main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Crossroads of the Force (SW/ST crossover) Completed 6/1

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Nov 1, 2009.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the Jedi and their fencing (real and with words)

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Fencing match between Tholme and Sanava :cool: !!!

And their conversation -- =D= =D=

3. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Since the end of the previous post got cut off, I'm going to overlap things a little here. But here comes some more of the story.

"Nicely played, councilor," Tholme said. "Though I wouldn't try that move with Master Qui-Gon. It might not work out so well."

"You think he's a better swordsman?" Eriqua asked, as she retrieved Tholme's foil and putting both away.

"He is considered to be one of our order's premier swordsmen," Tholme said. "Among the few who can thrash him on a regular basis are his former master, Dooku, and the Order's Grand Master, Yoda."

"I see," Eriqua said, catching the towel that Tholme tossed to her, and looking towards where Sulu had been driven back by Qui-Gon. A moment later, the Jedi had disarmed him, ending the match. "I should try and talk to Master Jinn, and determine when we can meet to go over his testimony."

"You're not going to try and coach him, are you?" Tholme asked.

"I hadn't exactly planned on it," Eriqua said. "I just want to make him a little more aware of what the defense might try."

"Good," Tholme said. "Qui-Gon and I both said that whatever happened, we would describe what we saw."

"That's all that we ask, Master Tholme. It's the truth that this is all about, after all."

"So, let me get this straight, Master Jinn," the lawyer said. "You took it upon yourself to become involved in a situation you had not been invited to participate in, of which you had little knowledge, and then proceeded to take command?"

"I don’t believe I'd put it in those terms," Qui-Gon replied. "My involvement was requested by Captain Kirk."

"Who had himself been told to keep out of what was, by definition, an internal Vegan affair."

"I am not aware of what Captain Kirk was or was not authorized to do," Qui-Gon said, hating the equivocation. But he had stated that he would give honest answers, and this was the truth, as far as he knew it.

"Then you don’t deny that you really had no business involving yourself."

"As I stated, I was asked by Captain Kirk," Qui-Gon replied. "Can we move on, Counselor?"

"Very well," the lawyer agreed. "What knowledge did you have of the situation on Vega before you decided in intrude upon it?"

"I felt a disturbance in the Force, which indicated the presence of a Force-sensitive being drawing upon the Dark Side," Qui-Gon said.

I'll be adding the next portion of the scene in the next post!

4. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    "Would you please explain what that means for the court, Master Jinn?"

"The Force is an energy field that exists within all living things. Some beings are more receptive to it than others. To some, it might be that 'sixth sense' that allows them to escape a perilous situation, or perform feats of strength they might otherwise not be capable of. Others, such as myself, are capable of sensing it, directing it, and otherwise making use of it. A Jedi, for example, can detect an attack before the attack is made, making his actions appear prescient."

"And this Dark Side that you mentioned this person was using?"

"The Force, as used by individuals, has two sides: Light and Dark."

"How would one know the difference? For example, how did you know that this individual you claim to have sensed was using the Dark Side?"

"Use of the Force, whether Light or Dark, creates ripples that can be felt by those trained in its use. It can even, sometimes if the ripple is great enough, be felt by the untrained."

"And you, as a Jedi Master, are well trained in its use?"

"I am."

"How are we to know that you aren't using it now?"

"Excuse me?"

"How are we to know that you are not using the Force to obfuscate the truth?"

"I stated that I would give true testimony."

"So you could be lying, and we would not know it. Or you could be making us think that we're hearing the truth."

"That would be skirting dangerously close to the Dark Side."

"But it could be done."

"I would not do it."

"How did you know the defendant was the one you had sensed?"

"As I said, the Force can be felt."

"But she was in the company of others when you encountered her."

"She was."

"Then how do you know it wasn't one of them?"

"Because I could feel how she was twisting the Force to suit her own ends. Once I knew that, my course was clear. I had to intervene."

"And you acted based on a feeling?"

"That is what I said."

"How do you know that this Dark Side user you claim to have sensed…"

"I know what the Dark Side feels like," Qui-Gon interrupted.

"Was in fact my client?" Sotek finished, as if he hadn't heard the comment.

"As I said, I know what the Dark Side feels like."

"So you are stating that your experience with the Dark Side in the past is what led you to take action against my client."

"I would state that that is one way of putting it," Qui-Gon said.

"Then how are we to know that your senses weren't clouded by your past dabblings with the Dark Side?"

"Objection!" Sanava said, shooting to her feet. "Counsel is slandering the witness?"

"I merely seek clarification on the facts. Master Jinn said that he knew what the Dark Side felt like."

"I know what it feels like because I lost an apprentice to it," Qui-Gon said softly.

"The objection is sustained," the First Minister said. "The members will not consider the defense's last question." He looked to Sotek. "Move on, Counselor."

"How is it, Master Jinn, that you know so much about this supposed "Dark Side" if your order is forbidden to study it?"

"Objection!" Sanava said, returning to her feet. "The court has already ruled on this line of questioning."

"The court has ruled on a previous question," Sotek said, "not the line of questioning."

"The objection is sustained," the Minister said, "and if you persist in these questions, Counselor, I will find you in contempt. Now move on."

"I have no further questions for this witness," Sotek said, resuming his seat.

"Master Jinn, you are excused," the First Minister said. Qui-Gon rose, cast a disappointed look at Sotek and Valdra, and left the room.

That's all for now. I'll be posting more as soon as possible!

Tych_sel

5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love this court and Jinn's discussions. Nice to see the story again and tags please

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome stuff. I will be watching this thread avidly, as before. Hugs!

7. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Obi-Wan: Glad you liked the back and forth between Qui-Gon and the lawyers. I had a lot of fun writing it.

Jade_eyes: Glad to have you back!

"The state calls Jedi Master Tholme to the stand," Saraam said.

"Is it really necessary to hear a repeat of the same accusations that the previous Jedi offered?" Sotek asked.

"Master Tholme saw more of what Valdra's actions…"

"Supposed actions," Sotek said. "My client has not been convicted on any charge."

"I retract my previous statement," Saraam said. "May we continue, or must we endure more of the defense counsel's posturing?"

"I do not posture," Sotek said. "I merely wish to emphasize my client's innocence." He nodded to Saraam. "I am prepared to continue, unless you feel that you require a recess to reevaluate your strategy."

"I require no such recess," Saraam said. She turned to the gallery. "Master Tholme, if you would?" Tholme rose, and made his way to the stand. After he had been sworn in, a process that he considered most unusual, he sat down. "You beamed down to the surface with Captain Kirk and the rest of the landing party, did you not?"

"I did, but I merely acted as an observer." Valdra snorted at the reply.

"I would ask that the counsel for the defense control his client," Saraam said. "Otherwise, we can hardly proceed in a civilized manner."

"Counsel is so informed," the First Minister said, glaring at Sotek as only a Vulcan could glare. In other words, he looked at Sotek with a measure of disapproval and disappointment.

"And rather than stay with the rest of the landing party, you and your apprentice saw fit to strike out on your own, did you not?"

"I did. Master Jinn and I concluded that it would best serve all if we were to get a read on all levels of society, in order to best advise the Vegans on how to undo whatever damage the then-unknown Darksider had done."

"What made you head for the slums? Wouldn't the greatest damage have been inflicted at the heights of power?"

"It might be most evident there," Tholme said, "but the effects on the unfortunate are perhaps greater, and less easy to see."
    "You have experienced this elsewhere?"

"Objection," Sotek said. "This whole line of questioning is immaterial."

"If the court will grant me a little leeway, the material nature will be made plain."

"The court will grant you some leeway, Councilor, but you need to prove the relevance of this line or we will strike it from the record," the First Minister said.

"Thank you, Minister," Saraam said, then turned back to Tholme. "Have you experienced this elsewhere?"

"There are some worlds in the Republic where the law is not as enforced as it should be," Tholme said. "Worlds in which, I am sad to say, things such as slavery still exist. Often, it is those who cannot afford to fight the wealthy and powerful who find themselves crushed, while the wealthy enrich themselves."

"And you thought that the defendant might be engaging in such behavior?"

"I thought she might have stepped on a few toes in her apparent rise to power," Tholme said.

"So you weren't looking for the defendant, but rather evidence of her actions."

"The Dark Side doesn't care who gets hurt," Tholme said, "and usually, neither do those who employ it."

Saraam turned to Sotek. "Your witness," she said.

"I have no questions for Master Tholme at this time," Sotek said.

"The witness is excused," the Minister said.

That's all that I have for now. I'll be posting more as soon as I get it written. Hopefully, it won;t take as long as this update did!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome courtroom tennis [face_laugh] - hard to see/tell which side is winning [face_thinking] or even ahead -- Love the Jedis' composure. :D And their compelling and true answers about the true nature of evil and those who use it for their own ends =D=

9. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade: Glad you're enjoying the courtroom scenes!

Okay, I know it's been a while, but I've been trying to take advantage of the last nice weather we'll see in Wisconsin before winter arrives, so I haven't had much time to write. But here's the next portion, and though it's short, I hope you'll enjoy it!

Chapter 11

"They aren't going to turn her over to the Jedi," Sanava said. Saraam had rested the government's case, and the Minister had called a recess. "Sotek's been objecting in all the right places."

"He hasn't begun to present a good case for granting her asylum," Saraam said. "And his case, once he does begin, is going to be based entirely on the premise that the Jedi aren't from the Federation, and that they therefore cannot take custody of a Federation citizen."

"Which Valdra is not," Sanava said. "Do you think he'll risk putting her on the stand?"

"I don’t think so. He's got to know that we'd be able to take her apart on cross-examination. Though if he would choose to take that option, we will have to be careful. Though the judges are Vulcans, and therefore not as likely to succumb to their emotions, we do not want to be seen as bullying the witness."

"Is it possible that he's setting us up for something?"

"Because he chose not to cross-examine Master Tholme? I'm not sure. It's an odd play, but one that I was prepared for. I think it's more likely he would go after one of the apprentices, and hope that their version differs enough from that of their teachers'."

"I thought that they weren't present for the confrontation that led to Valdra's arrest."

"They were not, but that doesn't mean that Sotek won’t bring them to the stand just to try and make it seem as if the Masters might be hiding something. Or he'll try to convince the judges that because something prior to the confrontation doesn't fit, the tale of Valdra's arrest is incorrect as well." She rose. "We'll get lunch, and see if we can try to plan what our opponent's strategy might be. Then, we'll move from there."

"And if we're wrong?"

"Then Sotek may manage to hand me a defeat, something that would please him, not that he'd ever show it."

"That would be rather un-Vulcan of him," Sanava said.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

Jade_eyes likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: Great little convo there on possible next strategy. =D= It's as antsy for the lawyers as for the clients -- which way is it likely to go? Especially since you cannot go by time of deliberation - short versus long as an indicator. [face_thinking]

Looking forward to the case wrap :cool: and the afterwards/down time for bantering, etc. [face_mischief] [face_batting]

Oooh, winter LOL here in Florida usually if you blink winter's over. :p I wish we could eke out more of an autumn, I love fall and spring. :)

11. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Thanks for the replies. Glad you're sticking with this, even though I've been taking really long breaks between posts. Most of that's due to Real Life sneaking up and ambushing me, but the next post is ready, so here it is!

"The defense chooses not to call any witnesses at this time," Sotek said. One could have heard a pin drop in the room.

"Does this mean that you choose to rest your case, Counselor?" the First Minister asked.

"No," Sotek said. "I rather call upon the court to issue an immediate verdict. I have argued, or attempted to argue, that this court has no right to detain my client, and even less right to deliver her to these Jedi, of whom we know little or nothing. Such an act violates every letter of Federation law."

"If Councilor Sotek wishes to offer his opinion, he should do so during his closing statement," Sanava said.

"I find that I must agree with the counselor for the prosecution," the Minister stated, his voice utterly without emotion. "If you do not intend to present any witnesses, then we shall move on."

"Then the court refuses to grant my motion?" Sotek asked.

"This court was convened due to extenuating circumstances," the Minister said. "The courts of Vega wanted no part of it, and the defendant's request for asylum depends on the outcome."

"So there is some condition on which my client would be able to claim the rights that are properly hers," Sotek said. "I then ask that the president of Vega, the chief accuser in this case, submit himself for examination."

Sanava looked to the Minister, whose face might as well have been stone. "Your Honor, to ask the head of state of an ally to…"

"The defendant has a right to confront her accusers," the Minister said. "That is a bastion of both Federation and interstellar law that this court, or any court that wishes to be considered fair, cannot break. Until the president is available, this court stands in recess." He and the other two ministers rose, and exited the room.

"That was not what I expected," Saraam said from her seat.

"Nor I," Sanava said as she returned to the table and began gathering her files. She spared a glance at Sotek and Valdra, and caught the defendant's eye. Valdra smiled, as though she already knew the outcome of the trial, and the small secret pleased her. "I think things just got a whole lot more complicated."

That's all for now. More is to come soon, once I figure my way around the writer's block that's recently risen in front of me.

Tych_sel

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome twist. =D= As for the writer's block, as one who has initiated and also been part of, conversations to brainstorm, the conversation feature on the new boards is wonderful for that. You can invite up to 5 to pitch in with ideas. ;) With the old boards, you'd either have to have five separate PMs going or start a discussion thread :p

Anakin'sFanSince1983 is a terrific AU author who could help with trial resolutions =D= having written a great one in Under Fire. :cool:

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Still following this story and it's nice with all the twists and turns in the courtroom

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Blimey LOL need to bump this to the front [face_batting] @};-

15. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Thanks for the offer of help with the writer's block issue. I think I worked it out on my own. I do appreciate the bump up.

early_bird: Glad you're still keeping up with this, even when the author appears to disappear for months...

My apologies to everybody for the delay in getting a new post up, but I bought myself a new PC a few weeks back, and wound up having to transfer everything from the old one via flash drives, and then make sure that it all ported over. It was a bit time consuming, and took most of my free time. But now that it's done, I should have more time to write.

"You want to do what?" Kirk had asked Saraam when she had presented the defense's request. Now, Kirk was looking at the image of Admiral Pike, and facing the same question.

"I need to allow the defense in a asylum hearing to examine the president of Vega," Kirk replied, and then waited for Pike to tell him that he was out of his mind.

"You want to allow the head of state of a potential ally, one that the diplomatic corps has spent the last year wooing, to be examined in a case where you don’t necessarily believe asylum should be granted? Captain, if I didn't know better, I'd think you were under some sort of spell."

"It's possible that I am," Kirk admitted. "But if that is the case, then the person in question is the one casting it, and she's also managed to hoodwink three Vulcan ministers, who are aboard to adjudicate the matter."

"Captain, the mission as designed was simple. You were to go to Vega, show the flag, and then bring the diplomatic team home when they'd completed their mission. Instead, you've managed to create what is threatening to become an interstellar incident."

"I assure you, sir, that was not my intention."

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions, Captain," Pike replied dryly. He sighed, and shook his head. "The only way to resolve this is to involve President Jaraam?"

"Unless some legal genius can figure out how to avoid bringing him into it without giving Valdra's lawyer a opening for an appeal large enough to fly a starship through."

"I will pass word of this request on to Starfleet Command. They will decide what to do regarding the situation. Can you persuade the Vulcan's to give us a little time to try and sort this all out?"

"I'm probably the last person who should be talking to them. After all, there is already hostility between the counselor for the defense and myself. If he catches me talking to the judge..."

"You've made your point, Captain. I'll see if there's anything I can do to hurry the decision."

"I could, however, have Commander Spock talk to them. After all, he could make it seem as though his initial reason would be to check on the status of the Vulcan settlement."

"I thought Vulcan's were incapable of lying," Pike said.

"I didn't say he'd lie," Kirk said. "But he doesn't have to say everything he's feeling, which I can say with some certainty is a skill that he's definitely mastered."

"Only if he's comfortable with the situation, Captain," Pike said.

"Yes, sir."

"And Captain? Don;t screw this up any more than you already have."

"Understood, sir."

"Pike out." The insignia of Stafleet Command replaced Pike's image, and Kirk turned away from the monitor. "Kirk to Spock," he said as he activated the comm. "Could you report to my cabin, Commander?"

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully, the next post will come a little more quickly than this one did.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yesness! Loved the Jim/Pike exchange :D And the commentary on Spock there ;) :* :* !!!! On a side note, I just finished an upgrade to my PC, and whew! It took more a couple steps :p -- and next time, I may just do the huge transfer via thumb/flash drives (especially my custom settings & custom programs.) :rolleyes:

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Kirk has always great ideas and Spock in it: nice to see where that leads

Jade_eyes likes this.
  18. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Interesting, I am enjoying this move into star trek as well as star wars.

19. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Glad you liked the Kirk/Pike exchange. There's one lime between those two that I'm holding onto until we near the end.

obiwan: Things always get better when Kirk & Spock are on the same page, don't they?

Gkilkenny: Glad you like this little crossover fic.

And here comes some more!

"The prosecution is dragging its heels in producing the witness, and the commander of this vessel is aiding them. Meanwhile, my client in confined to a cell that offers little in creature comforts, and is denied the right of visitation granted under Federation law." Sotek approached the judges. "Once again, I must ask the bench to order the prosecution to fulfill its responsibilities."

"Your client is being confined because she proved herself a danger to this ship," Sanava said, rising from her seat behind the table. "As for the witness, we are working with the government of Valdra to arrange a time when it is convenient for the president."

"And why should we have to wait upon his schedule?" Sotek queried. "Isn't it due to his insecurity, his inability to account for his own actions, and his lust for power that we are all assembled here today?"

"Councilor," the First Minister said from the judge's table, "you will refrain from offering your opinion of why we are assembled. As for the witness, I have it on the word of Commander Spock that the Federation is pressuring President Jaraana to cooperate."

"That's all well and good," Sotek said. "It still doesn't change the fact that my client languishes in a cell."

"As I stated before, it was your client's own actions that led to her confinement, If she could offer some proof that she is capable of controlling herself..."

"You would place limits on what she can do? Who is to judge what is appropriate for someone who merely seeks to live her life?"

"Counselors," the First Minister said, "these arguments are appropriate for closings. Unless you wish to move directly into that part of these proceedings, I suggest you leave such statements for a time when you are prepared."

"Yes, Minister," Sanava said, returning to her seat. "I'm not sure if we gained anything there or not," she said softly.

"Something you wish to share, Counselor?"

"No, sir," Sanava said.

"Very well. Tpo answer to question of producing a witness, not only is the Federation pressuring the president of Valdra, but the Vulcan government is working independently as well. However, until such as time as the president can be produced, I have to declare a recess. However, should the prosecution fail to produce the witness withing 48 hours, I will declare a mistrial, and grant Ms. Valdra temporary asylum on Vulcan, until a proper hearing can be rescheduled. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Minister."

"Then I believe we are done here."

"I'll keep working to expedite your release," Sotek said as a pair of security officers stepped forward. "A moment with my client, please." The guards stepped back.

"Just make sure that those Jedi stay out of this," Valdra said. "They are the threat, not these lackeys. The Jedi have woven a web of deceit, and all of these fools have fallen for their act."

"We have nothing to offer as proof," Sotek said.

"How else do you think they arranged this sham trial? And who do you think it is that's pulling the captain's strings? Consider that in the time we have." She turned, as though to leave, then turned back and hissed, "get me out of here, fast."

"I am working on it, but it will take time."

"You're running out of time, and I'm running out of patience."

"Patience is the greatest virtue you can have right now. The law will side with us."

"I'm not so sure." Then Valdra surrendered herself to the guards, and allowed herself tot be escorted away.

That's all I have for now, but I hope to get more written this weekend!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Cool stuff with the legal wrangling =D= [face_thinking]

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    The Jedi should come to help.
    Valdra is sneaky

Jade_eyes likes this.
  22. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Glad you liked the legal wrangling. There's some interesting stuff coming up.

earlybird: Valdra is far sneakier than she lets on. But then again, so was Palpy, and htings didn't work out so well for him, did they?

Okay, it's been months since I've posted, for which I apologize. It's been a combination of working overtime, as well as spending a lot of free time looking up stuff on cars. But the trigger's been pulled on that, so I ought to have some more time free for writing.

Chapter 12

"What are we going to do if they don't rule in our favor," Quinlan asked. "We can't simply allow them to release her, not with us knowing what she is."

"This isn't the Republic, Quin," Tholme said. "Their laws and wishes need to be respected."

"But she's halfway to becoming a Sith," Quin said.

"She is deep in the grip of the Dark Side," Obi-Wan said. "And we know what Master Yoda says about the Dark Side and one's destiny."

"I refuse to believe that anyone us completely beyond redemption," Qui-Gon said. "As for what we can do, I must agree with Master Tholme. Even if this was the Republic, we would be constrained by the laws. The Jedi Order is not a law unto itself."

"But we do have an obligation to protect these people from the threat that she represents. If she continues to play her way through politicians, she could enact the sort of totalitarian government that we have always feared the Sith would enjoy," Tholme said. "History has shown that the Sith do not share power."

"But she is not a Sith," Qui-Gon said. "If we took her with us, perhaps we could show her that the path she's on is going to destroy her. But it would have to be done with her consent."

"I think we know that isn't going to happen," Quin snarked.

"If they turn her over to us," Obi-Wan asked, "what do we do with her? We can't leave her here, we can't stay here to keep an eye on her, and we can't take her with us without her consent and not risk leaving ourselves open to the Dark Side."

"I think that's actually the better question. If they don't turn her over, we can do little," Tholme said. "But if they think that they can avoid the issue by handing her over, then they place all the decisions on us."

"If they turn her over to us, then we must judge her ourselves," Qui-Gon said.

"Whatever we do, it must be in concert with the will of the Force," Obi-Wan said. "We must make her see that we are acting in her best interest."

"In her best interest, my young Padawan?" Qui-Gon asked. "Are we capable of acting in her best interest? Or rather, are we capable of acting solely in her best interest?"

"Master, aren't we more familiar with the Force than she is? Wouldn't taking her back with us and allowing one of the members of the Council..."

"The Council would never allow her to be trained, Padawan," Tholme said. "Only the Dark Woman would think of trying, and she is not exactly on the Council's most trusted list."

"There's only so much we can discuss in theory. I have a feeling that the defense counsel will be calling one of us to testify before this is over," Qui-Gon said. "We can only do what circumstances demand of us, and follow the will of the Living Force."

That's all for now. More will come as soon as it's written, and hopefully it will come without a two month break!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

Jade_eyes likes this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice to see this story continuing and a very great discussion here in this very nice update.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, =D= :cool: cool discussion. And I look forward very much to how things turn out.

25. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Ah, found this again...and am all caught up. Nasty woman to try to turn the thoughts of the courts against the Jedi...but she is devious.

Glad to see you are continueing this...please tag me when you update, ok? :)