main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Crossroads of the Force (SW/ST crossover) Completed 6/1

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    earlybird: Glad you enjoyed the discussion. It's always easier to write such scenes when Jedi are involved.

Jade_eyes: Thanks. More is coming.

obimom: Glad you've had a chance to catch up, though the author seems to have disappeared... ;)

Okay, after an absence that has been way too long, I'm back with the next post, which is a little longer than usual. I know it doesn't make up for being gone for almost two months, but there, I said it.

The judges had reconvened, and the First Minister looked towards the prosecution. "I do not see President Jaraam among us. Does this mean you have failed to procure him?"

"Unfortumately, the President is proving less than cooperative," Saraam said. "That said..."

"That said, I must agree with the defense counsel that the accused has not been given a chance to face those who besmirch her name. I am, with some reluctance, calling for a mistrial..."

"Before you take actions that you might later regret, Your Honor..."

"I have given you ample time, Commander," the Minister said. "I would caution you that further argument could be seen as contempt for this court."

"In that case, Your Honor, I move for a mistrial," Sotek said.

"However, I am not prepared to make any decision that might favor either side. I declare this court to be in recess..."

"Enough!" Valdra said, shooting to her feet. "I have put up with this sham trial long enough."

"Counselor, control your client," the Minister warned Sotek.

"Control?" Valdra snorted. "I will not be controlled. I should have simply dealt with all of you days ago, rather than sit and listen to others claim to know what is best for me." She closed her eyes, and reached for her power, feeling the way that everything in the room was connected. She felt the guard's hand on hsi phaser, and slightly loosened it. The phaser fell from his grasp, and before it even hit the ground, Valdra had leapt for it. Before anyone could react, she had crossed the space and pressed the phaser's tip into the temple of the man who, moments ago, was prepared to pass judgement upon her.

"This, Minister, is control. You will do as I require, and if you fail to comply, your brains will be the wall's new decoration. Contact the bridge, and have them prepare a shuttle for me."

"I will not," the Minister said. "if you must kill me, then do so. But you have shown here that you do indeed present a danger to all aboard this ship, and perhaps to the galaxy as well."

"I am only a danger to those who cross me. Now do as you have been commanded."

"I will not."

Rage swept over Valdra, increasing her connection to her power. She fired, the phaser's blast erupting into the Minister's skull. Unfortunately for her, but fortunately for the Minister, she hadn't seen fit to adjust the setting on the phaser. Instead of killing him, it delivered a stun blast that even a Vulcan would not be coming out of any time soon. The guards rushed her, but she had already felt their plans, and quickly took them down. "All of you, over there," she said, gesturing to the far corner of the room. No one moved. "Do it," she said, taking a moment to adjust the setting on the phaser. "Or by all your hells, I will kill every last one of you."

"If you kill us, you will have no one to obey your commands," Sotek said. "This behavior is not logical."

"Logic has nothing to do with this. Logic does not move the planets, or cause the birth of stars, Only power does that, and I am in control of such power." Her finger was tightening on the trigger when the conference room doors swished open.

"You rage against all that is," Qui-Gon said. "You seek domination, and think only in absolutes. You rage like a child..."

"You compare me to a child, old man? Then come, see what this child can do. I took you once, and I can do so again." She turned her attention to Tholme, Obi-Wan, and Quinlan, who had entered behind Qui-Gon. "Do you fear to face me alone?"

"No. But I will not endanger innocent lives. Let them go," he gestured to those assembled, "and I will give you the confrontation you seem to so devoutly desire."

"They stay," Valdra said, feeding on the fear in the room as much as the anger inside herself. "They stay, if only because you wish it otherwise." Qui-Gon shook off his outer robe, and drew his lightsaber, though he hesitated to ignite the weapon. "That's very noble of you," Valdra sneered. "Big Master Jedi, and you're about to attack an unarmed woman. Maybe I should turn around, and you can just stab me in the back."

"Obi-Wan, may I borrow your lightsaber?" Qui-Gon asked his apprentice. Ar Obi-Wan's distressed look, he added, "she will not be using it, do not worry." As Obi-Wan turned over his lightsaber, Qui-Gon tossed his own weapon to Valdra. Though he disliked the idea of her tainting it with the Dark Side, he knew that it would be an extra card in his hand if the battle didn't go well, as he was far better attuned to the weapon he'd created than to Obi-Wan's blade, and could make this one do things he couldn't count on being able to achieve with the other. "Shall we begin?"

That's all I have for now, but I'm working on what will hopefully be the duel of the story. More to come!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

obimom and Jade_eyes like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oooh, I can hardly wait. =D= I love it! Qui-Gon with this darthy damsel :p Eagerly eagerly awaiting what happens next. @};- :D

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    A lightsaber duel? Great discussion and action [face_dancing]

Jade_eyes likes this.
  4. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    No chapter numbers?

Just finally found my place...and read the chapter where Sovek met with Valdra...and yes, I forgot that her defense lawyer is a Vulcan...

and Vulcan's usually are not sleazy...he is just doing his job. I like the way he handles Valdra...I do hope she doesn't "finally" push the right button with him, but as a cool, controlled Vulcan..I think she has her work cut out for her...;)

She is the sleazy one...and what happens when someone with force abilities has not guidance or training...

Jade_eyes likes this.
  5. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Aghh...I've caught up....Yes...she revealed herself! ...she just couldn't sit tight and let the courts decide her fate... fortunately...

She certainly does not have Palps patience does she....if he had acted out as she did, he would have been revealed years before he took over...

Qui-Gon is exactly right...she is acting as a child. Can't wait for the duel...

Please update soon!! =D=

Jade_eyes likes this.
  6. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Glad you're enjoying the back-and-forth between Valdra and Qui-Gon. It's really been fun to write it.

obi-wan: Yup, a duel is coming. I just hope it's been worth the wait.

obimom: Yup, even with a cool, controlled, full-blooded Vulcan representing her, she felt it was taking too long. It's too bad that Palpy didn't have her lack of control, as thing might have turned out for the better. If you think she's acting like a child now, well, just wait.

Okay, here comes the duel, or at least, the first part of it.

Valdra reached out and caught the lightsaber that the Jedi had tossed to her with one hand, while maintaining her grip on the phaser in the other. "I should have known you'd try for something more honorable, Master Jedi. Still, four against one?"

"I alone offer you the combat you seek," Qui-Gon replied. "As you can see, my apprentice is now defenseless."

"He is weaponless," Valdra corrected. "As I believe you know, anyone who controls such power as we do is never weaponless."

"Spoken like a true disciple of the Dark Side," Quinlan said. "We shuld have taken her out on Vega."

"And then what would the Vegan, not to mention our current hosts, have to say about us?" Tholme asked his apprentice. He turned his attention back to Qui-Gon. 'If it is comabt she desires, neither I, nor Quin will interfere."

"Is that reassurance enough for you?" Qui-Gon asked, Obi-Wan's lightsaber still unignited in his hand.

"I accept your challenge," Valdra said, igniting the lightsaber. Qui-Gon noted that she didn't discard the phaser, shoving it into the belt of the jumpsuit she'd worn since being brought aboard the Enterprise. She lunged, rather clumsily in the Jedi Master's opinion, but quickly enough that he only had a moment to ignite Obi-Wan's blade and deflect it.

"I expect more of you," Qui-Gon said. 'Your technique was better on Vega."

"Are you goading me, Master Jedi?" Valdra asked. She attacked again, and Qui-Gon stepped back.

'Interpret my questions how you wish,' Qui-Gon said. Then he stepped forward, initiating a series of short slashes that drove Valdra back. When she turned Obi-Wan's blade to deflect Qui-Gon's attack, he backflipped away, once gain putting some distance between them.

"I thought Jedi didn't attack. I thought you said that sort of behavior led to the Dark Side." She drove forward, attempting to mirror Qui-Gon's previous attack, but Qui-Gon easily batted her strikes away.

"You adapt to Ataru quite well," Qui-Gon said. "But using a Form and understanding it are two separate things." He leapt over her, nearly grazing his head on the ceiling. "To truly understand Ataru, you have to let the weapon become a part of you."

"Easy for you to say," Valdra replied through gritted teeth. "You created this blade. Or was that your whole plan? Did you intend to lure me into combat, offer me your own weapon, so that you could turn it against me?"

"You sought combat," Qui-Gon said, continuing th strikes which were keeping Valdra on the defensive. As long as she was focusing all of her attention on him, Tholme, Quin, and Obi-Wan could work on attending to the prisoners. Valdra, however, wasn't going to have any of that. As soon as she saw them moving towards the Ministers and the Jag officers, she threw a table towards them. It caught Tholme in the midsection, driving him to the floor.

"Master!" Quin shouted, his lightsaber lit and ready in his hand.

"Stand down, Padawan," Qui-Gin shouted, even as he deflected an opportunistic strike from Valdra. "You cannot interfere."

"Listen to your Master," Valdra said mockingly. "He knows best. Or does he?" With an animalistic smile, she lunged, then swept Qui-Gon's legs out from under him as raised his blade to block her attack. Then she launched herself into the air, the blade pointed down as though to impale Qui-Gon. The ledi rolled, and the blade sliced into the deck, he heard surprised cries from the deck below. Obviously, no one expected a glowing energy blade to come through the ceiling. Qui-Gon knew that if he stuck to Ataru, she was eventually going to wear him down. He may have the knowledge, and more control over the Force, but she was younger, and her anger and frustration seemed to have no end.

Fortunately, the lightsaber wasn't the only ace Qui-Gon had up his sleeve. While he wasn't anywhere near as accomplished as his old Master, Qui-Gon was more than passingly familiar with the second form of lightsaber combat. He altered his grip slightly, and began paying a little more attention to his footwork. Sensing the change in style, Valdra attacked, her strikes becoming more savage. "Fight me," Vadra snarled, and Qui-Gon realized he'd found her weakness. While she might have rage on her side, that same rage that now powered her would ultimately exhaust her. Qui-Gon again switched his style, drawing from the most defensive of the Forms, and thus the one that most Padawans were taught from the beginning. Though the focus on the defensive would ultimately wear him down, Valdra would exhaust herself physically long before Qui-Gon's reserves gave out.

"You can't simply defend and expect to win," Valdra said.

"Your focus on winning will be your undoing," Qui-Gon said. He had to find a way to reach her, to draw her back from the abyss that she seemed so determined to plunge headlong into. By allowing herself to submit to the proceedings, she had shown that she could be reasoned with. The Dark Side hadn't consumed her so fully that she had abandoned all logic.

That's all for now, I'm afraid. I've got most of the next post written, just have to finish off a few things to get it ready to go.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Brilliant!!! =D= Insightful and action packed. @};-

8. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Very good start to this fight...and I love the bits of wisdom he's throwing at her...although will she catch any of it?

I am a sucker for peoples reactions, and I'm just dying to know what the Vulcans and Capt. Kirk and everyone thinks about what Qui-Gon is doing, about the way he is fighting her, his words, etc. That's just me though...I will watch someone else's reaction to a movie I previously enjoyed rather than the movie often times, and I'll leave gifts unopened while I watch others react to theirs...

Can't wait for the next part...make it soon, ok? :D

Jade_eyes likes this.
  9. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Jade_eyes: Glad you liked the action,

obimom: She's missing out on just about everything Qui-Gon's trying to teach her, just like Anakin managed to ignore everything Obi-Wan tried to tell him after Ani became Vader. I think you'll see a little bit of reaction in today's post.

Tholme pushed the table off of himself. He cursed himself for letting the would-be Sith catch him by surprise. "Obi-Wan, attend to the First Minister. Quinlan, see if you can get to that panel over on the wall. Do not let her see you."

"What will you be doing, Master?" Quin asked.

"I will be meditating," Tholme said.

"At a time like this?" Quin asked, his voice showing his obvious surprise. "i really don't think that this is really the time."

"There is no better time," Tholme said. "I may not be as skilled in battle meditation as Masters Poof or Rancisis, but perhaps I can offer Qui-Gon my aid as he deals with the most imminent threat.

"Captain, there seems to be great deal of consternation centered around the conference room where the asylum hearing is being held," Uhura said, turning from her station. I've had at least one report of an energy blade coming through the ceiling."

"The Jedi weren't supposed to be involved in today's session, were they?" Kirk asked. He thumbed the comm switch built into the command chair's armrest. "Kirk to conference room." There was no reply. "Kirk to Lieutenent Sanava." Still no reply was forthcoming. If the second chair couldn't respond, there was little chance the lawyer serving as first chair would be able to either. He turned to Spock. "Any chance they're in recess?"

"The Minister has not seen fit to inform me of all changes," Spock said. "But I believe they should be nearing the end of the arguments."

"Captain!" Uhura said, "a crewmember reports a battle going on in the conference room."

"That's it," Kirk said, shooting to his feet. He thumbed the conn again. "Bones, meet me outside the conference room. Spock, you're in command until I get back." He turned to Uhura. "Keep trying to reach somebody down there. I want to know just what they're doing to my ship."

_

"You just don't get it, do you?" Valdra said over the clash of the lightsabers. "These people are weak. They don't see the greater picture. They can't undertsand that what they see as important matters little to the galaxy at large."

"And yet they manage to do great things," Qui-Gon replied. Was he beginning to get through to her? Maybe, he thought, if he could keep her talking, she'd finally listen to reason and surrender herself to the Jedi.

"More often by accident than by any intent," Valdra said with a snort. "That's why I've been doing what I've been doing. If those with power listen to me, and submit to what I can see as obvious, the world would be a better place. Surely you've seen the waste, Master Jedi. The Federation, their allies? They couldn't stop Nero from blowing Vulcan to bits. They couldn't stop a corrupt politician from seizing power on Vega. Who knows what other threats sit out there, ignored by those too blind to see them?" Even as sh spoke, she continued to pound away at Qui-Gon's defenses.

"People make mistakes," Qui-Gon said, deflecting yet another swipe as he took a step back. Perhaps he could lure her into a state of overconfidence. Then, when she overstepped her bounds, he would be in a position to take advantage and put an end to this.

"They certainly do," Valdra said. "That's why people need to be controlled. When their talents are put to one effort instead of working at cross-purposes..."

"And what happens to freedom?" Qui-Gon said. "You speak as if you would take away free will."

"Some people wouldn't know the right thing to do if it walked up and smacked them in the face. But we have the advantage of what we see."

"And that gives us the right to dictate what is right for someone else? What happens if we're wrong?"

"The Force guides us. Surely if we listen to it, we can see what is right all the time."

Qui-Gon shook his head. "You don't understand. The Force can guide us, but we ultimately have to make a decision about what we do."

"And as long as we listen to the Force..."

"That still doesn't give us the right to become dictators," Qui-Gon said.

"So you would rather pledge yourself to someone who can't see what he's doing, even if it's going to lead to tragedy? Look at this ship, for example. Everybody trusted Pike, and when he ran off half-cocked, he left a Vulcan and a human who couldn't stand each other in charge? What if Spock had ignored Kirk completely? Or if Scott's attempt to dump the core had failed?

"Except that these things didn't happen, did they?"

"It's only by sheer luck they didn't happen," Valdra replied. She was caught up enough that she didn't hear the doors slide open. Kirk & McCoy stood there, agape.

Kirk was the first to regain his voice. "What in the worlds..."

"Captain Kirk," Valdra said, her voice so honeyed that it was almost sickly sweet. "Master Qui-Gon was just trying to convince me that I should give up and accept that people will only learn from mistakes. Should I listen to him?"

"What I think doesn't matter. What does matter is that I'll have you both in the brig if you don't stand down immediately." Neither moved. Then Qui-Gon, with a wary glance at his opponent, shut down the blue-white blade. He tossed the weapon back to Obi-Wan, who, with the other two Jedi, was approaching.

"Master Qui-Gon only acted as he did in order to protect the officers and officials present," Tholme said. "Jedi do not use the Force to attack."

"And Jim's just supposed to take your word for it?" McCoy said, regaining his voice. "It does take two people for a duel to begin, doesn't it?"

"Bones, stay out of this," Kirk said. "However this got started, it ends now."

That's all I've got for now, I'm afraid. I'll try to get something written in the relatively near future, but I'm trying to get outside and exercise a bit more while the weather is nice.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved the discussion and Jim's take-charge attitude :*

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved the posts with the fight and Valdra's reactions.
    And Kirk taking command.
    Nice tie-in with Nero

Jade_eyes likes this.
  12. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Nyota's Heart: Interesting change in your name. Glad you liked seeing Jim take charge. But then, that shouldn't have come as a surprise, I hope.

Okay, I know I've been gone for quite a while, but I had no idea it had been over two months since I'd posted. All that overtime I've been working really cut into my writing time. The next post is ready, so I hope I haven't lost everybody!

Chapter 13

"Dark Side of the Force or not, you agreed to obey certain rules while aboard my ship," Kirk said. "Turning the conference room into a dueling hall was certainly out of bounds."

"While I regret the actions I was forced to take," Qui-Gon said, "the actions were necessary. Furthermore, had I not acted to distract her, Ms. Valdra might have used her abilities to seize control of the Enterprise. Had that happened, Captain, you and I would not be having this conversation." With the conference room undergoing a facelift after the duel between Qui-Gon and Valdra, Kirk was meeting with the two Jedi Masters in the primary mess hall.

"Nonetheless, when I give an order aboard this ship, I expect that it will be obeyed," Kirk replied.

"Captain, are you implying that you have never taken action when you thought the cause was justified, even if your orders were to the contrary?" Tholme smiled, realizing that Qui-Gon had caught the captain. If he argued with Qui-Gon, there was the fact that he'd been under orders to stay off Vega. if he agreed, then the undercut his own case.

"You're right, Master Qui-Gon," Kirk said after a few moments in which he visibly fought to find a way out of Qui-Gon's logical trap. "Sometimes action must be taken that flies in the face of orders. But the argument for said action should be made with someone. I only took action after I'd consulted with Admiral Pike and knew that things on Vega had gone from bad to worse."

"I know how you feel, Captain, perhaps more than you know," Qui-Gon said. "I've argued with my own Masters, and at times, gone completely against their recommendations, because I could feel that the Living Force required it of me. My own apprentice has often cautioned me not to defy the Jedi Council. But when one knows in one's heart that the action they take is correct..."

"Are we the ones to decide what action is correct, in all circumstances?" Spock asked. "Logic dictates that what is right for one may not be right for another, as each person is an entity in and of itself."

"You speak of logic, Commander Spock," Tholme said. "But doesn't logic dictate that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?"

"I would accept that as an axiom," Spock replied.

"Then we must look at all those whom Valdra would endanger, and weigh their security against the freedom of one person. Given that, isn't there only one choice?"

"I can think of one other," Qui-Gon said, "though she is as unlikely to accept it as she would be to accept life in prison. Master Tholme and I could take her with us, and the members of the Council could decide hr fate."

"But you said you often disagree with the Council," McCoy said. "What if they decide that your actions were wrong? Or what if they say that they have no jurisdiction over her? Wouldn't ypu be unleashing her upon your own people?"

"It's a risk that I am willing to take," Qui-Gon said. "It's also what is probably best for her?"

"Shouldn't we at least ask her?" McCoy asked.

"We will, Bones," Kirk replied.

"It may also be time to consult with Starfleet on the matter," Spock added. 'Sooner or later, they must be informed about what has taken place here, Captain."

"I'm not ready yet to admit to Starfleet that I've run into something that I can't handle, Spock," Kirk said. "Master Qui-Gon, should your Jedi Council be tasked with deciding the fate of Ms. Valdra, what is their decision likely to be?"

Qui-Gon frowned, as he knew full well what Yoda would say. "Too old to begin the training," the Jedi Master would say. Nobody who had reached aduulthood had been accepted for training. Jedi were trained from childhood, to avoid the possibility of bringing into the order someone who had been corrupted by the Dark Side. There was no doubt in Qui-Gon's mind that the Council would never permit Valdra to be trained.

"They will not allow her to be trained as a Jedi," he finally admitted. 'Beyond that, I cannot guess. Her case would be...unique."

"Then you cannot guarantee that her life in your Republic would ultimately be any different than the one she now faces," Spock said.

"Not every Padawan becomes a Jedi," Tholme said. "The Council does not strop those who do not become Knights of their abilities. She could be trained to use her skills for the benefit of others, rather than to dominate them."

"Master Tholme, would you take on a student with her track record?" McCoy asked.

"I would not consider myself an appropriate choice. Nor, I think, would Master Qui-Gon. But there are some in our Order who excel at training difficult students."

The comm on the wall chirped, demanding attention. "Keptin Kirk, this is Ensign Checkov. The probe we left behind shows that the wortex, er, vortex is beginning to show signs of further instability. I would venture to guess that it will not remain open for much longer."

"Understood, Mr. Checkov. Prepare to take us back to the vortex." He thumbed the comm. "Mr. Scott, how are the engines?"

"Purring like kittens, Captain. They can handle whatever you need to throw at them...within reason."

'I'm always reasonable, Scotty," Kirk said. He simply got a harrumph from the engineer. "Kirk to bridge. Mr. Sulu, punch it." He thumbed the comm off, and turned back the group. "It appears we are running low on time. Let's present our guest with her options."

+++

Okay, that;s all I have for now. Something tells me there may be some parallels to the Kirk/Harrison confrontation in the next post.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super duper post =D= Great discussion, weighing all viable options. Eagerly awaiting more. [face_batting] :)

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice post with the discussions about training Jedi and the comments from Scotty[face_dancing]

15. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    I sense the end coming to this story. I wonder if Valdra will go with the Jedi...she may if she thinks she can control things in the Jedi world...but if she thinks that she woefully under estimates the Jedi and their abilities to stop her..

But if she realized that by going to the SW universe, she will not be unique..she may not want to be there...

Interesting to see how this plays out.

Enjoyed the discussion on logic...and I hope we can see another post soon. :)

16. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Nyota's Heart: Glad you liked seeing the options presented.

earlybird: Glad you liked seeing Scotty get in there. i realized, probably too late at this point, that i really hadn't given him much to do.

obimom: The story is drawing to a close. Valdra does, however, have an important decision to make.

Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and the two Jedi Masters exited the turbolift, and headed for the brig. The only occupied cell contained Valdra, whose hands were restrained, and three security officers stood guard in addition the brig's regular complement of guards. "You've come to taunt me again with offers of amnesty, I presume?" Valdra asked from behind the clear forcefield.

"The offer of amnesty is off the table," Kirk said. "You took that one out of play yourself when you assaulted my crew."

"I'm surprised I let the charade go on as long as I did." She smiled, and it was, without doubt, the smile of a predator. "I did enjoy toying with that Vulcan you assigned to argue for me. I was fun watching him attempt to defend poor, mousy, oppressed Valdra. Captain, it's evident to me that no one in Starfleet has the muscle to actually do anything. I'm one person, and I nearly took your ship apart. I'm surprised they let you command, given the lack of spine I've seen." Kirk's hands balled into fists, but MCoy interposed himself between the captain and the forcefield.

"She baiting you, Jim," McCoy said. "Pike wouldn't have given you his ship if he didn't feel you could handle it."

"You know, I'm of a mind to space you right now," Kirk said. "But that would be..."

"Against regulations?" Valdra asked. "Captain, your regulations are almost laughable to me."

"I was going to say against decency," Kirk said. 'Instead, I'm going to give you a choice. You can either stay here, and spend the rest of your life in a Federation prison camp..."

"Which I'd probably be running in six months flat," Valdra said.

"Or" Kirk continued as if she hadn't interrupted him, "I can turn you over to the Jedi, and let them take you with them as they return to their part of the universe. Of course, if you don't like those options, I can always end you right here."

"Captain," Spock said. "No matter what Ms. Valdra has done, she has not been convicted of violating General Order Eight."

"And what would I have to do in order to push you to take the final step?" Valdra said.

"Land on Talos IV," Spock said. "That is the only offense that requires a penalty of death."

"I cannot say what will happen if you come with us," Qui-Gon said. "It is possible that your future in our Republic would be no better than the one you face here. But as we have experience dealing with your kind, it is possible that you might be able to have some kind of free life."

"And you would oppose me if I tried to step outside whatever boundaries you set?" she asked sweetly, though all present knew that it was false.

"I, or other Jedi of my Order."

"Then I think," she said, tapping her teeth with one nail, "I shall accept your offer to travel with the Jedi. I think that after conquering the Federation, I would find myself bored. At least with them, I would have a challenge."

"If that is your wish, then we will release you into their custody when we reach the rift. Whatever happens to you after that, my hands are clean."

"Captain, how very Roman of you," Valdra said. "But given your name, that shouldn't surprise me."

"Roman?" Qui-Gon asked.

"My middle name is Tiberius, an emperor of Rome. I'm not sure about the other reference, though."

"Perhaps she was referring to Pontius Pilate, the governor who washed his hands before turning a Jew named Jesus over for crucifixion," Spock said.

"Why Spock, I never would a have suspected you had any interest in religion,: McCoy said.

"Religion is a strong part of society, and I am a scientist, Doctor."

"Perhaps it's best if we leave religion out of this," Kirk said. "Religious conflicts have caused far too much violence in human history."

That's all I have for now. More will be coming once I get it written.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I would never in a billion years mention the names Pilate and Kirk in the same breath. :rolleyes: Ack! I am glad she made the choice she did. Let her tangle with Qui-Gon if she thinks she can. :p Or Yoda. [face_dancing] That is one scene I would love! to read! [face_batting]

18. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Nyota's Heart: Actually, I think I've got something else planned for her. But telling wouldn't be fair at this point.

Sorry for being absent for so long, but there just haven't been enough hours in the day for everything. I'm working on what will probably be the final posts of this fic, but here's another snippet to keep things going.

Chapter 14

The rift that had brought the Jedi ship into the Enterprise's sensor range hung off the starship's port bow. It was roiling, as before. There was, however, one critical difference. Before, there had been a regularity to the swirls of color, the waves of energy within. Now, the colors were in flux, and the energy seemed on the verge of feedback. Spock, from the science station of the bridge, turned to the captain. "The rift will not stay open much longer. I estimate that we have little more than an hour before it collapses entirely."

"Then we had better get our guests away," Kirk said. He keyed the comm. "Mister Hendorff, is Ms. Valdra ready for transport?"

"Her guards report that she is, Captain," Hendorff said. "Master Jinn assures me that she will not cause any further disruption."

"Then I would suggest that you escort them to their ship," Kirk said. "Please express to them my thanks for their work in stopping her, and my apologies that I cannot see them off in person." Kirk thumbed the comm off, and directed his attention to the viewer. "Mr. Sulu, as soon as the Jedi ship is clear, move us away from the rift. We don't know what might happen when they enter, and I don't want to see us getting pulled in after them." He switched the comm on again. "Scotty, are the engines ready in case we need emergency power?"

"At your command, Captain," Scott's voice came back.

"The ship has left the Enterprise," Chekov reported moments later.

'Hail, them, Lieutenant Uhura," Kirk said.

"This is Tholme," a voice replied a moment later.

'Master Tholme, I wish you safe travels. If our paths ever cross again, I hope they will be under less strenuous circumstances."

"As do I, Captain. We will be entering the passage momentarily. May the Force be with you."

"In an old Earth tradition, fair winds and following seas," Kirk replied. Then Tholme shut off the communication. The bridge crew watched as the ship moved closer to, and then entered the rift. It vanished moments later. Kirk turned to Spock. Prepare and launch a probe. I think a recording of the rift's closure is warranted. Lieutenant Uhura, open a channel with Admiral Pike at Headquarters, and patch it down to my quarters."

"Yes, Captain," both officers replied within moments of each other. Kirk stood and left the bridge.

"Interesting people," Sulu said. "I wish we could have spent more time with them."

"They certainly have an interesting philosophy," Spock said. They were also remarkably controlled for humans, the Vulcan thought.

"You think that your actions are going to fix a single thing?" Pike asked angrily. "I've got the diplomatic corps breathing down my neck to remove you from command. President Jaraana has already threatened to withdraw his petition for admission to the Federation. This has turned into a bigger mess than you understand."

"Admiral, I saw something that was wrong, and acted to fix it. How is that the wrong action to take?"

"You acted without authority, Ji. In fact, you disobeyed a direct order from me not to involve yourself."

"If I hadn't acted, Jaraana would still be Valdra's puppet. Or worse, she'd have moved on to someone else. Can you imagine the damage she might have done if she'd latched onto the ambassador. I may have done him a favor by removing her for the equation."

"Jim," Pike said, leaning back, "one of these days, you're going to jump with nobody following you. There won't be anybody to pull you back. On that day, you're going to fall. I won't be able to help you."

"Admiral, I didn't join Starfleet to play things safe. I joined because you made me believe I could do some good. That's what I did here."

Pike shook his head. Kirk wasn't getting the message. "Captain, I hope I'm not around to see the day that you act without thinking about the consequences, and have nobody watching your back,"

"Admiral, I watch my own back. If I get myself into trouble, I'm the only one that I can always count on to get me out of it."

"And what happens when there is no way out?"

"There's always a way out. Unless, of course, a certain Vulcan is running the game."

"Real life is not the Kobayashi Maru," Pike said. "Real life has lives on the line."

"Indeed it does, Admiral. That's why I don't believe in the no-win scenario. When defeat appears inevitable, someone will step up. They just have to be in the right place."

"Heaven help you if they aren't, Captain," Pike said. He sighed. "I'll do what I can to smooth things over here on Earth. Enterprise is to return to her original mission. Get those supplies to the Vulcan colony, and then contact me for new orders. And Kirk, no side trips this time. You see some kind of rift, drop a probe and leave it. Am I clear on that, Captain?"

"Crystal, sir," Kirk said. Pike's image vanished, replaced by the Starfleet logo. That could have gone better, Kirk thought. But it could have gone worse. it could have gone much worse, and he knew it. In fact, Kirk wondered silently if he might have fallen under Valdra's control had the Jedi not been present. And then where would the Enterprise be?

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great discussion between Pike and Kirk

And what will happen to Valdra?

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Jim is right about someone always stepping up, or usually. [face_thinking] He inspires that kind of loyalty so that his friends will never leave him in the lurch. He's right too. Valdra was like a thermal detonator if left alone. :eek: =D= =D=

21. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    earlybird: Glad you liked the Kirk/Pike conversation. I had a really good line for Pike to deliver, wrote it down, then lost it at some point while writing the story. What I came up with again was close, but the original was better.

Nyota's Heart: Jim does invite loyalty, and given the scrapes he gets into, that's a really good thing.

Okay, it's been far too long, but I finally have the last post of this story. So as spring turns to summer, this fic ends.

"And so, my Master, Ms. Valdra chose to be taken into the custody of the Jedi Order, rather than face further criminal charges."

"Under close guard, keep her," Yoda said, his image flickering. Qui-Gon wasn't surprised. The issue he and Tholme had been sent to deal with took them quite a distance from Coruscant, and the relays that were being used, while among the most reliable, were still struggling to handle the long-distance that separated the two Masters from the Temple. "Attend to your mission, Master Yaddle will."

"We will wish to question her upon your return," Mace Windu said from his seat next to Yoda. "And of course, the Council will want a full report from each of you."

"As you wish," Qui-Gon said. "I presume that you would prefer we keep her under sedation until we can return to Coruscant."

"The wisest course of action, that would be," Yoda said.

"It would only seem a short reprieve, should we have to take action against her," Mace said. "It would not be a gift, but a torture to offer a glimpse of what she can never have."

"Then you do not believe she can be rehabilitated," Tholme said.

"Until we have spoken with her, we will reserve judgment," Mace said. "Bring her before use as soon as you return to Coruscant."

"Attend to your apprentices, you must. Allow her influence to corrupt them, you should not."

"I believe our apprentices know better," Tholme said.

"Know better they might," Yoda mused. "But tempting, the Dark Side can be."

"And when it comes in an attractive form, it can be even more so," Ki-Adi Mundi mused.

"Very well," Tholme said. "I trust that the Council will wish to interview us in person when we return."

"Interview you and young Vos, the Council will. Another task we have for Master Qui-Gon."

"So quickly?" Qui-Gon asked.

"The question of trade route taxation is reaching a head," Windu said. "The chancellor wishes to involve the Jedi."

"To Naboo, you will go. Negotiate with the Trade Federation, you will."

"We will speak more in depth when you return. May the Force be with you," Windu said, and the image shivered and faded.

"Seems like you get all the luck," Tholme said.

"I don't think of trying to work something out with the Neimoidians as being lucky."

"Better than playing baby-sitter for a dark sider," Tholme said.

"Let's just hope that the Senate doesn't get wind of this. The last thing we need is for her to get her hooks into one of them."

"Let's not even discuss that, Qui-Gon. The Council will deal with her. I'll take the controls. You should probably spend some time going over the history of the dispute with Obi-Wan. Somehow, I don't expect this will be easy."

"If it was something easily solved, the chancellor wouldn't be asking for Jedi involvement."

Epilogue

One week later...

"The Council decided that her power was too great, and too uncontrollable to leave free," Mace Windu told the newly appointed Supreme Chancellor.

"Deep under the control of the Dark Side, she was," Yoda added. "Concern ourselves with rooting the Sith, we must."

"To simply judge her dangerous, without giving her ample opportunity to change seems to run in conflict with all the Republic stands for," Palpatine objected.

"This is an internal matter for the Order," Mace replied. "The Senate has no cause to interfere."

"Are you then the judges of the Republic, Master Jedi?" Palpatine asked.

"Its defenders, we are," Yoda replied. "Unlike other threats the Republic has faced, Valdra is."

"I do not claim to have your understanding of the Force, Master Yoda. I suppose I must leave it in your hands. You know the threat better than I."

"Remain under close guard, she will. If redeemed she can be, attempt it we shall."

"I am glad to hear that you have not given up on her. And what of young Skywalker?"

"To be decided by the Council, his fate will be."

"That boy has the potential to be a great Jedi, and he has already saved my home planet. Consider his fate carefully, Masters."

'Guided by the Force, we will be."

"And may the Force be with you," Palpatine said, dismissing the Jedi. When they had left, his pleasant countenance turned into a scowl. The Jedi might be able to hold onto Valdra, and they might have killed his apprentice. But Palpatine was a Lord of the Sith, and such did not give in easily. He would wait, and save Valdra as a test for Anakin Skywalker. That boy would serve the Sith, and Palpatine smiled knowing that Aakin would think he was serving the Republic while doing it. The boy just didn't know how closely his destiny and that of the galaxy were intertwined.

So, for all those who have stuck with me through the long absences, thanks for reading. As Obi-Wan would say, "The Force will be with you...always."

Tych_sel

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent wrap-up to a great tale =D= Hee! You have old Palps pegged also. Slime-dog. :p