main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Crossroads of the Force (SW/ST crossover) Completed 6/1

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    earlybird: There certainly are some comparisons that could be made, aren't there?

Okay, sorry for the long break, but I've had some stuff going on in my life of late that's made it really tough to find time to sit down and write, and even when I had the time, the inclination just wasn't there. But hopefully, that's past and I can get back to this fic.

"Commander, we're receiving a hail from Earth," Uhura said, turning to face Spock. "It's Admiral Pike asking to speak to the captain." Suddenly, every pair of eyes on the bridge was focused on the Vulcan first officer. Vulcan's were supposed to be incapable of lying, but if Spock was going to keep Kirk out of trouble this time, it was going to take a lie.

"Put the admiral through, Lieutenant," Spock said. A moment later, Pike's image appeared on the screen.

"Commander Spock," Pike said. "I thought I made it clear that I needed to speak with your captain."

"Captain Kirk is currently indisposed, Admiral," Spock said. "Is there a message I can relay to him?"

"Inform him that Starfleet is still reviewing the situation. He is to take no action that could further jeopardize the Federation agenda with regards to Vega. And tell him that he is not to transport to the surface for any reason without first consulting Command."

"The Vegans may request?"

"Then he can contact us at that time," Pike said, cutting Spock off. "I don?t think I have to explain just how crucial it is that we make our position on the issue clear. Though a Federation membership was under consideration, this is an internal matter for the Vegans. We can't interfere, much as we'd like to."

"Admiral, would it not be in everyone's best interest to investigate the situation, and thereby determine the cause of the unrest?"

"More than likely, it would, Commander. Unfortunately, the Federation Council has determined that to interfere with the politics of a potential member world would be as disastrous as if we were to ignore the Prime Directive."

"I would agree that it is not our place to tell the Vegans how to run their government," Spock said. "But we can gather information, and attempt to understand what is happening down there."

Pike considered the opportunity. "Very well, Spock. But nobody is to go down to Vega to get ground intelligence. And the next time I call, I will want to speak with Captain Kirk."

"Understood, Admiral."

"Pike out." The image on the screen flicked out.

"Currently indisposed, sir? Isn't that something of a lie?" Sulu asked.

"A slight bending of the truth," Spock replied. "The captain is not able to answer, therefore, he is indisposed."

Sulu suppressed a chuckle. "Just one more reason I would never try to play poker with you, Commander."

That's all for now, folks. I'm at work on a Tholme/Quin post next.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed catching up. Quin is so fun and snarky I like him LOL The plan to split up in teams is great -- for info gathering -- it can get iffy if one of them's captured and the others don't know it [face_thinking]

Latest post -- Spock doing the certain point of view thingy with Pike [face_laugh] [face_laugh] It's always best to have more information but the horse has already left the barn [face_mischief] i.e. the landing team has left already -- oops! [face_laugh] Have to get permission later [face_laugh]

~~

Hope the Enterprise will play a major role in later stuff -- Spock at the conn has always been hawt for me -- and that was in Timeline A -- much less now.
    :cool: =P~
    [:D]

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice update with Spock telling a 'lie';)

4. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Glad you liked catching up. I wish the wait hadn't been so long, but sometimes life throws us a curveball or two. Writing in the "Point of view" thing seemed natural, it fits with some of what Spock Prime did during his Starfleet career, and I can't see JJ's Spock doing the opposite, though his methods might be different.

earlybird: Not a lie, a certain point of view.

Okay, here comes the next post, as Quin and Tholme take to the streets

"You always find such interesting places, Master," Quin said as he and Tholme disembarked from the tram in what appeared the cleanest building for a block on either side. "And it looks like things are going to get even moreso."

The breeze that made its way down the street kicked up small pieces of refuse, and the air stank of too many unwashed bodies crammed too closely together. "Makes you almost wish for Coruscant, doesn't it, Quin," Tholme said, his face screwing up slightly as he took his first breath of the area's rank air.

"Even some of the lower parts of Coruscant smell better than this, Master," Quin said. "But then, you did say that being a Jedi wasn't always the cleanest job in the world."

"More often than not, it isn't," Tholme said. "And like a lot of the jobs that really need doing, it's one that's usually pretty thankless."

"Well, the sooner we get going, the sooner we can get back to where it smells better," Quin said.

"Well said, my apprentice," Tholme replied. They set forth, doing their best to avoid both the trash in the streets and footpaths, as well as the beings laid out near the outer walls of the various establishments along the road. Some pulled away as the Jedi approached, but one rose from his stupor.

"Thi'ee my," he said, the words slurring together.

"And we aren't going to try and take it," Tholme said. "We merely seek information."

"Here? Noboee come here that don?t need," the vagrant replied.

"Our friends want to make things better," Quin said. "But they don't know that things are this bad. We need your help, so that we can explain it."

"Quinlan," Tholme said warningly.

"Trust me on this, Master," Quin said. "Besides, doesn't Master Qui-Gon always say that we should help whenever possible?"

"Master Qui-Gon has a habit of sticking his nose where it doesn't belong, and trying to help in situations that are none of his affair. It's going to get him in trouble with the Council one of these days."

"From what Obi-Wan's told me, it already has," Quin said.

"Just promise me you're not going to start collecting strays," Tholme said. "That business on Ryloth was bad enough."

"She was worth it, though, wasn't she?"

"That remains to be seen, Quinlan. She does show potential."

"I can," the vagrant said, interrupting the discussion. "I can help."

"You've been here some time?" Tholme asked.

"Dunno how long. Long time. And I hid the last time the Others was here." The capital letter in "Others" struck both Jedi.

"What do you mean, Others?"

"The ones from above," the vagrant said. "Zey come through, take anybody who didn't hide."

"Sounds like a sweep of some sort," Quinlan said. "Either that or a purge. For some reason, these "Others" wanted to make the place seem?"

"Clean?" Tholme asked. "Maybe our Federation friends don?t realize that things here may not be as they seem."

"Wouldn't be the first time someone's tried that," Quinlan said.

"Coming here is starting to yield some fruit. This fellow may yet be of some use, even if he doesn't look it."

That's it for now, but the focus will be shifting to the other pair in the next post.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice update with Tholme and Quin.

Please continue soon[face_dancing]

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Quin and Tholme -- LOL Great banter and warmth between them -- hee! I see they have a less than fond view of Qui-Gon's run ins with the Council :p

Hmmm. The find on Ryloth ... o_O ;)

Potential -- [face_mischief]

7. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    earlybird: Glad you liked it!

Jade_eyes: I think Tholme's just a bit more of a realist than Qui-Gon is. But there certainly is a bond between Master and apprentice, so I'm glad I was able to get that right.

Okay, here comes the next post, which lack of time has delayed in getting posted.

"This reminds me of Corellia," Obi-Wan said as he and Qui-Gon made their way through the streets. "Though I'd expect it to be busier."

"Perhaps we arrive during working hours, Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon replied. "Not everyone has their leisure on the same schedule."

"But even so, shouldn't there be some people out running errands? Or droids, if this planet is anything like the worlds of the Republic?"

"Perhaps you're right, Obi-Wan. Something like this bears investigating. And I can think of nowhere better to start than that small restaurant over there. It doesn't look too high-class, so we should get a relatively good cross-section of the population."

"Master, you're sounding like a political analyst," Obi-Wan said.

Qui-Gon chuckled. "You'd best be careful, my young Padawan. Master Dooku might take a liking to your thinking." They entered the restaurant, a small bell tinkling as they did so. "It's comforting to know that some things don't change," Qui-Gon said as they approached the counter.

"How many?" the hostess asked, with what seemed to Qui-Gon almost a forced smile.

"Just the two of us," he replied, and she gestured for the two Jedi to follow.

"Your server will be with you," she said, and then left them in silence.

"Something is wrong here, Master," Obi-Wan said. "It's too quiet."

Qui-Gon looked around, suddenly aware of the fact that everyone in the restaurant was silently eating, or else waiting for their food with nary a word. "You're right, Obi-Wan." He rose, and headed for one of the other tables. "Excuse me," he said, "but our table seems to be missing?"

"I don't want any trouble," the man at the table said, looking up at Qui-Gon. "And if you don't want any, I'd suggest you return to your seat."

"I'm afraid I'm new to the area," Qui-Gon said. "Why would asking a simple question cause difficulties?"

"Because when the fire is buzzing by, you don't put your head up unless you want it lopped off," the man said. Then he turned back to his meal, focusing on the thick slab of some purplish meat before him. Realizing he wasn't going to get anything out of the man voluntarily, and not ready to resort to Force persuasion, Qui-Gon returned to the table.

"You're right, Obi-Wan. Something is definitely wrong, and I sense the Dark Side at work." Qui-Gon sat down, even as Obi-Wan started to rise. "No," he said, laying a hand on his apprentice's arm.

"But Master, if the Dark Side's at work?"

"We'll attract more attention if we break the mold," Qui-Gon said. "We'll have our meal, and then begin looking. Besides, it could be some time before we're able to eat in peace again, especially if we start interfering in someone's plans."

That's all for now. More will be coming as soon as it's ready!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, I think Qui and Obi just stirred a hornet's nest of trouble [face_worried] !!!!!

Eagerly awaiting more!!

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Obi and Qui in a restaurant that's asking for trouble to begin;)

Waiting for the next update=D=

10. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Yeah, they might have put their feet in it this time! Question is, will they get out of it without pulling their lightsabers?

earlybird: It is asking for trouble, isn't it. Did you hear the joke about the Jedi who walks into a cantina?

Okay, first off, let me apologize for the lack of regularity in my posts. I've been trying to get more exercise this summer, and it cuts into the time I have available for writing. But as the weather cools, I should be able to start writing more often. Second, let me thank those who nominated this fic for the awards. No excerpt was posted just because I didn't get the message until it was too late. Hopefully, I can keep the quality up on this so that it can be entered in the next round of awards.

And now, on with the show!

"Master, I know you've told me that a Jedi's life isn't always the most glamorous, but this is getting a little out of hand even for us, isn't it?" He looked around the place in which they sat, trying his best to ignore the stench.

"We need the information, my apprentice, and moreover, these people need our help." Tholme looked around the dimly lit hall. "Open yourself to the Force, Quin. These people are full of despair, and they don't seem to know any way out of the role in which society has cast them." He looked up from the table as the street person they'd encountered returned to the table.

"Got a lady comin' ta talk to you," he said.

"Just how did you wind up here?" Quin asked.

"Let's jus' say I took a position some didn't like," the guide said. "Got drummed out, started srinkin', found my way here?"

"And lost yourself in the process," Tholme finished. "You were born in a higher position, but your despair has brought you to this place."

"Look, don't claim to know me," the vagrant said. "You weren't here, you don?t know what they did?"

"You're right," Quin said. "But that doesn't mean we can't try and put things right."

"Too late for that," he said. "What got lost can't be found again."

"No, but that doesn't mean we have to accept the future," Quin said. "A teacher of mine once said, 'Always in motion is the future.' I'd like to think that there is truth to that."

"Look, ya wanted to see the truth of what goes on 'round here. I said I'd show ya. But I never signed on to be preached to. If ya can't deal wit' 'at, then go yer own way."

"Ultimatums can be tricky things," Tholme said. "We'll stay a little longer, since as you say, there is something we need to see."

"We accept your terms," Quin said. "But don't count yourself out." Their guide looked away for a moment, then gestured to a dancer as she came off stage.

"Over 'ere, darlin'." As she made her way towards the table where the Jedi sat, the areas where light hit her skin seemed to shimmer. When she joined the trio, Quin noticed that he skin, while toned in the same purple hue as their guide's, contained mottled areas of deep indigo. He long hair, in contrast, was dyed a shocking shade of orange. "This is Mela," their guide said.

"A pleasure, Masters," the young woman said. "Markas told me that you were seeking some idea of what goes on down here."

"We're attempting to discover the source of the trouble with the Federation of Planets," Quinlan said. "Your friend suggested we see the truth of your world."

"The diplomats," Mela spat. "They've seen what they wanted to see, not what really is. The government hides the truth, and they act like babes in the woods. They use us, then toss us aside like garbage."

"From what we've heard, the Federation wouldn't tolerate such things."

"They don?t know it's happening," Mela said. "They're too blinded by their own desires."

"You say that with a great deal of certainty," Tholme said.

"Because I know from experience," Mela said. "One of them desired me."

That's all for now, folks. I'm almost done with the next post, so I should have it ready by the middle of next week, if not sooner.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great ppost.

Often, those who could ease Mela and others' oppression are not allowed to take the lead -- they're either killed or exiled or otherwise removed by those avaricious and cruel enough to seize power and keep it. Then when real honest to goodness deliverance comes, the general public is cynical and suspicious about their real motives. [face_thinking]

not only do Jim and crew have a whopping lot of decency and integrity but the Jedi do also. And resourcefulness to boot. :D

12. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Great insight into the problems faced by those who do have the moral fiber to stand up against corruption, or even those who seek to embrace change. You're right, though, that Jim, the crew of the Big E, and the Jedi have what it takes to effect change. The question here is whether they have the right. Though it isn't necessarily a Prime Directive question, there are enough factors that one could make a case for non-interference.

Okay, here comes the next post!

"Somehow, Master, I think we're about to run into trouble," Obi-Wan said as he and Qui-Gon finished the last portion of their meal. Qui-Gon peered over the rim of his glass, and caught a reflection of the entryway in a mirror behind Obi-Wan.

"Let's not be rash, Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon said. "They could simply be meeting for a meal following their shift."

"And we just happen to be in the same place?" Obi-Wan replied. "I thought you told me not to believe in coincidence or luck."

"Neither of those are worth paying attention to," Qui-Gon said. "But the will of the Force?" He stopped speaking as one of the uniformed officers made his way to the table.

"I hear you have been asking questions," the officer said flatly.

"I'm afraid we have," Qui-Gon said. "My cousin and I are from another city, and we were unfamiliar with the area. I merely sought to inquire where we might find some diversion." By this time, two more officers, a woman and a young man who appeared to have been a raw recruit had joined the group.

"And why would you require diversion?" the female officer asked. Her expression was stern, but her tone was like liquid methane.

"As my cousin said, we aren't from around here," Obi-Wan began.

"You'd do well to keep your mouth shut until you're spoken to," the recruit said. "When we want you to speak, we'll ask."

"And you'll keep quiet unless you're needed, Rudell," the woman snapped to the recruit. She then turned back to Qui-Gon. "The next time you seek information, check one of the niches on one of the streetcorners. You'd do well to keep your mouths and minds closed." She turned to the officer who had first approached the Jedi. "We're done here, Sergeant."

"I think more of an example should be made?"

"And when you're in charge, you can make that choice. Until then, you'll do as you're told. Unless you really want to find yourself facing another review board?"

"No, ma'am," the chastised sergeant said. The senior officer turned back to the Jedi. "You're getting away with a slap on the wrist because you're new here. Don't make me regret letting you off easy."

"We'll heed your warning, and thank you," Qui-Gon said. His hand dropped from beside his belt, where it had moved during the confrontation, unseen from the officers due to the way he'd been sitting. He wouldn't have need of his lightsaber, but he belatedly recalled that it was hidden inside his tunic, not on his belt. I'll have to remember that, the Jedi Master thought. Especially should we find ourselves in a confrontation of force rather than words.

"See that you do," the officer snapped, and turned on one heel.

That's all for now. Next post should be up next weekend.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_thinking]

Seems like the law enforcement types enforce it more via intimidation than anything else :p

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    nice posts.=D==D=

that law enforcement is trouble in the making[face_thinking]

15. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: They do seem to operate via intimidation, which could be a sign that the Federation ambassador may have had the wool pulled over his eyes.

earlybird: I'd say that they're definitely going to be trouble.

Okay, here comes the next post!

"You're telling me that the entire constabulary is looking for the ambassador?" McCoy said after Kirk told him what he'd learned. It had taken time, and a little persuasion, but the captain had finally pieced together the whole situation.

"After he vanished from the quarters assigned to the delegation," Kirk said. "Apparently, there was something to do with a request for asylum."

"Wait a blasted minute, Jim. Are you sure that our presence here isn't going to create a bigger mess? I mean, it sounds like we've arrived in the middle of a full-blown diplomatic incident. It might serve us better to have Spock contact his father."

"Are you implying that I'm incapable of being diplomatic?" Kirk asked.

Bones shook his head. "You're persistent, and you're persuasive. But that isn't necessarily the same thing as being diplomatic. Sometimes, you have to know when to give a little."

"I can give," Kirk said, affecting a wounded look.

"Jim, that look may work with women, but it's not going to work with me," McCoy said. "Now, if you were looking for someplace safe to hide?"

"I'd probably head for the last place that I'd be looked for," Kirk said. "Which in this case means one of three things. Either we're looking for the lowest, dingiest, most despicable dive on the planet?"

"Which Tholme and his apprentice are already looking into," Bones interrupted.

"Or, we're looking for someplace in the middle class, since ambassadors are supposed to be able to represent the common person?"

"Again, that is being looked into by the Jedi. And the third option?"

"I'd head for the most glamorous place in town," Kirk finished. "So while the Jedi are looking into why this happened, and perhaps stumbling onto our ambassador and his party, we'll go looking especially for him."

"Jim, I doubt he used his real name."

"Which means we'll have to get a little help." Kirk pulled his communicator from his belt.

"Are you sure that's the wisest choice, Jim?"

"Why not?" Kirk asked. It's not as if I'm planning on calling Earth." Bones rolled his eyes. "Kirk to Enterprise."

That's all for now, folks. I'll try and get the next post up sometime this week.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great exchange. =D=

=D=

A down home version of Thrawn and Pellaeon [face_laugh] ;)

McCoy does make a great sounding board :)

Spock too of course in a different way -- that's why they balance each other so well :D

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved that bickering between Kirk and McCoy=D= that's them.=D=
    And waiting for the next post[face_dancing]=D=

18. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Spock & McCoy do make great sounding boards, and they both also act to keep Jim from doing something he'll regret.

earlybird: Glad I managed to get those two right!

Okay, here's the next post.

Interlude II

This wasn't going the way that she'd planned it. Oh, the ambassador's human aide was all but tripping over his own feet to make the restriction of staying in the suite of rooms they'd taken up residence in easier, but the Vulcan seemed to be keeping the ambassador on an even keel. And I need him eating out of my hand if I'm to begin to use his authority for my own purposes, Valdra thought. The Vulcan, she realized, would have to go. Then she could begin to make use of the Andorian's carefully leashed but smoldering emotions.

I should be out of here, she thought. The fact that Jaraana was making such a fuss indicated that she'd done her job well with him, perhaps a little too well. It seemed he was willing to risk an interplanetary incident over her choice to leave him, but wasn't that what choice sometimes meant. Oh, she'd known about the way Jaraana used the police forces, and in some ways, she approved. This, however, was not one of those times.

To make matters worse, she'd been sensing something pushing at the corner of her mind. Usually so clear, so laid out, she found it sometimes difficult to call upon the abilities that had served her so well. It was the same sort of thing she'd felt any time the sun had struck her full in the face, a momentary blindness, followed by a slightly fuzzed impression. But what she knew, what she did, had nothing to do with visible light; it was something beyond anything the average person could see. She could see lines of possibility, lines of opportunity, but those lines were getting snarled.

"Is something bothering you?" Sam asked her.

"I'm sorry," she said, though she had to admit, she didn't need him intruding on her thoughts rioght now. "I just never meant to cause this kind of fuss."

"It's not your fault that the president can't seem to separate his personal feelings from his professional ones."

"But now I've put everything in jeopardy." She frowned, allowing her lips to form a slight pout. "I've put your life in jeopardy. If Jaraana's forces find you, they'll arrest you, and he'll kill you." She then allowed her expression to shift again. "And I'll?" A waver entered her voice. "I'll never escape him."

"That's not going to happen. When the ambassador makes contact with the Enterprise?"

"What if he can't?"

"Ambassador Yunis will find a way," Sam said. "And if what I've heard about Captain Kirk is true, he's not going to let someone like your president stand between him and saving our butts."

"But what if he can't?"

"Then I'll make sure that your president can't hurt you again," Sam said. "Even if I have to pay for it with my life, I'll see him taken down."

"But aren't you afraid?"

"Of course I am. Everyone's afraid a little bit, even Sovek."

"I'm glad you're here, Sam," Valda said. "You make me less afraid." Until I can dispense with you too, she thought. Then she snuggled into his waiting arms, and began to let her mind work on the next steps of her plans. She would have to find some way to aid the ambassador in making contact with the Enterprise. And that would allow her to finally kick this planet's dust from her boots. She deserved better, and she would get it.

That's all for now. Chapter 7's first post will return us to Quin & Tholme.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    What is she planning and what are her powers?

Intriguing update[face_thinking]

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great interlude.

:D

21. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    earlybird: As far as Valdra's abilities go, I'm not going to say. Better to let some mystery remain, isn't it?

jade_eyes: Glad you liked it.

And the next post is piping-hot and ready to go!

Chapter 7

"What do you mean, one of them desired you?" Quinlan asked.

"I was hired, along with a few of the club's other dancers, as entertainment for a party that was being thrown for some of the first Federation negotiators. I suppose that the president wanted to show that even the lower classes were well treated."

"From what we've seen, that isn't the case."

"You're right about that," Mela said. "The party was also a sort of kickback from the government to those who had helped keep the politicians in office long enough for them to guarantee that it would be their names that went down in the history books. One of those fundraisers had seen me here, and wanted to get a more private experience."

"I think I see where this is headed," Tholme said. "You don't have to explain any more, my dear."

"I told him he could shove it," Mela said. "Ever since, the police have turned a blind eye to what goes on here, except when they need to clean the place up. And that's only led to more crime. I think it's only a matter of time before someone really starts to organize. And when that happens, good people are going to get hurt."

"Sounds like the sort of thing the Hutts would love," Quin said.

Mela looked confused. "What's a Hutt?"

"Nothing that you need to concern yourself with," Tholme said. "My apprentice here was merely talking out of turn."

"Well, you'd better cure him of that," Mela said, rising. "It's likely it'll get him killed around here." She looked at the vagrant. "Fryd, I'll be on again in a few moments. Perhaps you could hang around here long enough for your friends to see what I do."

"Actually, I think there's more that we need to see," Tholme said. "Another time, perhaps."

"Another time," she said. "Don?t let anything happen to that young one," she said. "He's actually kinda cute." She flashed a teasing smile in Quin's direction, and made her way back through the crowd.

"You know that she probably uses that line a dozen times a night," Tholme told Quin, as he watched his apprentice gaze after the dancer. "Besides, we have a job to do."

"You know, attitudes like that are what make the average person wary of Jedi," Quin said. "But I understand, Master. I'm not going to let myself get attached."

"You say there's more you gents need to see?" Fryd asked. "I kin show ya more if you need it."

"For now, we just need to find a place to rest," Tholme said. "It's been a long day for us."

"Crash wid me," Fryd said. "I kin keep an eye out for ya then. This place ain't the safest fer newbies."

"Very well," Tholme said, after a moment of contemplation.

"Master," Quin said softly, "are you certain we can trust him?"

"Right now, Quin, we have very few options, and we have even fewer allies. Better not to throw awat the one who seems to want to help. And I sense that there is more to him than meets the eye, just as there is more to you than is readily apparent."

"I just hope you're right, Master."

"So do I, Padawan. So do I."

That's all for now, folks! Next post should be up next weekend, though I might get it up a little sooner if things work out during the week.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Love the back and forth between Mela and the Jedi :D

Hutts are definitely not something one wants to think about much less run across.

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    loved that. Quin and Tholme interacting with Mela=D==D=

24. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Yeah, I'd rather stay away from Hutts too! ;)

earlybird: Glad you liked the interaction between Mela and Quin. Maybe that's where he gets his attraction to women not wearing much???

Okay, back to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

Qui-Gon used some of the currency that Kirk had replicated for them before they'd left the Enterprise to settle the bill at the restaurant, and he and Obi-Wan exited, both noticing the police presence that seemed far more obvious than when they'd entered. "The locals must be looking for the ambassador as well," Qui-Gon said.

"Master, wouldn't it help us to locate the ambassador if we knew why he fled in the first place? It doesn't make sense."

"There are a number of things about this situation that don't make sense, Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon replied, heading down the sidewalk in what appeared a randomly chosen direction. As he walked, he ticked off a couple of points. "The government requests an ambassador be dispatched to discuss final arrangements for membership in the Federation, which seems a diplomatic society. Then, the ambassador disappears, and the government attempts to cut off all attempt to make contact. They threaten the ship sent to provide support, and the police forces go to high alert. Finally, we have the incident in the restaurant?"

"Where the citizens seem to be beaten down, and fearful," Obi-Wan said. "If I didn't know better, I'd suspect that the Dark Side is at work."

"While I wish I could say that your fears are unjustified, I'm afraid that I sense the presence of the Dark Side as well. I'm simply uncertain at this point what we're dealing with. Obviously, this isn't a planet of Sith, or we would have been dealt with in a much different fashion."

"I gathered that much, Master. So what do we do now?"

"We have two options as I see it," Qui-Gon said. "We can continue to look for the ambassador, and gather further information regarding the society, or we can try and address what is likely to prove the root of the problem."

"Either option would seem to present a good deal of risk," Obi-Wan said. "But I think we need to address the root problem. Otherwise, as soon as we leave, things will return to their current state."

"I agree," Qui-Gon said. "And if I were to try and control a populace, what better place than the Presidential palace?"

"You suspect the planet's president?"

"Unlikely," Qui-Gon said. "If it was the president, the police forces would be looking for us specifically. I imagine it to be someone close to the president, and it is their actions that led to the wild turnabout in the president's attitude."

"So how do we find out who it is? We have no authority here."

"We may not, but I suspect that Captain Kirk might. We will need to rendezvous with him, and explain out plan. Hopefully, he can offer some help."

"And what of Master Thole and Quin?"

"If I know Tholme, he's going to be coming to a similar conclusion. I further suspect that if we're right about the person responsible drawing on the Dark Side, that that individual will run from us to the darkest corners of society."

"And Tholme will be waiting. Master, sometimes I think you're a little too devious for your own good."

"I suspect that my own Master might be to blame for that," Qui-Gon said with a slight smile. "Master Dooku has always been one for wheels within wheels logic. Yoda once said regarding him that 'prepare for an extra layer, when confronting him in argument you must.'"

That's all for now. More to come as soon as I get it written!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    nice post and what Qui-Gon said about Dooku[face_thinking] He turned to the Dark side.