main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Cultural faux pas for 100, Alex

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Aug 6, 2017.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    There's so much ****ing irony in this that I don't know where to begin.

Firstly: Anywhere you go, the odds of finding an American tourist who not only hasn't a clue about the local laws and traditions, but won't respect them unless they happen to align with American values, is somewhere close to 1:1.

Secondly, my báichī lǎowài friend - at what point do you really think the Nazis and the Holocaust and all that had an impact in Asia? The Chinese were busily fighting off rapist barbarian savages aka Imperial Japanese maruaders. They didn't have a Jewish population being shipped off to Auschwitz or Dachau. They didn't have nearly two centuries of Catholic persecution of the Jews. They didn't have the memories of the first world war and the Versailles Treaty to curtail German nationalism. So why would the Holocaust have any ****ing relevance there?

So, one - when you're not of the nationality of the most offensive tourists ever, and two, when you find something that has a historical and cultural impact in both the West and China, then feel free to comment, báichī lǎowài.

Americentric ignorance on steroids is pure AIDS, with some cancer.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When I taught middle and high school language classes, one of the lessons I tried to teach is "Don't embarrass yourselves and the rest of the United States by going overseas and behaving as if the world is supposed to revolve around America." I get it. (I am loud though. :p )

That said though, I'm not sure why it would be OK for anyone, 70 years later when the history is readily available, to "play" with any totalitarian racist regime. The Holocaust had no relevance in Asia at the time, but I doubt it would go over well if anyone went to China and played "Imperial Japanese from the 1930s."

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They filmed that "comedy" about Hitler being alive in Germany, they'd have little problem with an actual historical movie.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I liked the part of that film where the actor in-character as Hitler went around Berlin and got some people to agree with him.

5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Some of it was filmed in St. Petersburg, but given they also filmed in Germany, I assume that it was for some other reason.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

OK, so basically you're doing what you said not to do here.

I'm unsure at what point people are losing their understanding of this point. The Chinese don't really care about Western history, not most of them; and as such, don't give a monkey's scrotum about the Holocaust or Nazism's place in Western consciousness. It's not even on their "off my radar-radar".

When China talks about internal disputes, and doesn't like it when the UN interfers in internal issues, it's actually quite true in most respects. Their historically most significant event is the unification of the warring kingdoms into a centralised, Middle Kingdom (中国, or Zhōngguó, the name for China in Mandarin). Their focus is incredibly internalised and Chinese centric. To expect them to have an awareness of the sensitivity of the issue is ambitious at best, and reflects the main challenges facing countries hosting Chinese tourists. They're a people as ill-equipped for facing the world as the Americans are, but subject to higher expectations and racist sentiment if they don't comply.

And racism? Ah, the innocence of the Měiguó rén. :p Asians are shockingly racist towards one another and other Asians. The Japanese have no qualms about mainstream discourse that suggests Koreans are a genetically inferior race. The UN even wrote up a report on it in 2005. Racism in Asia is not seen like racism in the West. Nothing in fact that you understand about the world can be applied neatly or even properly to Asia.

There's no defence for anyone travelling to a country and not knowing the laws. The ideal way to travel is to remember you are a guest in a country, and unlike the worst of the worst offenders - Americans, Chinese, and Russians anywhere; Australians, Brits and Germans in Thailand (or Spain) etc - not draw attention to yourself by being disrespectful. But there's a double standard between the Americans in this thread and the Chinese tourists, in that one ignorant group is unaware of the cultures of others generally speaking but castigates another group for doing the same, a group who are equally as unworldly and inwards-focused.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    IIRC they filmed part of it in St. Petersburg because the architecture there was similar to that of Berlin in the 1940's

8. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I think people tend to forget how racist Asian societies still are - and their racism towards each other pales in comparison to their racism toward Africans. It's also funny how Westerners treat China as if it's a state comparable in scope and scale of Russia or the United States. In reality it's of course similar in size to all of Western society (as well as Russia) combined, and with a continuous cultural history as ancient as the Greeks and a state history as old as Rome.

9. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yep makes sense. Ironic in a way.

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    In their defense, their own leader ol' Chairman Mao killed tens of millions more people than Hitler ever did. I guess they don't consider the Nazi's that threatening. Either that or their just idiots.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Glass houses, stones etc.

But I mean otherwise great post. By which I mean this was a terrible, vacuous post.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Personally, I'd go with the latter myself.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    白痴美国人 [face_plain]

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ender: frankly tourists the world over are shockingly ignorant, awful people. If there weren't entire economies (local or national) based on tourism, I'd say cultural competence should be an admission requirement.

But instead we stomach people speaking loudly in museums or walking into temples with their shoes on for that sweet, sweet tourism revenue.

If only cultural attractions could tame the selfie stick wielding masses.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

It's hypocrites I can't handle. Americans are as culturally ignorant as the Chinese, but these racist laowei hold them to a higher standard.

16. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016

PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Chief Sinophobe Juliet316 liked your post, so you know it's rubbish Jester.

Just try not being racist towards Chinese for a day pls.

18. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Pointing out the actions of a couple of people is not the equivalent to Sinophobia. Making that equation is. Congrats.

19. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I'm glad you have an opinion. An ignorant and laughable one, but at least you have one.

20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

What, that Americans are, by and large and when they travel, ignorant of local customs and cultures?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...n-beaten-up-for-giving-nazi-salute-in-germany

[face_flag]

Darth_Voider likes this.
  22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Anyone can be an ignorant sod, regardless of where they're from and what their background is.

A lot of those people come from America. But that doesn't make non-American citizens doing it better.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

The point was that the OP was ignorant of the fact that Americans are the worst offenders for doing this, and are basically not that different from teh Chinese when travelling. To call out their lack of sensitivity for the Holocaust, when their Jewish population was never under threat and their world war was EXCLUSIVELY with Japan is Americentrism; and that an American got punched for doing what the Chinese did is delicious irony that Juliet and MrAltRightRisin won't appreciate because they don't do irony or world travel.

24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh, I'm not disputing that the original purpose of this thread is misguided, and ironic given the added context.. Just generally stating that **** people can come from anywhere.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Please don't presume to speak for me Ender or say what my intent was in making this thread. I don't think what this drunken idiot did was okay at all, but neither was what the Chinese tourists did either. That was my point. When you go to another country, you should probably at the very least study up on any laws (beyond the obvious ones like murdering someone), cultural or otherwise that might get you arrested or (as in the case with the American), beat up.

Ghost, gezvader28 and PCCViking like this.