main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Crossroads of the Force (SW/ST crossover) Completed 6/1

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Nov 1, 2009.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    nice to see another update and the discussion between Kirk, Spock and Scotty=D=

2. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Very logical discussion and conclusion on what they should do with Valdra. You're thinking like Spock! Well done. =D=

Will the Jedi see the Vulcan also? I think that would be interesting.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: All caught up again.

:)

Tholme's talk with the guard -- wonderful and insightful, and warnings as well that I hope are heeded [face_worried]

Valdra with Qui-Gon -- wow! She's rather like a Dark Lady of the Sith. :p I do like Qui-Gon's tone here. =D=

The conference weighing the judicial options -- :cool: if you bring in Pike. :D :D

[:D]

!!

4. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    obi-wan: Glad you liked it!

Obimom: I find writing Spock difficult because I tend to be a little too rigidly logical myself, and I wonder sometimes if my own nature is getting in the way, so I'm glad you think that Spock sounds like Spock.

Jade_eyes: Glad you've caught up. If you think Valdra's dangerous, imagine what she'd be if she'd been raised in the GFFA. Who knows, maybe she would have given Palpy a run for his money?

Okay, after what seems like forever, I'm back from hiatus. Hopefully, you all haven't given up on this fic in my absence. And now, on with the show!

Chapter 10

Captain's Log, Stardate 2258.97: We have arranged with President Jaraana for Ms. Valdra to be tried by a Vulcan court, and have rendezvoused with the USS Shaara to pick up her counsel, Lieutenant Commander Sovek of the Judge Advocate General corps. He has confided to Spock that he feels that he is ready to proceed, but does not offer much hope that he will be able to exonerate his client. Although it pains me to admit it, I wouldn't mind seeing him lose. The idea of Ms. Valdra running free in the Federation troubles me greatly.

Kirk thumbed off the recorder, and lay back, staring at the ceiling above him. He'd done his best to avoid going down to the brig, after hearing what the Jedi had to report about Valdra, coupled with his own run-in with the young woman. However, his mind wouldn't rest. What could make someone do what she had done, and do it with such an utter lack of remorse? The old Spock that he'd met on Delta Vega had explained Nero's past, which made his actions seem at least somewhat reasonable. Nero had gone about things in a disastrous way, and would have been charged with mass murder had he survived, but he'd thought his actions the only way to save his world.

Jim swung his legs over the side of the bed, and rose. The only way I'm ever going to have a hope of understanding what Valdra was after is by going to talk to her. And I'm certainly not going to be able to just waltz in there. I'm going to have to convince the Jedi? His thought trailed off as he realized that the whole line was utter foolishness. Wasn't he the captain of this vessel? He knew he was, but he also wondered if the thought had come from his own mind, or whether it had been planted there. Was he a time bomb, waiting to be detonated whenever the prisoner in the brig sensed her captors' vigilance waning?

The wall communicator whistled, starting Kirk out of his thoughts. He headed over, and thumbed it on. "Kirk here."

"Bridge here, Captain," Spock's sonorous voice said. "We have arrived at the Vulcan colony, and the delegation is ready to beam aboard."

"I thought the arrangement was for Valdra to be tried down below," Kirk said.

"There are some who question the wisdom of bringing her down, where she might influence others," Spock said. "The chance of this happening is small?"

"But the elders don't wish to take any chances after what happened with Nero?" Kirk asked.

"Precisely," Spock said. "Therefore, they have suggested that the proceeding be held aboard the Enterprise, and Admiral Pike has authorized the use of the ship."

"He authorized the use of my ship without contacting me?"

"Doctor McCoy suggested that you needed rest, Captain," Spock said.

"Man takes over operation of my ship at the drop of a hat," Kirk muttered.

"Admiral Pike is the ranking officer," Spock replied to Kirk's comment. "He also is the one who made the arrangements with the JAG Corps."

"I just don't like people going over my head," Kirk said. "I never have."

"And yet you have managed to not only remain in Starfleet, but to achieve a command of your own."

"Yeah, well, I thought that when I gained command of the Enterprise, the business of going over my head would lessen. Now, I've just got a doctor who goes behind my back."

"He was acting in your own best interests, Captain," Spock said, as if that explained everything. As far as Kirk was concerned, it didn't come close.

"We aren'

5. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Oh, please update again soon - will the Jedi be testifying also?

This scene sounded straight out of Star Trek - I could just see Spock, Kirk and the others saying these lines.

Good job.

6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice update with Kirk and co dealing with Top brass.

Like to see more soon

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi Tych, This is an excellent cool post. I love the idea of a Vulcan JAG. :cool:

I also enjoyed the Kirk/Spock exchange ;) that is exactly Jim's reaction to Bones's high-handedness [face_laugh] ... Pike's actions seem more in line with what an admiral would do in the line of work.

Nope, Jim definitely doesn't like people going over his head :D !!!

And yet, this idea of holding the proceedings on the Enterprise seems a wise precaution ... I just hope the influence Valdra could wield will be nullified, in order that the reader(s) may be spared a travesty of justice. :p

[:D]

!!

8. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    obimom: The Jedi will indeed be testifying, or at least, one of them.

earlybird: Glad you liked it.

Jade_eyes: Thanks, I thought having a Vulcan JAG would be cool as well. Trust me, the fact that she's dealing with so many Vulcans will limit her ability to wreak havoc.

Okay, after being gone for what seems like forever, here is the next post, as the trial begins.

"This court will come to order," the Vulcan First Minister said from his seat in the center of the three judges. While his two colleagues were more versed in legal matters, the First Minister was still the First Minister. "Counselors, you may begin your opening statements."

"Thank you, First Minister," Saraam said, rising and moving out from behind the table at which she was seated to stand in the center of the room. "This case is very simple, once you strip away the politics of the situation. The accused has, on more than one occasion, stripped a being of his free will, used him to achieve her ends, and then discarded him like a piece of rubbish. This violates a tenant older than the Federation that we serve. In the words of the human upon whose words some of our very own basic laws are derived, 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.' The actions of the accused show that she has little difficulty denying these basic rights to those she decides can be used to serve her ends. We request, we plead that you remove her from the company of those whom she would use and dominate, that their rights might not be infringed upon." She nodded to each of the judges, then resumed her seat.

"Commander Sovek?" the First Minister said.

"May it please the court," Sovek said, ring and giving his tunic a slight tug to remove a wrinkle that had formed after he'd taken his seat, "what my learned colleague is asking for is the removal of Ms. Valdra's access to the very rights she claims to hold so dear. She would, I'm sure request that Ms. Valdra, who to this point has not been convicted of any sort of crime one on her home planet, be removed from her home and placed in confinement based upon hearsay. I ask only that you listen to the evidence, the real evidence presented, and understand that this is a simple case. My client found herself surrounded by men who hated and feared her, and when they saw the opportunity to eliminate her, they took it, concocting this story. Consider whether this travesty would be allowed in the Federation. I think you'll find that you have no choice but to acquit my client of all charges." He returned to his seat, and sat down. Valdra leaned towards him, and said something softly.

"Is the prosecution prepared to call its first witness?" the First Minister asked.

"We are," Saraam said. "Due to the nature of the defendant's actions, most of our witnesses requested that they be allowed to testify remotely."

"Objection," Sovek said. "My client has the right to face her accusers. That right is guaranteed in interstellar law."

"She is not being denied her right to face her accusers," Saraam said. "Those serving as witnesses against her will simply not be in the same room."

"Then there is no way to truly determine what has or has not been done," Sovek said.

"The bench will take a short recess to consider the matter," the First Minister said, rising. The other two judges rose as well, and followed him from the room."

"Not exactly the best start," McCoy whispered to Kirk, having joined the captain just after Saraam had begun speaking.

"It is probably best to get any questions of legitimacy answered before the trial goes further, Doctor," Spock said. "I believe most legal minds would concur."

"Of course you would," McCoy grumbled.

"As it seems this might take some degree of time, I'm going to head up to the bridge and report to Admiral Pike, before he feels it necessary to make a change in command," Kirk said.

That

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful post.

Saraam's opening statement - wonderful!

Defense attorneys -- the fact that even ruthless sociopaths and terrorists deserve a defense :p :rolleyes: You wonder how their attorneys live with themselves.

Valdra's attorney is facing such a predicament :p

Hugs!!!!

10. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    interesting start to the trial. Looking forward to more...

11. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Glad you liked the opening statement. You know, defense attorneys are just doing their job, filling a vital role in the justice system.

obimom: Glad you liked it.

And just when you though this might be getting too much Trek and not enough Wars..

The two blades sizzled as they momentarily locked, green-white against blue-white. One twisted, breaking the lock, and slid forward, only to be blocked again. "I remember that from our last training session. You should be careful you don't become predictable."

"I know, I know, it's going to get me killed one of these days," Obi-Wan said. "I guess I don't like being seen as an aggressor. It's not in my nature."

"Sometimes the best defense is to ensure that you never have to ignite your blade," Tholme said. "Ensuring that those who face you are consumed by their own fear sets them on a path that can lead to the greater good."

"And sometimes, even if you're fighting defensively, lunging becomes necessary. My old Master taught us that fencing is an art form, and it is the intentions that determine the blade's actions," Qui-Gon added.

"You old Master was even more of a renegade than you are, Qui-Gon," Tholme said, as Obi-Wan and his partner extinguished their blades. He turned to Obi-Wan's opponent. "And what did you learn from this exercise, Quinlan?"

"That Obi-Wan's grown soft and predictable?" Quin said with a snort.

"If that's all he's learned, I'd say the lesson was a failure, with all due respect," Obi-Wan said. "Besides, Quin and I have sparred so much lately that if he hadn't been able to pick up on a few tells of mine, I'd think he was dueling with blinders on."

"Nonetheless, Quinlan does have a point, Obi-Wan. You do tend to repeat yourself after a certain period of time. In a conflict with a Sith, that could prove dangerous or, more likely, deadly."

"But the Sith no longer exist," Obi-Wan countered.

"Just because we haven't seen evidence of their presence of their presence for a thousand years doesn't necessarily mean they don't exist, a fact that I have had to remind the Council of more than once."

"Not that again, Qui-Gon," Tholme said.

"We ignore a possible return by the Sith at our own peril. We never did track down all of Darth Bane's writings, and you know it. You know that Master Kuro agrees with me."

"Master Kuro has been known to take positions that are considered even more unconventional than ours, Qui-Gon," Tholme said. "But to return to the original subject, one can alter one's fighting style mid-duel, and thereby incorporate new attacks and defensive strategies."

"You can also use the Force as if it were a blade in and of itself, giving you greater freedom with your own blade," Tholme said. He drew his own blade. "Master Jinn, perhaps we might demonstrate for our students?"

"I could use the workout," Qui-Gon said, shrugging off his cloak and igniting his own weapon. He saluted Tholme in the old fashion, then adopted a ready stance. "You may begin as any time, Master Tholme." Tholme smiled, and feinted a stab at Qui-Gon's left, then brought his blade around towards the other man's right side, while pushing Qui-Gon's defensive block upwards with the Force. Qui-Gon, realizing his defense was penetrated, leapt backwards. "Nice trick, Master Tholme."

"Thank you, Master Qui-Gon," Tholme said, then whipped Qui-Gon's cloak into his face as he swung his blade towards Qui-Gon's legs. The Jedi Master was already in the air, flipping over Tholme to land behind him, his blade directed towards Tholme's unprotected back. Tholme brought his blade up, over his head, and pointed it towards the ground to block Qui-Gon's stroke. He pushed Qui-Gon back with the Force, giving himself time to turn and bring his blade back to a defensive neutral stance. The sound of a soft whistle was heard over the hum of the blades, and both Masters, as well as their students, turned to find the Enterprise's primary helmsman watching them.

"Forgive us, Mister Sulu," Qui-Gon said, as both he and Tholme de

12. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Cool...a spar between Sulu and one of the Jedi....looking forward to that. glad to see the Jedi back in the story. :)

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice updates and Jedi sparring with Sulu:)

Courts are everywhere the same:rolleyes: Maybe the Jedi can make a difference

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi! I never mind more Trek than "Wars" [face_laugh] I didn't even notice until you mentioned it ;) but this was a fangirl indulgence of a sweet kind in and of itself. Oooh, Sulu fencing is a delightful image [face_dancing]

15. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    obimom: Just wait until the Jedi get brought in as witnesses. I think you'll see a "certain point of view" coming up.

earlybird: Unfortunately, I think that the sparring may have to wait. I don't want to lose the courtroom thread of this story, part of which I had written some time ago before I ran into a wall.

Jade_eyes: Glad I've been able to indulge that fangirl in you.

Okay, I know it's been quite a while since this story's been updated, but I ran into a few things that were taking up a great deal of time, and then Darth Writer's Block struck, followed by a massive dose of real life. But I haven't forgotten this tale, and the next post is ready to go. So if anybody's still out there, here it is!

Chapter 11

"So it is your testimony that the defendant's actions led to your dismissal?" Sanava asked.

"Objection," Sovek said. "Assumes facts not in evidence."

"Your honor, the witness was dismissed without the benefit of a hearing. He is merely stating his opinion."

"All the more reason to avoid what he might say, Your Honors. Any opinion would be overly prejudicial towards my client."

"This court will hear his answer," The First Minister said. "The objection is overruled."

"It is my belief that the unfounded accusation that was used as reason for my dismissal came from the defendant," the image of Fryd Rolaand said. He looked much better than he had since Quinlan and Tholme had left him, but after finding out what had nearly been done in his name, Jaraana had gone out of his way to aid the prosecution. It had been a textbook example of why Valdra should be tried other than in a Vegan court.

"The prosecution has no further questions for this witness," Sanava said.

"And what was the accusation that my client supposedly lobbed against you, Mister Rolaand?" Sovek asked.

"She claimed that I took advantage of her."

"And by saying that, you mean that you behaved in a manner contrary to your position as her tutor. You engaged in activities that would have been more suitable for a romantic partner."

"Objection, counsel is testifying," Saraam said, coolly.

"The objection is sustained," The Minister said. "The court will disregard defense counsel's last statement."

"Allow me to rephrase, your honors," Sovek said. "In what way did she claim you 'took advantage?'"

"She said that I used my position as her advisor to involve myself in her romantic life," Rolaand said. Saraam was shaking her head.

"So you admit, you did take advantage?"

"Objection!" Saraam said, said, rising. "Counsel is badgering the witness."

"Sustained," the Minister said.

"Withdrawn," Sovek said. "I have nothing further for this witness."

That's all for now. More will be coming, and hopefully it won't take three months this time.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice to see a new update. Still following this story and the twists between the universes

17. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Nice to see an update. Hope to see more soon.

That lawyer sounds sleazy.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome court-roomish stuff. :D

Looking forward to more.

19. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    ealybird: Glad to see you're still following this.

obimom: Sorry the update took so long. I don't think the defense lawyer is sleazy, I think it's just that he may come off that way because we don't like his client.

Jade_eyes: Glad you liked the courtroom scene, as we've got some more of that coming up.

And here's the new post!

"Things could have gone better today," Saraam said. "Though I think we managed to keep the majority of the accusations out of the testimony."

"I'm more concerned about what he might do once we rest," Eriqua Sanava said, running a hand through her dark hair. "I'd feel better if I were a little more versed in Vegan and Vulcan law." She sighed. "Right now, I guess we'll just have to hope that the Jedi will give us the punch we need to ensure that Valdra stays in custody."

"These Jedi," said Saraam, "what do we know of them?"

"You mean besides the fact that they appear to have acted to prevent Valdra from running loose through the Federation?" She pulled a padd out of her briefcase. "Captain Kirk's report on them is decidedly vague. He says that their ship emerged from a rift in space. Commander Spock reports that the rift is unlike anything he has seen or studied."

"So they are an unknown quantity," Saraam said. 'This case seems to be full of such things. Perhaps we should add the captain to our list of witnesses."

"That could play into Sovek's hand," Sanava said said. "If you consider the fact that Captain Kirk doesn't remember how the Jedi subdued Valdra?"

"It's a risk we may have to take," Saraam said. "After all, Kirk was with the Jedi when they caught up with Valdra, and if memory serves, she tried to play him as well."

"Which would give us a reason to make sure that she in under observation at the very least," Sanava said, recognizing her superior's plan. "Then we shut the door on the whole case against us."

"We minimize the damage that can be done. It is only when the defense begins its case that we can close the door. And even then, we may need to be careful. The judges may not allow their emotions to influence them the way that humans will, but they will be examining every possible scenario in order to ensure a proper verdict. The case will not be over when the testimony ends," Saraam said. "And I would suggest that you prepare the best closing argument of your career."

"You're going to let me close?" Sanava said, surprised. "I expected you would handle that."

"And how are you to gain experience if I do all the work?" Saraam said, one angled eyebrow rising slightly.

"But the importance of this case?"

"The importance of the case is not the issue," Saraam said. "Whether this was a slip-and-fall, or a case of mutiny, I would expect you to give every closing argument the full attention it deserves. It is, after all, the last time you can directly influence the proceeding." She turned her attention again to the padd. "I'd like you to prep Master Jinn for his appearance. I will take care of preparing Master Tholme, as he seems to be the more?difficult?of the two."

"You're not planning on introducing the apprentices?"

"They were not present for the arrest," Saraam said. "Their testimony would likely be dismissed as hearsay. Anything that is necessary regarding the aftereffects we can likely get from Captain Kirk or, if absolutely necessary, Dr. McCoy."

"Now there's one that I wouldn't want on the stand. He seems overly?"

"Emotional?" Saraam asked.

"Exactly."

"That is why I will bring him forth only as a last resort," Saraam said. "But if it is necessary, we must ensure that his emotions do not get in the way of our case."

"That could be difficult."

"Nobody ever said our job was easy, Lieutenant."

That's all for now. More to come soon.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Nice behind the scenes look at the consultation between the prosecutors.

=D=

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice to see that discussion who to call as witness

and the thoughts about the Jedi;)

22. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Glad you liked it!

earlybird: Was there ever any doubt that at least one Jedi was going to be called?

Since we saw the prosecution last time, it's only fair we check in on the other side, don;t you think?

Sovek looked across the energy barrier at his client. "You don?t seem to be fighting veruy har for me," she said, leaning close to the barrier, but not enough for it to discharge and send her flying back against the rear wall of her cell.

"We shall get out day, once the prosecution is finished. Until then, we play a waiting game."

"I don?t like to wait," Valdra said. "I prefer to take what I want, and then when I'm done, move on to the next item."

"I'd suggest you not mention anything like that. It makes you sound like some kind of predator."

"Isn't that what you and I are, when you really get down to it? Deep down, doesn't some part of you want to cast logic aside, and let your emotions take full control?" She smiled. "I think there is."

"My emotions are not up for discussion here," Sovek said. "I'm here to discuss your case."

"But you'd like to discuss more than that, wouldn't you? There's a curiosity in you, about how I do the things that I do."

"I'm always interested in the way the mind works," Sovek said. "But that can be discussed once you've claimed asylum."

"I thought I already had," Valdra said. "Or is the great and glorious Federation not willing to defend a single wronged woman?"

"You make it sound so simple," Sovek said. "It's not the Federation that is prosecuting this case."

"And yet I'm being confronted with Federation lawyers, a Federation court, aboard a Federation starship?"

"The judges will be considering Vegan law," Sovek said. "It is your abilities that require the Federation, and the Vulcan Remnant in particular, to intervene."

"So all of your talk of the rule of law is really nonsense," Valdra said. "Whne you don't like something, you change the rules. How is that any different than me exercising my abilities to make people do what I want them to do?"

"What you do denies them freedom of choice."

"They have a choice. They can do as I ask, or I can make them do what I want."

"That isn't a choice, and you know it."

"Ooh, is that a little frustration breaking through your calm?" Valdra smiled, and Sovek realized he was quickly losing control of the discussion.

"I'd like to discuss how the Jedi brought you in," he said, trying to bring the conversation back to the topic that he wanted to discuss.

"They beat me," Valdra said. "They used their abilities, and their weapons to disarm me. Then one of them shot me in the back. That shows a real sense of courtesy, a real sense of justice, shooting an unarmed woman in the back, doesn't it?"

"The prosecution isn't going to want to let that get into the record," Sovek said. 'But they are placing two Jedi on the stand, so I will have two opportunities to get it in. I might be able to make this work out to our advantage after all."

"I certainly hope so. I don't want to find out what a Federation jail looks like." She smiled again, and lowered her head so that she had to look up from beneath her brow to meet Sovek's gaze. "Besides, if you lose, I'll never get to see what's really under that logical façade."

"I'm going to return to my quarters to prepare for tomorrow's testimony. I suggest that you get some rest." Sovek rose, snapped his padd shut, and left the room.

"Foolish man," Valdra said, to nobody but herself. He thinks he's doing this for himself, and for Justice, but I'll have him eating out of my hand by the time we're done. And if one Vulcan can be broken, then so can others. She smiled. "In time. All in its own time."

That's all for now. I've got the beginning of the next post written, but there's a fight scene involved, which means it might take a little longer for me to work everything out. Be patient, though, because it is coming...

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love to see another update and this side of the trial

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sovek is strong - walking in faultlessness & uprightness. Vulcans are known for their integrity but they don't beat others over the head with it nor do they boast over its existence.

It flows through their choices like a river.

That's why if you win their loyalty and friendship, you have a treasure beyond price.

It's also why you can't pull the wool over - none of them came in on the Trek version of the midnight train :p

Valdra reminds me of a smarmy snake in the grass. [face_not_talking]

But even the daddy of all crocodiles can be caged - much less a puffed up wannabe. :p

25. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    earlybird: Glad you liked it!

Jade_eyes: Valdra thinks she's playing Sovek, thinking that since he's doign the job of defending her that he might actually grow to believe her. She thinks she's found a weakness she can exploit.

Okay, here comes the next post!

Blade met blade with a metallic clang as Sanava entered the gym. She was surprised to see three of the Jedi standing by while the fourth dueled the Enterprise's helmsman using antique foils. She had heard that Lieutenant Sulu was a fencer, and hoped that she would have a little free time after the case was concluded to schedule a bout with him. But in this case, she might be able to practice her skills and work at the same time. She headed straight for the mats, and began stretching out. She heard rather than saw as the clang of foils ceased. "Don?t let me interrupt you," she said, without taking her focus off of getting her muscles ready for use. She smiled to herself as the sound of the bout resumed. When she felt she was ready, she headed for the knot of Jedi watching. "As Master Jinn seems occupied with Lieutenant Sulu, Master Tholme, perhaps you'll do me the honor of a challenge?"

"I don?t believe that would be a wise idea," Tholme said. "It would not look good for you to have to appear in court after?anything negative that might occur."

"You don't think that I can handle myself?" Sanava asked. "Because," she added with a Southern drawl that she'd worked damned hard to suppress, "I don?t believe for a second you're afraid of little ol' me." She sidled up just a little closer. "Not to mention the fact that I plan to challenge Lieutenant Sulu to a match before I leave, and I'd hate to miss out on the chance to learn from your technique as he is no doubt learning from Master Qui-Gon."

"If you don?t want to do it, Master?" Quin began, before Tholme cut him off with a glare.

"I still believe that this is a mistake," he said. But he took the foil she offered him, swung it back and forth a couple of times, then raised it in salute.

"If I feel like I'm out of my league, I'll let you know," Eriqua said, returning Tholme's salute, and raising her foil to an en garde position. Tholme brought his up as well, tapping it lightly against Eriqua's blade. Eriqua went on the offensive almost immediately, swinging her foil away from Tholme's, then bringing it back towards his torso. It wasn't the most flashy or spectacular of beginnings, but then, she hadn't expected this when she'd come down here.

He blocked the initial strike with ease, as Eriqua would have expected from someone practiced in the use of a blade. Eriqua took a few more shots at the Jedi Master before deciding that he really did know what he was doing. He nodded to her across their blades. "You handle yourself well," Tholme said.

"I've had a lot of time to practice," Eriqua said, disengaging her blade and giving a little ground while she assessed her options. Tholme, however, wasn't about to give her the time, as he quickly pressed the advantage. Eriqua found herself blocking a flurry of blows that came quickly, but were just as quickly withdrawn.

"I thought your order eschewed aggression," she said, dancing away from another attack.

"True aggression, yes," Tholme said. "But one cannot win a duel by remaining on the defensive. Sooner or later, one must turn to the offensive. Otherwise, you're just fighting a holding action."

"And a holding action cannot win a fight?" Eriqua queried.

"A holding action can win a fight," Tholme said, dropping back to a defensive posture as Eriqua took advantage of an opportunity, "but it usually isn't the most effective way to win." He smiled. "You see, it often requires patience, which is a virtue that usually comes with age."

"As does wisdom," Eriqua said. "But that doesn't mean that only the aged possess it. Sometimes, it simply requires experience." As she spoke, she locked her foil's guard with Tholme's, and forced him to relinquish his grip.

"Nicely played, councilor," Tholme said. "Though I wouldn'