main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Crossover Index and Discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diamond_Revelation, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drabba_the_Hutt

Drabba_the_Hutt Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    No, those wouldn't be crossovers. A crossover requires that specific fictional elements of both properties be present, the obvious example being characters. Plot elements only count if they still happen within the framework of the property, and the first thing a recast does is take them out of that framework and put them in another. I don't know if there's another standard term for them, but I think "recast" works well. ["Parody" and "pastiche" would also describe them, but those are much broader terms.]

2. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    So a reference to Dune in a poem doesn't make it an SW/Dune X-over. This doesn't pertain to fanfics, but would a picture of a toy of a character from another universe posing with a Vader keychain count as a crossover pic?

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It's about time I found this place... and *WINCE* Can't believe you dug up that old fossil of mine...

Crossovers for me are tricky. I hate the whole idea of time warps, loopholes, black holes, and such that throw people into other dimensions. As such, I can never really get into any kind of Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings crossover. Then again, it might just be because I've been tainted by so many bad ones that I'm afraid to read one, even if a really good one comes along. :(

That being said, since I didn't see it in the index at the beginning, for anyone who has ever considered/wanted to find a very good SW/LotR crossover, I suggest Mr. P, JediGaladriel, and FernWithy's Not All Who Wander Are Lost. It's set during TPM (as it was written in 2000), and does the world of Tolkien incredible justice. I think one of my favorite parts about this story is that it is 100% based off of the books, seeing as the movies were not even out yet when this story was written/being written (JediGaladriel did a huge movie rant somewhere in the original story thread, which I couldn't find, if I remember correctly). It sadly was abandoned and ended near the ending of Fellowship of the Ring. Wonderful story, though.

4. Diamond_Revelation

Diamond_Revelation Jedi Master star 3

Feb 25, 2003
    Ok we have two new stories up in the index from Miana Kenobi and Trimaj

[:D]

Marsa I'm looking for more stories like this, but are they really Crossovers? Do they have their own special name? Can we invent one then? Maybe I should start a writer's challenge

I have seen stories like this around though I'm not sure what name would be given to them! If you look through the stories lists you should find some eventually - its time consuming but sometimes you find a gem of a story.

5. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    This isn't for the index, but I don't know where else to talk about the bizarrest x-over poem that I've found: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/31436437/

Anyhow, this guy's put Godzilla, Star Wars, Transformers, Trigun, Power Rangers, and at least fifteen other universes into one giant song lyric.

6. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    New story up by Star_Angel :D

I have also split the index into two posts in an attempt to make it easier to work through!

7. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    Thank you for adding me Diamond[:D], as soon as I have time, I?m going to sit down and read more x-over, I love them[face_love].

8. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    Thats quite alright Star_Angel [:D] its nice to have you with us!

We have a new story up from Kidan !

9. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    We have three new stories up from TigerofRobare

10. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    New story up from Idrelle_Miocovani :D

11. CherryLightsaber

CherryLightsaber Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2005
  12. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    I have a question. I'm debating writing a crossover short story (4-5 posts? Something like that) but would it still count as a crossover if the cast of one is replaced by OCs? It would be a crossover with CSI and Star Wars, with Star Wars characters and OCs to form the crime scene investigation group. (Well, the different cities have different casts, and CSI: Coruscant could be a fourth group, I guess...) It would probably be better if I used the Las Vegas cast (the only ones I'm familiar with) but I'm still not good enough with them to actually write them without beta help, and I haven't the faintest idea of how to get a beta for both fandoms at once.

:confused:

13. Drabba_the_Hutt

Drabba_the_Hutt Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    No, EG, if you used OCs, creating a completely new CSI team for Coruscant, it wouldn't be a crossover. You need to have elements specific to the CSI fictional universe in the story, which pretty much means the characters. The concept of such a team isn't enough by itself because they exist in reality and therefore don't meet that specificity rule.

14. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    New stories up from RX_Sith and ardavenport :D

15. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    I think you missed all of Striker's new SWST x-overs.

16. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    Makes sense. I wasn't really thrilled about the OC idea anyway, but it's the only way I could do it without help or waiting a few weeks to even begin while I take a bunch of notes. (The latter might be kind of fun, though...) Thanks.

17. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003

Thanks SilSolo I will get in touch with Striker and try and get them on the index this week! I appreciate the heads up as I don't have much time to check for new stories at the moment.

18. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    Ok there are loads of new stories up from RK_Striker_JK_5 as well as some more detail on the ones that were there already!

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks, Diamond.

So... New topic? Old topic? How would Macgyver do in the GFFA?

20. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm looking for aragorn and tc-14. Can anyone help me?

21. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    How so, ish? You mean writing a fic with those two? I think I can help, if so.

22. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    It's a trivia answer. I know that one.

23. TigerofRobare

TigerofRobare Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 11, 2006
    Hello, all. I've written primarily crossovers since registering. I find them somewhat as challenges, meshing together two universes. I also tend to follow a basic rule: in head to head competition, the older story wins, unless there are technological considerations.

Thus, while Sauron could beat Sidious, the Empire still would win because none of the Middle-Earthlings could stand up to Imperial technology.

Does anyone know of any good SW/Matrix, SW/Doctor Who, or SW/Smallville crossovers?

24. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    We have two new stories from TigerofRobare

---

I can't think of any specific stories that cover these universes (that I have read) other than your own! I would love to see a SW/Smallville story though! I had an idea for one myself but I am not a very good writer so I never did it! You should write one!!

I think I saw a couple of SW/Dr Who stories when I first started the index but most of them are unfinished and are now locked so there is little chance of them being finished.

25. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    I am about to try this.

I might have gone fully insane, but I have made plans, and will start writing soon.

It may only be my love of finding OC's, topics and other such sundies that no one else is interested, but yes, Star Wars is about to make an entrance to an MMORPG my kids and I play. I have ran the idea past my sons and they think it could work.

Any words of comfort before I drop off into the deep end?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.