main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Cult Encounters and Supernatural Encounters (even more new Legends material!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    So for posterity's sake, anyone have a list of references to things speculated to be related to the Cosmic War of 100,000 BBY?

SheaHublin and Tython Awakening like this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Columni reaching out... Sharu draining their intellects into crystals after advancing on Aargau... Taung driven from Coruscant... Abeloth being sealed away for the first time... the Ones abandoning their (presumed) homeworld... the Gree, Kwa and Killiks being elevated to serve the Ones...

Conjecture...

The Old Ones are sealed in Otherspace, in the Chiloon Monolith, and potentially gravitic anomalies such as the Transistory Mists, Cron Cluster, Maw, Kathol Gate, being created... I’d go further and argue that hyperspace sinkholes such as the Stygian Caldera and Cloak of Sith were created then...

The Kathol Gate explodes in the presence of a Jedi with a cordless lightsaber during a Dark Jedi conflict ‘thousands of years ago’, which means post GHW and pre Ruin. Only one Dark Jedi Conflict in detailed in Legends during said period; the Second Great Schism, caused by the Sith, and involves Dark Jedi tinkering with Celestial artefacts on Vultar... perhaps Kathol too?

Similarly, the Soulsaber saga is tens of thousands of years ago, and we only have one recorded Dark Jedi conflict for that period too - perhaps the First Great Schism?

The 30,000 BBY Celestial-Rakata conflict ‘the True Sith War’ as we used to term it, involves the Killiks attacking Korriban, the Killik Sith, Abeloth seemingly escaping to Dathomir, the Unknown Regions barrier being created (perhaps), and the Ones retreating into hiding when the Rakata overrun the Kwa, Gree and Killiks, with the Ones moving the Killiks into the Unknown Regions presumably when they lose control of the Killiks and they attack Alsakan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    The Muurshantre Exctinction of 100,000 years prior to the events of Shadows of Mindor, per Cronal's thoughts:

It must also be noted that the Temple of Korman Lao and the Kanzer Exiles who worshipped at it would likely have been at least as old as the Taurannik Codex that "hinted" at them.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    Agreed, fully. The Cosmic War/Muurshantre Extinction in 100,000 BBY is a separate pan-Galactic conflagration from the 30,000 BBY Celestial-Rakata conflict. Just as the Ones/Celestials/Architects overthrew or otherwise put away the Old Ones circa 100,000 BBY, they themselves were overthrown or simply left behind by the Rakata, Kilik, and their other servant species.

Alternatively, the Cosmic War mentioned more frequently than mere chance could account for in early EU works could be the same as the Rakata-Celestial conflict of 30,000 BBY, and the earlier 100,000 conflict where the Old Ones were vanquished is simply that- an earlier Cosmic War.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ophidian Grotesques on the One world, Shatuun, Caulus Tertius and Coruscant implies some connection that I can’t per se divine, but Shatuun is near Kathol... Tertius is near Mindor...

... it’s curious.

6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So regarding the celestials, humans and duros and Columi.

There are references to the Columi encountering humans and other core world species and being unimpressed and uninterested yet at the same time they seem to encounter the celestials who scare them so much they become primitives.

Could the celestials have been involved with early humans, duros and the like? Shepherding them or guiding their development?

We know they created the Corellian system? Could human colonists have been transplanted by the celestials?

I mean if they can create a star system transporting humans to settle said star system should be child's play for them.

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  7. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    And Cronal, who is known to have delved deeply into lore lost since at least one previous Cosmic War, also happened to set up shop on Mindor. That might not be a coincidence. There could indeed be a connection.

If Abeloth was indeed involved in previous Galaxy-wide Wars, as the final FotJ novel suggested, and as the twin-star eyes in an ending panel of The 4th Precept can be interpreted as showing:
    [​IMG]

... there could also be a connection between this and another image from Visionaries, depicting "Green Coruscant":
    [​IMG]
    We know that Abeloth seems to be familiar enough with Coruscant, or at least coordinates to it, despite not having been explicitly said to have been there before, then perhaps this can also be taken as an example of what Coruscant/"Notron" might have looked like a long, long time ago?

If nothing else, Wookieepedia seems to regard the companion work "Executor Executes" as depicting a canonical event, so why couldn't Green Coruscant also depict a real event or time? It can't be in the future, but it can depict something from long ago, much as The 4th Precept seems to.

If Abeloth has no real difficulty finding her way to Coruscant, per Apocalypse, she may well have been there before, and it isn't too much of a stretch to wonder if Green Coruscant is something that might have looked familiar to her on a previous visit. Just a hunch, but nothing contradicts it.

8. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Cult Encounters' hinted identification of Abeloth with Vain Goddess Onrai, Humanity's primal deity, definitely insinuates she's way more than "familiar" with Coruscant...

SheaHublin likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Circa 100,000 BBY we also had the Knell of Muspilli, who summoned apocalyptic deities from Beyond Shadows, and warred with the Warriors of Shadow at some point in ancient history, pre-100,000 BBY.

But the Warriors of Shadow were themselves offshoots of the Taung.

There’s mention of a battle between the two above a nameless moon in the Unknown Regions after 200,000 BBY, which is fiddly, but we know they became the Sorcerers of Rhand at some point... thus Cronal knowing what he sought in the Unknown Regions.

Similarly, some of the Knell apparently separated anew circa 22 BBY so that’s unclear how that panned out.

Bets on where Arhul is heading to complete his research? The Maw? Rhand? To see the Priestesses?

SheaHublin and darklordoftech like this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m gonna double post because why not.

My only issue is that we have references to Abeloth among the Old Ones, and also Waru, Gorog and Rozzum. We include Typhojem, Coda and Ap, but not Horliss and Tilotny, nor Wutszk. We also have a potential deceased God that Typhojem killed.

Yet we know that Abeloth joined the Ones that post-date the Old Ones.

I theorise that Abeloth infiltrates the realm of the Ones and they pursue her to our realm, which the Old Ones ruled. They uplift the Killiks, Kwa and Gree to oppose the Sharu, Taung, Knell, perhaps the Kanzer Exiles (unless they were former Old One servants who went rogue... thus the word Exiles... perhaps with Wutzsk?) and maybe the Columni.

Incidentally I forgot the presence of Ophidian Grotesques on Kesh. But at least them bring on Coruscant explains (Sith) tombs there. The Warriors of Shadow battling the Knell when presumably they served the Old Ones together is odd, but potentially their fight predates the removal of the Old Ones from our realm so they are infighting?

11. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I always liked Wutzek. I have that issue of the marvel series as a floppy.

12. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    The most popular Wutzek theory I've heard is that he was the traitor to the Old Ones, who is described as "amorphous," and it would explain why he smoked the Five and then seemingly never bothered anyone again. Tilotny and Horliss' absence from the list is interesting, yes, especially since Tilotny's surprise that Ap and Cold Danda have managed to "throw a shape" implies that she and Horliss are stronger than them.

I'm most interested, of course, in the Soulworm and Father of Shadows. The article insinuates very much that they're the two strongest, and they're also the only two whose whereabouts we don't have even a reasonable guess for, though supposedly the Celestials imprisoned the Soulworm at the Galactic core. Of the Father we've got nothing unless I missed something, though it seems he is the very apex of Dark Side beings.

13. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    How would a deity like this one work out?

I created a deity for my one of my cultures inside the sector I made which revolves around a being called "The One" (though this is a rough Galactic Basic translation of the name given by the culture). The One supposedly created the universe by removing his left eye and then formed life with the tears of his right eye. He then spent countless centuries teaching all beings the will to think and create (though at times they used them to destroy) before passing beyond the veil to fight an eternal darkness and preserve the light, with the Force being his gift to the universe he left behind to watch over more closely then he can during this non-stop infinite fight.

So who would this resemble in actual Star Wars content? I don't have access to the Cult Encounters thing and Wookieepedia is sometimes not very forthcoming.

14. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I am really excited to finally see this after all this time. I am wondering if I can fit some of this stuff into my "Edge of the Republic" campaign when I can start it back up again. My players stole a mysterious Sith artifact from the Damask Holdings facility on Mustafar (which they then proceded to destroy, which certainly means the owner will come looking for them eventually...) which is pretty much a Star Map that leads to the Talortai homeworld. So maybe the Talortai, a mysterious species known to have awareness of the Force have some knowledge of or connection to these deities? Maybe there's an ancient Sith temple devoted to Typhojem on the Talortai homeworld or something?

15. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I wonder how Arhul got into the underground city on Alashan? That seemed pretty permanently sealed at the end of the World of Fire arc.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    @Hamburger_Time.

The convoluted bit being that Typhojem also bore the appellation ‘Father of Shadows’, and we also know that, if the connection holds true, the Lady with the Locust Heart, Onrai, is Abeloth, and we know she is a One, rather than an Old One (though she may pre-exist the Ones).

The Soulworm seems curious enough, but I imagine it’ll entwine with Mnngal somewhere. Unless Ooru does, being liquid based.

As to Alashan, Arhul seems to have widely travelled for time, so I imagine he had funding and expeditions and so forth. Master Historian and all.

@Noash_Retrac.

Hmmmm. It could be Tilotny, being as she creates what she likes and seems to have little understanding of physics or time. Or it could be Ap, who has pyramidal connections across history so appears to be more active in our realm at times.

@Darth Zack.

We know so little about Fenn’s species... there could be something there, but the only Old One that bestowed healing upon its kin was Ooru... there could be something there.

We also have the 20,000 odd old shrines to Koroo, across the galaxy impossibly. Old One cult?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    darklordoftech and Noash_Retrac like this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Okay I'm really confused about what the conversation is about?

Can someone please clarify if this is legends canon or just speculation?

18. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    Very much a mixture. We can say for sure that the names being referred to are things which either existed in some form or are believed by at least some in-universe scholars/religions/cultists to have existed. The bulk of the actual details and how they fit together (if they are in fact related) are speculation, however. Either our speculation or the in-universe speculation of more modern-era characters like Arhul (part of what I was getting at here)

Of course, whether Arhul having these theories (not to be confused with the actual content of the theories) is Legends canon or not is a bit of a grey area since while the article was written as official content, it never saw the light of day until an unofficial release well after the Disney transition (I forget what status the 'unreleased' Adventure Journal issues were given, similar situation there). Personally I think the distinction is somewhat meaningless given that Legends content is no longer being produced. In any case the only new content it provides which is set-in-stone fact is that Arhul had these theories (and that Cronal's communiques existed, though their veracity is hardly certain given that he's Cronal), as the theories themselves could easily be entirely inaccurate like the 1800s understanding of dinosaurs, so it fits in pretty easily.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Hamburger_Time likes this.
  19. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Is it strange that all this talk of these ultimate Dark Side beings makes me hope there'll be some sort of grand finale for Legends? Don't outright continue it, but bring it back one more time for a last hurrah that wraps up the remaining plot points left dangling by the sudden reboot. DC Convergence but with Star Wars, basically. The Old Ones would make great villains for this.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    And also the only villains that could convincingly threaten the Legends NJO after Abeloth.

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I always felt like the EU was building up to Luke fighting the the leader of the Old Ones.

22. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I wonder what plot points it could address? What happened to Legendsverse!Ahsoka sticks out to me. And if they really wanted it to be a giant Convergence-style Author's Saving Throw they could revive Mara too.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe Abeloth when she comes back, attempts a ritual that would free the others?

SheaHublin and Hamburger_Time like this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    We have Waru making it across and then returning to his realm, the Charon, and the theory that Those Who Dwell Beyond the Veil will shortly return, keeping in mind that the Kathol previously worshipped the Old Ones. The Bedlam Spirits also seemed to have found a world they could interact with our realm around, and the Chiloon Rift was having to expand to conceal the Monolith there more and more. Similarly Gorog harassed the Endor moon prior to the Battle of Endor, and the Cult of Five were active enough to consider snatching the Falcon.

It would seem, that this particular iteration of the cycle was the moment the Old Ones would return because the Ones died. As Centerpoint was 100,000 years old, Abeloth only escaped by destroying Sinkhole Station each time. In our version of the cycle Centerpoint is destroyed first...

... I wonder if Abeloth would have turned to older Gods to enact her revenge against Luke and so forth. Perhaps even head to Mortis. It may be that the depths of Coruscant revealed more about the Old Ones we could discover, even as Kesh revealed more too. We did have a new Jedi Holocron about to appear in Legends, which Jaina found whilst on her honeymoon.

Questions, questions, questions.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Said it once (probably more times but point still stands), will say it again.
    These things are so much more interesting than what we are getting now.
    Hmm. Interesting ideas Sinny.
    Makes me curious to know about the Throne of Balance as well.
    Could that be like a Camelot type story?
    And we get a search for the Holy Grail type story after that?

Sinrebirth and darklordoftech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.