main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cube, X-Box, PS2 - Which did you get, and for what reason? IF you could get another, which one???

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by RebelOutlaw_Ace, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelOutlaw_Ace

RebelOutlaw_Ace Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 2001
    All good posts and opinions!

With today's three major choices, it really all comes down to a matter of preference for the systems, and it's interesting to see what choices people make. Too bad it couldn't be like the good ol' days, chillin' with an NES and playing Tecmo Super Bowl and Blades of Steel at a friend's house. Because, you know, it was the ONLY system around at the time, and games were only around thirty bucks.

*Sniff* Good times, good times.....

-Reb

2. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    First system that I got was PS2 last April ('01). I bought it for a couple of the games. Basically the EA games and the SW games.

I then bought GC (my wife got it for me at Xmas). I love Nintendo. Always quality stuff. This also was purchased for just a couple of games. Rogue Leader and Wrestlemania X8.

I do plan on getting the XBox. My wife loves Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so that is why she wants it, but I want it for WWE Raw.

3. yoda4982

yoda4982 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    I ahve an xbox and i want those to know that they wish they had the ps2 good titles, they are coming to the box, gta3, mg2, alot of them are, i like the xbox because of it hd and the graphics and the controllor is great in my hands so i like it, exctra cost seems to be a thing on peoples mind well you spend the same on an xbox as you do a ps2, see you have to buy all the same things excpet for on thing, xbox=no memory card...ps2=need memory card, so that 30 bucks you save not getting a memory card you can get the controllor for the dvd, bam you pay the same for both, but the box has all the extras.

4. Darth_Dragon_7

Darth_Dragon_7 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm pondering which one to get. I refuse to get a GC because I was very disapointed with the library for the N64. Nintendo started marketing more towards little kids for the most part and forgot about the more adult games. I have a N64 now and still only have one game for it: 007 Goldeneye.

I'm stuck between the X-Box and PS2. The main reason I want the X-Box is the built in hard drive and the fact it's faster than the PS2. I really don't want to give Bill Gates anymore money though. :p I already have a DVD so thats not an issue.

I am seriously considering the PS2 for 2 main reasons: More games(right now anyway) and Grand Theft Auto 3. If GTA3 was on X-Box, there would be no contest. I really don't want to bog down my CPU anymore by buying GTA3 for it.

So, to make a long post short, right now, I don't have any system, but I will probably buy a PS2.

5. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    I've played Xbox and PS2 before i decided what I would want at freinds houses...and the Xbox blew PS2 out of the water in my mind. The only big games PS2 has that Xbox doesn't are Final Fantasy (which i don't know why everybody likes...its one long movie with brief parts to play) and GTA3 with MGS2: Substance coming out for Xbox.

As for games not only did PS2 start a year earlier but you can alos play PS1 games on it. But for game quality...Xbox has no competition. Try putting GTA3 or Final Fantasy on Xbox...no prob...but try putting Halo or Project Gotham on PS2...ain't gonna happen. With the hard drive built in that means no memory cards. And since you already have a DVD player theres no point for you to get the DVD activation.

As for Bill Gates...he isn't the CEO of Microsoft any more. So you won't worry about that ;)

6. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    he's not the CEO anymore? what happened?

7. Darth_Dragon_7

Darth_Dragon_7 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    What is MGS2: Substance, Miin_Bodenna

8. Miin_Bodenna

Feb 7, 2002
    PISF, he stepped down and now heads one of the departments...i don't know what department.

DD7 MGS2:Substance is Metal Gear Solid 2:Substance which comes out for Xbox.

9. Riku

Riku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    I got PS2. It was a must because of Final Fantasies. So now I got all of them, from FF4 to FF10. :p
    Also I love some classic PSX games, which I could play with this baby.

I'm going to get GC also, for the new Legend of Zelda (omg, the new Link looks like some stupid elf!) and Rogue Leader.

X-box just sucks. Period.

10. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Miin. Think of MGS2:Substance as MGS2:Special Edition. It has like 200 extra VR mission, Some extra missions of Snake on the Big Shell. As well as a bunch of other little extras.

11. Kenobi217

Kenobi217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2002
    I ahve an xbox and i want those to know that they wish they had the ps2 good titles, they are coming to the box, gta3, mg2, alot of them are,

GTA3 isn't, it's PS2 exclusive kiddies. MGS2 yeah, but those are about the only 2.

i like the xbox because of it hd and the graphics and the controllor is great in my hands so i like it, exctra cost seems to be a thing on peoples mind well you spend the same on an xbox as you do a ps2, see you have to buy all the same things excpet for on thing, xbox=no memory card...ps2=need memory card, so that 30 bucks you save not getting a memory card you can get the controllor for the dvd, bam you pay the same for both, but the box has all the extras.

Not so. The X-box DVD playback kit is $30, the PS2's memory card is $25, $20 if you get a third party card (what I did.) And in terms of games, which I'm sure everyone will agree is what matters most, I believe PS2 is superior.

12. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    But how many people only buy 1 memory card? And the PS2 may have the bigger library (it should, it's been out for over a year longer), but I've found more X-Box titles that I like. Like some of us have said before, It just depends on personal tastes.

13. Miin_Bodenna

Feb 7, 2002
    X-box just sucks. Period.

You sound like my 7 year old brother when making statements.

And in terms of games, which I'm sure everyone will agree is what matters most, I believe PS2 is superior.

As i said before try putting GTA3 or FF10 on Xbox you won't have any problems...but try putting Halo or Project Gotham on PS2...impossible unless you get the Hard Drive comming out soon that's somewhere around 100$. And even then you're going to have troubles without the Superior Hard Ware of Xbox.

So in reality...no Xbox's games are superior.

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So in reality...no Xbox's games are superior.

Now there's an ambiguous statement. [face_mischief]

15. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Yeah well... well.... Well my dad can kick your dad's butt!! So there.

16. Kenobi217

Jan 7, 2002
    When I said superior, I meant that in terms of quality..next time I'll rephrase it.

17. Miin_Bodenna

Feb 7, 2002
    LOL PF [face_laugh]

When I said superior, I meant that in terms of quality..next time I'll rephrase it.

Well...almost all of the Xbox games are infact better quality. (while some arnen't worth 2 sticks of gum)

18. Kenobi217

Jan 7, 2002
    Like which ones, besides Halo?

19. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    The X box better? You are talking about graphics, which mean precisly...nothing.

Gameplay matters and until Mario and Zelda, the ps2 will rule.

20. Miin_Bodenna

Feb 7, 2002
    Like which ones, besides Halo?

Ummm...here we go..Dead or Alive 3, Wreckless, NFL Fever 2002, Morrowind, Tony Hawk 2x, Munchs Oddysee, Amped, Dave Mira BMX, Fusion Frenzy, Silent Hill 2, Project Gotham Racing, NHL 2002...do you really want me to continue?

The X box better? You are talking about graphics, which mean precisly...nothing.

You're right gameplay does matter...which is still why Xbox is on top.

21. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    if graphics dont matter then we would still be playing those crappy looking nes games and atari games.

22. Kenobi217

Jan 7, 2002
    I'll list some games that are equal to or better in quality than the games you listed:

Dead or Alive 3

Virtua Fighter 4, Tekken 4

Wreckless

Grand Theft Auto 3

NFL Fever 2002

NFL 2k2

Morrowind

Final Fantasy X

Tony Hawk 2x

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

Munchs Oddysee

Jak and Daxter

Amped

SSX Tricky

Dave Mira BMX

Dave Mirra BMX 2, Agressive Inline

Fusion Frenzy

?

Silent Hill 2

Silent Hill 2

Project Gotham Racing

Gran Turismo 3

NHL 2002

NHL 2002

Plus we have Stuntman, Guilty Gear X, Time Crisis 2, Hot Shots Golf 3, Devil May Cry, Twisted Metal: Black, NBA Street, Maximo, and Red Faction. All of those games are PS2 exclusive (for now, at least). Not to mention all the classic PSX games you can play on the PS2.

23. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    Wreckless

Grand Theft Auto 3

2 Totally different types of gameplay. Both good in thier own rights.

Morrowind

Final Fantasy X

Obviously you haven't played that much Morrowind (if at all) to know just how great this game is.

Amped

SSX Tricky

Again, while they're both snowboarding games, it just comes down to your tastes. I prefer Amped type of gameplay, while others prefer SSX Tricky type of gameplay (which is also on X-Box)

THPS3 and DM BMX2 are both also on the X-Box.

As I've said time and time again, it all depends on your tastes. Everyone is saying that (X-Box/PS2) is the best and everything else sucks, and posts a list of games THEY think is better than anything else on the other console. Well guess what. Not everyone has the same tastes as you do! I wish people would stop bashing games/ players/ systems just because it may not be something they like. And FYI, I own an X-Box, GCN, PS2 and a DC.

24. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I don't think you can compare Project Gotham Racing and Gran Tourismo. One is more of an arcade type, and the other a simulator. GT doesn't care how you win the race, just that you do. You have more car selection (you actually get to choose which cars to buy... though you also win them), and there are a lot more races. Project Gotham is for people that prefer trying to do skids, 360s and the like. You try that stuff in GT, you're going to lose (unless you have a formula one car where, you can catch up to the BMW and the corvette easy).

You also can't compare Morrowind and Final Fantasy X. Final Fantasy is an excellent game, full of a strong plot, great characters and animations. But, Tidus will always use a sword, and for a while, can only follow certain skill paths. Morrowind, your character is what you make of it. Follow any story you like (in addition to the main quest), and create the character you want. Don't want to use swords? Try a hammer, or magic, or both. It's got freedom that FFX doesn't. Two completely different games. Of course, FFX doesn't lock up when the file gets too big like Morrowind does (a problem with the game, not the hardware).

You can't really rely on someone with only one system to tell you the benefits of another, or tell you about the game library of another. They haven't played the games.

Second, you can talk about hardware specifics all day, but it doesn't matter. You could give me the top of the line skating equipment, hockey stick, etc, and give Steve Yzerman a cheap plastic souvenir stick, and Toys R Us Pokemon ice skates, and he'll score on me all day. It's not the hardware, it's how its used.

Metal Gear Solid Substance? Sure, it's coming to X-box, but, uh, PS2 users have already played most of that, and are getting it anyway. It's hard to slam one system's library while bragging about another's that is getting the same thing. If the PS2 library sucks, why are X-box users so eager to get the games?

The PS2 also doesn't have more games just because it's older, it has a broader support base than X-box. More third party support means more games. The X-box is growing, and quite frankly I wouldn't want to be in its way. There are games coming for it that I'm very excited about, like Project Ego, and Knights of the Old Republic.

And everyone seems to love Nintendo, which is odd, because the N64 didn't do very well. Blame that on the games being expensive to make I would say, and the hardware not very strong. But now, the Gamecube is one sweet little machine. It's like the Lotus Elise. It may not be the powerhouse of a Ferrari, but it takes turns quickly, and looks good doing it. Nintendo has strong first party games, and good third party stuff (like Rare).

I can't really answer the question of this poll, because I got all three. I got the PS2 because I loved the PS1, and I figured it would have the same glory. And it does. You can talk about beautiful graphics on the X-box, but have you seen the cutscenes in FFX? Brilliant. Like I said, it's knowing how to use it. I got a Gamecube largely because I wanted Rogue Squadron, and to continue playing some great Nintendo games, like Starfox, Metroid and Perfect Dark. I got an X-box because it's a great machine, and from what I understand, easy to program on. After a while, it will prove itself. I think it's already on the way. And it is more than Halo. That's an arguement only someone who hasn't played their games will make.

Buy any one of them, they're all good. But don't believe people that say, "<blank> sucks." They probably haven't tried the games.

25. Kenobi217

Jan 7, 2002
    Well, I would agree, it does depend on your tastes. The only reason I posted the list is because he claimed that almost all of X-Box's games are better than all the PS2 games..which I think is untrue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.