main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cult Classics

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Darth Zane, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    There are two points to this topic.

1st: Name some Cult Classics you've seen and what you think of them.

2nd: Should Cult Classics be reviewed differently from other films.

For example: The Rocky Horror Picture Show, as a normal film, isn't very good. However, it is usually considered to be the original and greatest Cult film.

2. pkloa

pkloa Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2002
    i absolutely love the texas chainsaw massacre. that was the most profitable independant film before blair witch.

question: what exactly constitutes a cult film? is it restricted to a low budget movie that a small group of highly devoted fans appreciate? i think my definition may be off quite a bit. btw, i hate rocky horror picture show.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't think Cult classics should be reviewed any differently, not from a personal standpoint. I expect a cult film to effect me in the same ways a normal film does. If it doesn't, then, on a personal level anyway, it's failed in my opinion.

Example: Plan 9 From Outer Space. People call it the worst film ever made. From a critical standpoint, it flops in every aspect it's trying for. But, it made me laugh. An awful lot. It was hysterical. Therefore, it moved me in the same way a comedy is supposed to. So, it succeeded, in my mind.

Now, a professional review has every right to point out all the flaws, but from a personal standpoint, it stands complete and should be reviewed just like any other film. Don't watch a cult film expecting anything out of the ordinary.

4. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    I think the definition of a cult film is a film that the mainstream and critics generally ignore, but that a group of highly devoted fans love. RHPS is the prime example.

I havn't seen Plan 9 from Outer Space, but I seriously want to! If I ever see it I'm going to buy it no matter how much it costs.

Oh, and I love Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's hilarious and awesome.

5. Hounds_Tooth

Hounds_Tooth Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    Evil Dead Trilogy

These are hated by reviewers (at least I think they are) but are fan favourites.Something that is overlooked and is quite hilarious.

6. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    I love Evil Dead 1, I used to love Army of Darkness, and I've never seen Evil Dead 2

7. Ki-Adi Bundi

Ki-Adi Bundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2000
    You MUST see Evil Dead 2, it is a sort of intermediate between the other two, having a queer mix of horror and comedy.

One recent cult I saw was AI. Splendid design, great story, great performances.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Is AI considered a cult film? The critic in my newspaper called it beautiful and brilliant. AI is a great film, in my opinion, judged by any standards. So, there you go, no, you shouldn't judge a cult film by a different standard. :)

9. Ki-Adi Bundi

Ki-Adi Bundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2000
    I think a cult doesn't need to have 100% hate from critics. Just from the majority perhaps. But AI can't be a classic afterall, it's just too recent.
    But in the future I'm sure it will be :)

10. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    I don't know if i really consider A.I. a cult film.

11. Darth_name

Darth_name Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    Star Wars- Attack of the Clones

hey the critics hated it

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    The critic in my newspaper didn't. He said it was as close to the energy and excitement of the original trilogy as Lucas was likely to get in this day of media blitz and hype. :D

Okay, I'll shut up about my critic now. :p

13. Hounds_Tooth

Jul 1, 2002
    I think a cult film is a movie that wasn't made for many audiences but caught the wave of popularity and now everyone loves it.I'll name a few films that are considered cult films...all of which are good

American Movie
    Crumb
    Pulp Fiction
    Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Empire Records a great film, way better than any of that teen film crap out there that's soooo popular *gag*

And some people have told me The Usual Suspects is a cult classic and it's my fav movie. I think people who watch it almost every week and take notes make it a CC... *ahem* me ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    Up in Smoke is awesome. So is Pulp Fiction.

16. Hounds_Tooth

Jul 1, 2002
    I thought of some more

Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    Reservoir Dogs
    Halloween

17. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    Has anyone seen Dazed and Confused? I love that movie.

18. AnakinSlave

AnakinSlave Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Repo Man. A great soundtrack too.

19. Hounds_Tooth

Jul 1, 2002
    Dazed and Confused is a great film.I wish I was at the party at the moontower.

20. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    Houndstooth: Are you cool, man?

21. Fenix

Fenix Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2000
    The three Evil Dead movies are my favorites. Evil Dead 2 is great. A good mix of horror and comedy. Army of Darkeness is my favorite of the three.

Question: Is 'Good Fellas' considered as a Cult Classic?

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm not sure on that one... is The Usual Suspects?

Donnie Darko is a new cult classic, if that makes sense :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm not sure some of these movies you're naming are really cult classics. They seem to have a tremendous amount of respect in Hollywood.

For instance, GoodFellas was nominated for Best Picture among others. Doesn't sound like a small select group to me.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High was voted on of the 100 funniest films ever made by the AFI.

Evil Dead is shockingly respectable at this point, with the AFI counting it one of the 400 most thrilling films ever made.

I don't know, maybe the AFI has a broader view of classic films. While an idividual critic might watch the Evil Dead and see it as cheesy and corny, the AFI as a group can see the broad ranging influences it had on filmmakers like the Coen Brothers and, obviously Sam Raimi, who made it and also the appeal it has to the masses. Did that make any sense?

Can a cult classic become respectable?

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Okay, how about some real cult movies?

Anybody seen 'Kiss Me Deadly?'
    'Gun Crazy?'
    'Freaks?'

25. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    I just recently rented "Freaks" I'm going to watch it soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.