main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cube, X-Box, PS2 - Which did you get, and for what reason? IF you could get another, which one???

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by RebelOutlaw_Ace, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich_meister

rich_meister Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I currently own a GameCube. Why you ask? Well when I was about 3 or 4 I began playing a little system know as the Ninendo Entertainment System (or Famicom in Japan). Ever since then all the consoles I have owned have been by Nintendo (SNES, N64, Cube) and I always know that the content put out on any Nintendo console will be to my liking now and in the future.

If I had the cash to buy another one (I don't) I would buy a PS2. Why? Well just a few days ago I switched back my friends PS2 for GameCube. He owned FFX, GTA3, THPS3 and others that came that came at launch that seemed very crappy to me and not worth my time. Those 3 games rocked. And another HUGE factor in my decision is that I really know nothing about the XBox. I played NFL Fever 2002 in the store and I hated it. Never played Halo. I know NOONE who owns an XBox. I really don't see what other games to play on an XBox I would like. I would wanna rent em first anyway.

Besides even if I did have the money for a PS2 or a XBox I would probably buy more games for the GCN. Because I KNOW what will be on the Cube will be good. Not all games will be great. Take Metroid Prime for instance. I will buy that as soon as it comes out no questions asked. I dont think I would do that with any other console. At least not yet anyway....

2. sdp

sdp Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    I got a Gamecube because I love Nintendos games but I bought a PS2 because they get pretty good third party games and bought a GBA since its the best handheld

3. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    its like the only handheld

4. RebelOutlaw_Ace

RebelOutlaw_Ace Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 2001
    it's like the only handheld

True dat.

"Vote for GBA for best handheld! When there's only one candidate, there's only one choice!"

-Reb

5. Kenobi217

Kenobi217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2002
    I think I'll chime into the discussion again, this time talking about online play. The PS2 has the advantage, IMHO, for 2 reasons:

1. Cost issues: First there's an initial fee for signing up for X-Box Live (which is the X-Box's online service, if you didn't know), then you've still got to pay monthly charges, which are about $20 a month, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). In addition to that, you've got to pay broadband charges, about $20-30 dollars a month, depending on your provider. That's a lot, if you total it up. Whereas with the PS2, you just pay for the broadband adapter (along with broadband, if you have it. If not you just use your normal ISP, even AOL will work), plug it in, and you're ready to go. "But I don't have broadband," you say. Well keep reading.

2. Broadband is required, along with an ethernet cable. All you 56kers with an X-box are out of luck.

All of this information was taken straight from xbox.com. Feel free to argue with me.

6. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Though I love the PS2, I'd have to disagree with you about it having the X-box beat for online capabilities. The only advantage for PS2 is that you can use both broadband and 56k.

But with X-box, the modem is built in (you save $40 there), and a lot of the games will require a hard drive for file swapping on the fly. For a PS2, that means another $100.

Broadband costs for the X-box are negligable. I'm paying those either way, with or without the X-box, so it's not a cost that I consider part of X-box's price to pay.

Finally, the X-box has one key advantage. I believe that all X-box online games will run through the X-box service, one fee for all the games opposed to PS2 where you might have to pay for each of them. In addition, having one service for all the games means that if you have a certain friend, you can find him or her in a football game and an RPG by one name, not two. Also, the X-box service will keep track of stats like how many times you've won or lost in a particular game, how many kills you've had, etc. That way you can find a player of similar skill, or if you find someone who you like in an FPS, you can also notice they play in the mech game.

7. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    Last I checked, the first year of X-Box Live was $50, and that includes the headset (which all online games are required to use) and a game. I'm also glad that it's Broadband only, so I don't have to worry about 56Kers (or heaven forbid 28.8) lagging up games.

8. jacensky315

jacensky315 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    Clone Wars. Does anyone have any news at all?

9. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    which are about $20 a month, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong

As Dum said it'll be $50 for the first year as an initial offering to Xbox users. After the first year the price will go up to around $100/year. Both in and of themselves are good prices, and $8-10 bucks a months pretty reasonable. I'd rather have 50/year all the time but if all the games are on one server and one price (possibly exculding galaxies which will probably be the exception to the rule) that is quite a bargain.

10. The_Rev

The_Rev Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm new here, but I do alot of research on consoles in general.

Xbox Live is 50$ for the first year, after that first year the monthly fee will be about $9.95. Remember that monthly fee covers every game, execpt MMORPGs.

Ps2 online, will cost you $40 for the adapter. All Sonys 1st paty games will be free, to play online until, Sony relizes they can make money off you. All 3rd party games like EA, Square, Capcom, Namco..etc...Will charge a seperat fee for all their games. So you could be paying 3-4 seperate bills. Some games like FFXI and EverQuest and Galaxies, will require the Harddrive.

GC online, as of right now, Phantasy Star Online is the only GC online title. Nintendo has said that the developer has to host and supply their own bandwidth.

11. Kenobi217

Kenobi217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2002
    I suppose it's very situational..I'd rather not pay and not have the games run through one server, no matter how much easier it makes it. And The_Rev, not ALL 3rd party games are going to cost, so far the only ones I've heard are FFXI and Galaxies. I agree that it would be pretty bad if you 56kers lagging up the game, but you've got to remember that a lot of people still do have 56k and it's different for them.

12. Jedi_Darth_Kane

Jedi_Darth_Kane Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    I have me a GameCube, I got it because 1)Nintendo has some of my favorite video games, and 2)I love the Star Wars games on it, and I also wanted it so I could have Rogue Leader, which I love. All the consoles I have are Nintendo, but if I could get another console, I'd get a XBox, because they have awesome games, not to mention other awesome Star Wars titles.

13. The_Rev

The_Rev Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    These are confirmed fee titles.

FFXI and all Square titles
    Galaxies
    EverQuest
    Auto Modellista (Capcom's Cell Shaded racing game)
    In EA's press release they hinted on charging a fee to play thier sports games, called a "Sports Bundle"

I own a Xbox, and the second choice would be an GC. None of the ps2 games appeal to me. The GC on the other hand does have some really sweet titles comming out soon, Metriod Prime and Star Fox anyone?

14. RebelOutlaw_Ace

RebelOutlaw_Ace Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 2001
    Speaking of which, what ARE the online plans for Nintendo? At E3 they didn't show a single thing for it...

And, also, $10 a month isn't too bad, considering that most MMORPGs and such charge that much (or even more) for monthly service. Hell, for Galaxies and Everquest, that's not bad at all.

-Reb

15. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Nintendo's online plans? Non-existent. They're giving the option but 100% leaving it up to the developer and they aren't making a harddrive which makes MMORPG's and games that need a harddrive not possible. They have a self fullfilling prophecy of no profit to be made online. Think of the light gun, power pad and the power glove for examples of what happens when they offer something but don't back it.

16. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    PS2. I've had one since shortly after launch, and to me, it is the best one. I've been thinking about getting about another one, though I'm not sure if I will. If I do get another one, it'd probably be XBOX.

:) DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

17. JediStocky

JediStocky Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 26, 2001
    I've got the PS2, as it plays DVD's and therefore keeps the wife happy. I'd like a Cube to play Rogue 2, but can only see that happening in a couple of years.

18. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I own all 3 systems and love them all.

So as an honest answer, they are all just as good. None is more powerful than the other because each system works differently.

For example,
    the PlayStation 2 may not rely on RAM as much as another console may,
    but its "pipeline" is huge. The XBOX's
    processor may not be as "powerful" (loose term) as the
    PlayStation 2 or the Game Cube's, but it has an extremely efficient
    graphics processor. The GameCube may not support nearly as many polygons
    as the XBOX, but it has better texturing capabilities. The
    GameCube can also support real world polygons instead of flat,
    identically shaped polygons (which PS2 and XBOX polygon numbers are
    based on).

As for speed, they all share great speeds. PS2 is a little slower than X BOX or GC in that area. The X BOX and GC are on par with each other. I see games which load and save faster on GC than on X BOX and vice versa. Although, the numerous hardware test sites say that the GC is faster in loading and saving overall, regardless that X BOX has an HD, I say it is about the same, as both concoles vary depending on the games.

In other words, you can't go wrong with either system.

Because they all work and run and in a different matter. You cannot say one game can be done on one console and vice versa. It can. It depends on the developer. Because a developer will use each consoles strenghts.

Take a look at Metroid Prime or Rouge Leader on GC. Take a look at Halo on X BOX. Take a look at FFX on PS2.

Each system may boast, but all three can do the same with graphics because each one can do something the other cannot.

Of course, when it is just a "port" of another system's games, you will see a difference because one's consoles strenghts will not be utilized. But there are exceptions when you do see a port that is superior.

But when it is not a port and you see the game released for all 3 systems at once, each one is most of the time, made to take advantage of each consoles powers.

So, buy which one you want. You'll have a great time.

There is no superior system.

BTW, on an end note. Someone said it could not, but I have to add. The GC does support digital audio. Now only does the system and games support dolby digital pro logic 2, it has the slot in the back of the system for digital audio AND video.

I have my GameCube set up on my HDTV with digital component cables along with a reciever to take full of advantage of digital sound. Except for a few exceptions from some developers that left me baffled, most GameCube games support 16x9 and are progressive scan.

Eh. Rambled too much now.

So, who is eagerly awaiting Phantasy Star Online: Episodes 1 & 2!

Now that game rocks. I loved it for Dreamcast.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Miin_Bodenna-

>>T2Q...your willing to wait for Halo to come out...but your going to buy PS2 just for GTA3?<<

Halo will be out on Mac, GTA3 will not. WHile that situation does not apply to everyone, I prefer console gaming in most cases, but Halo (as presented at Macworld oh so many years ago) was always meant to be a pc/mac game, just got delayed because of M$'s rushing grab for games for XB. So, in the end, Halo was a pc/mac game ported to consoles, while GTA3 was a console game ported to pc. There's a difference there.

Oh, and as to be more on-topic, another reason to get a Gamecube is Eternal Darkness, which is just an amazing game and is so worth getting the system for.

20. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    Sorry T2Q...i was assuming you had a pc.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    S'ok, I should have made that clarification in my original post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.