main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CSS & Netscape

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Lyart_Triath, Mar 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyart_Triath

Lyart_Triath Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    So I finish with this massive rebuild of a site I'm working on (not a fansite mind you, but I'm using it as a chance to testbed a few tricks that I'll use for my site <eg> Anyway...) I build the whole thing up in CSS, long-code, hour's worth of work. Check it in IE, looks great, looks prefect, no major bugs with different screen resolutions, then I open the site up in Netscape 7.0...IT LOOKS LIKE JUNK! Everything is totally fubar and I can't figure out why.

I knew Netscape had issues with CSS, and I've been using a mix of CSS and traditional HTML without any issues, but this 100% CSS and it looked like junk. I tried rebuilding the page using Composer 7.0's CSS utility, and the site plays fine in Netscape, looks like junk in IE.

Anyone know how to get CSS to look at least decent in yet another one of those things where I'm going to have to comprommise one way or the other to get at least 99% cross-browser suppport.

2. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Don't get me started about Netscape. 8-}

I'm not sure what help this will be, but I know one thing that saved me a lot of grief. For some reason, Netscape has a problem with font sizes in CSS (in the Mac version, anyway). I've got this line between the <head> tags:

.title { font-size:9pt; color:black; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; }

Now, typed exactly that way, the font size won't change, and the font-family might revert to the default. Even though it's the correct way to do this. If I type it this way...

.title { font-size: 9pt; color:black; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; }

...with a space between the colon and the number (in red), everything affected by that class turns out the way I want it.

Weird, huh? :confused:

3. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well I use Mozilla and it displays CSS fine, though it doesn't surprise Netscape messsed something up when modifying Mozilla. What version of Netscape are you using? If it's like Netscape 6, that was based on one of the last Mozilla beras (0.98 or 0.99), so an upgrade might fix that.

One thing you might want to do is validate your CSS just to make sure everything is valid. I tracked some mistakes I did this way:

W3C CSS Validation Service

4. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    You need to understand that the different browsers have different understandings of paddings, spacing, etc. For example, IE understood padding to be 0px if unspecified, but Netscape 7, Mozilla and Opera 7 all assumed it was 10px.

Additionally, IE doesn't like to handle float:left or float:right with percentage widths properly. I forget what the problem was, but I remember spending a couple of days trying to get it to correctly set the width according to W3C specs.

As far as I know, IE 6 still doesn't follow the spec as well as Netscape or Opera.

What I usually do is just test for IE, Netscape, Mozilla and Opera and if it works fine, I call it a day. I've made a lot of mad compromises to get it all to work, but I think my site should work fine in all those browsers. It will not work on anything less than IE 5.5 or Netscape 6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.