main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Crossroads (JA, Obi/Qui/Dooku) - *Complete*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

That just gripped me and held me in place
    in front of the computor my neck hurts now
    but I couldn't move it until I finished reading
    it was so moving and
    sentimental
    That was so beautiful =D=

2. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    *Melts into a happy puddle*

[face_love][:D]

Obi-Wan's oath was so lovely! Although a few verses really tugged at the heartstrings - as we all know what happens to Qui-Gon and the whole Ventress business. I thought it was sweet how Qui-Gon realized that his apprentice was suddenly all grown up and wise.

Great job!

3. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Next part. :)

JOINME: Finally, he got through to Qui-Gon. Yes, indeed. He knows his master very well, does Obi-Wan. Thanks for reading!

River_Stone: [face_blush] My dear, you're too kind. I'm glad you liked it so much. More for you. Thanks!

-Darksaber-: You want my autograph? :D I'm honoured. [face_blush] Glad you liked the update so much. Thank you. :)

LE: Hah! I reduced you to a pile of mush! Hah!
    Your stories have a way of making me think, and though that is a strenuous and unfamiliar excursion for me, I very much appreciate it

Strenuous? Unfamiliar? You're kidding. :D Share your thoughts with me, do.

Thank you, m'dear.

dianethx: You have such a concise way of putting everything into words. Glad it turned out right. Thank you. :)

maychorian: Yes, Qui-Gon's a great Jedi too - for seeing what eludes a good many. He was gifted that way, I think. Thanks, May. [:D]

Katieelessar: If it made you cry, then I succeeded. Thanks!

No that wasn't the end, but this will be.

Layren: <rewards dial-up braving Layren with a hug> So kind of you. Awww, I made you cry! I'm a perverse creature, so I'm happy. Thanks!

LilQui-Gon: End of trance. You may sit now. :D Thank you for sticking with this. :)

Gkilkenny: <eases neck-ache with a Force twist> There, now. That shouldn't hurt. But I'm so glad you read it through. Thanks for the lovely comments. :)

corellian-jedi: It's a good thing that Qui-Gon had no way of knowing what was to come or he'd have worried over that - and not showing it, which would make things worse. Force knew what he saw from within the...Force. :)

Thank you, m'dear.

Now, for the concluding part...

Part IV

Grand Jedi Master Dooku sat in a corner, his back ensconced in an unyielding white seat that mirrored the pristine condition of the healer?s Ward of the Temple.

What was the connection between white and peace, he wondered. He thought himself a complex being, preferring shades of black, grey, and of recent times, even red. He lowered his head as he scrutinized his gleaming boots, and smiled slightly. Certain of his acquaintances within the Temple would do more than berate him, if they learnt of his leanings lately. Why, Qui-Gon himself?

A deep groan interrupted his musings.

Through the open doorway in the hall in which he sat, opened a small ante-chamber?a chamber that was used for purposes of examination. He could see Qui-Gon?s back, from his vantage point?a long form, clothed in dark tunics and a cloak. He was leaning forward at the moment, arms resting on the sides of his seat, his face framed by long hair that was now neatly swept into its usual, neat nerf-tail.

He chuckled as he remembered the first time he had seen his former apprentice without a padawan braid. He had laughed when he had heard of Qui-Gon?s resolve to grow out his hair, his first act of knightly freedom?and remembered his surprise as he had suddenly encountered, months later, a regal knight,aware of himself, and all that was around him.

I?ve trained not just a strong Jedi, but a powerful one, he had reflected with pleasure, as he sensed the aura shimmering around the then newly minted knight. He had always known Qui-Gon?s strengths?but such things were apt to be eclipsed in close proximity. It was true that one had to maintain a certain distance for observation.

He himself had no real interest in taking another padawan. Even Qui-Gon had been an after-thought. In his younger days, the joys of working alone had been greater. His thought processes were much too diabolical for the Council, which meant that he was banished to the Outer Rim more often than not.

Ever since he had encountered the three year old Qui-Gon in a practice salle, however, and taught him how to grip a sabre?the Force had meant them to come together; he knew this. Such talent and strength could not be put to waste. He still r

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh I soooo loved this!! [face_love]

He chuckled as he remembered the first time he had seen his former apprentice without a padawan braid. He had laughed when he had heard of Qui-Gon?s resolve to grow out his hair, his first act of knightly freedom?and remembered his surprise as he had suddenly encountered, months later, a regal knight,aware of himself, and all that was around him.

I?ve trained not just a strong Jedi, but a powerful one, he had reflected with pleasure, as he sensed the aura shimmering around the then newly minted knight. He had always known Qui-Gon?s strengths?but such things were apt to be eclipsed in close proximity. It was true that one had to maintain a certain distance for observation.

And man.... this was awesome!!

They stood looking at each other, as though trying to imprint their respective images into each other's minds. Qui-Gon thought of the words he had hoped to say, of the conversations he had hoped to have. There were questions he would have asked. Doubts that required clarification. Matters that needed insight.

Shatter-points dimmed and glowed when he tried to pin-point Dooku's presence in the Force. He drew on his calm-centre, concentrating on the Living Force, trying to gain understanding. An understanding that seemed to elude him. An understanding of what lay behind Dooku's abrupt departure, perhaps?

Shadows. More and more shadows.

And this... :_| How sad!!

He stood watching as his former mentor walked away. A strange ache settled in his heart; he shook his head. Be mindful of your feelings, warned the Living Force, his guiding light ever since he had first trusted himself to it. Be mindful of his feelings too, for he is unsettled.

A little further, in a darkened room lay Obi-Wan, his blue-green eyes watching the back of his retreating grand-master through the partially open doorway. A flash of red light flitted through his mind?s eye; he tossed restlessly, trying to drive out the images that had flashed upon him a few hours ago. Be mindful of your feelings, whispered the Force, for you may yet encounter him.

Meanwhile, Jedi Master Dooku spoke into the Force, as his boots tapped their way across the Temple.

I shall seek out your padawan, Qui-Gon. If not today, then tomorrow. If not tomorrow, then in the following months. And if not then, in the coming years?for his destiny is bound with mine.

One day we will meet, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

How so true is that?? Oh my goodness...poor Dooku... Sorry guys but I feel for the Count to be in this chapter! Also Qui as well. :( How sad indeed.

Awesome!! Well done!! Magnificent ending!! =D= @};- Got an excellent Dooku fix for today!! [face_dancing] And I sooo needed one...been feeling down lately...

Thanks again hon for this story! [:D] Wonderful! Loved the foreshadowing ending there!

5. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    I shall seek out your padawan, Qui-Gon. If not today, then tomorrow. If not tomorrow, then in the following months. And if not then, in the coming years?for his destiny is bound with mine.

Wonderful. I loved this, Socky. Well done, and thankyou.

Padawan Jodie-Wan

6. nd_jedi

nd_jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2005
    What a wonderful Story, P_A :). Just the right amount of mush, and some very intriguing foreshadowing.

Kenobi?s face stilled; he threw a long look at Qui-Gon, who returned a smile of assurance. The crease that lined his forehead disappeared. He directed one last glance at Dooku, before succumbing to an exhausted sleep.

Qui-Gon stood looking down at his padawan. Dooku watched as the carefully neutral expression in his eyes vanished, to be replaced by a light of inexplicable gentleness.

Ah. So that was how it was, was it?

Qui-Gon traced the boy?s cheek-bone as though he had received wealth not easily attained, before moving away.

I love your wonderful narration of the nonverbal communication, and how you convey the depth of their relationship nonverbally.[face_love]

7. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    ?In case you haven?t noticed, my reputation isn?t spotless, either.?

?I see you?ve managed to ruffle a few high and mighty feathers, in your time.?

?You?ve kept track of my work, then??

*Ticks off fingers* Hmm...what've we got here?

Marvelous banter...

A definate "up" on the creepiness scale...

Some lovely mush...

Flawless description....

Oh, come now, Princess! If you continue writing perfection, we'll soon become bored with it! [face_laugh]

(Joking, joking, of course.)

The ending was so fitting, suggesting everything yet saying nothing. I adored it.

8. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    *bows before Queen of Obi/Qui/Dooku*

*stands up, so that she can applaud madly*

Oh, wonderful wonderful wonderful. And wonderful some more. =D=

An old future-seer in Pascea. Dooku had last seen her raving about an explosion that would occur in the capital city. No one had believed her, but it had happened, nevertheless. He had been the only one to seek her out, after the incident.

The expression in Obi-Wan?s eyes?the grey fogginess. The vacant stare of one who had suddenly left the present behind, as though seeing something far, far away.

That was such an amazing passage. You really have an understanding of Dooku, and why he becomes so interested in Obi-Wan.

?You don?t require my permission to meet him, master,? he said lightly.

Dooku shook his head. ?Nevertheless, I notice that you haven?t given it.? There was a faintly injured look in his eyes, and Qui-Gon suddenly discovered that the floor of the Healer?s ward provided great food for thought.

?You are quick to judge those you meet, Master,? he replied, skirting the issue.

?Meaning, that I will judge Kenobi by the same standards of Xanatos. Qui-Gon, I have gone on too many diplomatic missions to commit such a mistake.? Dooku rose. ?Well?I won?t intrude on a master?s prerogative.?

?He will need two more days to recover,? Qui-Gon too rose, as he spoke.

?And I will be gone tomorrow.?

Wow. You've also explained why Qui-Gon would be so guarded with Obi-Wan when it came to Dooku. The way their relationship ended was so sad and quiet. You can tell they want to fight it, but at the same time they are both powerless, for one is devoted to the Order and his apprentice, while the other is devoted to a personal pursuit for power. So so sad. :_|

Kenobi?s face stilled; he threw a long look at Qui-Gon, who returned a smile of assurance. The crease that lined his forehead disappeared. He directed one last glance at Dooku, before succumbing to an exhausted sleep.

Qui-Gon stood looking down at his padawan. Dooku watched as the carefully neutral expression in his eyes vanished, to be replaced by a light of inexplicable gentleness.

Qui-Gon traced the boy?s cheek-bone as though he had received wealth not easily attained, before moving away.

Of course this was my favorite part. [face_love].

Just so beautiful, P_A. Every post from you is a gift. =D=

9. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    [face_hypnotized] [face_hypnotized] [face_hypnotized] That was the best story I ever read. *Snaps out of trace* *Looks around* Hey, what happen? [face_plain]

10. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    <in awe> What a wonderful story that ended way too soon!

I loved how you tied in that quote of Dooku?s in AOTC, ?It?s a pity our paths have never crossed before..? simply marvellous. It was also very sad how Qui-Gon was trying to get through to Dooku, but it wasn?t working?

Ah a stunning way to end. This is the sort of fic that resonates.. and lingers.

Thank you for sharing! [:D] [face_love]

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved the ending and the whole thing really.

What was the connection between white and peace, he wondered. He thought himself a complex being, preferring shades of black, grey, and of recent times, even red.

I remember the discussion about color we all had. :D

He had always known Qui-Gon?s strengths?but such things were apt to be eclipsed in close proximity. It was true that one had to maintain a certain distance for observation.

Distance, yes, that is Dooku, elegance and distance. Perhaps that was one of the reasons he went the way he did - because he could not connect with the other Jedi. That he was alone so much and wanted it that way.

The Force whispered to him. Strength, it spoke. Strength. Compassion.
    It lay silent for a while. Dooku questioned it cautiously - he had his methods - and received the answer he had hoped to.
    Destiny.

Of course, with destiny, Dooku's interest in Kenobi suddenly increased. Not that he wanted to meet the boy that Qui-Gon mentored, or curiosity or concern but the Force's whisper of destiny... rather cold of him but then there is that distance thing again.

Qui-Gon traced the boy?s cheek-bone as though he had received wealth not easily attained, before moving away. He turned briefly towards a medical droid hovering in the room, murmured something, listened to a few controlled beeps, and then walked out.

Loved that. The simple touch of a parent for a child - call it what you will - tells you so much. No words were needed here!

?Of that, I am already aware.? He shot a keen glance at Qui-Gon. ?Nevertheless, you know the rule about attachments.?

And, of course, Dooku picked up on it immediately! LOL.

Loved the ending, with its shudder from the future.

Wonderfully done. Bravo!=D=

12. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Wonderful. [:D] Amazing interaction between Qui-Gon and Dooku, and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. So much is conveyed in the smallest gestures. Just marvelous.

A worthy conclusion to a wonderful story!

13. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    I think everything I would say has been said by each and every person who has already reviewed. Your writing is flawless, your characterizations beautiful, and I just can't get enough. Every post you make is a blessing to its readers; your plots just wrap themselves around you and suck you in!

Beautiful job, P_A! I can't wait to see what else you've got in store for us! :D

Stormqueen

14. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Ooh, wow, wonderful job! Kind of sad that they can't say so much to each other, treading carefully and reading the Force. I loved the ancient oaths and rituals in that training salle. =D=

15. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Brilliant !! Just brillaint

Dooku knows that Obi-wan knows that he is flirting with the dark side.

Great Story=D=

16. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005

WOW!

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

17. moonwashedrose

moonwashedrose Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2005
    WOW!

and that's all I can say. [face_blush]

You're a published author right?

This was so good, I was so engrossed! and bits of it made me :_|

I can't wait to read more from you. :)

18. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    I agree with the poster above. If you're not already publishing your works, you should definitely consider. From the quality of your fanfiction writing, I'm sure that your original fiction writing is just as superb.

=D=

The ending was very fitting (with a lot of foreshadowing too!). I definitely like Dooku's reflections on Qui-Gon's three Padawans. It's very intriguing that he realizes the importance of Kenobi this early on in the game. This changes my perspective of the Dooku/Kenobi part in AotC!

19. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Wow, that eas amazing! And that third part was just so moving *sniff* Loved it!

20. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    I absolutely loved the Passage of Fear, loved th e Oath of Dedication even more (especially Kenobi's version)

I liked when Qui was being kind of mean, threatening, sayng he wonders if he should be a Master. "Yours in particular" then two sentences later he is moving to help him, trying to be stern but can't hide his emotions

It was awesome that Obi Wan was appropriately attired and locked Qui in there, he planned it well.

Funny, the part about Qui-Gon vowing to grow his hair (so that was how the rogue hairstyle started)[face_laugh]

Dooku puting things together and then it coming together like that--Destiny

This was one of the best things I've read=D=

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    P_A, there's little that can convey my thoughts on this story. Brilliant comes to mind, in the way you introduced Ventress, Dooku's nature and desire to meet Obi-Wan. Touching & beautiful, in every word written on Qui-Gon. In Obi-Wan's Oath of Dedication left me in tears and Qui-Gon and Dooku's parting left me so sad that they couldn't have been more open, more inquiring.

A stunning fic. I thank you for sharing it. [:D]

22. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    The Force whispered to him. Strength, it spoke. Strength. Compassion.

It lay silent for a while. Dooku questioned it cautiously - he had his methods - and received the answer he had hoped to.

Destiny.

You are amazing.@};-

You have captured the balance between Qui-Gon and Dooku excellently, both showing that they were once close and yet that they are now on very different pathways in life. I enjoyed the subtle way in which you included Ventress and the power of Obi-Wan's visions for the future; that he would be aware that he would come across him again...

I honestly don't know what else to say besides "you're brilliant" for the hundredth time. You are without doubt one of the finest writers I have ever come across. I have yet to read a single story of yours that isn't awe-inspiring.

I'm going to lie down now...

23. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Ahh, Princess, this was wonderful. I just had to read it at one gulp!

I loved the rituals of the Jedi, the interaction between Qui-Gon and Dooku, and the relentless foreshadowing. You are awe-inspiring!

24. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Replies, to all the kind people who gave wonderful feedback. I should have replied much earlier. :)

Kynstar: Thanks so much dear. The Dooku fan that you are, I was concerned that he should be in character. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)

-Darksaber-: Thanks, Jodie. Glad you liked it. :)

nd_jedi: Foreshadowing - I love that. :) I'm with you about the mush - I''m not very much in favour of syrupy stuff. I like the realistic stuff. So glad you liked it. :)

Fluff-Slayer:
    If you continue writing perfection, we'll soon become bored with it!

Lol. Okayyyyy. :D

Thanks, dear.

LuvEwan: My dear, you're very kind. Every word of your review was so...touching. You got the crux of why Qui and Dooku behaved the way they did. And of course, I knew you'd like a certain passage. :D

LilQui-Gon: Story's over, that's what happened. [face_laugh] Thanks for reading. <considers putting into another trance [face_thinking] >

JOINME: Thank you. To have a fic that lingers is the greatest compliment a fanficcer can expect. :)

dianethx:
    Distance, yes, that is Dooku, elegance and distance. Perhaps that was one of the reasons he went the way he did - because he could not connect with the other Jedi. That he was alone so much and wanted it that way.

I think so to. The Force spoke to him differently, I think. And where Qui-Gon looks down at Obi-Wan was one of my favourite parts too. :)Thanks so much, m'lady.

maychorian: Thanks, May. :)

stormqueen874: I've got plenty in store, sq. Thanks so much. :)

Jedi_Tigris: Glad you liked it. Thanks!

Gkilkenny: Thank you!

Star_Drifter: Lol. Gracias. :)

moonwashedrose: Thanks so much. As for being a published author - from a certain point of view... :D

corellian-jedi: AoTC was certainly on my mind when I wrote it. :) I'm so glad it changed your perspective. I always did wonder if Kenobi might not have had an impact on Dook. Thanks!

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi: Thank you. :)

TRADMIC:
    This was one of the best things I've read

I'm flattered. Thanks so much. :)

Healer_Leona: HL, your words inspire me, Really. I'm so glad that the characters made you 'fall' in, so to speak. Thank you. :)

River_Stone: <looks to see if RS has come back from her nap.> Master reviewer - I can't thank you enough. [:D]

raisedbywolves: Thanks! :)

25. DriftingThread

DriftingThread Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    Princess, this is an astounding piece of art. Everything was absolutley perfect and *squeals* just so beautiful! Everything was so vivid, it was like I was watching the story unfold on my computer :) and I praise it with two thumbs up! Way up!!
    It was just lovely, wholly lovely.
    Bravissimo!
    =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.