main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books CRUCIBLE by Troy Denning: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jun 13, 2013.

1. TheDarthTony

TheDarthTony Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    Maybe that's something that we'll get to see in the movies or books. Maybe Vestara and Mitra will start working together, but eventually Mirta will make the right decision and have Mandalorians doing the right thing instead of just being paid to do whatever. We could see Mitra struggle with traditions and honor while working with a Sith.

2. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I think there's a significant difference between being excluding and insular, and simply being more at ease among your own people. That's more what I took away from their societal outlook, anyway. It's easier to be among people who understand you, who've likely shared in similar life experiences, who speak the same language as you...that sort of thing.

Consider it in the context of real-world minority groups: despite the world's ever-increasing level of diversity and interconnectedness, many people from a number of ethnicities find that they are still the most comfortable when they can be among those who they can relate to the strongest, who have been through similar things, and among whom they can merely be themselves. At the same time, though, they're still capable of working with and forming bonds with people from other walks of life, as real life shows us all the time. The same would logically hold true for the majority of Mandalorians.

3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    kind of depressed about Mirta and Vestara.

4. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

Boba should be dead already. He's like 200 years old.

5. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    Well, he's what, 74+ years old, and he's got a bunch of issues from the Sarlacc, but so what?

6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Honestly, ignoring the fact that I don't agree with your view, how much could you have to worry about? Karen Traviss is not writing this book and there has been numerous different authors giving us their take on Mandalorians since she left, including Fett himself written as something of a bad ass by Denning.

It is high time we see a different author's take on one of Karen's original characters.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm pretty sure everyone's relief is premature.

Darth Xalfrea likes this.
  8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I'm just going to wait to get this book before I jump to conclusions.

TheDarthTony likes this.
  9. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    He's 77. Remember he's "pure genetic replication, no tampering with the original source to make it more docile"

Arawn_Fenn and darklordoftech like this.
  10. TheDarthTony

Jun 12, 2013
    That is the right attitude, I hope that nothing that I said has convinced anyone NOT to read the book, because I really enjoyed it, and its a real page turner. I tried to keep my spoilers dry enough so that the best parts of the book will still be new for you.

11. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    TheDarthTony - you said earlier about the Big 3 that they can't keep up with the game anymore? Is Luke affected by the wound from his battle with Abeloth?

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd like to know, out of curiosity, if someone could read this book without having read any of DN, LOTF or FOTJ?

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Pity we got nothing in DNT about the wounds from TUF.

14. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Definitely not FotJ.

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You monster.

16. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Yeah well I still haven't forgiven the creators of Clone Wars for what they did to Barriss Offee so "haha"

17. TheDarthTony

Jun 12, 2013
    Yes, Luke is affected by the wound in Apocalypse, and he's also just old you know.
    I'd like to think so. They do a pretty good job of summarizing anything significant that you'd need to know, but since I've read them I don't know what it would be like for you. I remember when I started reading Fate of the Jedi without reading Legacy of the Force, I didn't necessarily feel like I had to go back and read Legacy, but it peaked my interest so much that I had to anyways.

18. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Ok, thanks. This is sad news for me, though. I could live with a little handicap - but both wounded and old sounds too much. After all, Luke was still gong strong in the last books. I was looking very much forward to ths book, but I'd better cool down or I get another CoO experience [face_skull]

That's one thing I'm VERY happy for, at least. Luke was stumbling around wounded all through the Bantams, then action lamed through most of NJO, like they didn't have a clue to what to do with him once he'd carried on the Jedi legacy!

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke wasn't that bad in the Bantam books. Just have him be in charge of the Order training new Jedi and sending them on missions and have Luke only come if the Good Guys need a win. Let Jaina, Jacen, Tesar, Tahiri and the rest do the missions throughout the galaxy.

20. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    Too late for Jacen!

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    And Tahiri, Lowie, Bazel Warv and a couple others.
    The 2 5 year time jumps were bad as well.

22. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I always hoped that they would use Luke's amphistaff injury from Shimmra eventually catching up to him, personally. I wish they started using it as soon as DNT.

Edit: God, I'm a few steps behind.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. kataja

May 4, 2007
    We can take that discussion to the SOS thread :p

24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    luke is not old!!!! It will piss me off if Disney portrays him that way. Luke is still in his 60's, and he has the force. It is like a 40 year old in our universe.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke's been in some fight or other for more than 40 years. That will have to catch up with him sometime. Time to move on. I love the OT generation but enough is enough. One last adventure as a last hurrah and set the next generation on their great adventure.