main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Crossover Index and Discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diamond_Revelation, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    Marsa, since I only write stories like that, yes they are crossovers. Even the mods say so.

Both my crossovers, Padmé the Vampire Slayer (see index) and Pirates (which I haven?t had time to send here yet) are like that.

Noelie, I think that you should do it, even thought I don?t really know what MMORPG means.

2. Diamond_Revelation

Diamond_Revelation Jedi Master star 3

Feb 25, 2003
    Hey guys new story up from nick012000

Noelie you should go for it, and let us know when you start posting! [:D]

Also what do you think about me reposting the index under a sock so that if I can't run it anymore I can pass on to someone else!

3. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    I think that it sounds like a good idea, and it would help if you sometimes wouldn?t want to continue this.

4. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I think we need a Dune Crossover.

5. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Darth_Mu: Vaderlvr64 has one going in the saga. Pretty popular, and being Vader would be well written. You should check it out :)

I did start my crossover by the way, and it is in Before_the_Saga.

6. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    Ok new story up from Darth_Marrs

I will get the new thread up and running sometime in the next month or two - once I finish my dissertation! Once I have the index all set up in the new thread I will get ask one of the mods to lock this one. I will try and post a week before this thread closes to let you guys know whats going on!

Noelie - if you send me some details I can put it onto the index!

7. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    Noelie's story is now in the index!

8. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    New story from Mira_Jade :D

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Do we have a new discussion yet about crossovers? Since I've been having so many plot bunnies for one of my current crossover fics, I feel like discussion something with other crossover writers. :p 8-}

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm. What are your bunnies, Idrelle? And what do you want to talk about?

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh, various exciting plot twists for my current HP/SW crossover. They remain in secret though. [face_shhh] And I have no idea what I want to talk about... something about crossovers. :p I haven't had a good crossover discussion in a while, but unfortunately I can't think of any topics. 8-}

12. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    *delurks*

Here's something that's been bugging me for some time: what do you think about defining one universe in terms of the other?

Take HP, for example. Should the Force be a kind of magic? Should magic be part of the Force? Should Force sensitives automatically be gifted with magical aptitude or should most of them be muggles, and vice versa?

As a writer - and please note that this probably only applies to my state of mind when I'm writing - my stance is that the crossover'd worlds shouldn't mix that much. Doing so would be diluting their uniquenesses. I try to keep non-SW people Force blind for that reason. (Then again, I prefer non-Force sensitives to Force sensitives anyway. :p )

Of course, this isn't to say I won't give muggles Force sensitivity or turn Lando into a wizard. But I'll try to do it without giving the Jedi and/or wizards more powers. The narrative possibilites are too fun to pass up. :D

- lazy

13. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    That is always a difficult question for anyone starting a HP/SW crossover. I know some people really hate the idea of Jedi being able to use magic and wizards using the Force.

For my own SW/HP crossover I decided that wizards shouldn't have access to the Force, because they are all together part of an alternate universe that has nothing to do with midiclorians.

For Jedi on the other hand I think they would be able to use magic with wands because the Force that lives inside of them is able to embody and manipulate itself into forming the HP version of magic. But that is just my take on the matter.

14. TigerofRobare

TigerofRobare Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 11, 2006
    I prefer psuedoscience. For example, in one of my HP/SW stories I explained (through Yoda) that magic is the result of higher dimmensional physics.

I think that plausability is important in crossovers--I mean, does the method of linking up the two universes make sense in both and things like that. A balance needs to be struck between the different laws. If, for example, one wanted to do a Scrubs/SW crossover one would have to find a balance: Is the hospital in the GFFA? Has a SW character crashed on Earth? Is it one of JD's daydreams? How would the humerous nature of Scrubs mesh with something more dramatic like Star Wars?

Another thing is common to all stories but especially for crossovers: what's the point? Yeah it'd be great to have Clark Kent meet Harry Potter or Luke Skywalker, but what would they do?

15. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Hi, I'm writing a crossover. Do you all have any tips to give?:)

16. Drabba_the_Hutt

Drabba_the_Hutt Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    What type of crossover and with what?

17. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    It's a cross-over with Xenosaga(an RPG video game) and Star Wars

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I've never read HP books or seen the movies, so I can't comment too much on that. I don't have too much of a problem with non-SW characters learning the Force, since it's generated by life itself.

19. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    I know zilch about Xenosaga but I can give you these general tips and encouragement:

Make sure you know everything about the storyline and characters of the property you're crossing SW with. Make sure the explaination you use (AU, time-and-space warping, etc.) makes sense and doesn't come off hackneyed. Might want to check out Striker's cross-overs for decent examples.

Expect any chapter to take days, perhaps over a week, to complete, if you want to write in any real detail (that's how long it takes for me, anyway). Fanfiction takes time and effort.

Also, for those of us who have no idea of the source material (like me with Sailor Moon and Xenosaga) you might want to add a decent amount of background info about the universe you're crossing SW with, but make sure to blend it in well so you don't clutter up your narrative.

Finally, have fun, and make sure you have the plot completely worked out before you start. I learned that lesson the hard way with my Lost Sword story.

20. TigerofRobare

TigerofRobare Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 11, 2006
    I suggest keeping everything as familiar as possible because a major downside to writing crossovers is that the reader has to be at least slightly familiar with the other universe, so reuse dialog from the movies that fits and (at least for a while) perhaps write the story from the SW characters' points of view. But mostly, I suggest this: Go with what you think works. It probably will.

21. Riley_Martin

Riley_Martin Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2006
    Any good Babylon 5 fics out there, the search function has failed me.

22. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Riley_Martin: Any good Babylon 5 fics out there

*activates The Link Machine*

I can't vouch for the quality, but there's one in Beyond:
    Relative Insanity by Exploded-Nomad

And one in Classic:
    Ally Against the Darkness by Isildur_42

You might find more if you search for B5 names.

- lazy

23. Diamond_Revelation

Feb 25, 2003
    Its good to see so many people interested in Crossovers out there!

G__Anakin when you get your story up and running - PM me the details and I will try and get it up on the index!

On the topic of HP/SW crossovers, I don't have a problem with either HP characters being force sensitive or SW characters being able to do magic as long as it is explained well and the author doesn't just give the force to all wizards and vice versa, given the nature of both magic and the force this seems unlikely.

24. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Force vs. magic - that's a quite interesting topic to discuss, not only because of HP, but other fantasy fandoms.

I've recently started writing a SW/Discworld crossover (not started posting it here, yet, you'll have to wait a bit, folks! ;)), and I've been thinking about that quite a bit. I would say that the Force is definitely magic of some sort, but more sort of natural - since the Force is created by all living things, it could be classified as a sort of natural magic. For example (if I may use the aforementioned Discworld), the "headology" used by the witches of Lancre is pretty much the same thing as the Jedi mind trick - it's basically meddling with other people's minds and how they think.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I really should get my hands on The Science of Discworld and read it... [face_thinking]

25. Tev_Torbek

Tev_Torbek Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 19, 2004
    Hi everyone, i'm working on a couple of stories and I'm new to this fan-fic portion of the boards. I'm in process of writing a Star Wars/ new Battlestar Galactica crossover, where my character, Jedi Master Tev Torbek, and a few of my friends characters (we're currently working on a fan film in Pueblo, and this my characters back story and his relationship with some of the other characters) are cataputed into the future (Ala Star Trek, you know, the jump that hits a mysterious worm hole) and meet's up with the remnants of the Colonial fleet and the Battlestar Galactica. The story line has evovled, I was originally going to do it shortly after the Galactica found the Pegasus, but after the start of the new season didn't think it would fit, so I decided to bring them in right at the end of of the 3rd episode of the new season. Literarly right after the cylons leave New Caprica. My characters are from the Clone Wars. We're basically is what is left of a task force sent by the council to liberate some planets from the Sepratist. The enemy's strength was grossly underestimated and we had our behinds handed to us. We started out with 5 of new Republic Star Destroyers (new as in ROTS ships, I don't remember their designations, the ARC-170s, and the Eta-2 Jedi Star Fighters) and end with only 2 and maybe 60% strength. Plus a few transports and medical frigate with evacuated civilians and lots of injured. I want to deal with Colonials paranoia (i.e. the human Cylon threat), humans never seeing alien races, humans never seeing or knowing of the Force, the Colonials desperately wanting the advanced technology (one of the major issues of the story is the Jedi wanting to help in way they can without giving up the technology to a less advanced race) and getting back to their own universe. When the Jedi do get back it's right in the middle of the event's in ROTS. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Please try and PM any questions, I don't get on here, this board that much as it is very confusing to me and I don't want to unintentionally step on any toes. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.