main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books CRUCIBLE by Troy Denning: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jun 13, 2013.

1. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Looks like you were born between the Special Editions of ANH and ESB. Jeebus.

Although come to think of it, all three Solo kids were born, the Emperor was cloned, and the Jedi Academy founded, all before I saw ANH.

2. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

I have never experienced Star Wars in the theater.

I remember when ROTS came out, but my mom didn't let me see it in the theater because it was PG-13 and I was like, 8. I had to wait for the DVD.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Only HTTE was out before I was born. I didn't find out that Chewie was killed until a year or two after it happened. Also 15th anniversary of that moment coming up soon.
    Didn't see the OT SE's in theaters. Just the PT. I want to see the OT in theaters so bad.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...I'm reasonably sure I'm younger than a lot of the people on these forums, and you're still making me feel old.

5. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    My kneejerk horror is frankly how first-wave fans would have reacted to me in 1996, so fair play I suppose. :p

I'll be 30 for Episode VII, so I'll finally be a bitter fanboy griping that it's not as good as the Star Wars I grew up on without realizing the fandom has passed me by ... you know, those people I hated when TPM came out.

Ulicus likes this.
  6. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

Don't Kark that Emperor clone just yet, you could potentially get that in the ST.

7. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Wow.... 35 is old around these parts.

Staaaaaaaaang...

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

In which case I will Kark that Emperor clone.

Wait...no...ew...

9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    yeah

I saw the OT before Heir to the Empire came out.

Grey1 and Dawud786 like this.
  10. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Yikes. Guess I'll check out the X-wing book. I had been considering the Legacy comics as well.

11. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Well, judging by the anatomy of the Emperor's clones in Dark Empire, I don't think they can kark.

12. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Looking back, it is interesting to see the first chapter of Denning's first Star Wars book as a massive foreshadowing of his contribution to the EU.

He kills off someone else's character, in a most horrific way, essentially replaces her with his own sluttier version, and in the process the Jedi endanger thousands of innocent lives because they're too vital to worry about such things.

13. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Oh I'm sure when VII comes out some cinemas will do a septuple feature or something ;)

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I've seen every Star Wars film in the theater except The Clone Wars. I don't think I'm missing much.

JediMatteus, Dr. Steve Brule and TKT like this.
  15. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    You're missing the people who talk during the movies and forget to turn off their phones. Last time I went to a movie, some guy spent the movie explaining to his girlfriend what was happening on screen and she kept asking insanely obvious question (Why are they going in there? and so on).

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah in the age of smartphones I don't really feel bad about the fact that I've seen like 1 movie a year in the theater.

17. TOD-UK

TOD-UK Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I don't know wether to be offended by these youngsters coming in here and trying to claim MY Star Wars ;)

Or feel gratified that the EU that I love so much has managed to pull people in who had never even seen the movies!

18. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I think we're obligated to make a "Get off my lawn!" joke once in a while.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But you can still kark them.

That **** was even going on during The Passion of the Christ.

"That's Jesus, baby."

:rolleyes:

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I find my movie viewing experience is often disturbed by a pair of robots and a guy in a jumpsuit sitting up front who will just not shut up!

21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    You should really just relax.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Can I just say that the ending of Crucible was such a letdown after the ending of The Unifying Force?
    I still remember the first time I finished The Unifying Force. That final chapter was so emotional and sticks with me after all of this time. That was the best way to end their story. That ending goes down as one of the best endings to a story ever imo.

23. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I will be too, though honestly, I really don't want Star Wars to "grow up" with me. Let it be like a Disney musical, full of color and spectacle and perfect for kids, with all sorts of morals and messages you can dig into as you get older.

And while we're sharing, I've seen the first four films (and The Clone Wars) on the big screen. My family didn't have the money to take us to V or VI when the Special Editions were in theaters.

24. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    So...Crucible was not very good. Agreed.

Regardless, these attacks on Denning (the only way I can really describe it) are just awful, regardless of how much you dislike his work. I'm not a Denning fan. Not defending his writing. But, jeez.

I thought the Traviss tirades were bad (and I am a Traviss fan).

25. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think we are entitled to gripe about an author is nearly universally reviled on these boards, and reviled because he basically killed the post-ROTJ EU single-handedly.

It's almost like he was a plant to make us want LFL to wipe out the EU and replace it wit the NEU.

xezene, Lando Swarm, AusStig and 8 others like this.