miss off any information. :D

20. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    New stories from jpauln

21. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    New story up from TheProphetOfSullust

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    All right, here's an idea for a topic...

Are there any franchises that, barring the whole 'long time ago, far far away' thing, you really can't see being crossed with SW? Something so outrageous or just simply incompatible? Or the power levels are too different?

23. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Not a franchise, but I think Velvet Goldmine might be a bit of a stretch. Though I'd love to see Ani and Obi in eyeliner and all glammed up! :p

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    *Blinks twice at VaderLVR*

O-kay...

Ah, what is that?

25. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I must confess, I've never seen a HP/SW crossover that I believed for more than two chapters. This is my own take on it, of course, but I just can't see how wizards and Jedi are ever the same thing. Maybe, if people would write a crossover where it wasn't miraculously discovered that they were (and I confess my best friend and I used to joke about how Merlin was really Luke Skywalker's uncle, and Atrus from Myst was really his cousin... or something... it was complicated- but we weren't serious!), then I might be able to believe it.

There's a very small number of things that I think are logically crossoverable, so I think the list of things I can see as crossovers is shorter than the ones I can't. What can I say? I'm picky. I need things to make sense. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.