main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Crowd funding a fan film?...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Emphram, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014
    Hello everyone, I used to post a bunch at this forum several years ago, but I faded away. I had given up on my dream of making a fan film. Life continued, and I decided to give up the dream of film making all together. Strangely enough, I would find myself in a job where I had to make some videos for the company I was working in. I learned plenty of things from a third party video editor who was hired to work alongside me. Not only did I get a chance to work with professional hdv camcorders (such as the sony fx1 and the canon xha1), I learned how to work with software such as adobe premiere, after effects, google sketchup, a little blender and auto cad too. I parted ways with the company I worked at, and decided to work with this guy. This however didn't last long, and financial troubles in his business made us split ways. At this point again, I gave up. As everyone rejoiced that once again I was back in "reality", I did the rational thing and decided to go get a career. I started automation engineering, and I was barely into the second semester when my funds ran out, couldn't pay my rent, schooling, debts or anything, I went home with yet another shattered dream. Doing odd jobs here and there, I was able to get myself into a better position, when suddenly, a crazy idea popped into my head; why don't I buy a DSLR and start my own video / photography business. I decided to use some freshly paid off credit to buy a Canon T3i with a tripod and an SD card. I have been moderately successful, but as I still don't own a microphone or any type of lighting kit, I haven't yet done much advertising.
    I live in Mexico, so as you can imagine it is quite difficult to get any business off the ground. It is even more difficult to do non profit projects. I wish to do a Star Wars fan film. However, I am lacking still in equipment, and even though this year I might obtain some if not most of it through work I'm expecting to have, then quite possibly I might need to ask for donations for my project.
    But before I spend time on this, I'd like to know what ideas or suggestions people can give me. I've seen other fan films (mainly Star Trek fan films) get crowd funded, why can't a Star Wars fan film get crowd funded? The Italian Star Wars fan film Dark Resurrection VOL 0 got crow funded.
    Before I even try putting my project on a site like kickstarter (which doesn't like me because of where I live), I will have already finalized the script, done the casting, and have a good amount of the digital backdrops in a preview state, but I don't know if this is enough to convince people to donate.
    I'm planning to spend as much time as necessary in the pre-production stage, casting will be one of the final steps, perhaps just before crowd funding. In fact, any digital models / environments that the film needs will be generated during this time, not only to be used to show the cast what they are interacting with, but also to save time in the post-production stage. I'm planning to have a smooth and quick production. Everyone will be rehearsed long beforehand, all filming technicalities would have been considered and dealt with (and whatever unexpected technicalities arise I'm sure will be dealt with just as easily), and we'll try to keep the stage as short as possible. Ideally production won't last more than a couple months at most.

I'm probably already boring you, and it is quite late here, so my writing is not up to par.

I appreciate you taking the time reading this and contributing with your thoughts.

Good day.

2. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    There's a book out called Crowd Funding For Filmmaker's. You might look it up on amazon and see if it helps you.