main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cult Classics

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Darth Zane, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Warning: it's fairly disgusting.

'Reefer Madness?'

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Now there's one I really want to see. I actually found it at a video rental place not to long ago. I passed it up for another film and promised to rent it next time. 'Next time' the place had shut down and it never reopened. I'm still kicking myself.

3. PeterTutham27

PeterTutham27 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    Is Monty Python and the search for the Holy Grail a cult classic? Cuz if it is, it's my fav...

Although Army of Darkness... you just have to laugh...

"And this is my BOOMSTICK!" hee hee hee...

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Maybe cult movie should be defined. In my view, "Monty Python" doesn't qualify for two reasons: a) it's fairly mainstream; and b) it had great box-office success.

Cult movies are usually obscure and eccentric. I don't think "Evil Dead" movies really qualify, either.

5. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    Here are some websites that are devoted to cult films. As you can see, most of the movies that have already been mentioned are listed, so I guess "Cult" is a fairly elastic term. One of these sites even lists Stanley Kubrick as a cult director. :confused:

Link.

Link.

Link.

6. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    An interesting and unusual cult film is Frank Zappa's "200 Motels". It is notable for Ringo Starr's appearance as Frank Zappa as Larry the Dwarf, and for the amount of swearing that Ringo gets to do.

In a similar vein as "200 Motels" is the Monkee's "Head". The difference being that "Head" looks like it had a larger budget, and is a bit more coherent and entertaining. It has a circular plot that ends where it begins with the Monkees commiting suicide by jumping off a very tall bridge. I highly reccomend it.

7. PeterTutham27

PeterTutham27 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    If the Evil Dead movies aren't Cult Classics, I don't know what is!

8. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Here's two I've seen...

"Harold and Maude" - very, very weird but strangely upbeat film about a kid with a pseudo death wish and his love for an octogenerian ray of sunshine called Maude.

"The Wicker Man" - cult horror film (still very, very creepy) about a little English villages' communion with nature... I'd heard heaps about this film (its in practically every book about horror films ever written) and besides the fact that it stars our very own Count Dooku, the last 10 mins are very disturbing (the start of the film is a bit dated and unintentionally funny)...

9. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    Just thought I'd give my two cents about 'The Night of the Living Dead' 1989 remake. Horrible movie if you ask me.

10. Jenavira

Jenavira Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 1998
    I finally managed to buy the DVD for "The Wicker Man"...it has quite a cult following among Pagan groups, but it's not really considered a horror movie in those circles. ;) Points to the filmmakers for doing their research, I guess.

Jenavira

11. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Forbidden Planet
    Fast Times At Ridgemont High
    Under the Boardwalk

I love all these movies. :)

12. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Rocky Horror Picture Show. Need I say more? ;)

13. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    The Blues Brothers

Best. Comedy/Musical. Ever.

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

i don't know if you would call it a cult movie, but it is a great, dark comedy. Brilliant! :D

14. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I think that Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels counts as a cult movie in the US, but it was a major hit in the UK(as far as I can tell). It spawned at least one parody(Lock, Stock, and Four Hooves) and a television series.

15. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    My favorite cult classics (movie and TV):

The Simpsons
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    The X-Files

16. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    How can you call the Simpsons a cult classic? It's one of the most celebrated and popular TV shows in history.

The X-Files is closer to one, because it developed a cult following.

17. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    The Crow is an awesome cult classic. One of my favorites!

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I can see the X-Files simply because it's better than most people give it credit for. It's a deep and introspective journey into the souls of the main characters. It gives you everything from comedy to fright to paranoia to tear jerking drama.

I question it's inclusion simply because any television show that had one of it's episodes voted one of the top ten television episodes of all time is hardly a 'cult series.' TV Guide magazine voted Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose as # 10 actually, if I remember correctly.

19. kenobikenobi

kenobikenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2002
    As you can see from my sig...I love the Evil Dead movies! I got to meet Bruce Campbell about 2 weeks ago and he was just the nicest/coolest guy! I've met some pretty famous people before and they did'nt even bother talking to you or looking you in the eye and basically shooed you away after you got their autograph. Bruce was just so nice and my friend and I talked to him for a minute or so and got our picture taken with him. It was just very cool!

I got Bruce Campbell's book (If Chins could Kill: Confessions of a B movie actor) and I rather liked the definetion of Cult movies that was in it:

Mainstream Movie- Movie that 100,000 people see 10 times.

Cult Movie-Movie that 10 people see 100,000 times.

:D

20. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    That sounds about right to me.

21. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    Cry Baby is a great cult classic

22. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    Looks like i killed my own thread. Just upping this in hopes more people will see this.

23. kenobikenobi

kenobikenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2002
    Has anyone ever gone to see Rocky Horror midnight showing where they do all the stuff (snapping the gloves, dressing up etc.)? just curious about what its like.

24. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    I've never been to one, but I think my dad had. He knew what all to do and he taught me some of the rituals. I've forgotten most of them now, though.

25. BKK

BKK Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    How about Flash Gordon. It's one of my favorite movies of all time. Also in agreement with previous post about The Blues Brothers being the best musical ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.