main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Crunchy

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Crunchy, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Hey guys, I just got Maya and Lightwave (found them on my doorstep last night) Where do I go for learning how to model space scenes and planet scenes?

I was told this was a noobie forum... ;)

2. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    could try the manuals for some info on the tool sets.. then use google to search for tutorials :p

or go buy some books on the software that have tuts and stuff in them..

3. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Mmm... no. I was told that IF I came here you guys would tell me how to do crap better than ILM... in 1/2 the time... by myself... with a calculator... using my toes... and one eye.

4. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    lol

I thought this stuff came with an ILM renderer so you wouldn't have to worry about setting up lighting or particles...

anyone?

5. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Having fun, Crunchy? lol

6. diabloblanco17

diabloblanco17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Oh God, you can't be serious. I mean, you really have to be a n00b of the highest caliber to come in here and imply that you can't even find the "Generate Photo-Realistic __________" utility.

But I'll grudingly oblige you. Find the button with the hammer picture on the toolbar to the right. Click it, and then click "More." Select the utility I just named from the "Non-existent" section of the list, and click "Ok." Then set the parameters you want, plug in the models, and go to Rendering > Render. From the rollout on the bottom, select "ILM High Quality" and hit the render button.

Was that really so hard?

EDIT: Oh, you're using Maya and Lightwave, not Max. I'm sure you can grab a copy of Max 6 off of your doorstep, though, so no worries there.

7. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    No I have Max7 right now and didn't want to import any of the models I had just yet since they are all in XSI format... BTW does anyone know a good converter out there??

8. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Hey guys, I just got Maya and Lightwave (found them on my doorstep last night) Where do I go for learning how to model space scenes and planet scenes?
    Yeah, it's not quite as easy as you've been lead to believe. The Space Scene tool is under a submenu of the "Make it look prefect" menu rather than on a toolbar like everyone expects.

There's also some configuration involved, because if you select desert planet option but leave the cloudy weather check box selected, it looks like rain clouds are all over your sandy planet.

If you're using space ships in the scenes, don't forget to drag-and-drop the pilot effector into the cockpits, othwise you'll need to key-frame animate the ships yourself (which is a royal pain in the donkey.)

Don't worry about lighting, since that's automatically handled by the "make it look like Star Wars" script that comes preinstalled with just about every CG app. (I think even the latest Bryce patch has it now, too.)

Hope this helps.
    Have fun.

9. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    that's too much work involved there, got any shortcuts or can I configure my keyboard for shortcut keys?

Alt+r+Tab = rain particles for my Kamino scene

Can anyone make me some models? I need some highdef models like for Theed, and Coruscant, and Bespin and a highdef DeathStar2...and I don't want to make a separate REQUEST thread for it, thanks!

10. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    Zoo. What the hell. You'll lock the thread of someone who's model YOU think sucks, but you'll let one like this continue? There isn't even a model under discussion here!

You're out of control, man.

11. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    A little fun and humor is allowed I'm afraid. Yea, I know it's a terrible thing.

Oh.. don't forget there's another thread like this right below... another which app should I use or something?

12. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    You guys are taking this way too far and doing way too much work.

If you guys had Premiere 8 with the 3DS Max converter plugin, you could simply set a few paramaters under the "Fan Film" menu and hit the "Make Fanfilm" button. Just remember not to hit the "Two Jedi dueling in a Forest For No Apparent Reason" parameter.

13. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    I read somewhere where there was a George Lucas simulator out there that could make and remake and remake and remake and remake your fan films as many times as you wanted till satisfied, I tried to do a Google on it...

Does anyone know where I can find it?

14. drippyzeo

drippyzeo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    I tried to do a Google on it...

What's a Google?

15. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't know really, I just mentioned so that I won't get flamed, we all do...

16. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah, the George Lucas Simulator is really easy to use since most of the program does the work while you tell it what you want it to do. And like the loyal ILM crew, it won't quit on you even if you redo your fan film 2 or 3 times, or more. And there is a new feature on the latest version that lets you cancel out all your previous releases when you compile your latest masterpiece. Along with that, the developer added the option to save your work as "Abandoned Film" or "Complete Film".

17. flaminsheep

flaminsheep Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2004
    I just made this in a copy of 3ds Max a genie gave to me: [image=http://i.1asphost.com/perceptionthemovie/sauce/cube.JPG]
    It's called the "Star Killer.";)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.